Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cosplay Prices - A WTF Rant/Discussion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 pm
Well...

After looking through some websites, I'm laughing to myself in hysterical depression at prices for cosplays. Some are as low as 80~something US dollars, while others shoot up into the 300-400 range! And that's with S+H being free. >.<

Is it just me, or does this seem ludicrous!? I don't care how few of a cosplay you sell. Something that's simply a shirt, light outer jacket, plush horns, and pants, should NOT cost me over $300. Fair pricing NAO!

.... It's almost at the point I'm willing to learn to sew on my own. Supplies have got to be cheaper than this....  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 am
They are usually cheaper if you make the costumes yourself, but making them can be pretty tricky and tedious sometimes.  

Aurora Sonata

Cute Hero

egoxromantic

Anxious Conventioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:54 am
I agree.

And I'm all for sewing, I simply have no one to teach me how.
The worse part about that is my dad now has a girlfriend who was an ex-costume maker, but I don't want to ask her for too much help because she's just that- my dad's girlfriend. They've been together for a while, but I don't want to start harassing her with cosplay projects. >.>

Oh, so I guess that was my rant right there. It was half a 'Grr! I wanna learn how to sew!' Rant.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:54 am
Mhm. Have you tried ebay at all? They have some sellers that do cosplay items.  

Stop Touching My Fetus

Quotable Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 am
While I can see the problem with paying a lot of money for what could potentially be a sub-par pre-made costume, you do need to consider how much time, energy and money goes into making costumes.

I know that the majority of costumes you can buy online these days are factory-made, and are just a little off, but when you see very nice costumes made by one dedicated person and then you get sticker shock, take into account that they bought the fabric, the notions, potentially bought or drafted the patterns, and went through all the work of sewing it together.

Costuming has never and will never be cheap.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:23 am
egoxromantic
I agree.

The worse part about that is my dad now has a girlfriend who was an ex-costume maker, but I don't want to ask her for too much help because she's just that- my dad's girlfriend. They've been together for a while, but I don't want to start harassing her with cosplay projects. >.>

Oh, so I guess that was my rant right there. It was half a 'Grr! I wanna learn how to sew!' Rant.

Actually, harrassing her with cosplay project would be a good way to not only you get closer to her, but her also to your dad if you like her ^^

So you do everyone a favor ^^  

SakuraRico

Maruul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am
Yeah, for those of us who lack the time/talent/motivation to make a costume, money can be a killer.
That's really all I have to say. I have a whole two costumes, one of which was pieced together from Goodwill, the other was bought online for about $90.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 am
I completely understand, cosplaying is a very expensive hobby, regardless of whether or not you sew your costumes yourself. I myself have purchased two cosplays, but I intend to learn to sew (I'm signed up for sewing classes this July) to cut costs and be able to cosplay more of my favorite characters that tend to be less known, therefore the 'factory' made companies tend to not sell.  

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:24 am
Some sites offer discounts...
I haven't actually bought for myself, but I keep an eye out for my friends that buy theirs online. For instance, one site recently had a special that they give 25% off the cosplay. So you end up getting free shipping for a lower price cosplay and saving about $5 or so...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:33 pm
Wow I guess I am considering myself lucky. The most I have spent on a cosplay is like 20$ and that was only paint and stuff everything else was free, I use stuff that I find or that people give me.
I have no cosplays anymore (1 is ripped and the other I lost) but I have 2 that will be done by next week 4 Anime Expo. Its Absol Ginjika and Bomberman.

I assume the popularity also has something 2 do with the pricing.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm
I forgot to mention this in my first post, so I'll just add another one.

If you want quality cosplay, and can't sew and don't have a lot of money, make friends with people who can, and do them favors. mrgreen

(There are also some people, like me, who will do it on the cheap because they love doing it.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:29 pm
SakuraRico
egoxromantic
I agree.

Actually, harrassing her with cosplay project would be a good way to not only you get closer to her, but her also to your dad if you like her ^^

So you do everyone a favor ^^

I don't know. She helped me with one thing... and seems to take an intrest in my strange outfits...
but she's probably mocking me behind my back or something. xD  

egoxromantic

Anxious Conventioneer

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 pm
Doctor Iris Rowley

If you want quality cosplay, and can't sew and don't have a lot of money, make friends with people who can, and do them favors. mrgreen

(There are also some people, like me, who will do it on the cheap because they love doing it.)
I have friends like that LOL,but I knew them before I cosplayed and before we started going 2 cons  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 pm
Doctor Iris Rowley

That's what my loving grammy is around for. whee heart  

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
egoxromantic
I agree.

If you ask her to teach you how to sew, she won't be helping much, and it'll save you loads of money.

Asking her to do it for you is a whole 'nother thing xD

A plus about your dad having a girlfriend who was a costume maker is she knows her way around things, and if you ever have trouble making a costume, you most likely won't have to ask around!  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff