Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Europe's GLBTQ friendly while the U.S. may never be..... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ANSWER ME
  ok...*cries*
  crazy person *stare*
View Results

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 pm
Today I went to a discussion talking about various and their policies specifically G.L.B.T.Q. rights. It seems to involve the level of "care" in society with principles of values from religion. Pretty tough topic to get into/talk more about without having proper sources. Anyway what is your take on this? Also I want your views on this picture as well.

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:18 am
Well for starters every country is going to have a different aspect on what should and shouldn't be.
But I think every culture is going to take that level of "care" to new heights, most likely based on religion which is a little sad to me.  

Philharmonic Helix

Unsealed Phantom

10,100 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm
User Image

If you're in the UK and you go to the university of manchester, you can email the person for the powerpoint  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 pm
I don't think the U.S will ever be G.L.B.T.Q friendly, or at least in my life time. I'm sure there will be more of a tolerance for it in the future, but as far as religous groups and people actually not caring about some one not being straight, I doubt that will ever fully happen. Religon is so high an importance in the U.S, and people who are even some what religous tend to be a little hard-headed when they don't agree with something.  

Werblergerble

2,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 pm
With these kinds of mentalities, it doesn't bolster any hope from me. If you're hopeful you can affect change. But with this pessimism, you won't change anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm
this is why I am moving to Canada where gay marriage is already nationally leagalized and has been for over 20 years  

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

FangedNinjaKid5

Thieving Senshi

15,400 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm
There is very little hope in america I'm afraid. I go to a K-12 school and I let people know I will not be be talking because on A Day Of Silence. They asked what it was and I told them its where I do not talk except to raise awareness about bulling in the LBGT community and explained what that was they got disgusted looks and they are only in 5th grade. I asked if they were still people and they said yes, but that its weird and a girl (5th grade mind you) that said "I know what they are." her voice was so disgusted as if it was the worse thing shes ever heard about in her short life. I tried telling them you love who you love. The boy shrugged and said its whatever that it doesn't change how he sees his friends, the girl, however, walked away. I see a problem that one who's had so little life can say somethings wrong if they've never experienced the love of someone who you give your heart to.

What I don't understand is how its wrong to love the same sex yet you love your parents or people in your family and one is of your gender. Its not the sexual love but you still love them and all love is the same. So how is loving your family right but loving someone you feel a deep emotional connection to wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 pm
TheLostAngel-Mika
this is why I am moving to Canada where gay marriage is already nationally leagalized and has been for over 20 years

20 years? That's a nice thought, but no. It's been 7-9 years, depending on the province.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:14 am
I would say by comparison LGBTQ rights issues in Europe are less seen, Europe is not necessarily more "friendly".
Also it's L.G.B.T.Q, let lesbians go first, jeez why does Gay always have to be in front stare (that's argument for another time).

The problem is America is too polarized at the moment, it's either your Republican or Liberal, and if your one you have to hate the other.
Republicans are backed by the religious upper class, which means they want their party to have religious values.
By the way this is grossly un-american, way-way-waaay back when they founded Amercia, they want a separation of church and state. Guess that ballsed up pretty quickly.

The USA will find equality for LGBT people when the church finally teaches unconditional love towards everyone, and thus backs down from LGBTQ issues, hopefully with many apologies and cakes.
So basically..... Never.
And Europe won't get it either, because although it's not plasted across the news (some of it should) LGBT people are far from equal, and probably the sole perpetrator is Religion, or at least that's how it feels.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:20 am
I honestly think that things will get better in America as well, just very slowly.  

bollier

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:02 am
Pink Slowpoke

Also it's L.G.B.T.Q, let lesbians go first, jeez why does Gay always have to be in front stare (that's argument for another time).

Does it really matter? =P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:59 am
bollier
I honestly think that things will get better in America as well, just very slowly.

I try to think this, and mostly genuinely do. But some examples of ignorancy make the future look bleak...

Regardless, I do believe that gay marriage will eventually be allowed in all 50 states...it might just take another 70 years.  

SharpenedMoonlight

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 am
we have already come a long way since 2000. serving in the military was a HUGE step for us and will help open more doors for our freedons and rights as time goes on. in very confident that there will be equal rights very soon in our lifetime.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 am
I don't really think it makes a lot of sense to compare Europe to the United States.
Europe consists of 50 different countries, all with different cultures and attitudes. Some of the nations are LGBT-friendly, while others aren't.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 am
TheLostAngel-Mika

Lol yes. I'm an American who also wants to move to Canada. The US just seems to be a shadow of itself nowadays. We're listening to the Conservatives' weak complaints and giving in to them to shut them up. Canada seems more like a no-nonsense country. If the Conservatives in Canada (or whatever that party may be called there) say "Boo-hoo! We don't want free healthcare! We're going to protest until we rot dead" or "Wah, we don't want marriage equality! We're going to kick and scream and cry until we get what we want!" the Canadian government doesn't say, "Ugh, fine. I guess we can postpone this bill until people calm down". Nope. Canada says "No. I'm passing this bill because I know it will be for the good of the country. If you don't like it, run for office."
I love Obama, in all honesty, but I just think sometimes he and all the other Liberals shouldn't stall anything he wants done for the sake of the Conservatives.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff