Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [ Journals ]... // Player Forum
[J] Xun Jiang :: Ti Lung Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm
Divination Ripples

The rain had started up with little warning, and it had quickly sent merchants hurrying to cover their wares, or take them inside. It also sent wanderers scattering for buildings or tents, where they would remain dry.

Well, most merchants, and most wanderers.

One merchant, a woman with darkened skin, bright teal eyes and light blue hair, had simply pulled her stall of jewelry toward herself, then stood from her chair and took the few steps that separated her from the rain, letting the water drench her and be absorbed by her skin.

One wanderer had not started to hurry on in the least – Xun Jiang continued his leisurely pace, even as the rain soaked through his clothing and made his mane stick down on his skin. The Dragon King was certainly glad that the rain had dispersed nearly everyone. It meant he was much less likely to smack someone with a wing, as he often tended to do.

Really, he wished he could at least tuck them close enough to his body that it would not be an issue...

It was Neith that spotted him first, as she finally opened her eyes from her blissed-out state. It did not surprise the god in the least, to see the woman like this. To her, the rain had been heaven-sent – her skin had most likely started to itch. ”Xun !” She called out, waving in his direction to catch his attention. ”You're back !”

The steps that separated them had been easy to cross, and he simply stood with her in the open – neither minded the rain, after all, through the dark clouds rolling above certainly were signs that a storm was brewing... And well, they would likely wish to get out of that. ”I have been for a few weeks, actually.”

”And you only showed up now ?! Oh, mister Dragon King, you are soooo in trouble.” Neith pouted, but it was easy to tell it was in jest. ”Did you find what you were looking for ? You've got to tell me what happened !”

”We have.” He moved toward the door of Neith's shop, which she had been able to aquire partly thanks to him. It certainly beat owning a little tent and having to sleep in it ! It was in a desert. We spent about a month there.”

”Oh yuck.” Neith padded right behind the god, having noticed the darkening clouds herself, and held the curtain that served as her door to allow the Dragon King inside. ”That sounds nasty.”

'Neith ?' There was a voice, and yet there had not been. Xun Jiang was no stranger to mental speech, thanks to Anat, his errais. But this had definitively not been Anat – and the mental words had been different, more stepped into imagery than the errais' speech was. The name had been spoken, but at the same time he had seen her face in his mind.

Neith caught onto the god's confused face, and laughed. ”Oh, that's right. There is someone you should probably meet.”

'You have a visitor ?' There was the sound of someone getting up from a chair, in the back, and then a face peering through the door frame, from the kitchen. The... man ? Was small – shorter than Neith, even, and much more slander, nearly fragile looking, even with the layers of robes he was wearing. His nose was small compared to the rest of his face, long brown hair smooth and without even so much as a stray curl. The only thing that ruined the porcelain doll look was the lightly tanned skin.

And he was so short. For a moment, Xun Jiang just could not get over that. The stranger seemed to think likewise, as he stepped into the room, looking up to the god. “Oh.”

Neith could not help it – she laughed at the look they were giving each other. ”I should have expected that...” The woman shook her head, doing her best to stop the last of the giggles. ”Rou, this is Xun Jiang. He is the god I have told you about. Xun, this is Rou. He is my new roommate. I know he talks kind of strange, but you get used to it.”

Rou pouted, which only made him look even more feminine. 'I am not strange.' The man then gave an audible huff. 'Pleased to meet you, Lord.' He then said, giving a simple bow.

”Pleased to meet you, as well.” Xun Jiang gave a nod of the head in aknowledgement. ”Do you always... talk like that ?” He only realized how rude that was after he actually said the question. ”I mean...”

The Dragon King was cut off by Rou's laugh – short and clipped as it was. 'I do. My vocal cords are not as developed as yours. I talk, but not much. This is just who I am.' He folded his arms over his front, the mirth not leaving his eyes. The man seemed quite used with answering that question. 'I am Porcelain... not human. Easy mistake. We speak by imprinting images... I learned to use words with time.'

”I see...” That was quite interesting.

”What were you doing back in there, anyway ? Divination ?”

Uh ? ”Divination ?” That... Might actually be very useful... Not exactly something to ask on a a first meeting, but definitively something to keep in mind. His interest did not go unnoticed, however, and Neith gave him a confused glance.

'No, no. I was making tea blends. I can scry the future in water – the purest the water, the better I see.'

The future... Hm. This was definitively something to keep in mind, nonetheless.

”Oh, Rou, I did tell you we did not need more of those just yet, did I ?”

'Yes, but I had the time. Would you be interested in some tea ?' He offered to Xun Jiang, a small smile on his slender face.

”Certainly... I would also be interested about learning more about how you do your divination ? I am a god closely intervined to water, as Neith might have told you.”

”Oh, good, if you drink it, then that means I won't end up having to sample everything !” Neith's distaste of any drink that was not pure water was nothing new, and it actually told a lot about her liking of Rou if she bothered to sample the tea to begin with.

Rou turned back then, heading into the kitchen. 'What is it that you wish to see ?' He asked simply as he filled the kettle with water and placed it on the stove.

Xun Jiang made a face. “I just-”

'I see the curiosity in your expression.' Another laugh. 'It is alright. I am not insulted. Others are often confused as to that a sorcerer can do.'

”I was just wondering if you could see into the past ?” He finally ventured to ask, and Neith's eyes widened a bit. Yes, she had just figured it out. Through thankfully she had no way to know why.

”Hmm.” Rou looked up from his basket of per-wrapped tea bags – clearly this was his wares, so to speak. Or did he barter his skill ? Xun Jiang was not sure. He had not noticed anything unusual in Neith's stand as he had passed by it – but then again, he had not given it a close look, either way. 'What use could that be ? The past is already known... Unless you have forgotten.'

”...I have, indeed.” The boy was clever – very much so. ”And the past I am seeking is quite... distant.” Still, before anything more was done, he had to get to know Rou better. He sought knowledge of his past, yes... But he had to make sure the man would not spread what he would find around... If he could, indeed, find anything.

'Well, to answer the question, I do not know. I have never tried. Have not heard of a sorcerer who has, either.' He mused out loud, so to speak. 'I could try, but not today. I have already scryed this morning.'

”There is no rush.” The Dragon King did his best to reassure Rou, wearing a gentle smile in hope to hide his inner anxiety. ”Beside, that would be quite rude to ask a service like it from you first thing, hm ? I must apologize for being so prompt in asking. The matter is quite important to me.”

'You are curious. Nothing wrong with that. It is how you learn. I would be curious about you, through... Please tell me more ? Neith told me some, but...'

It was not long before the storm passed, and Neith left to work outside once more, and keep an eye on her stand. Yet, it would still be a few more hours before Xun Jiang would exit the house, quite convinced that even if Rou would not be able to do anything for him... Then he had, at the very least, one more person that believed in him.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:13 pm
Playing With Dragons

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 pm
Waterbabies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:37 am
Into The Deep

It had been after a week of discussing that Rou and Xun Jiang decided to make their attempt. But it would not be at the marketplace, no – the rather mismatched pair made their way out of the busy settlements and into the nearby forest. It felt into both their interests, really – Rou disliked having to focus with all the sounds of the markets surrounding him, and disliked the feeling of being trapped in between four walls... Especially so when scrying. It was only in his adulthood that the porcelain had managed to find some sort of well-being with living inside a proper house. He had spent his younger years living outdoors, following first his adopted father, then his first sorcerer master. Xun Jiang knew all this now, for he had been told it.

For the Dragon King... Well, he preferred to be as out of the way as possible. He had no idea what Rou might see – if he even saw anything – and how he might react to it, himself. Better to be far away from civilization, a precaution that had only been made more important by the young sorcerer's tastes.

”Xun.” Rou called out loud to catch the Dragon's attention, as they reached a small clearing – large enough to be comfortable, but small enough to be private, and sheltered by thick bushes and trees. 'Will this place be right for you ?'

”Perfectly so.” There would be no better place than within his lover's domain. ”Will it do for you ?”

'Yes. I have scryed here before.' Rou nodded for emphasis, and sat down in the tall grass, brushing some aside with obvious gentleness to set the clay pot he had been carried down.

The boy obviously had a great respect for nature, and the forests that had once been his home... Yes, Glyph would need to meet him. Him and Neith both. Through for now... The Dragon's attention went to his bag, where he pulled out gourds full of water to empty into the pot.

'This water looks... Strange. It hums in a way the others do not.' Rou seemed downright fascinated, reaching one fragile hand inside the bowl to touch it.

”That does not surprise me. It is a part of me, after all.” He nodded, putting the last gourd aside as it emptied. ”Is that enough for you to work with ?”

'Is is. It will help if you only talk when I ask you something.' Then, Rou went silent, touching the water once again, sending ripples dancing on the surface. The second passed in silence, and for Xun Jiang they felt like minutes... The minutes more like hours. Rou focused his power, tried to bend it in a way that had been unknown off for any of the elemental sorcerers of the Golden World.

Then the porcelain finally talked again, Xun Jiang nearly jumped out of his skin, so used to the silence as he had become. 'I see a woman.' His voice seemed distant, far away, the words wavering as if he was losing his grip on them. 'She looks... Your mother ?' In lack of better explanation, Rou projected what he saw to Xun Jiang, whose heart nearly skipped a beat.

Illisia.

Rou had in fact scryed the past... his past. Now they at least knew what could be done. ”Not exactly my mother, no.” The statement was hysterical, in a way, but Rou had no way to know, and had simply made the most likely guess, in his mind. He would explain... later. One day. ”Can you reach further back ?”

'Not easy.' Was the strained answer that came. The boy was clearly not used to this. 'Can try.'

”Rou, do not hurt yourself. If it gets too hard, stop.” Xun Jiang's voice had grown a little more serious, father-like in it's own way, with hints of guilt in others. He had no wish for the young mortal to hurt himself.... But the only thing he could do was to hope that Rou knew his limits, and would not cross them.

”Hn.” The boy grew silent again, eyes locked on the water, which continued to ripple under his power in spite of not having been touched since the porcelain's initial touch. 'I see...'

The image was projected to him again... And at first he did not recognize her. A dark haired woman... No, a girl, only barely a woman. Her black hair was short and wild, her eyes narrowed as if in suspicion, her face locked into an expression that said that she had seen – and endured – much.

Who was she ?

”Rou -” Ti Lung had wanted to ask him if he could reach further back, but the recognition hit him like a thousand bricks, blue eyes going wide and body tensing.

Auri.

Auriga.

That had been her name. Auriga, but he had called her Auri.

Rou had misinterpreted his attempt at speaking, and had simply continued on. The images came, not only into his mind through Rou's most natural form of communication, but dancing on top of the ripples as well, just as he remembered them.

A tall man, larger than life.... Skin crimson red, scaled and cracked. Wings, seven tails. Red and yellow eyes looking at her, expression nearly predatory. He knew who this was without being told, without the struggle of remembrance. Destruction has looked upon Auri, knowing the match was now set.

The images of Rou's divinations did not come with the words, but they came nonetheless in his memory, distant and faded like an old record. 

"You'll be taking that one home, after all. Don't worry, the merging won't last forever. "

"He greets you, Lord. Ti Lung, Dragon King Kawagiri, Lifewater of Worlds, greets you."

He felt it now, the strain he had put Auri's mind to, flooding it so easily – why ? Why had he done that ? That could not have been a good idea... Had he not known that, back then ?

The images blurred, the voice cracked then faded away, only for others to follow. A catgirl, delicate wirh calico spots, fretting. His vantage point was up – Auri was putting up a picture frame, but paused, looking back at the door.

"Come in~!"

The visitor stepped inside, carefully, seemingly relieved by what he saw inside. Messy auburn hair, round glasses perched on top of his nose. A boy, not too much older than Auri, but it was only when he saw the glimse of purple scales and heard the voice that Xun Jiang's mind properly identified the visitor for who he was : Tian Yue.

Tian Yue, at his own infancy. From the lines of worry on his brother's face... Perhaps Jin and Xia Lu had already fallen, and there was relief in knowing he had not done the same.

If only they had known...

"I'm Auri. That's.” A pause. “That's Meena. You are?"

"My name is Tian Yue, Dragon King Tien Lung. It is a pleasure to meet you, Auri... and the Dragon King you also bear."

“My thanks and greetings to you, Worldshield and brother. You might forgive my lady and I,” A sigh. “We are not settled yet, and the furnishings are not yet suitable for entertaining guests like yourself."

The images and the voices faded and retreated, once more, replaced by new ones. These were even less clear than the other flashes, worn at the edges like an old movie.

”Im tired, Kawagirl.” Auri sighed, curled in her wicker chair, staring at the wall. “I'm so tired...”

”I know, Auri. I know. It will get better, it must... We must become, and then...” Kawagiri trailed off then.

“Something is bothering you ?”

”I am... illl at ease.” Ti Lung admitted. “I have not yet been able to see my Lord... I fear that a storm is brewing.”

The images faded again. He knew how that felt like, knew what was going on here. It felt like he and Illisia had become one, but Auri...

Auri had not been ready.

What had you been thinking, you bloody idiot ?!? He wanted to scream, but the words refused to come out.

The next images were so faded, so distant, that he could barely make them out. What he could make out was the pain, as it felt like a thousand needles piercing through his skin. He knew, innately, what it meant. Harmodius. Destruction. He was wounded, he needed -

The thoughts ended abruptly. “Auri.”

She was not answering him, her mind recoiling from the waves, fracturing at the seams – taking the parts of her that had already become his down with him. He tried to take the body, to move, but the ability to do so seemed to slide through his fingers just as quickly as his own consciousness failed him.

“AURI !!!!”

”XUN !!!”

The voice, foreign and yet not, jolted him away from the crumbling images and warped sounds. Rou's face was right against his, the boy's blue eyes wide with a certain sense of panic, both hands resting on his cheek – he had not even felt them until now.

'Xun, are you here now ?'

Silence.

'Xun !' Rou called out again, and the Dragon King reaching his hand up to gently brush Rou's tiny ones away. They were wet...

He had been crying. Still was, he belatedly realized.

”It is alright.” He whispered. I am here.”

He was not certain the words had been to reassure the porcelain sorcerer, or to reassure himself. ”When... did you stop ?”

'I reached past the black haired woman... But I found nothing else. Then you weren't answering me.' So Rou had not... had not seen all that. He had...

He had remembered.

And did you expect to like what you would remember ? Stupid, stupid dragon.

'You scared me. No one else had reacted this way. Are you fine ?'

”I... willl be.” What other choice did he have ? But right now he felt... dazed, out of it, the images of Destruction and Auriga still dancing at the edges of his vision like shadow spectres. ”It was not your fault, Rou.” No, it had been his folly... Asking for the boy to reach back to a time that his mind might not even have been able to wrap itself around. Rou's hand rested on his shoulder, and Xun Jiang nodded, only brushing it away when he moved to stand.

'Should we go back ?'

”...Yes.” Ti Lung sighed. ”Yes, we should.”

He had entirely too much to think about.  

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 pm
Butterflies And Hurricanes

He did not even remember how he had gotten home. Everything felt blurry, like a daze.

At one point he must have convinced Rou that he was alright, and made his way back to the rooms he now shared with Glyph, because that was where he was now – surrounded by Everwood and water and the various scents of the forest, the connection only made stronger by the feel of his lover's mana still hanging in the air.

It seemed like Forest himself was absent, however, which was to be expected... And to be honest, the Dragon King found that he did not mind in the least. He was not sure that he wanted to explain what had happened – not yet, at least.

He would explain... But not right now. Not when he had to digest everything, not when he was faced with a self he could barely even identify as – a self that had done very, very bad choices, and had paid the price for it.

Everything was still too raw for him to accept to talk about it. The wound was too deep.

He moved right past the worried aoidei – his own and Forest's – without so much as saying a word, ignoring their attempt to ask what was wrong and heading straight for the large island that had formed when he and Glyph had remade their rooms. It was quickly becoming his favorite place to retreat to if he needed some peace... And he certainly needed it now.

He did not even bother to shift and take on scales for ease of swimming – no, Ti Lung swam his way there in his humanoid form, and made it into the thick, woody area before simply letting himself flop once he was hidden by the trees at all side, with only the grass to soften his landing – as if whatever momentum had carried him this far had finally given out.

He had such a bloody headache.

You were more or less asking for that. Stupid, stupid Dragon King. That was true, really – why had he expected a mortal to be able to reach for times so far gone that the porcelain's mind might not even have been able to wrap around the concept. His own mortal memory, spanning thousands upon thousands of years, might very well be to blame for the oversight.

But it was too late for that. For better or worse, it had happened, and now he knew. He knew the name, and the face, of the girl who could have been Ti Lung.

Xun Jiang now held in his mind the knowledge of his downfall – held in his claws the results of his failings, as Glyph had once said. What mattered now... Was what he did with it.

The choice of the host seemed strange now, and at first glance he could not understand it, in spite of having been the one to make it. Auri had been young, uncertain about so many things. She was the complete opposite of Illisia is some ways, and yet there were some similarities that he could see, from what little he had managed to remember.

But then Xun Jiang had to remember that there were things that Kawagiri might have not needed, that he had... Thanks to the failure. It was one thing to know and put blame on himself by default, but to have seen it for himself ? It was something else differently, and the Dragon King only curled a little bit tighter at the thought, doing his best to hide in the tall grass the best he could.

The thoughts brought a chill down his spine, causing his tail to twitch in response. Kawagiri's plan had ended in his and Auri's demise, but what he could not understand was why.

Why attempt to take over so early ?

Why start the merge so early on ?

It seemed like a bad idea from the get-go. Auri had not been strong enough to take it, and Kawagiri had not been strong enough to keep her afloat. And what had started could not be stopped... As Auriga died, under that crushing wave, so had the parts of Kawagiri that had already melded with her... The holes in his psyche, that had filled once again thanks to Illisia.

But the question still remained.

Why ?

That was the hardest part. Xun Jiang had, more or less, made peace with the rest of it. There was nothing he could do about Auri's death now, nothing but to accept what had happened, and move on.

But presented with the steps leading to his downfall, he could not help but wonder the why. Had he been impatient ? Restless ? Cocky ? Had something made him feel like he was needed as soon as possible, made him attempt to hurry on ?

He could not find the answer to this question, as hard as he tried to puzzle it out. Xun Jiang was missing pieces of the puzzle... Pieces that might very well be irrevocably destroyed.

But the more he did think, the most the Dragon King understood about himself. Not about Kawagiri, but about Xun Jiang. The more he thought about it, the more he started to understand.

He had not remembered, not consciously, but in a way, his subconscious had. Xun Jiang had been the opposite extreme of Kawagiri – hands off, staying his hand until the very last moment. Careful not to burn through his new host's life like a lit candle where Kawagiri had inadvertently done the opposite.

It was almost ironic now.

Perhaps Forge will do the same. The Dragon mused. Subconsciously learn from the two failures and apply what she had learned. It had seemed to work for him, at least.

But now, he had to process all this. He had to slowly, and painfully, process and accept it. Learn what he could from what he had seen, and discard the rest at the past – one that could not be changed.

The only thing he could do was to do his best not to repeat those mistakes – and yet, amid all the hurt and the confusion, there was some peace that came with finally knowing.

There was some pride, that he had avoided falling into the same pitfalls while not even being aware of their existence. And that, painful as it all was, as stepped in blood, ash and death as it was...

Somehow he was a better person because of it. Because there were things he now understood that Kawagiri might not have understood.

Months ago, when asked what he would wish for as a shooting star fell through the sky, he had told Glyph that he wished to be a better god, a better Dragon King, than he had been before.

And perhaps, this was part of this process. The hardship, the death and the pain.

And now, for the first time, he found himself truly believing that he could be a better god that he had once been.

Because, in a few ways... He already was.

Sleep did not come that night, and still, Xun Jiang only emerged from his island hide-away a full day afterward, worn to the bone and tired, but finally at peace with what he had seen. Or, at least, as much as he could be at peace with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:53 pm
Housewarming Gifts

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:10 pm
Laying Plans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:57 pm
Beneath Papa Dragon's Wings

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 pm
Dragon Of The Family

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm
The First Part

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm
Comfort Given

That was one step done, and from now on all that Xun Jiang could do was hope. Hope that he would not need to storm in blindly with his own group in tow. He would very much prefer to side step the heroics part if it meant that everyone would be alright.

He had led Music to the gardens, rather than heading toward any specific room. Fresh air would do them much good, and he hoped they might run into Glyph – he had seen little of his lover as of late. Forest had likely lost himself in his realm again, and the thought made him smile.

Beside, a neutral setting would likely be better for the conversation the Dragon King had in mind. Somewhere where the goddess could easily leave, if she wished. He really had no idea how Music would take what he had to say. Was he putting his nose where it did not belong ? Probably.

Did it look like Echo needed to talk ? Absolutely.

Through, in the end, the choice would be hers.

The walk was spent mostly in silence, through eventually Xun Jiang angled toward one of the tea houses, which thankfully looked unoccupied. The two deities settled inside and the Dragon King started warming the kettle.

Yes, it was becoming increasingly obvious that the Dragon King had some sort of plan. She could see it, even if he might think that she did not. Music she might be, but Echo could read as his body language. The more limbs there were, the easier it was, really. His tail was twitching back and forth, and she was not certain the owner had noticed.

Still, Echo was inclined to humor him, and had sat down on one of the cushions just as he had.

The idea of preferences, tea-wise, had been more or less brushed aside – whatever he would like, Music had said – through the Dragon King had been careful to pick something he thought the goddess would enjoy.

”So, what is it ?” The question caught him off-guard, that much was evident. Echo let out an amused chuckle at the Dragon's reaction. “There is something on your mind.”

”The same could be said of you.” Ti Lung pointed out. “Are you still worried about your sons ?”

”What mother would not be worried ?” Echo replied without hesitation.

Ah. Touché. “You have a point there... But things will be fine. And if they are not... Then we will fix it. I am certain Ankou would help, if I managed to get a hold of him.” Unfair bait, maybe.

”He certainly would.” And Nergal... Well. Nergal most likely would not. She had tried, with Ankou. They had gone together so many times, to the Underworld, to catch his attention. And yet nothing worked.

And yet, no one answered. The dead knew nothing, and Ankou knew even less. The Spirit Guide's annoyance was understandable. And she...

Ah. Her expression was all too telling. There was indeed the problem. “And you fear the father will not.”

Music said nothing. “Echo... Are you so used to help everyone else that you have forgotten how to help yourself ?” He was overstepping his bounds. Xun Jiang knew all too well. Glyph would have been better suited for this – he knew the goddess better than he did.

”It is... I...”

”No need to make sense of it. Speak, and I will listen.”

That seemed to do it. “He is not answering me... or Ankou... Akakios did not try, but... I do not think he wants to try. He is growing more distant, more independent... I believe he thinks his father does not care about him at all, and that is why he is not coming back.”

Ah. Family problems. And this was perhaps Echo's first time being a mother, or all he knew. At least, it was the first time in this life, and she did not have centuries of experiences backing her. Had she loved anyone other than Underworld ? Most likely not, for her devotion to be so strong in spite of it all.

“That will be matters in between the father and son. There is nothing you can do for that. This will be for Nergal to fix, not you.” If it could be fixed. Only time would tell. “Sadly... You can do your best, but you cannot fix everything.”

”He told me... He promised this would not happen again...”

...This was not the first time. Oh dear. The sudden hiss of the kettle made both the dragon king and the goddess jump, but Xun Jiang was quicker at reaching for it than Echo was, and poured the water out. “I see...” So maybe it was not the absence that was the problem, but the broken promise. Possibly not the first. To be honest, he was not sure what to say, exactly. He was used to long absences of loved ones, as Illithor had often slept for centuries on end. “Does it help to talk about it, at least ?”

”It helps.” Echo was already gathering her composure again. She was clearly sad, but she would not cry. She had cried enough tears about this already, when no one had been looking. “Ankou is going so much now... And I tried to help him, but...”

That seemed strange in itself. Had Echo skills with the dead that he was not aware of ? “Why should you be able to help him ?”

”I was to be Queen... I should be able to...”

”Through his rule. You are Songstress, not Underworld.” He reminded her. Perhaps she had been trying to focus too much on her role of queen, had been thinking about it much more than the role that would come to her without thinking, the role she had been born to fill. Echo tell looked away, and he blinked in surprise. “Echo...” Had he been too harsh ? “I...”

”No, you are right. I think I... forgot that.” She was Music, and there was only so much she could do. She could not even see or hear the dead naturally. Her powers could not affect them without Nergal or Ankou's help, either. “I figure I simply wish to help. Ankou and I are not particularly close, but he is... family all the same.”

Given what he knew of the Spirit Guide, Xun Jiang was not surprised. Ankou only showed others facets of himself that he wished to show, and while Echo might know more than he would... Perhaps the only person who truly knew who Ankou was would be Cosine.

“And what makes you think that is the only way you can help him ?”

”Um ?” Echo blinked.

”You are an aunt, are you not ?” He let out a small chuckle. “Keep a careful eye on his children while he cannot. Support Cosine when she need it. Of the two, you are the experienced mother. You will know things Numbers will not know, and you can teach them those things. You own experiences might end up saving her a lot of trouble.”

”...That is true.” Echo finally took a sip of the tea. The hints of a flowery taste told her that the Dragon had likely chosen with her in mind. “But... What do you think I should do ?”

That was a loaded question. “Only you know that, Echo. Only your heart can tell you.” If she had to let go... She would let go. If she had it in her heart to pardon her husband what seemed to be one more in a line of broken promises, then she would wait. “You might not know the answer to that question... And you are in no rush to figure it out. Take your time, process what you are feeling. Understand your emotions. What you can do in the meanwhile is... Be. Stop waiting on him, Echo. Nergal will return if he is meant to return. Do not let that fact dictate what you will or will not do. If he returns and is upset in your absence, then perhaps he is not worthy of your patience.” Okay, that last line was probably a little too much, but it was too late to take it back. Ti Lung could not help it – he hated to see someone as kind as Echo suffer the way she was suffering.

Thankfully, Echo did not seem to find offence in the statement. No, she could tell the Dragon King was being honest. “You are very wise, young Dragon.” She teased her companion, letting out a warm chuckle. “Very wise indeed. You are right... I must not forget... myself. There are people that believe in me, and it would be a disservice to their faith if I forgot them. They deserve the best of me, and for that I must take care of myself.”

”This old wyrm knows a few tricks.” He chuckled, reminded of the tea's existence by Music. He finally paused to drink some of his own cup as well. “We have no other choice but to learn. It is always easier to support others and help them out than to identify and understand our own problems, and sometimes the solution that might be the most obvious becomes lost when we are trapped in our own uncertainty, and our own sorrow. But sometimes an outside influence is all that is needed to help out, to make things a little clearer. If I was able to do this for you, then all the better. If not, then I hope you will seek out the person who will be.”

”You seem to speak from experience.” It was too easy to figure out, and if she could return the favor... Then she would gladly do so.

”Like I said, the old wyrm knows a few tricks. Tricks he might not have known before.” Ti Lung mused, but left it at that. “Feeling better now ?”

”A little, yes. Thank you.” Not completely better, but... only time could mend that. For now, through, she knew where to go. “Can you tell Tian Yue to come visit me sometime, when you see him next ? I miss him.”

”Of course.” He nodded.

The rest of their conversation was, thankfully, much more light-hearted, and the two went their separate ways in good spirits, hoping that the next time they would meet, it would be in circumpstances that did not involves having to rescrue a lost party.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 am
Explaination Time

There had been errands to run in the market, and while Lindita usually took care of those, Xun Jiang decided to do so himself. It felt strange to spend so much time within, even if it greatly resembled the outside world. The aoide had first insisted that this was nothing he should bother with, and that it was certainly blasphemy for a god to carry errends like a simple mortal. However, with Aysu's help, eventually the demoness had given up, and settled to take care of the plants instead.

Ti Lung wondered when Lindita would understand that he had to want to lay around and do nothing all day. Had gods been like that before the fading ? Always served, their every need cathered ? No wonder they had faded, in this case. At least Aysu seemed to understand, and sometimes he honestly wondered what he could do without the elf.

Besides, he had more reasons than just errends to go to the market. Xun Jiang had not returned there since... Well. That day, with Rou in the forest. He was not sure if he wanted to explain, but at the same time, he did not want Rou and Neith to think that he was avoiding them. This was far from Rou's fault, what had happened.

He stopped at one of the vegetable stands, squinting at the sheet of paper he had taken out of his pockets as he had arrived. Ugh, Lindita's writing was always to hard to decode... Was what that word ? Apple?

For better or for worse, Xun Jiang did not get to ponder this for too long.

”Xun ! There you are !” Neith had, apparently, been waiting for him. ”You... Are you alright ? Rou told me...”

Oh, of course. Of course Rou would tell Neith what had happened, back in the forest. When the porcelain's divination did succeed with recalling the past... But not exactly the past he had been hoping to find.

”I am fine.” The list was folded neatly in four, then returned to his pocket. Errands could wait... This was much, much more important, and Lindita would understand her supplies being late. He hoped, at least. ”What of Rou ?”

”Tired... Whatever you two tried to do had one hell of a toll on him.” The woman eyes' narrowed a bit. Rou had told her some things, but clearly not everything. Neith knew she was missing a part of the puzzle, and she fully planned to getting it. ”Whatever it is, he thinks it's his fault.”

Xun Jiang sighed. ”I told him it was not his fault, Neith. And it was not.” Why was Rou so convinced he had done something wrong ?

”He's sensitive, Xun. Kind of like a girl in a way... But do not tell him I said that.” Neith made a face, running the tip of her webbed fingers through her hair. ”And the fact that you have not come has not helped... Can you come and talk to him, please ? I know he had something to ask of you, anyway, and im sure it will help him feel better.”

The Dragon King nodded. ”I have the time. I had no idea...” The idea that the porcelain boy had been more or less beating himself up over the last few days made him cringe. Maybe, if he had not been so wrapped up in his own pain, he would have noticed...

But he would talk to Rou. He would make it clear and precise that what had happened was not his fault at all. That would hopefully help. For now, through, he followed Neith back to her stand, and the woman took her place back behind her outside display. She had clearly been working on something, and had been lucky enough to catch sight of him in the crowd. Thankfully, he was hard to miss.

”You go on and have some man to man talk.” She winked. ”I've gotta watch my stand, at any rate.”

”Thank you, Neith.” Ti Lung nodded, then headed inside. Rou was not hard to find at all – right in the common room, sorting out baskets of tea blends. Had the porcelain sorcerer had been less focused on his task, he would have heard the dragon and Neith talking. As it was, through, Xun Jiang cleared his throat, hopping to gain Rou's attention without startling him too badly. It worked – somewhat. It got the sorcerer's attention, but it certainly startled him. The boy looked up at him, dark brown eyes going wide.

”Xun !” He stood quite suddenly, but adverted his gaze once the surprise passed. 'You came...'

”Why would I not come ?” He sat on one of the chair, and motioned for Rou to do the same. The sorcerer did so, clearly very nervous. ”Why ?”

'You did not see what you wished to see... back there. More than that... It hurt you greatly. I felt it. You did not tell me, but I felt it. I have never felt it before. Porcelain... Our primary mean of communication are through images... and emotions.'

That made sense, he figured. And it also helped Xun Jiang understand why Rou had felt responsible. What the porcelain had felt coming out of him right after... could not have been pretty. To the point that his attempts to reassure the boy had looked like a weak facade, no doubt. ”Rou. Look at me.”

When the boy did not comply, the Dragon King reached out, cupped the boy's chin carefully in his hand, and lifted his head so that he was looking at him. ”This was not your fault. What I have seen had not been carried out through your hand, nor that you had ill intent in showing me. You did what I asked of you. If you wish to blame someone, then blame me.”

'But I have failed you... Just like I had failed my other two shifus... I wanted to help you. I could feel how important it was for you, how badly you wanted to know.'

Shifu ? He knew that word. It was chinese. Master. His first two... ? No matter. ”And why does it always come down to failure ?”

”Uh ?”

”You have done something none of the other sorcerers had ever been able to do, as far as you know. How is that a failure ?” His smile was gentle.

”But it was not what you wanted to know, was it ?'

”No, it was not.” Xun Jiang let go of his hold on Rou, and the boy did not look away again. Good. ”But something I needed to know, perhaps. It was painful, but... Knowing has helped me heal. Put some fears to rest. It was not useless, Rou. Things often happen for a reason, and I am not Fate to truly understand the how and the why. What I was looking for... Is a past so ancient, so far gone and faded away that I am uncertain if you can even fathom how far away it is. To have asked you this in my mistake, and for that I apologize.”

”...When you put it that way, it makes sense.' Rou nodded. ”So you are not mad at me ?'

”I have no reason to be.” The Dragon King grinned, tipping one of the baskets slightly to look within. Tea and what looked to be handmade candy, hm ? Interesting. ”Neith told me there was something you wanted to ask me, through ?”

”Ah...” The boy looked a little embarrassed again. 'I have not had a shifu for a long time... Not since before everything went wrong. You are not a porcelain sorcerer, but... you are a god. Surely there is a way I could serve ?'

Ah.... so that was what this was. There certainly was not much he could have Rou actually do, but... His faith, his belief, would be the most precious gift the boy could give. ”I would be honored.”

'No, no, it would be my honor...'

”You two are silly.” Neith had not moved, but well... Xun Jiang had not closed the door.

”Neith !!!!”

And the Dragon King only let out a warm chuckle. Lindita's supplies would definitively be late... But it would be more than worth it. The demoness would forgive him, he was certain.  

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 pm
Mouse In The Market

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 pm
More Tough Love

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer

A Wandering Esper

Beloved Stargazer