Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lt Oblivious
Firlodge_the_second
Lt Oblivious
Reason Number Here's one!:
The best way to get your a** kicked is to post spam when Lt and select other people are around then call them mean when they point this out. domokun domokun domokun

((Who are the select other people?))

//M, possibly Koydith, maybe Zechs if he isn't feelings so gentlemanly, and whoever else I've had on my side in spam thread wars.//

I would participate as well, but by the time I can get around to seeing the threads it's already dead and I'd just make it active again.

Hallowed Phantom

Dark Lord M
People take things to literally these days... and they always seem to find hidden meanings in sentences and words that aren't there. talk2hand
I hate school assignments that have you analyze "hidden meanings" in literature. Sure, authors like to reference, but there is a such thing as a good story with bonus, unintended morality/meaning.
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M
People take things to literally these days... and they always seem to find hidden meanings in sentences and words that aren't there. talk2hand
I hate school assignments that have you analyze "hidden meanings" in literature. Sure, authors like to reference, but there is a such thing as a good story with bonus, unintended morality/meaning.

Ha, well I was talking more about how most kids these days will bash another kid for a statement they say which they interpret as 'gay' and what not. I guess what you say works too.
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

Haha, that reminds me of something my friend talks about; she's a really fantastic artist, and we tell her she's going to be famous someday. So this conversation (an actual conversation, by the way) came up:

(In the future)
Reporter: So, what does the Starbucks in your drawing represent?
Alex: I like Starbucks.
Reporter: Interesting. And what does the cat mean?
Alex: I like cats.

Hallowed Phantom

Dark Lord M
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

Ha, well I was talking more about how most kids these days will bash another kid for a statement they say which they interpret as 'gay' and what not. I guess what you say works too.
Oh, you mean nonexistent subtext? I hate that too.
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

Oh, you mean nonexistent subtext? I hate that too.

I'm a literal person, so I take everything at face value, unless I know it's supposed to be dirty. Dirty things are easy for me to pick up on. Everything else, not so much.

Hallowed Phantom

That reminded me of something I stumbled upon earlier. I could not find the specific page it was on, but I quoted this and sent it to a friend earlier:

TV Tropes
"One fan wrote an irate letter to J.K. Rowling, demanding to know why she was willfully ignoring the subtext indicating a Malfoy/Hermione pairing."

Non-existent subtext if I ever saw it, considering how Draco treated Hermione like gum stuck to his shoe (and no, not every girl likes a bad boy). Also note the lack of regard that this was Rowling's story and Rowling decided who ended up with who (while I hate the epilogue, I was glad that most characters did not end up with people they knew in high school. That was a bit more believable), not to mention all the canon rules and out-of-character warping it would cause.

I also hate seeing people pair up two characters who are really close without any evidence to back up a romance. There are such things as "best friends for life," "loyal servant," and "partners." Two characters together =/= love relationship.

...Is it just me, or is romance the only nonexistent subtext that seems to come up? Because I honestly cannot think of any others. ...Okay, and symbolism. But besides those?

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nightmare1
That reminded me of something I stumbled upon earlier. I could not find the specific page it was on, but I quoted this and sent it to a friend earlier:

TV Tropes
"One fan wrote an irate letter to J.K. Rowling, demanding to know why she was willfully ignoring the subtext indicating a Malfoy/Hermione pairing."

Non-existent subtext if I ever saw it, considering how Draco treated Hermione like gum stuck to his shoe (and no, not every girl likes a bad boy). Also note the lack of regard that this was Rowling's story and Rowling decided who ended up with who (while I hate the epilogue, I was glad that most characters did not end up with people they knew in high school. That was a bit more believable), not to mention all the canon rules and out-of-character warping it would cause.

I also hate seeing people pair up two characters who are really close without any evidence to back up a romance. There are such things as "best friends for life," "loyal servant," and "partners." Two characters together =/= love relationship.

...Is it just me, or is romance the only nonexistent subtext that seems to come up? Because I honestly cannot think of any others. ...Okay, and symbolism. But besides those?

Oh God! I can only imagine what will happen if some crazy person sees the way SB and P act towards each other. NO! THEIR BICKERING IS NOT ROMANTIC SUB-TEXT! They have a brotherly-style relationship. Of course they argue.
LeitaKree
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

Haha, that reminds me of something my friend talks about; she's a really fantastic artist, and we tell her she's going to be famous someday. So this conversation (an actual conversation, by the way) came up:

(In the future)

Oh gawd, reminds me of my old art teacher when I was in my last year of school. xd

Granted, for the sort of thing I did for my art projects, there was a certain amount of symbolism. But my art teacher would try to find hidden meanings (perhaps reading her own meanings?) into the little bits that WEREN'T SYMBOLIC IN THE SLIGHTEST!

Such as this time I drew a work based on the theme of the human fear of death, and (rather obviously), it had a skull in it. Simple enough. The symbolism is pretty clear.

But then my art teacher said, "I see you've used a male skull in your artwork rather than a female one. What does that symbolise? Is it some kind of feminist commentary? Something about your view of men?"

To which I replied, "No, it's just that this was the only human skull the biology department had."

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nematri
LeitaKree
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

(In the future)

Oh gawd, reminds me of my old art teacher when I was in my last year of school. xd

Granted, for the sort of thing I did for my art projects, there was a certain amount of symbolism. But my art teacher would try to find hidden meanings (perhaps reading her own meanings?) into the little bits that WEREN'T SYMBOLIC IN THE SLIGHTEST!

Such as this time I drew a work based on the theme of the human fear of death, and (rather obviously), it had a skull in it. Simple enough. The symbolism is pretty clear.

But then my art teacher said, "I see you've used a male skull in your artwork rather than a female one. What does that symbolise? Is it some kind of feminist commentary? Something about your view of men?"

To which I replied, "No, it's just that this was the only human skull the biology department had."

((Yeh, my drawing is superbly crap!))

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nematri
LeitaKree
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

(In the future)

Reason number my brother is an idiot

Please, please, stop trying to pair everyone up. Bickering does NOT equal romantic-subtext.

Thank you!
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
LeitaKree
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

(In the future)

Please, please, stop trying to pair everyone up. Bickering does NOT equal romantic-subtext.

Thank you!

Heartily agreed with.

And to your brother, my old classmates insisting I pair up two of my characters for ludicrous reasons, the people insisting that Rowling and other authors "paired up the wrong characters!": The author wrote the work. The author created all the stuff in the work. The author decided what happens with the work. The author understands their own work better than you do. So stop telling them that you know "which characters were REALLY meant to be together.

Geez. You don't 'have a deep understanding of the author's work and characters'. You're just a silly teenager who wished the original author shared your silly pairing fantasies.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nematri
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
LeitaKree
Nightmare1
Dark Lord M

(In the future)

Thank you!

Heartily agreed with.

And to your brother, my old classmates insisting I pair up two of my characters for ludicrous reasons, the people insisting that Rowling and other authors "paired up the wrong characters!": The author wrote the work. The author created all the stuff in the work. The author decided what happens with the work. The author understands their own work better than you do. So stop telling them that you know "which characters were REALLY meant to be together.

Geez. You don't 'have a deep understanding of the author's work and characters'. You're just a silly teenager who wished the original author shared your silly pairing fantasies.

Err...my brother's in his early twenties. Well past the justifiable idoticness stage.
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
LeitaKree

(In the future)

Thank you!

Heartily agreed with.

Err...my brother's in his early twenties. Well past the justifiable idoticness stage.

Erp. I'd assumed that your brother was younger than you.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nematri
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
Firlodge_the_second
Nematri
LeitaKree

(In the future)

Thank you!

Heartily agreed with.

Erp. I'd assumed that your brother was younger than you.

Nope. Just has been a prude up until now.

Well, I'm 17. He's 5 years older than me. Work out how old he is from there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff