Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
I'm a "Con Newbie," Please Help! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Blue-Eyed Monster

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:37 pm
Tr-ee
What should you wear at a rave? And what are group photoshoots like?

Raving:
* I tend to wear brightly colored loose clothing with contrasting patterns. Bright make-up as well. It's likely there won't be any black lights so UV body-paint and clothing is not necessary.
* Bring your own glow-sticks, the more the better. Often you can find cheap packs of them at a Dollar Store. Giving them away when asked will gain you a dance partner or a new friend, as they are a valuable commodity at a rave.
* Wear deodorant! The room will be smelly but at least you won't be.
* Hydrate yourself. There should be free water there, partake occasionally.

Photo-shoots:
*If you are wearing a popular cosplay someone will most likely approach you for a photoshoot. They will drag you (kicking and screaming if necessary) to a large area where there will be other cosplayers from your anime!
* Mingle! Maybe you can decide to do a cool pose with a few other cosplayers or make some friends with similar interests.
* Don't be afraid to be geeky/silly, after all - it's what you are there for.
* If something makes you uncomfortable be vocal about it. You are there to have fun; not pander to anyone's strange ideas (unless you like them).  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm going to my first con in October [Youmacon] and I will be dressed up as America
from Axis Powers Hetalia. Now, what should I be worried about, other than overheating? I will be going with my friends, them both dressing up as members of the series [England and France, oh and we are all girls].

Ping Nick Wright

6,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 pm
Ping Nick Wright
I'm going to my first con in October [Youmacon] and I will be dressed up as America
from Axis Powers Hetalia. Now, what should I be worried about, other than overheating? I will be going with my friends, them both dressing up as members of the series [England and France, oh and we are all girls].

Well, as far as Youmacon goes, last year there was a riot that got an America and an England (I think?) to jump into the pool together, cosplay and all. My advice would be to -not- do that. xD;  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm
Ping Nick Wright

I find when wearing cold weather clothes at warm weather cons, if possible it's good to occasionally go back to your room and "air out", so to speak. Take off the costume and freshen up a bit. You could technically do that in a bathroom I guess, but there's less privacy.  

Maruul

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm
Where would you sign up for skits/the Masquerade? My 1st anime convention is Inochicon, and I'm really stoked~ blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm
Quote:

Glomps, crazy fangirls, and people who don't know the series well. Also BRING WATER and if you can go to an air conditioned area or outside to cool off. I was cosplaying China in his military uniform when i went to one con that was in the basement of a hotel. It was super stuffy and hot down there. By the end i thought i was going to pass out from the heat.
Becareful if you are going to carry anything around. I tend to have a flag on a pole and a basket, both can become unkowing weapons. And don't lend them out to people unless you are going to be hanging out with them.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:35 pm
I've only been to 3 cons and I still don't know much, lawl. Which props aren't acceptable? I wanted to walk around with my fishing pole for my Animal Crossing Wild World cosplay. If that's not acceptable, I can always take a watering can  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 am
OhNoesItsMiho
I've only been to 3 cons and I still don't know much, lawl. Which props aren't acceptable? I wanted to walk around with my fishing pole for my Animal Crossing Wild World cosplay. If that's not acceptable, I can always take a watering can
Well, I think it would be okay as long as you didn't have a hook on it. But it would be good to take a back-up prop.  

Maruul

Inwe Fare

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:21 pm
Sadistic Rainbows
Where would you sign up for skits/the Masquerade? My 1st anime convention is Inochicon, and I'm really stoked~ blaugh

the cons that i have attended have had the signup sheets right at the registration desk/table, when u pick up/buy your badge. if its not there, ask, and they should be able to tell you.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:29 pm
and i would like to shed some light on the buy/sew cosplay bit. it really is a point of view...and being someone who typically sews their own costume, this is what i have to say:

buying a costume is perfectly acceptabe...granted its decent, and of decent quality...and you don't plan on entering the cosplay contest. people who make their own costumes year after year get really sick of people buying their costumes, entering the contest, and winning because of a good skit or something. (took my friend of amazing talents 5 years to win, and she deserved it every year)

and if you do not possess the skillz to sew your own costume, commission it. there are sooo many people out there with amazing talent, who are willing to sell their skillz to you for a price. the only thing is...just make sure the proper person gets the credit for the costume.

sooo...buy your costume from some site if you want...and plan to just run around in it, and steal no ones glory or spotlight.

on a side note: death note cosplayers tend to be disliked, seeing as how most of the characters arent really cosplay. it IS fine to run around in, but don't (for the love of all that is holy...or unholy) go entering the cosplay contest unless you happened to cosplay a shinigami  

Inwe Fare

Maruul

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 pm
Inwe Fare
people who make their own costumes year after year get really sick of people buying their costumes, entering the contest, and winning because of a good skit or something.
Well that depends on what con you go to. The one I go to every year judges them separately. They have the walk-ons, which are broken up into smaller categories themselves, then the skits. That way anyone can enter without making it unfair.
You know what's more infuriating than getting beat out by a good skit? Getting beat by a bad costume. Our friend makes her own costumes, and they're amazing. The problem is, she cosplays shows/people hardly anyone's heard of, so she'll look utterly amazing, but lose to a half-assed Naruto/Bleach/KH/etc.  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:29 pm
Inwe Fare
The problem is, she cosplays shows/people hardly anyone's heard of, so she'll look utterly amazing, but lose to a half-assed Naruto/Bleach/KH/etc.

They would be annoying. That's why I'm working hard on me and my friends cosplay!(Me and my inner perfectionist gonk ) I just don't like the idea of putting no effort into anything. It's not very fair to the people who put so much into it but get so little from it.  

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 am
Some ((not all)) cosplays at cons:
...put a cap on how many skits and walk-on entries will be accepted each day for cosplay, so be prompt.
...place you into different age categories.
...automatically place you in craftsmanship if you made at least 50% of your costume.

Things to consider packing/carrying with you:
...travel size Deodorant!... bring extra for friends ^w^.
...possible Fabreeze, they make it in travel size also.
...bottled water.
...sleeping clothes, many people get so excited for cosplays that they forget their PJs, XP. I was one of them.
...a small spritz fan/bottle. Fine mist is preferred.
...the mindset that you will shower each night!
...and bring some snack foods, heck, if the Hotel offers a microwave in the room we pack frozen dinners in our ice chest.

And yes, I'ld rather tell a friend they smell and give them deo then have people point and laugh about how much they smell.

Making a checklist of your needed items is a good idea too.
I even print out an online copy of the events list and highlight the must see panels and events so that I arrive on time to get a nice spot.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:12 am
Alright, so I'm going to Comic Con next month. I was ORIGINALLY going as a person from Naruto with my friend but the costume needs too many fixings xD thus I'm going as my very first cosplay... ever.

Zexion from Kingdom Hearts.

What I'm afraid of is I'll be traveling around with her the entire time... and She's obviously going to be more well known than me because of how Mainstream Naruto has become, COMIC convention or not.

I'm just afraid that, since I'm going from a game rather than a comic or anime.. If I should maybe rush to get my Itachi done rather than going as Zexion.

FatalCosplays

Timid Vampire

10,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers