Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bento District

Back to Guilds

If you're a foodie who prizes creative plate presentation, this is the place for you :3 

Tags: bento, food, lunch, recipe, cute 

Reply District Food for Thought
Guild Project #1: Health Reference

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think about this project idea?
  Dislike
  Unsure
View Results

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm
Current Project:

Gather information on foods that have specific/multiple health benefits for the good of community. With this information, we can make more informed choices on what to include in our lunches! Sound good?

Please post any content or questions you have here and we'll sort everything out in due time. Do your best to cite your sources properly. Credit is important 3nodding Once we've got enough content, I can begin organizing it and using one of the blank subforums to get things going. Again, questions are welcome! For example:

Quote:

idea Looking to eat food that helps with loosing weight?
idea What foods should I avoid if I want to keep my skin clear?
idea I'm looking for a low-fat alternative to ____, what do you suggest?

Ask away, let us help each other! It can only help us focus on what's important to our District members! And don't forget to check out our other nutrition/health related threads 4laugh

arrow Nutrition: Food with a Purpose
arrow Healthy Stuff!
arrow Diets: What are you looking for?
Cooking Fats: What you need to know  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm
This is an awesome idea!

I think it'd be good if we complied a list of common foods people use in their bentos. That way we can provide alternate preparation methods, or healthier choices, and build from there.

Also, spices. Most people (me) don't really consider the spices they use. Changing a routine can help a lot in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

My main source: Drago. He's studying to be a dietitian and likes to spout health tips at me constantly.

Drago's Tips:
His favorite spice to pimp is Cayenne Pepper.
Benefits of cayenne pepper

It has a multitude of uses.
It's good for the heart, helps lower cholesterol, increases metabolism, aides digestion and much more. It can even help fight cancer.

Just a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, stirred into any liquid - taken daily - helps.
Can't handle spiciness? They come available in vitamin form.

Try sprinkling some onto meat, in sauces, spanish dishes, pasta or in recipes that call for any type of spicy pepper.  

koi19

Wheezing Nerd

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am
What works for me may not work for someone else. But at least sharing the information is a good start, and then of course that person can make adjustments.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 pm
I dont really have questions but I think this is relevant as far as the information gathering bit. I use this website to check the nutrient content of foods/compare how "nutritious" veggies are vs one another. But they also have charts for fruits, nuts, proteins, etc.

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html#Brussels Sprouts  

Duo-chan_in_wonderland

Yuki Akina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 pm
This is a great idea! And I was just thinking of starting back up with my daily bento. Things have been a little on the crazy side around here, what with the new job and the packing of crap; I think making my bentos may just calm me a bit. xp

arrow I want to lose weight, anyone have any suggestions on cheap health foods that taste good? I'm not much of a salad person, if I had it my way I'd eat nothing but meat. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am
Yuki Akina
This is a great idea! And I was just thinking of starting back up with my daily bento. Things have been a little on the crazy side around here, what with the new job and the packing of crap; I think making my bentos may just calm me a bit. xp

arrow I want to lose weight, anyone have any suggestions on cheap health foods that taste good? I'm not much of a salad person, if I had it my way I'd eat nothing but meat. sweatdrop

Beans are usually cheap. They even have then at the 99-cents store. TARGET is also a good place, but not all locations have a grocery section.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

o0 Mystic Mama 0o

Rainbow Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 am

I don't have any of my references on hand, but if anyone would like to research these you can ^^ Otherwise I'll elaborate and post sources when I have time.

Off the top of my head, some of the more common things I use that (I think) have lots of health benefits are:

Miso (I've seen all kinds of claims for miso, from weight loss to anti-aging to reducing cancer risks)
Fresh Ginger
Seaweed (Nori, wakame, etc.)
Brown rice and basmati rice (vs. white rice)
Different grains such as quinoa and bulgar
Apple cider vinegar
Garlic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:19 pm
My gaia activity as a whole fell off, so I am now just getting back to this. I think this is an awesome project.

As for foods...I know cinnamon helps with diabetes and heart issues. Other than that, I would have to do some research first.  

YourIcyDreams

5,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm
Just tweaked the first post a bit. I love the replies so far, lets keep going guys!  
District Food for Thought

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games