Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just wanted to see people's take on this.

We all know that animated characters are drawn to portray an almost impossible ideal when it comes to the physical body of the human being. Generally speaking, a lot of animated characters look good.

But I've always noticed that the two styles of drawing ideal men are different when it comes to North American animation vs. the Japanese animation. My basic observations are as follows.

American drawn male characters, particularly heroes, are generally drawn with large muscular builds. Starting from top-down, they possess wide shoulders, tapering off to a narrow waist. Usually to a 2:1 ratio which gives them a distinct triangular torso. Think Superman, Batman, Punisher, etc. The are also predominately drawn very masculine. Thinking WWF-Wrestlers with muscle here. No girlie-boys allowed. (EDIT: READ - Someone made a good point and gave Spider-man as an example of a skinny North American drawn hero. So not all NA animated males are drawn big and bulky.)

Japanese drawn male characters, on the other hand, are usually drawn more slender and have less barrel-chested proportions. This isn't always true, (EDIT: READ - And I said "This isn't always true", Meaning, excusing the tight pant wearing DBZ male characters and the super ripped male fighters of Fist of North Star or Street Fighter and etc.) but there are a good many more popular skinny anime-dudes than big-hulking ones. For example, Ryonin Kenshin, Inuyasha, Yuki (Fruits Basket), etc. And the other thing is, I've noticed there is less homophobia when protraying a Japanese animated guy as being 'pretty' or 'girlie' for that matter.

I theorize that American animation is targeted more at boys, but part of the culture influences of what an ideal male body may consist of. Being healthy and having large muscles defines men *rawr* and please, no girlie-men (due to the Homophobia in USA). Japanese animation, though, doesn't mind portraying a more gentle male character. The animation isn't specifically targeted at any one audience either, and is enjoyed by both male and female of any age. The slender body type can also be influenced by their culture. More skinny/slender guys in their populace than in America. But these popular male characters can also make up a lot in what they lack in physical stature for either having a likeable personality, kicking a** with martial arts, and/or having some sort of nifty unique ability or super power.

So, would anyone like to discuss? biggrin
slender.....cause it's like me the most.....
well...to be honest i prefer the slender.....cause it gives me much more satisfaction when a super skinny anime character just destroys somebody with there power....compared to the muscular guys.
Because Goku, Kenshiro and Gatsu are go slender and trim. rolleyes
slender and thin=better agility, faster moves

bulky muscles=more power but less speed

so I go with slender cuz its better to hit a guy a million times at once than to give only one and probably miss. 3nodding
MahouTragicQueen
Because Goku, Kenshiro and Gatsu are go slender and trim. rolleyes
That's why I said that it's not always the case stare But I find that there is something wrong with that series anyways when it takes them 5 episodes to resolve a 30 second fight. Not to mention the bulging muscle in the tight spandex brief underwear xp
I think people are attracted more to the slender character because it would be easier to realte to. I mean, not like pople are THAT slim, but your average comic reader isn't a professional wrestler (if even one is rolleyes )

So I think it comes down to what you can reate to more smile
Hmm, nice points. I like your analysis of American and Japanese body types. If choosing prefrence - DEFINATLY slender. xd So sexy.
I perfer the slender guys. They move much faster and dont need to rely on strength to get them out of trouble. Plus its so much easier to hug a slender guy than a big bulky one. 4laugh heart
I would pick slender because.....well...its hot ^_^
Well, at least we know what the girls are liking. Doesn't that make all you skinny guys out there feel more hopeful? blaugh
Hmm.. not sure.. but slender is waaay better... xp

the bulky ones are.. just.. to big eek
Slender guys... there hot^^ i hate muscular guys! there so ugly -_-
x3;; big muscles *nodnod* Fun to look at ..
Slender because they are cuter and are normal sized. I hate it when they are so muscular that they are bigger than a normal person.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff