Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
I'm a "Con Newbie," Please Help! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Before anyone says anything, no I myself am not a con newbie. Merely this is the title for the newbies to post in!

Got a question about conventions? Don't know what 'caramelldansen' is? Don't understand the difference between an artist alley and a dealer's room? Ask your questions here!
Newbies can ask their random questions about convention rules, etitique, etc. and us veterans can answer their questions to the best of our abilities.
Be as general or as specific as you want-- You can ask a question about something at a specific convention or something general, just don't be afraid to ask! We're not going to make fun of you if it's a "stupid question" or anything like that, just remember...

We were con newbies once too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:22 am
I'm a con n00b. the first convention i was supposed to go to was canceled and pushed back to next year. crying crying
Is there anything that i should be aware of before i go to my first con? Here is a question that i should ask a veteran cosplayer: what should one do if one is glomped by several people at once?  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

SickSo2

2,700 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:02 pm
What does glomp mean?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:28 pm
Veretix
I'm a con n00b. the first convention i was supposed to go to was canceled and pushed back to next year. crying crying
Is there anything that i should be aware of before i go to my first con? Here is a question that i should ask a veteran cosplayer: what should one do if one is glomped by several people at once?

Hopefully this doesn't happen to you (it normally doesn't unless there are a lot of creepy people) but if you do, just stay calm and if they want to talk to you afterward, just tell them if it bothered you. Don't care if you sound like a jerk. If you didn't like it, be honest.

As for stuff to be aware of, I'd be aware of your surrounds. Also, be aware of photoshoot times if you're going to one. They can get changed. Stay in touch with others cosplaying from the same series. They can help you stay in the loop. and just be yourself when talking to others. When you're honest about yourself, people tend to be more open and friendly.

Hope it helps.~

E t i o l a t e r
What does glomp mean?

Basically, a hug with a running start. Tackle hug, hug attack, etc. They're annoy.  

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:35 pm
thanks that help mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm
Veretix

Check the con schedule first thing, also get to popular things early (especially autographs, they cut off the lines at a certain point) there will be long lines.  

inky_T.A.E.

Dapper Conventioneer

9,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 am
-Blow Out Your Eardrums-
Veretix

Hopefully this doesn't happen to you (it normally doesn't unless there are a lot of creepy people) but if you do, just stay calm and if they want to talk to you afterward, just tell them if it bothered you. Don't care if you sound like a jerk. If you didn't like it, be honest.

As for stuff to be aware of, I'd be aware of your surrounds. Also, be aware of photoshoot times if you're going to one. They can get changed. Stay in touch with others cosplaying from the same series. They can help you stay in the loop. and just be yourself when talking to others. When you're honest about yourself, people tend to be more open and friendly.

Hope it helps.~

E t i o l a t e r
What does glomp mean?

Basically, a hug with a running start. Tackle hug, hug attack, etc. They're annoy.

Glomping! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:11 pm
Sorry if i'm clogging up this thread but here is another question. I've read mixed reviews about store bought cosplays. I'm planning on making my future cosplays, but i have issues with my sewing machine and i need more practice with making clothing. So i bought my first cosplay, i don't plan on being in costume contests, but is it alright that i bought it?  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:07 pm
Sure? There are elitists for everything. Why should I slave away for hours when I have little skill just to appreciate the anime/manga/game/movie character I want to be? As long as the outfit is decent, then you can go ahead and buy it. Sure, you dont get to proudly say I made it myself, but cosplaying isnt a sewers only hobby.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 pm
Also if you have the money and no time/skill, there are professional costume makers out there who will make a custom cosplay outfit for you.

I'm always amazed at the elitist attitudes among cosplayers. So just be aware of it, and just have fun making friends. If someone is going to get mean about your costume then they aren't your friend and you don't need to worry about what they think.  

mizducky

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Veretix
Sorry if i'm clogging up this thread but here is another question. I've read mixed reviews about store bought cosplays. I'm planning on making my future cosplays, but i have issues with my sewing machine and i need more practice with making clothing. So i bought my first cosplay, i don't plan on being in costume contests, but is it alright that i bought it?

Honestly, I don't think it matters if you bought your costume unless you are in a contest. In my own opinion, it's better to buy a good cosplay than to make one that isn't as well made. I have a pretty bad sewing machine (it refuses to work for more than an hour on one task) so I'm sort of forced to buy most of my cosplays.

If you have the money though, getting one tailored/ commissioned always works too. Or have some friends who have some cosplay making experience help you. It's never a bad thing to ask for help.

And don't mind elitists. Some can be snooty but from my own experience, they're just very busy seeing as people will keep stopping them for pictures.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:38 pm
im going to my first anime con in april and i dont really know what to expect besides cosplaying and anime realated things. is there any tips you can give to me? like for example what to bring and other things like that (oh and im not cosplaying by the way  

ChibiiNoodle

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:47 pm
ChibiiNoodle
im going to my first anime con in april and i dont really know what to expect besides cosplaying and anime realated things. is there any tips you can give to me? like for example what to bring and other things like that (oh and im not cosplaying by the way

Be aware of large groups of people, and go with a few friends or a parent to guarantee that you're safe. Stick with them, and you won't get lost. You'll definitely need a bag or a cute backpack to carry around your things. Make sure to have a snack and a bottle of water at any con, because some of the food there is expensive. You'll want to bring money, a fully charged cell phone, and anything else you may need. For the money, I'd suggest deciding on an amount you will save for food and anything else, and the rest for the dealer's room and artist alley. Also, if you're staying at the con, you'll need a lunch or a dinner, so I'd also suggest finding a restaurant or fast food place nearby, as the in-con food is generally way overpriced. You'll also want a camera! I hope you have fun at your convention. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 pm
paulaterra
ChibiiNoodle

Be aware of large groups of people, and go with a few friends or a parent to guarantee that you're safe. Stick with them, and you won't get lost. You'll definitely need a bag or a cute backpack to carry around your things. Make sure to have a snack and a bottle of water at any con, because some of the food there is expensive. You'll want to bring money, a fully charged cell phone, and anything else you may need. For the money, I'd suggest deciding on an amount you will save for food and anything else, and the rest for the dealer's room and artist alley. Also, if you're staying at the con, you'll need a lunch or a dinner, so I'd also suggest finding a restaurant or fast food place nearby, as the in-con food is generally way overpriced. You'll also want a camera! I hope you have fun at your convention. ^^

thank you so much that helped alot O u O umm how much money do you think i should bring?? oh and how much is the stuff there (like mangas and other stuff because i hear taht they're expencive sweatdrop )  

ChibiiNoodle

Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces