Welcome to Gaia! ::

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

*winces* Oh dear, Rotsab. You used fragments? gonk bad-Rotsy bad!

Aww, they're good for making dramatic impact!

For the love of grammar, let's hope so.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

cat_rofl

Let's!

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

cat_rofl

Let's!

That reminds me of an improv game I had to do in high school Drama class. It was called "Yes, let's"

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Before I post my critiques, I want to say that the amount of fragmentation in the pieces I have read is driving me up the wall. Grammar and punctuation exist for a reason. Use them.

Roy Alexis's Queen

No Sex Symbol

18,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
The Solarised Night
Before I post my critiques, I want to say that the amount of fragmentation in the pieces I have read is driving me up the wall. Grammar and punctuation exist for a reason. Use them.

I am so guilty of using fragments.

/ashamed.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night

That reminds me of an improv game I had to do in high school Drama class. It was called "Yes, let's"

I'm actually not familiar with that one! Did you ever play the one where you pretend an object is anything but what it actually is? Like you could have a chair, but you'd pretend it was an electric guitar. The classic Bus Stop is a really cool one, too, though I always felt like everyone else was much more funny. You need a straight guy to make them shine though! xD

The Solarised Night

sweatdrop Sorry Solar.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

I'm actually not familiar with that one! Did you ever play the one where you pretend an object is anything but what it actually is? Like you could have a chair, but you'd pretend it was an electric guitar. The classic Bus Stop is a really cool one, too, though I always felt like everyone else was much more funny. You need a straight guy to make them shine though! xD

The Solarised Night

sweatdrop Sorry Solar.

'Yes, let's' is where you have to agree to do everything another person suggests, no matter how silly it sounds. It was about not blocking your fellow actors. Yes, I remember the object game razz I never did the bus stop game but I played a bunch of really strange scenarios. Oh and I once had to turn bananas in pyjama's into a 2 minute horror scene. I was a really creepy banana that whispered in a maniacal tone "Banana's in pyjama's are coming down the stairs" somewhat similar to the "one, two, Fredy's coming for you..." song goes. Then the rat in the hat flayed me and went all hanibal lecter on my a**.

Oh and I haven't read your story yet. I have only read the first four. It is a lot of work because if I am going to read them all, I am going to give a good critique. In some cases, the critique is longer than the actual piece.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Yutora

I am so guilty of using fragments.

/ashamed.

I haven't read yours yet but it depends on how you use fragmentation. The first couple I read didn't use them effectively and it just made no sense. I'll post the critiques I have so far but I have to go to class so I hope you can bare with me until I get all 15 done.

April horror prompt has started to anyone interested. Your goal is to write me something gritty, gorey, or morbid. The more it makes me suspenseful and squirmy, the better. Don't leave anything out in fear that it is innapropriate. Go all out!

Roy Alexis's Queen

No Sex Symbol

18,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
The Solarised Night

I haven't read yours yet but it depends on how you use fragmentation. The first couple I read didn't use them effectively and it just made no sense. I'll post the critiques I have so far but I have to go to class so I hope you can bare with me until I get all 15 done.

Oh I see. Take your time; you got a lot to read, I'm sure no one would mind it taking a while.
Like I mentioned before, my piece is actually not finished and I do plan on continuing it,
so your critique will be a lot of help in the future. I'm rather excited for it.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
iLickmimes
)

First up, we have a bit of a tense issue. Nearly every sentence you have begins your with a past tense verb, followed by a present tense verb or adjective, for example
“The demon frowned, his eyes flitting around quickly, surveying the area, as his slightly pointed ears pricked up, causing his head to tilt in one direction.”
You should establish what tense you want to set your piece in so it doesn’t distract the reader. I needed a solid sense of time. Other grammatical issues popped up as well such as incorrect use of semi-colons and ellipses. An ellipsis is used to symbolize where you have left something out something and plan to come back to it, not when you are taking a pause. A few of the places where you placed a semi-colon would have been more appropriate with a colon instead.

Another thing that bothered me was the imagery in certain points. What exactly does “burning flesh” taste like in the air? And how do cinders explode on one’s face? Cinders are particles of ash and so the image of them exploding just doesn’t sit right for me. I would consider revising some of your imagery so that is has a solid, picture in the reader’s mind. Some of the description just didn’t set the scene for me.

My next point is that I don’t believe you chose a very good starting point for your plot. You begin the story at the aftermath of a raised city with no explanation as to how the area got to this state. This story would have a lot more depth and potential if you chose to open with the pillaging and destruction as it would explain a great deal more about the important questions such as: Where exactly is this place? What has happened? Why did it happen? Who were involved? And, most importantly, why is it important? You’ve presented me a single frame from what could be a very interesting scene. Without context, this piece means next to nothing. Too much was left unsaid which gave this piece a really hollow feel, for example, see the sentence below:
“This was not work for him; he was so talented, so promising; and yet he was the government's dog. What was it that he had done? It was so very long ago… None of it mattered now
Why would you introduce such an important trait about this character and then dismiss it without explanation? To me, it just appears sloppy, as though you’ve gone “Oh I could tell you about why this bad-a** demon was banished from society and his fall from glory. I could also tell you why his is now rummaging through the ruins but I’m too lazy to.”

Furthermore, the characterization in this piece is rather bland. In short stories, your sentences should either propel the action, or assist characterization. There was a rather dense paragraph that you spent describing all the details about what Mitsukai was wearing and what colour his hair and eyes were. To me, this was a waste of time. What the demon is wearing gave little away about his character and it certainly did no justice to explaining how this scene has come to be, or what was about to unfold.

Now this second character you introduced, I am not sure what your intentions were, but he comes off as rather useless. There is no dialogue between him and the demon. He just sits there and does nothing before Mitsukai throws him over his shoulder and takes him away from the scene. What compelled the demon to take this boy (which, by the way, I don’t consider 13 or 14 young. In most societies, that is when boys come of age so making him appear so defenseless and pathetically vulnerable was pretty weak.) Adding a lot more depth to this character and the relationship between these two characters would also give this piece a big lift.

In short, I love the potential in this piece, but I feel it needs a lot of work and expansion to make a truly interesting story. This seems more of a prologue than an actual story so please work on making a cohesive beginning, middle, and end of the plot.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Essande
Judging Books

Gwen hummed to herself as she nestled against the trunk of a large oak. Idly, she plucked up flowers from around the gathers of her skirt, her voice rising out of simplistic sounds and into a sweet song. It was a song full of hope and dreams…and lies. Gwen didn't actually believe any of the things she was singing. But the song was the sort of thing good girls sang. Innocent girls. Pure girls. And at least one of those three things was true about Gwen.

Outwardly, she looked the part of all three. Flaxen ringlets, white gown, nimble fingers weaving flowers into wreaths. She was a maiden who lived to be doted upon, like in some revolting fairytale. Gwen raised her voice, smiling to herself as what she'd been waiting for stepped into the clearing. Pretty, white…dumb. For all their purity and their appreciation of purity unicorns were quite dull. The majesty beast peered at her, talking graceful steps forward before nestling its head in her lap. Silly beast. Stupid beast.

Moments later both of them was dressed in red.

To be honest, in a piece so short, it amazes me that there were so many grammatical errors. I don’t think I read a single sentence that wasn’t grammatically faulty in some form or another. You also neglect to use appropriate punctuation which makes it difficult to read.

The first thing I noticed about this piece was the excessive amount of fragmented sentences. “Innocent girls” is not a sentence. It is a fragment which makes no grammatical sense as a stand-alone sentence. I would reconsider some of the choices you made with sentence construction. See the example below.
“Idly, she plucked up flowers from around the gathers of her skirt, her voice rising out of simplistic sounds and into a sweet song.”
Beginning a sentence with an adverb is usually risky business if it is not a conjunctive adverb. It gives it a very rough and jarry texture which isn’t really appropriate for this scene.

While, as a rule, it is not grammatically incorrect to start a new sentence with a conjunctive, nothing irritates me more. It was not necessary to start a new sentence for “But the song was the sort of thing good girls sang.”

If we go beyond the structural faults, there isn’t much in terms of plot, setting, or imagery. This story has no chain of events; it remains stagnant in one boring scene of a girl sitting beneath a tree. She is a very flat character and is neither active nor passive because she makes no choice of action, nor does anything interesting happen to her.
Hell, I wouldn’t even call this a fantasy entry. You used the word unicorn once and poorly described some really ambiguous event with a beast, and magically dressing the character in red, which I assume is some incredibly weak and cliche metaphor for blood. If that’s the case, I think you should tap into that gritty core and go into depth about the bloodbath.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
The Titza
Catch of the Day

When I began to read this piece, I was really excited with the idea of a battlefield in the midst of war. Although I severely disliked that you opened with two fragmented sentences, the action within this piece had the potential to be really entertaining. Then you killed it by magically transporting to a lake. You consciously point out the contrast between these two locations, and yet you still chose to go through with this lake-side scene that is illogical and relatively boring in comparison to the action and gore that the first scene promised. I kept reading, hoping that you would redeem yourself in the end, only to find it very anti-climactic and disappointing.

The terrible spelling used to indicate a German accent made the piece difficult to read, particularly when there is no reason why this commander had to be German. He could have just as easily been American, British, Russian or any other nationality as his nationality serves no purpose towards his characterization or plot development. Furthermore, simply giving the audience a nationality doesn’t give an adequate picture of where the piece was set.

There are some pressing issues with the way you structure dialogue. Typically, it is recommended that a new paragraph is taken whenever a different character speaks. It is extremely difficult to read when you continue the dialogue in the same line. Additionally, the way you describe how things are said is often wordy and grammatically incorrect for example:
“You say he is a spy?" came the question.
and
"Ja. Ve go," he answered as started walking forward.

A few other things irritated me such as putting ‘spy’ in inverted commas every time. It is pretty obvious that there the man was just a fisherman; you don’t need to emphasize it every single time.
Next time, please proof-read your work. Microsoft word has spelling and grammar checking features. Use them.
In conclusion, you had a lot of potential. Had you focused more on the war-scene, or even the gritty part at the end where the commander decides to “Kill vem all,” I would have found this piece greatly entertaining. Please don’t change scenes so suddenly without explanation, ditch the would-be German, and don’t diverge from your original plot path.

Invisible Conversationalist

Shirtless Gekko

The Solarised Night

Thank you! I guess it would have helped if I had edit a little more. This was originally a prologue. I should have added some stuff.

Good luck to everyone else! heart

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Writer Selbe
Herro...?

Sup, Selbe?
I am still getting all the readings done for last month's Fantasy comp but feel free to enter the horror/ morbid one for April

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff