Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
A Truth to every Myth... Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goddess of The Century

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I was wondering, do you believe that there is a truth to the Greek myths?

For example, the Hydra could have been a bunch of snakes,
or maybe Pegasus was so fast a horse that he appeared to fly.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm
Naturally, the earlier Greek myths evolved as explanations for certain phenomena. Storms were the wrath of Zeus. Earthquakes were the titans and giants writhing in their earthern prisons, or the displeasure of Poseidon. Volcanic eruptions were caused by monsters like Typhon and Ekhidna.

And other myths did develop around certain admired individuals. Erikhthonios, the founding king of Athens, was so renowned that eventually the Athenians claimed that he was the son of Gaia herself with Hephaistos. Triptolemos, the founder of the Eleusinian Mysteries, was likewise given a mythical treatment. And it's possible that certain heroes might have had a historical precedent, especially concerning the Trojan War.

But Pegasos and Hydra? It's doubtful they were modified legends based on real life encounters. It's very easy to combine animals and call them monsters.  

Akherontis
Captain

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 pm
Slightly off topic too, but why is Pegasos so popular? There are tons of other magical horses in Greek myth, and some of them can even TALK!

Balios and Xanthos, for instance, the equine sons of the west wind Zephyros and the Harpy Aello. They were owned by Poseidon and then given as a wedding gift to Peleus when he was married to Thetis, and later they were inherited by Akhilles, drawing his chariot during the Trojan War. Only Patroklos could properly manage these horses, and when he was slain by Hektor on the battlefield, Balios and Xanthos stood and wept amidst the fray. When Xanthos was rebuked by the grieving Akhilles for allowing Patroklos to be slain, Hera granted Xanthos human speech which broke Divine law, saying that a god had killed Patroklos, and that a god would soon kill Akhilles too. After this, the Erinyes struck the poor horse dumb.

So yeah, even Akhilles' HORSES were demigods. Well, actually, full gods if I think about it. That guy had every bloomin' advantage.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 am
Akherontis
Slightly off topic too, but why is Pegasos so popular? There are tons of other magical horses in Greek myth, and some of them can even TALK!

Balios and Xanthos, for instance, the equine sons of the west wind Zephyros and the Harpy Aello. They were owned by Poseidon and then given as a wedding gift to Peleus when he was married to Thetis, and later they were inherited by Akhilles, drawing his chariot during the Trojan War. Only Patroklos could properly manage these horses, and when he was slain by Hektor on the battlefield, Balios and Xanthos stood and wept amidst the fray. When Xanthos was rebuked by the grieving Akhilles for allowing Patroklos to be slain, Hera granted Xanthos human speech which broke Divine law, saying that a god had killed Patroklos, and that a god would soon kill Akhilles too. After this, the Erinyes struck the poor horse dumb.

So yeah, even Akhilles' HORSES were demigods. Well, actually, full gods if I think about it. That guy had every bloomin' advantage.

I blame Disney.

Goddess of The Century

jbsnickerdoodle

2,650 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 am
I saw it more as a moral between every myth.
Ex. the myth of king Myno's . I see its moral as greed corrupts. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm
Akherontis

I know those guys!
Hey, didn't Boreas have some horse children, too?  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

-Philosophys King-

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:08 pm
jbsnickerdoodle
I saw it more as a moral between every myth.
Ex. the myth of king Myno's . I see its moral as greed corrupts. wink

Ah but it has another moral to it: If you let greed corrupt you, you could become able to judge where souls go. Hooray for fair treatment.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Goddess of The Century
Akherontis

I blame Disney.

Welcome to my world. mad  

HadesPluto

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 am
HadesPluto
Goddess of The Century
Akherontis

I blame Disney.

Welcome to my world. mad

My dear Uncle Hades, I would much rather have your villainous misconception than retain my fat, slovenly, never sober self.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:55 am
@ Dionysus: Aren't you supposed to be a beautiful young boy in great shape? What has Disney done to you! T-T

I also believe that myths were told not only to explain natural phenomena but to explain the sense of wonder men felt in a world that seemed miraculous. I suppose that that is the same thing; but it is almost as if ancient people needed stories to spark that sense of divinity that they felt living everyday, like

What miracle is this that year after year, the earth dies but always comes back to life?

Thant kind of thing. It still is pretty amazing. I mean, we know how it happens now (the earth tilting on its axis), but we still don't know why. <3

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am
Akherontis

And one very, very bad flaw. whee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm
GreenInkling
@ Dionysus: Aren't you supposed to be a beautiful young boy in great shape? What has Disney done to you! T-T

I also believe that myths were told not only to explain natural phenomena but to explain the sense of wonder men felt in a world that seemed miraculous. I suppose that that is the same thing; but it is almost as if ancient people needed stories to spark that sense of divinity that they felt living everyday, like

What miracle is this that year after year, the earth dies but always comes back to life?

Thant kind of thing. It still is pretty amazing. I mean, we know how it happens now (the earth tilting on its axis), but we still don't know why. <3

Either a young, long haired man or a grumpy old man. Take a pick!  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Goddess of The Century

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've always thought Dionysus to be a young, handsome boy who wore tiger pelts. I guess since he was the god of wine, most people just give him a beer belly.

Poor Hades. I don't think the blue, flaming hair worked for him.
Haha. xD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 pm
Goddess of The Century
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've always thought Dionysus to be a young, handsome boy who wore tiger pelts. I guess since he was the god of wine, most people just give him a beer belly.

Poor Hades. I don't think the blue, flaming hair worked for him.
Haha. xD

If you think that's bad. You should see the atrocity DC committed when Hades was in the Wonder Woman movie.
User Image
He's the one in the middle! They made him really obese and have creepy looking Ursula features. Seriously where would they even get that, Hades seems like the least likely to be obese god and he acted like a hedonist.

For all Disney did wrong by making him a bad guy at least he was smooth and had a great design and a great voice. DC didn't get him right AT ALL. Nowhere EVER was Hades depicted like that. Oh and they made him a bad guy in Wonder Woman too.

[[On a sidenote: I actually think the Wonder Woman movie isn't a bad movie but they screwed up big time in their depiction of the gods (besides Ares) and it kind of rushed the origin of Diana.]]  

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Goddess of The Century

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:29 pm

... Pft.
That's Hades?

rofl

Greek Mythology Guild