Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Your internal element Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 pm
This seems to be a common topic with newbie psychics in my area. (Myself included.)

Just what is your internal element? How does one determine this? In my opinion, just because you like an element doesn't mean that's where your affinities lie. Are there any tests what you can do? What is your personal element? How do you use it in your spells/psychics?

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 pm
I'm not sure I understand. Does this have any relation to how one balances the elements within them in some forms of Hermetic/magical training?  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:40 pm
I've researched into this field by accident once or twice. It seems that there is no definite without feeling diffident about the result. I've taken all kinds of test and each time I end up with something different and always because of the slightest change.

Sometimes that change is the limited number of things considered to be an element and their name. The best example would be Aether, the air of the above aka the breathe of the gods. It is called all kinds of things in different classical elements. The Japanese call it Void and Heaven. The Romans and us call it Aether or Soul/Spirit, yet others such as in the Wiccan community call it Spirit or Mind. Some consider it to be the equivalent to Light, yet Void is the equivalent to Darkness.

Possible Results
Air
Fire
Earth
Water
Spirit/Mind
Lightning
Aether/Space
Light/Heaven
Darkness/Void

However, you can still use these flawed tests to find the most likely answer. By taking multiple tests (Facebook, Magic websites that offer them, Myspace, etc.), you can identify and research about it to learn more about it. Though the results may not be credible, there is a chance. Just look for the most common result.

For example, for me most tests give me Air/Wind or Fire as my elements.
Strangely the Chinese and Western Zodiacs also label Metal and Air as my element. I've also gotten Lightning/Thunder, an element sometimes associated with Fire but known widely as the furious might of Wind Magic's true power.

As such, I have accepted Air/Wind as my inner element, with a fiery anger that releases the chaotic strength I wield as lightning. So whenever I try doing magic (keyword being "try"), I always follow the wind path or pledging to the wind or whatever is needed.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm
I know in Western astrology we have moon signs that could be considered an "internal" element. In that case, mine is water.  

Shadow Queen79

poniisan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 pm
For a while I thought that I might be a water element, but now I think that I am more an earth element. I think that finding out your element requires soul searching and self awareness. As for whether or not I find this information useful the answer is not really. I don't do spells because my mother has forbidden it. If did though I suppose it would be useful because being a certain element would probably make you better or more effecient at certain spells. Other than that it is more like a fun fact to know.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:52 am
The thing with finding which one element that embodies you is that depending on the metaphor you use, you could potentially be any/every element, and it's ultimately arbitrary what element you use to describe yourself. I'm a Leo, so I'm a Fire sign - but being a gay magician, I take part in the aspect of Mercury/Hermes, an airy, mercurial, or watery figure. My commitment to a balance between art and science could be taken as an airy sign or an earthy one, etc etc etc. So far I've not find much use in just ascribing an element to yourself and leaving it at that: it doesn't seem to help much.

That's not to say that they're useless, though -- I use the Thoth tarot a fair bit, so memorising the court cards by using elemental archetypes can be pretty handy, and it makes memorising traits of the Zodiac easy enough too.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

FudgeAndKisses

4,700 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:13 pm
I tooka test on a magic website and it said I was Air but took another that said I was Water and I don't know which one to use in my spells  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm
There's always those certain things that make you complicated to read, especially when you're testing online. One or two of the options to a question may make a huge difference in your outcome.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150

Satans Dolly

Beloved Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:55 am
In my opinion, Zodiac Signs are the best to get along and find your inner self. If you use other elements some won't feel as good using it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 am
Mitsh
The thing with finding which one element that embodies you is that depending on the metaphor you use, you could potentially be any/every element, and it's ultimately arbitrary what element you use to describe yourself. I'm a Leo, so I'm a Fire sign - but being a gay magician, I take part in the aspect of Mercury/Hermes, an airy, mercurial, or watery figure. My commitment to a balance between art and science could be taken as an airy sign or an earthy one, etc etc etc. So far I've not find much use in just ascribing an element to yourself and leaving it at that: it doesn't seem to help much.

That's not to say that they're useless, though -- I use the Thoth tarot a fair bit, so memorising the court cards by using elemental archetypes can be pretty handy, and it makes memorising traits of the Zodiac easy enough too.

Indeed that's my answer also.  

Satans Dolly

Beloved Kitten

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm
I would generally stick to zodiacal signs and their given elements, they seem to be more reliable than tests on facebook >.> And the tests are probably just designed around the personalities of the signs of the zodiac and give your answer based on which one you are most like, but with the addition of human error imparted from the test. Then again, the zodiac is not always so definite, as I am labeled as water being a Pisces, but more identify with wind in some ways. It should also be noted that I am pretty close to the line between Pisces and Aquarius, so perhaps I take on bits of both the signs? Ultimately it is up to you to determine. Read up on the characteristics and see if any of them match your own. Just be careful to not make yourself seem like something you're not just so you can pick the element you want, I used to do that sweatdrop good luck!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 pm
13east 666
In my opinion, Zodiac Signs are the best to get along and find your inner self. If you use other elements some won't feel as good using it.
I must testify to this. I've tried fire, water, and earth, but wind just feel the best match for me just like my sign says.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:41 pm
Allsixcolours
I would generally stick to zodiacal signs and their given elements, they seem to be more reliable than tests on facebook >.> And the tests are probably just designed around the personalities of the signs of the zodiac and give your answer based on which one you are most like, but with the addition of human error imparted from the test. Then again, the zodiac is not always so definite, as I am labeled as water being a Pisces, but more identify with wind in some ways. It should also be noted that I am pretty close to the line between Pisces and Aquarius, so perhaps I take on bits of both the signs? Ultimately it is up to you to determine. Read up on the characteristics and see if any of them match your own. Just be careful to not make yourself seem like something you're not just so you can pick the element you want, I used to do that sweatdrop good luck!

Oh, don't ever rely on Facebook quizzes. I just mean that the results can usually give you idea of where to look.

The majority answer has always matched up with my sign, so I think they can be used for self-doubt and trial and error.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 am
Dalcain
13east 666
I must testify to this. I've tried fire, water, and earth, but wind just feel the best match for me just like my sign says.

For some indeed.  

Satans Dolly

Beloved Kitten

Leeches in my peaches

Distinct Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 am
I am mainly a wind element, but I do have a lot of water qualities. My tarot is actually a mermaid deck, so that says a lot right there.

I believe a lot of it has to do with what you try to focus on. Sure, some elemental energies are going to be easier than others depending on what you're naturally inclined to. But its never a bad idea to try something new here and there.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff