Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convincing your parents to let you go to a Con Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Euphoria Kisses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:51 pm
Ive been wanting to go for a LONG time, but my mom is not going to let me go any time soon. So I was wondering if any of yuo had to deal with this and what you did to convince your parents. Any help would be GREATLY apreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:57 pm
Hmm, well my mom was pretty awesome about it and just understood the geeky NEED for a con... but I know some parents aren't like that. Do you know why your mom would object to you going? It could make this alot easier.  

XDZenLeeDX

Euphoria Kisses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:05 pm
I thinks shes not going to tell me because she thinks ill find a way to make her let me go but one time she said something about "I dont want her (me, I was eas dropping please dont shoot me) to think that ist okay to be--" (strange or bad I dont remember eacactly) she has some sort of hate of anime or something, Its really tough!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:46 pm
Good grief...
I know how y'feel, Hon. Seriously.

I've been begging my parents to let me go to a convention for three years, and two years ago, I finally got my mom to let me go, since it'd only be held about a half an hour away from my home town, right?

Haha, but Fate is so, so cruel!
The convention (Shimakon) was cancelled... and it was cancelled the following year, too, for the same reason.
The hotel was still banged up and in the middle of construction after a major hurricane (Dolly) hit it.

The only deal with me is that my mom doesn't want me to go anywhere without a friend.
I went to my first con last year with a few people that I introduced to her (they're my best friends, but I only see them ocne a month. DX!!).

But, I know how you feel.
My mom's only half alright with me cosplaying and being into anime.
I often hear her mumble to herself "at least it's not drugs/alcohol..." XD

Funny thing is that half of the cosplay events around this city lead us to the mall, and that's where my mom works.
She doesn't want her coworker to find out that I'm "one of those people" who dress up when it's not Halloween, so I usually have to go home when everybody else goes... or change. Which ever.

Advice to you... I will say that you should find some sort of support to get her to let you go.
Like, say that you're going with a friend or a bunch of friends that she knows are good people.

Also, if what you heard her say is true, then maybe you should explain to her that there's really nothing bad about being into cosplay.
And, like with my mom, remind her that there are worse things, like drugs or something.
In my position, my mom's only half-accepting, but yours sounds like she was like mine used to be.

Never hurts to try, yeah?  

eerieINFECTIION

FoxTailAngel

Shameless Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:42 pm
Pfftt with the things our parents used to wear when they were kids..
they shouldn't be complaining. LOL  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:31 pm
Dunno... Wish I knew, because then I'd be going to cons, and not wishing I was at one when it rolled around D:

With all the crazy s**t I heard my mom did, I don't see how going to a con is such a big deal.  

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

User_1017918

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 am

I second the support advice.

Just get some friends around you and maybe have your mom come along to one convention for a day with you. Tell her that it would really mean a lot to you. If she says yes then plan out a really fun day with different panels and things to do. Parents tend to grind their teeth at anime and conventions but a good parent knows that bonding with their kid(s) is a big deal. Especially when you get older and aren't around to share those type of memories.

Tell her about different costumes and stuff and take pictures with the two of you and some cosplayers. Make your mom take a picture with a ***** bear and dont explain what a ***** bear is. You know.. stuff like that. If she sees you having fun then she'll start having fun and will relax. A big thing is going to the right convention with a really family friendly atmosphere that's relaxed and not oppressive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:51 am
Wow, you guys make me feel so old. I can go anywhere without my parents' permission, I just need to spend my money carefully...  ̄、 ̄  

Aurora Sonata

Cute Hero

User_1017918

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 am
Aurora Sonata
Wow, you guys make me feel so old. I can go anywhere without my parents' permission, I just need to spend my money carefully...  ̄、 ̄

*cough28cough*  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:42 am
Genma Ruishito

*cough28cough*

I wasn't referring to you, lol. >w<

Aurora Sonata

Cute Hero

User_1017918

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 am
Aurora Sonata

I wasn't referring to you, lol. >w<

rofl

Heh. I just had to point it out. I think I'm reaching the end of my cosplay career but who knows? I still make costumes for other people so that's not a big deal. -- off topic for a moment --  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 am
No convincing necessary... mom loves them. biggrin

Her reasoning for me being on the computer and watching anime and stuff all the time is that "At least we know she's safe at home and not out and about doing god knows what." Ilu mom.

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 am
Now I'm old enough to do what I want, but when I just started to go to cons I just told em I was going out with a friend or something.
I have a habit of randomly dissappearing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:39 am
Never had this problem but when my mom asked me what I wanted for x-mas I said manga, video games, action figures its all good. She said, "your in college and your still into that stuff?" I said there are worse things I could be doing while I'm at college. She asked me which books I wanted lol  

Creepy Kuro Neko

Moonlight Phantom

FishandChips425

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:14 pm
sorry, i can't really help, im still convincing my parents 2 let me go 2 the con that is on my b-day. i am thinking about asking them if i can take a few friends and they come 2 watch me. it seems like a good idea, so try it if u want, tell me if it works.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff