Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
Warlord Pilfer
Catalyste
Warlord Pilfer
"It costs" is not the Gospel. They spent gobs on the MMVII vampire movie and that sucked a**.
They spent more than gobs on zOMG!, Qixter is gone, the Xmas event is now a repeat.

It has to do with practical and responsible spending, which is something that Gaia has not perfected yet.
To me, they seem like a kid who spends all their money on bubblegum and trading cards, then wants a bigger allowance so they can go to some computer camp.

The poll is a joke.

What a joke. You honestly believe that the reason why Gaia is trying so hard is because they've been spending irresponsibly and they need to make up for that?

Let me tell you something here, no business practice gets it right the first or tenth time. Investments are made and sometimes they come at a price when something falls through or doesn't go right. So, yes, they have to find other ways of making up the loss in the next quarter to reach their quota.

If Gaia was as irresponsible as you're placing them, then Lanzer and the bunch would be out of work and kicked out of Silicon Valley as of last year. It's a very competitive area, not to mention the cost of living in California is pretty high, so again they have to try their best to pull in funds to keep them above water.

So what does this mean?

Pulling in major sponsorships who are willing to shell out some 7 figures for some exposure on the site to a worldwide crowd of 18 - mid twenty-somethings.

It means placing more emphasis and push on items that will pull people in to use the cash shop. RIGs are definitely a favorite on this site as it offers the users a chance to own or sell a cool rare item. They've been offering bundles for a little more cash. And also equipping our Aquariums with cash items that would, concurrently, give you some residual income the more you stock your tank with better fish that offer more when they glow.

Investing in anything is a sticky affair as it ALWAYS takes a risk. You can be as careful as you want, but it's an inevitable part of business that mistakes are made.

Gaia has bills to pay. They have hardware and software to update. They have staff to pay.

They already had to cut some staff as a result of the recession. That's no easy task as companies usually try to cut back on expenses first before cutting any employee. And during those cuts, duties are distributed to the remaining staff along with all the stress. So you're looking at folks quitting as a result.

So between finding talent and recruiting volunteers from the site to help out as well as hiring freelancers to help with the workload, what you're looking at is a regular everyday business who's goal is to stay away from the redline by getting the job done as efficiently and quickly as possible without having to suffer any casualties than they've already had.

And if you hadn't realized, I too am tired of people complaining about Gaia. Of course I don't agree with everything they do, but I'm not about to sit here and complain about the good ol days or anything like that when we all know that those days can't happen again as the economy won't allow that.

So buck up and deal with it....or simply leave.

The mantra of fools. Accept it or leave...how naive.

"What a joke. You honestly believe that the reason why Gaia is trying so hard is because they've been spending irresponsibly and they need to make up for that?"
Answer is yes.

The admitted that their writing staff has increased by a large degree, whereas most people are suggesting that the plot was more cohesive when done by fewer writers.

If Gaia listed its cash shop profits, we'd have something to really argue over.

Anyway, you are contradicting yourself by suggesting that they aren't making poor financial choices and then tossing in that companies make a lot of mistakes.
And no where did I say that Gaia shouldn't be employing this cash blitzkrieg. They should streamline their spending or else the Cash Shop stampede could have some very negative effects.

A couple mil for a game that is flatlining after a year and is still in Beta, food?, they cater lunches and shiz? Ridiculous, wasteful spending.

No I haven't contradicted myself as the point of my post was to list the realities behind running a business and that sometimes responsible and careful decision making could sometimes be costly. So it's not wasteful spending, as you're trying to place it. This happens in every business.

"A couple mil for a game that is flatlining after a year and is still in Beta."

Flatlining based on who's observations? The game will continue being in Beta until Gaia feels comfortable making it official. A lot of online RPGs take a while to get out of the Beta stages as there is a lot of programming and planning and marketing tied to it.

Running a good company is a lot of hard work as you're also trying to keep the employees' morale up as well as please your clients. Placing money aside for events like these takes planning and budgeting. They just don't up and decide to stop production and cancel meetings just so they can go and play softball. These things are planned in advanced. And further more, catered lunches usually come from a local establishment that gives a good deal. So a catered lunch and these annual events are nothing more than blips on the screen compared to what they have to spend on updating software.
I think Gaia should update the cash shop more often. I think it'll help. I see items from 4 years go there still and now they are worth nothing.

Nimble Bunny

8,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
I do not mind at all that there are items that you must buy with cash. it is needed when a site has gotten to this scale and staff need to be payed. So it is totally understandable
I just wish that the gaia cash cards could be bought easily in Europe.

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
Shades and Angels
I do not mind at all that there are items that you must buy with cash. it is needed when a site has gotten to this scale and staff need to be payed. So it is totally understandable
I just wish that the gaia cash cards could be bought easily in Europe.

I'm positive they'll get there one day. Sometimes it just takes a while.

Big Lover

16,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
People should stop being whiny little b***h's the staff work hard D:<
Cantankerous Chibi
I think Gaia should update the cash shop more often. I think it'll help. I see items from 4 years go there still and now they are worth nothing.

Cash shop didn't exist 4 years ago rofl But I agree. I think they're updating it now.

15,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Zweizi Galon
I'm one of those crazy people who WANTS the Cash Shop. I mean, I can afford it aplenty! And normally I'll spend between $20-$50.00 a WEEK on Gaia.

But due to my parents' financial situation I've been cutting back on spending to help them out as my dad gets a new job.

But....once that's over...! 4laugh

GAIA CASH SHOP HERE AH COME!!!!

Besides. $25.00? I mean seriously....quit bitching. Little ole Grandma can give you that for birthday money. Hell, you can go to Target and buy it WITH her, and tell her about the cute kitty yer gonna get. ^^'

People b***h about spending real money on Gaia-things, but honestly? In perspective? It's NOT THAT MUCH MONEY.

Think about how much money you can make by just collecting bottles and cans near the road in your community after a month?

I used to do that when I was a kid because my parents couldn't afford to give me an allowance. I'd rake in between $45.00 and at the highest $75.00 in a month.

People, especially teens these days (yes I'm stereotyping..*gasp*) are seemingly getting more and more lethargic, wanting to b***h and have everything handed to them. It only takes a little elbow grease to get the things you want in life guys!!
Just want to say one thing. Not that much money? When you are BARELY scraping by every cent counts. If I had an extra $25 a month, I would NOT be spending it on Gaia. I would be saving it up for my child's well being, or to pay off any debts. A box of diapers, or a few PIXELS on the internet? Really now, which do you think I'm going to go for? Something that can be used IRL or PIXELS on a screen?

15,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
OP, the issue I have is not Gaia creating more GC items, it's the terrible Costumer service and support. I'll give you a couple examples:

Lady Psycho Sexy
6 months for my account -Zephyrotica-. Was told by a mod that my case was near the top of the priority list, so I kept waiting patiently, but I continue to be ignored while people who haven't had theirs down for longer than a week get theirs back.

It's not even about me wanting my trading pass back anymore; it's about me wanting to find a decent avatar site that doesn't treat its users like s**t. It's too bad, Gaia, 'cause I have a fair amount of disposable income I will never even think about giving to you after service like this. rolleyes

I hope you get your trading pass back, but more importantly, I hope Gaia pulls their heads out of their a** before they get any real competition. I know, wishful thinking rite.

volley15
xweek
volley15
I'm sure you all remember the fiasco's in the Cash shop a couple of months back.

...No. Must have been some fiasco if I can't remember it.
When the Secilia Pendant came out, thousands of people bought the Gaia cash and either couldn't use it at all in the cash shop, or just didn't receive the Cash at all. Reports started pouring in on Wednesday, but didn't get resolved till last thing Tuesday about a week later. There were literally dozens of threads in the SF forum. They could of had it done by end of the day Friday as the number of reports that came in that Thursday doubled from the day before. Then they could have gotten it done on Monday, but didn't. A couple weeks later it happened again.

Situations like these have caused thousands of people to completely stop spending money on Gaia. Many customers/users don't have confidence in you to justify spending hard earned money on you. When people pay REAL money for something, and then don't receive it for extended periods of time it causes people to not want to spend on you again. Just like how it is in the real world. If you ordered something from say,an Avon, or Marykay catalog, and never received it, would you be willing to spend money on them again? I know I wouldn't. Same concept.

And one more thing. There is one thing wrong with your analogy. While you mention MC's, that leaves out the EI's and RIG's.

Quotable Phantom

9,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I refuse to complain about the cash shops. I have gotten everything from the marketplace. This place costs money to run. I can not support it myself at this time so I don't. Those who do not contribute to this community be it donations, volunteering, buying items or even simply clicking an advertisement once in a while have NO RIGHT to complain. You get a nice service for doing NOTHING.

If you want Gaia staff to focus more on other issues perhaps you may want to consider letting them know via actual mail to moderators rather than ranting on a thread. Worked for me.
For as long as the issue has been in my consciousness, I've known where I stand. On the one hand, I recognize that Gaia needs very large amounts of money to stay afloat and give us what we want, and all that without starving to death. It is, after all, a company, albeit a nonstandard one. (But who knows; perhaps this is the company archetype of the future.) The other hand involves the way this need is used and manifested in the Gaian economy, and I admit I have a few issues with some of the arguably necessary methods such as the rarity of the most desirable of RIG grants. But while I have argued against various aspects of the Gaia Cash mechanism, I will freely accept that they do what they must, and while it may be a contrived statement, it could be much, much worse. Take this as my official declaration now: I believe in Gaia, and I support what they do to maintain their own welfare in addition to satiating all our clamors. As human beings, we are greedy. We don't need all that they give us, let alone all that we demand. We all have personal opinions about X and Y, but the difference lies between reasonable objection as an individual and bashing the entirety of the system merely for what it is. And at the end of the day, I hold a strong appreciation and admiration for those who work hard to provide us with a vision and an experience that far surpasses what we would have if they were to ignore what they knew was best and attempt to pay heed to every complaint of the simply unpleasable market to which we all belong.
It's funny.

People say that Gaia does not listen to there users, but those people listen to nor other users, and not to Gaia.

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Thank you for this. I was just thinking today about the whole "money hungry" image that Gaia has now. It's not a good image to give off. It's especially bad when it's associated with a company related to computer programming - a field that (from what I've been told) is notorious for overpaying lazy employees large amounts of $. Having recently come back from a 2 year hiatus, the huge dominance that the Cash Shop has now hit me really hard. Quite honestly, one of my very first impressions upon returning to Gaia was "Wow, this place is really pimping/whoring itself out!" That initial commercial impression disgusted me so much that I almost decided not to rejoin; I almost turned around right then and there to walk away again. That gut feeling was a direct result of the many ways the Cash items are promoted (not just the way the ads come across, but also the sheer frequency of new Cash items). But then I also started thinking about the bad economy, and how I heard Gaia had to layoff people recently, and how if you really need the $ then it makes sense to appear like you're begging. I kept coming back to the fact that I didn't know anything about how Gaia manages it's income. That there wasn't some way to know. Thanks to this, now I do know a little. Thank you Leena-nee for creating this thread (I actually have a vague memory of seeing it when it first came out way back when the Cash Shop was still new; so I'm glad it grew to include more info directly from staff themselves). Which leads me to... Thank you Gaia for being willing to talk about something as private as your company expenses/income with us!
I've always wonder how much Gaia actually made,
it's nice and all that you have how much they need to spend but how much do they really make with everything together that they gather within this site? confused
So Gaia ISN'T greedy...

Others were confusing me. I mean...how can someone (or somebodys) be so super nice, supportive yet be money greedy??? THIS explains all my questions and more...
Although I know a lot of people will disagree with me, and hey, even some of the Gaia staff might try to deny it, I just know, lets say I have a hunch, a gut feeling, that sooner or later there's going to be a "premium member" service. I don't know whether or not Gaia has ever stated they wouldn't do that, but even if they have, look back on how many other things they said they wouldn't do. rolleyes Look at Neopets, they eventually folded into doing just that, and I know I'm gonna get attacked for saying this, but Gaia is on the exact path that Neopets was on and it will eventually end up exactly where it's at (only more popular). But, that's not to say a premium member service would be a bad thing. I for one, would probably enjoy it assuming the benefits were good enough to justify the cost, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Should Gaia ever decide to make a premium member service, yes, many will be "outraged" but many more will actually buy into it and that's what Gaia needs and would want. But anyway, my initial point was that I expect to be seeing something of the sort within the next year or so. Hey, maybe it'll even be rolled out this year, who knows.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff