Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Who is better:Sparta VS Athens Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

who is better?
a. Athens
53%
 53%  [ 28 ]
b. Sparta
46%
 46%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 52

eXteN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am
They are equal.They were both educated and well trained for war.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:59 am
Athens, since I am a lover of philosophy and a pacifist by nature.  

Drugula

Aged Prophet

9,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

anima noctis

Dapper Elder

5,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:40 am
if you consider the battle at Thermopylae, both Sparta and Athens are equal since Leonidas and Themistokles played a major role in the battle as a united land and sea force. They both gave their strengths and weaknesses.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:07 pm
Athens still. :3  

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

anima noctis

Dapper Elder

5,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:14 pm
Meh it all depends on what you prefer, skilled warriors or knowledgeable politicians  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 pm
Why do i have a strong hunch that this sort of question is probably the root source of where we found a very nearly identical situation with Star Trek and Star Wars, everyone? eek

I can't tell which fandom has the most Neo-Athenians or which fandom has the most Neo-Spartans at all, though. *scratches head*

And i agree with what the Goddess of the Century Said, so very much!  

Javier Cross

Goddess of The Century

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm glad I found someone who agrees with me. ;D Did you see the cheesy video, as well?
It's cute. ;3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:35 pm
Goddess of The Century

I'm glad I found someone who agrees with me. ;D Did you see the cheesy video, as well?
It's cute. ;3

I know. ^_^
Now i wonder when will someone hurry up and try to write a satire as to how Sci-Fi went downhill due to in-fighting in the same kind of fashion in the late 1980's as the Greeks had during the Peloponnesian Wars in which afterwards the Macedonians[cousins to the Spartans since they are also descended from Hercules, himself!] had to get the bulk of Greece back together, before they begin to fight the Persians one last time.  

Javier Cross

sKy_str

7,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am
BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Athens of course.They have the brains to defeat Sparta.

but then the athenians don't have the skill to fight.. what's the use of a strategy if they lose in the fight?

sparta is interesting, but I can't choose any of the two. The two places are honing on such different but IMPORTANT skills, and I could never decide..  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 am
sKy_str
BlazingInfernoPhoenix
Athens of course.They have the brains to defeat Sparta.

but then the athenians don't have the skill to fight.. what's the use of a strategy if they lose in the fight?

sparta is interesting, but I can't choose any of the two. The two places are honing on such different but IMPORTANT skills, and I could never decide..

Agreed to that much.
Interestingly enough, i see nearly-identical patterns in Star Trek and Star Wars, actually.
I wonder if it was meant to be a homage/clone of Athens vs. Sparta, actually?  

Javier Cross

Rekoj Dekciw

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 pm
Totally Sparta.
Need I say more.
I mean come on.
They are willing to sacrafice a lot for their people and to go into war so many times.
Woowee. =)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:10 am
I feel I should say Sparta because a project in middle school we were assigned either Sparta and Athens and we had to try to convince our teachers that ours was the best city. I was Sparta in 6th grade so I still feel loyalty. I also hate Pericles so my vote is Sparta. Though I do love the modern city of Athens.  

Sylar

Its Smiley

Blessed Lunatic

12,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm
Athens  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 am
Well it really is a tough question. Sparta has the ability of brute strength, trained to never give up. they'ed be able to choke you if they lost their dominant arm. But when you look at Athens, they were great tactical thinkers. What they lacked in strength, they made up for in cunning. battle 1: Sparta attacks Athens, Sparta will come in with nothing but bloodlust, which makes stupid. Which allows Athens to take them out. battle 2: Athens attacks Sparta, Athens would have already made a mega battle plan, measured the city, checked the armor, and had made a dozen back-up plans incase someone does something out of place. Athens BY FAR!!!!!!!!!  

jbsnickerdoodle

2,650 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

TheGiftedOnes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm
Totally 100 percent Athens! What good is a sword if you cant count to ten?
I think that having brains is much more important then just being well trained in war. And its not like Athenians were bad at war, its just thats not the only thing they care about! I mean Sparta had a huge celebration about how well some kid did at hiding pain after dieing! What good is wasting time and money about somthing so idiotic!  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff