Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
July 2009 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:15 pm
User Image

Blessed_Scribe

We are in need of writers for the following sections: Animal Totems, Beginner Practitioners, Crystals & Gemstones, Divination, Meditation, Pagan Music, Book Review, Spells and Astrology.

If you're interested, please head on over to this thread to pick up the application. Once you've filled it out, please send it to Blessed_Scribe.

It's a paying job (Gaia gold only), so it's well worth it! biggrin

As always, I'd like to thank the entire newspaper staff for being so awesome! However, I'd like to note that Starlock, doistu, and SwirlingDark are twice as awesome for helping me cover all of the articles that otherwise wouldn't have made it into the issue. Thanks guys!
~Maggie (dark_angel_32189)

Table of Contents
- Introduction
- Guild Happenings
- Member's Section
- Advanced Practitioners
- Animal Totems
- Author Spotlight
- Book Review
- Current Affairs
- Divination
- Elements
- Gemstones
- Gods and Goddesses
- Herb Garden
- Kitchen Witches
- Meditation
- Mythical Creatures
- Pagan Art
- Pagan Humor
- Pagan Music
- Spells
- Game Room
- Classified Ads
- Feedback - we want to hear your opinions
- Book Review Discussion - the title says it all  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm
User Image

We currently have a rather long list of stuff that we're working for in the guild!

- First, we took down some games/contests: Movie Trivia, Exquisite Corpse, Caption Contest, Wiccan Hangman, and Works of Fiction. They just weren't generating enough interest. This way we'll have more funds for the games/contests that you guys actually play the most, such as: Dicey, Lotto, Copy Cat, Poetry Contest, and the Avatar Contest.

- Second, we're thinking about moving the guild's charity, Pagan Blessings, to the Gaia forums. We've had the charity open for three months now and have only had one application for a donation. sad

Otherwise, we're looking for one or two active charities in Gaia to sponsor. What this means is that we'll donate a certain amount of gold to the charity each month. If anyone has any suggestions of a wonderful charity that might be interested in being sponsored, please PM dark_angel_32189.

- Third, We're thinking that it's time we gave our guild's look a little update. This just means a new home page (new colors/graphic/possibly a new mascot). We'll set up a poll and thread at some point so you guys can post your own ideas for colors and themes; and then vote on them as a guild. smile

- Finally, we'll be making some (stickied) threads to benefit you guys. These threads will pretty much be for stuff that you guys post topics on a lot.

The Threads
- General Q & A: This is where you all will be able to post general questions that aren't really broad enough to generate a whole discussion.

- Getting Started: This will be to help out those of you who are new to Wicca/Paganism. It'll pretty much include the basics; and you'll be able to ask questions if needed.

- Where Are You From List: Basically, this will be a list where people can share what country (and which hemisphere) they're from.

- Dreams: You can post all of your dream questions/comments in this thread.

- A ghost/spirit/paranormal help thread: This thread will be the place to talk about that sort of stuff, as well as to ask questions and get help with any problems related to the topic.

- All Things Altar: Post pictures, ask questions, talk about basic layouts, etc.

- A Faith Help Thread: For those of you who are feeling disconnected from your religous path.

- A Major Spiritual/Religious Accomplishments thread.

| Introduction | Guild Happenings | Member's Section | Advanced Practitioners | Animal Totems | Author Spotlight | Book Review | Current Affairs | Divination | Elements | Gemstones | Gods and Goddesses | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Meditation | Mythical Creatures | Pagan Art | Pagan Humor | Pagan Music | Spells | Game Room | Classified Ads | Feedback - we want to hear your opinions | Book Review Discussion - the title says it all |

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm
User Image

Please welcome our new members! biggrin

Violet von Twisted, Eleiza0250, The Musical Lemon, Beloved Chaos Angel, KicKaSsIuM, Images of broken light, Kitsune Boots, Divine Angel Yue, Rainbowitch, Dark Anathema, Le Kodoku, Shifting Frequency, Zabora Leonheart, Zombie Moshpit, phoenix_bandit, KageKitsuneB, FinalGrimoire, God_of_Skills, Kuja_vessel, xXxPainful_MemoriesxXx, Limstella_Blackfire, cupcake queer, Aiedaile, Tac400, Etaoin Shurdlu, Hexxe, shadowly darkness

Please wish the following people a happy birthday this month!
July 3rd - - Choir-Angel and Darke Skye
July 4th - - E l i x i e r and Blood_Thorn07
July 5th - - Roachy
July 6th - - whitefirewolf90
July 12th - - StrawberryDaifuku
June 14th - - candiipup and Mistress_Lynx
July 15th - - DeadCinderella
June 16th - - Randometicum Poeticum and Soul of Solitude
July 18th - - Bunniegurl123
July 21st - - AmyK02 and gaaras and milk
July 22nd - - suikoshi and Extravagantly Yours
July 23rd - - Myakachii and Ciele Fu
July 26th - - WiccanChick726, leowitch and ForbidenNightmare
July 27th - - Kuro Magami
July 28th - - 1Lilyflower
July 29th - - mODDern, Bunny Hermione
July 31st - - loveblackbutterflies

User Image

Congratulations to Doistu!
User Image

Blessed_Scribe: What initially sparked your interest in Wicca/Paganism?
Doistu: To be very honest I can't really remember how it started. All I remember was being in Borders and seeing the same book on witchcraft that'd I'd seen the week before in the teens section. It was Witchin' by Fiona Horne, so I guess I have her to thank for the journey I've taken so far!

Blessed_Scribe: How long have you be studying Wicca/Paganism?
Doistu: Since I was twelve altogether. However, I have a lull which led me to abandon it for a couple of years. Things really got started again about two years ago and it's still a growing passion.

Blessed_Scribe: What has kept you interested in Wicca/Paganism for that length of time?
Doistu: The studies are fascinating. Herbs, crystals, tarot, reiki, deities... there are so many subjects one can look into. Also, I just feel an innate connection to being a pagan and doing my pagan thing.

Blessed_Scribe: What is your favorite area of study and why?
Doistu: At the moment it's herbs. This is because I've really got into my healing practices recently and there's so much you can do with herbs. I made my first tincture yesterday actually! But other really interesting topics for me have been Tarot, Ancient Egyptian Gods and Healing.

Blessed_Scribe: Which element do you feel the strongest connection to and why?
Doistu: Water is the sign of my zodiac, but I've never felt that watery to be honest. I am a very fiery person. I can have a volatile temper or smoulder quietly in the background. I'm passionate and stand up for what I believe in. I guess that's why I connect with fire, I can be many different things all at once.

Blessed_Scribe: Have you ever experimented with any form of divination? If so, what's your favorite form and what's one of your most memorable experiences while using it?
Doistu: Yes, I have. Mostly tarot, but I might look into tea leaves. It's something I've always been a bit skeptical about because of the old films, but I'd like to give it a go. I guess my most memorable experience with tarot was receiving my Animal Wise tarot deck. I honestly don't know how I'd read without using it!

Blessed_Scribe: Have you ever tried casting a spell? Did it work? Why do you think it did or didn't work?
Doistu: I've not cast a spell in a very very long time. So I couldn't really say whether it was successful or not because I can't remember.
But I did perform a meditation just now to find my totem animal and it was somewhat successful. I have to try it again to gain some proper contact with my animals.

Blessed_Scribe: If you could have any type of "special" power, what would you choose and what would you do with it?
Doistu: Oh, this question is always such a tricky one for me. I guess I'd love to be able to control my destiny. I'd use the power to get into the university of my choice (as long as I was suitably qualified, of course) and then get myself enough money to do an herbalism course on the side!! I'd also love to get married and have a few kids.

Blessed_Scribe: What one book would you recommend to anyone new to Paganism; and why?
Doistu: That's a really tricky one actually. I have so many books. Either a Witches Bible by the Farrar's or (my favourite) The A-Z of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente. The latter because it contains info about every aspect of paganism. It isn't confined to new age Wicca or just spells for beginners. It can really teach you something, even as a new-comer to paganism.

Blessed_Scribe: How does being nominated for Member of the Month make you feel?
Doistu: It makes me feel awesome! I love this guild to pieces because I know that there's always people around to advise and help you out. I only hope I can return the favour!!

----------

Member's Art

If you'd like to have your art featured here, just PM Blessed_Scribe. You'll get gold for anything that you submit.
(Art is defined as poetry, short stories, excerpts from a novel, photography, sculptures, graphic design, painting, drawings, collages, etc).

| Introduction | Guild Happenings | Member's Section | Advanced Practitioners | Animal Totems | Author Spotlight | Book Review | Current Affairs | Divination | Elements | Gemstones | Gods and Goddesses | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Meditation | Mythical Creatures | Pagan Art | Pagan Humor | Pagan Music | Spells | Game Room | Classified Ads | Feedback - we want to hear your opinions | Book Review Discussion - the title says it all |

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:01 pm
User Image

Advanced Paganism: Huh?
Written by Starlock

In the most recent issue of PanGaia, staff conducted an interview with Carl L. Weschcke, owner of Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. Among their questions was one concerning advanced books. Carl illuminates one of the problems he has in seeking advanced books:

Carl Weschcke
Certainly one of the challenges we encounter is the question of what any of us mean when we use the word, "advanced." For some it is about the differences to be experienced within the traditional delineations of first, second, and third degrees of Gardnerian Wicca and its derivatives. For others it is a request for academic quality and style. ... But, I don't think we have fully comprehended what "advanced" in contrast to "beginners" or "introductory" means - or, within that context, what "intermediate" might mean.

I found myself asking this same question as I noticed the open listing for "advanced paganism" for this newspaper. What does that mean: "advanced?" Podcaster and High Priest Aidan Odinson of the Temple of Gaia has spoken on a couple occasions of the so-called "advanced" stuff simply being further applications of the basics.

In a sense, he has a good point. When we first begin walking this path, we inundate ourselves with basics. We spend a lot of time in books, absorbing information like a sponge. In this studying phase, some of us don't spend much time actually putting things to work. We also might not spend much time doing the really hard think work: the philosophy, the theology. We learn the superficialities of the basics, and only later does it really sink in and start to make sense. Perhaps, though, this is too wishy-washy.

On the other hand, the perspective that "advanced" stuff would resemble 300-400 level undergraduate coursework is a sensible model too. At this level, you cover specific topics in greater depth, sometimes in seminar format where you're expected to contribute significantly, or with components of research. If you do well enough, you might even work up to the master's level at 500 and Ph.D. at 600. Perhaps, though, this is too regimented.

What do YOU think? What the heck is "advanced" anyway? What does that mean to you? What does it imply about your progress on your religious and spiritual path? I encourage one of you to make a topic about this in the main forum to discuss it. Who knows, something you all spin up might end up in a future article! wink

-----

Sources:
*** Interview with Carl Llewellyn Weschcke by Michael Night Sky. Bringing Magick to the Masses. PanGaia #50. Spring 2009. Pg 14-19.
*** Aidan Odinson. "The Secrets in Plain Sight." Podcast. Available at: Secrets.Libsyn.Com

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:03 pm
User Image

Animal Totems - Periodical Cicada (Magicicada septendecim)
Written by Starlock

User Image

Insects seem to get the shaft as far as animal totems go. That's a real shame, as Magicicada septendecim will be quick to show you. The specific epithet 'septendecim' means 'seven' and 'ten,' referring to its seventeen year periodical emergence in the United States. Magicicada spends most of its time underground and in nymph form, feeding on the sap of tree roots. It is likely that its periodicity lead to folkloric associations of resurrection, rebirth, the renewal of life, and immortality.

In 2007 I had the privilege of witnessing the mass emergence of Brood XIII and boy, was it something. Descriptions will not do a justice to this event: it is something that needs to be experienced firsthand. In April or early May, the nymphs burrow up to the surface, climb up onto a tree, and shed their exoskeletons, transforming into the more familiar winged form. They do this in the thousands and work their way up to the forest canopy. During their two to six week existence above the ground they noisily work to attract mates and continue their cycle. Noisy, mind you, is an understatement. The tymbals at the base of their hollow abdomens rack their distinctive "phaaaaaaa-roah" song to upwards of 100 decibels. Imagine, if you will, thousands of these guys in your backyard all calling at once during the daytime hours.

Magicicada is both bold and fearless. They have not evolved behavioral aversion to predators, so they will land on just about anything from the brim of your hat to your shoulder if it looks like a good spot. One could almost call them friendly as far as insects go, as they do not bite either.

Magicicada is said to be an indication of something returning from the past, but in a positive way. If Magicicada, or any Cicada, appears in your life there might be some gift from your past you have yet to reap the rewards from. Other times it might mean you need to be more patient for your hard work to pay off. Magicicada after all has to wait seventeen years before it gets to fly in the sky!

-----

LEARN MORE ABOUT CICADAS:
*** Gulker, M. 1999. Animal Diversity Web: Magicicada septendecim
*** Cicada Mania!
*** Periodical Cicadas
*** Lake County Forest Preserve. "Periodical Cicada Backgrounder: Brood XIII Emergence, Spring 2007." Available at this URL.
*** Andrews, Ted. Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature. 1999. pp 257-258
*** Photo is my own, taken during the Brood XIII emergence in the Chicago area, 2007. In 2024, I hope to go back to the Chicago area and see them again! It's truly a magical thing to witness!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:04 pm
User Image

Author Spotlight - Doreen Valiente
Written by Doistu

User Image

Doreen was born in South London on January 4th, 1922 but moved to the West Country (UK), a very beautiful part of England, in her youth. She found an interest in witchcraft from a young age and began experimenting with simple magic at 13. Due to her parents faith she was sent to a convent school that she left, aged 15. She was initiated by Gerald Gardener himself into the Gardnerian tradition on Midsummers Eve 1953. It has been said that she had a large amount of input with regards to the revision of the Gardnerian tradition. She was able to reconstruct much of the current system of Wicca and give birth to what it is today. Doreen was very private and conducted much of her magical work with discretion. She also re-wrote the Charge of the Goddess before her passing. She passed on in 1999, September 1st.

Both as a poet and a non-fiction writer, many regard Valiente’s works highly. Her books echo similar themes throughout the collection. They focus on being a guide for newcomers to the craft and also, to serve as sort of historical documents on the development of modern witchcraft.

Some titles: ABC of Witchcraft, Witchcraft for Tomorrow, Natural Magic and Witchcraft – A Tradition Renewed.

-----

Sources:
Doreen Valiente

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:05 pm
User Image

Book Review - Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham
Written by Doistu

User Image

Title: Magical Herbalism
Author: Scott Cunningham
Pages: 241
Year published: 2001, Llewellyn

Brief synopsis (from the back of the book): In Magical Herbalism, certain plants are prized for the special range of energies-the vibrations, or powers-they possess. Magical Herbalism unties the power of plants and man to produce, and direct, change in accord with the human will and desire.

This is the Magic if amulets and charms, sachets and herbal pillows, incenses and scented oils, simples and infusions and anointments. It’s Magic as old as our knowledge of plants, an art that anyone can learn and practice, and once again enjoy as we look to the Earth to re-discover our roots and make inner connections with the world of Nature.

This book includes step-by-step guidance to the preparation of herbs and to their compounding in incenses and oils, sachets and amulets, simples and infusions, with simple rituals and spells for every purpose.

Review: I would urge anyone who picks up this book not to be put off by the infamous Llewellyn moon on the cover. It is, I believe, invaluable to anyone wishing to use herbs in a magical way. It thoroughly describes the tools you need and then gives some brilliant base concoctions to begin from. I never knew there were so many ways of preparing herbs for magical use until I picked up this book. He gives uses of herbs in terms of healing, protection, divination, love and incenses. This book is also a comprehensive guide on what each herb can be used for. Whilst not as detailed as his Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs, Cunningham does not leave any stone unturned when it comes to giving the reader everything they need to know. However, it must be noted that this book explains the use of herbs in ONLY a magical way. There is no focus on medicinal herbs whatsoever but this book is great for starting out with herbalism.

Rating out of 10: 8/10 because whilst a lot of freedom is given to the reader in terms of experimentation many of the correspondences found here do not match with some of his other work, an inconsistency that could potentially lead to a very confused reader.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:06 pm
User Image

Current Affairs - Summer, Sun and Stressing out
Written by Doistu

This time of year is stressful for many. Personally, I’m going through a period of exams. They demand a lot of brain power and time and I’m feeling really drained. I know people are planning holidays, looking after children and sorting themselves out for the glorious summer ahead.

It may just be a coincidence but isn’t that one of the point of celebrating the Summer Solstice? Preparing for the coming months? One of my favourite Sabbats is rapidly approaching and I’ve already started preparations for a nice celebration. I hope everyone has a brilliant day and I wish you all the best for the months to come.

However, returning focus to this idea of stress. Stress doesn’t always have to be a bad thing. Yes, it can get you down, make you tired and make you feel utterly defeated but it doesn’t have to be that way. Can’t stress be turned on its head and made into something that can help us?

For example, my exams are making me feel stressed so I focus that stress and say “Well, I’d better start studying then.” So I do and that stress and negative energy is transformed into motivation and a desire to do well. I suffer really badly from stress so I constantly try and find different ways of helping.

Today I made some spell stars and just taking those 30 minutes to do that really relaxed me and now I feel a bit fresher and a bit happier. Stress can be like a nasty monkey on your shoulder but we need to will it not to be. We need to use it to our benefit or we, ultimately, lose out on enjoying life.

My path is my de-stresser. I always feel happy in my path and what I’m doing with it. I love coming to the guild when I’m feeling low and seeing what people have been up too. It’s very liberating as I can’t often talk about my path with someone face to face. What’s so brilliant about my path is that I can always learn new things. A day rarely goes by when I don’t learn something entirely new in relation to my path. The change and the renewal of ideas keeps my mind ticking over and allows it to soak up the new information and relax.

Relaxing in times of stress is really important for the physical and mental self so take some time out over Sabbat to have a bath or read a book and really let the stress just melt away. Then we can grab the Summer and enjoy it while it lasts.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:07 pm
User Image

Divination - Color
Written by SwirlingDark

Color has played a part in many magical systems from the Babylonians and Ancient Egyptians onwards. In India and China, color magic extends back thousands of years and color energies have been a feature of healing work.

These ancient beliefs have been found to have psychological and physical validity. For example, blue helps to lower blood pressure and steadies respiration, while red raises the metabolic rate and orange stimulates the appetite and aids digestion. Pink is sometimes used to create soothing environments in prisons and hospitals as it seems to reduce aggressiveness or anxiety, although this effect can be counter-productive after prolonged exposure. However, the effects of color can seem to extend even beyond the psychological to a deeper psychic level.

Divining using colors can use ribbons, crystals, buttons or even colored pens, whatever you have available. Rather than answering 'yes' or 'no' or making a choice between two options, color magic is more subtle and can suggest a strategy for success.

The Method:
Take 12 ribbons, crystals or whatever you choose to use and place them in a box or bag. Without looking, take out a single color. Make a note of it, replace it and take out a second. Make a note, put it back and pull out a third. It is wise to shuffle the colors between taking them out.

The first color, the key issue, tells you the real area of concern, which may not be the surface one. The second color talks about conflicting issues or opposition. The third color suggests the best strategy for success or happiness.

White
Issue: You or someone close is feeling restless and wants to change an important aspect of his or her life.
Opposition: Change would threaten the status quo or may be making people close to you feel insecure.
Strategy: Initiate the change regardless, although you may have to begin slowly.

Black
Issue: There is a lot of unresolved business around you.
Opposition: Your own fears and doubts may be holding you in a negative situation.
Strategy: Counteract any negativity with positive actions, however small.

Grey
Issue: You may feel in limbo and sway between moving forward and hesitating.
Opposition: The indecisiveness or conflicting opinions of others may be holding you back.
Strategy: Accept that issues are rarely clear cut and adapt your plans so that you can achieve at least some of your aims.

Red
Issue: You may feel angry or resentful about a matter or are concerned with a survival issue.
Opposition: Because feelings may be running high, you could be involved in unnecessary confrontations.
Strategy: Direct any anger, whether your own or that of others, into positive action, rather than responding on a personal level.

Orange
Issue: Your identity and core beliefs may be at stake or you may feel that your personal happiness has been buried under the needs of others.
Opposition: A person may be trying to dominate you, perhaps in the nicest way.
Strategy: Resist any erosion of your personal space without damaging the egos of others.

Yellow
Issue: You may feel that your talents and mind are being spread over too many fields.
Opposition: Jealousy and even treachery are undermining your efforts.
Strategy: Be logical about priorities and be aware of what others are saying, especially when they think they are out of your hearing.

Green
Issue: Should you follow your heart or commit your emotional wellbeing to another?
Opposition: Others may be playing on your kind heart even exercising emotional blackmail.
Strategy: Trust your emotions and, if it feels right, move forward or closer. However, if your instincts tell you otherwise, listen to them and not the words of others.

Blue
Issue: You may be involved with officialdom or are contemplating an unconventional approach or move.
Opposition: An official or even someone close may be hindering your progress by arguing over minor details or attempting to hide behind the rules.
Strategy: Follow the conventional approach for now but use ingenuity to get things moving and do not compromise your high ideals.

Purple
Issue: You may be undecided whether to accept the short-term material advantage or deeper satisfaction that may be a long way off.
Opposition: Unrealistic dreams and hopes, whether your own or those of others, may be holding you back.

Brown
Issue: You may be feeling overwhelmed by responsibility or the demands and opinions of others.
Opposition: The people who are making the demands or offering advice may be suggesting that your ideas are ill-informed or selfish.
Strategy: Trust the evidence of your five senses and above all your common sense and off-load unfair obligations.

Pink
Issue: You may be feeling less than harmonious in your attempts to keep the peace in your personal or work life.
Opposition: The quarrels of others may be forcing you into choices you do not wish to make.
Strategy: Withdraw from the conflict of others and concentrate on restoring harmony within your personal sphere.

Gold
Issue: Should you aim high or accept the limitations of present circumstances?
Opposition: Others tell you that you have reached the limits of your potential.
Strategy: Believe in yourself and your own abilities and make your own targets.

As with all divination, your results are always open for personal interpretation and are merely a guide as to your situation.

-----

Sources:
Ancient Wisdom by Cassandra Eason. Pages 87, 90-93.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm
User Image

The Elements: Attuning to Earth
Written by Starlock

The next few articles are designed to help you attune to the various elements through personal exercises. There are many 'parts' to each of these exercises that can be done as stand-alone activities so feel free to switch things around a bit and see what experience works best for you.

See the previous newspapers for the Air and Fire attunement.

Materials
Plain-looking rock Easy to find just about anywhere.
Some minerals and gemstones. These are extras you can play with during the attunement.
Container of sand or gravel. Should be big enough that you can dig your hands into it a bit.

Methods
Find a location suitable for this exercise; a relatively quiet location where you can focus and not be interrupted. I like to find a hard surface for these exercises, like the pavement floor of a basement.
Spend a few moments relaxing, grounding, and centering. If you'd like, you can light candles and incense you correspond to Earth if it helps set the mood, then make a statement of your intent such as the following:

Quote:
Crystalize in me, 'o' Spirit of Earth,
As I learn to know thy essence.
Press upon me, augment my worth
To know thine stalwart presence.

Become conscious of the weight of your body, the force of it pressing into the ground, sinking downwards, deeper and deeper. It can be helpful to press your hands down into the ground with ever increasing pressure, all the while meditatively focusing on that sensation of solidity; the resistance of Earth which does not yield.

Feel your plain-looking rock, exploring it through tactile sense alone. As you turn the rock over in your hands, try to visualize its shape by its feel. Pick a word that describes its texture and another that describes the energy you receive from the rock. Experience the rock fully, like it is the first time you have ever touched or interacted with one. Use the rock as a point of focus to attain a sense of peace, harmony, or grounding. Also try passing the rock over your body from head to doe within the innermost layers of your aura.

Play with your minerals and gems. Just like with the plain rock, spend time fully experiencing one mineral at a time, at first using just your sense of touch to explore it. Characterize its feel and in particular, pay attention to the nature of the energy of the mineral. Does it pulsate? Contract? Shiver? Tingle? Let impressions flow as freely as you can.

Bring the essence of Earth within. Immerse your hands in the sand or gravel you placed in your container, letting it run through your fingers. Recognize that each of these small bits of sand or gravel were once part of a larger structured form. Like the grains, we as individuals are a smaller part of a greater whole and together we form a new structure. Think about the structure that is you, your community, your environment. Let the tangible essence of Earth speak forth to you.

Continue for as long as you want but eventually return your awareness to the present moment. Spend a few moments grounding and centering; blow out your candles if you used any. Give thanks to the Spirit of Earth with some closing words such as the following:

Quote:
Blessed be, 'o' Spirit of Earth
For helping me learn thy essence.
Build with me, for I am of worth
To know thine stalwart presence.

Extra Methods
Following are some other little practices you can do on an everyday or moment to moment basis to help you get to know Earth.
Look at the landscape as you wander around. We often take for granted the shape of our planet's surface, so pay attention to the contours, hills, and valleys.
Attune to a gemstone by carrying it around in your pocket for a day.
Walking meditations are a great and simple way to attune to Earth, particularly when barefoot. Just be mindful of the process of walking and that continuous contact with Earth.
Feel things! We're visual critters by nature, so spend some more time feeling things. It can be fun to learn to identify things by touch alone.

-----

Sources:
*** The incantations are highly modified versions of part of a poem found in Circle Magazine Issue 70 by Raymond T. Anderson of Champaign, IL. I just wanted to credit this guy again. =)
It's somewhat hard for me to pinpoint sources for this article; much of this is out of my own head, but there are some books that contain similar exercises that probably inspired me somewhere along the way and that you might find interesting:
*** Hawke, Elen. The Sacred Round: A Witch's Guide to Magical Practice.
*** Lipp, Deborah. The Way of the Four: Creating Elemental Balance in your Life.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm
User Image

Crystals and Gemstones - Corundum: Rubies and Sapphires
Written by Starlock

User Image

There's a good chance that if you mention the mineral "corundum" to most people you'll be faced with blank stares. Mention the ruby or sapphire, however, and everyone will know what you're talking about. Ruby and sapphire are sibling minerals, both arising from corundum, an aluminum oxide which in pure forms is either brown or brownish-white; a special type called emery is black and used to make sandpaper and knife sharpeners. Corundum is among the hardest minerals of our planet, ranking 9 and outmatched only by the diamond. It is also quite dense (specific gravity ~4) so it feels heavy in your hands.

Rubies figure prominently in old folklore. Because of its vibrant color, people came to believe the ruby possessed an inextinguishable inner flame. This idea also lead to a belief that rubies could cause water to boil when cast into the liquid. Worn as a talisman, Sir John Mandeville in the fourteenth century noted attested to the protective properties of rubies. The owner of such a stone would live in peace with all people and be protected from all sorts of perils such as loss of land or rank. For best effects, wearing it on the left side was recommended. Many of the best rubies are found in India, so it's no surprise that it was among the most important gems there. They divided rubies into four types based on the Hindu caste system, with the prized Oriental Ruby (called the Padmaraga or Brahmin ruby) said to confer upon its owner perfect safety so long as it never came into contact with inferior specimens.

Sapphires we usually think of as blue, but the term is applied to any corundum with impurities which is not red or pink. Sapphires gained an ecclesiastical reputation when the twelfth century Bishop of Rennes likened its character to the heavens and beheld its powers to be protection from fraud and clairaudience. Its ability to influence spirits was viewed for both good and ill; for ill it was believed necromancers and witches (in the pejorative sense) used this stone for their maleficent workings. Star sapphires are another special variety which were believed to protect against the evil eye. Another rare type of sapphire changes from blue to violet in different lighting conditions. An eighteenth century tale reported this property being used to test female virtue, with a change in color indicating unfaithfulness of the wearer.

The lore of both of these varieties of corundum may be used in our own magical practice. As very hard stones we might liken them to the element of Earth, unyielding and strong, great for protection as much of the lore attests. Rubies are often seen as tempered with the power of Fire, the planet Mars, fiery zodiac signs, the root chakra; sapphires with the power of Water, the Moon, watery zodiac signs, the throat and third eye chakras.

While we usually think of rubies and sapphires as very pricy cut gemstones, it is inexpensive to obtain raw ruby and sapphire from mineral shows or stores, so don't let a concern over price keep you from working with these amazing minerals!

-----

Sources:
*** Kunz, George Frederick. The Curious Lore of Precious Stones. 1913. pp 101-107.
*** Farndon, John. The Complete Guide to Rocks and Minerals. 2006. pp 160-161.
*** www.minerals.net. Search terms: corundum, ruby, sapphire.
*** Photo is my own, taken of a ruby and sapphire I bought from PV's Rocks for $2 each at an annual gem and mineral show. PV's Rocks, owned by Gary Peavy, is one of my favorite dealers with many high-quality specimens, so if you see them at a local show, please support them! They have an ebay store as well with a limited selection of their wares: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/pvsrocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:10 pm
User Image

Gods & Goddesses - Thor and Odin
Written by bluedragon23

Odin
Also known as: Odhinn, Wodin, Woden, and Othinn.
User Image

Odin is the leader of all gods. He is the God of the hanged, the wild hunt, the sky, poetry, and harvest/agriculture. He gave man-kind three different types of madness: that of a warrior in battle, of a seer in a trance, and of the poet in creativity. He fathered Balder, Hod, and Hermod with Frigg; Thor with Jord; and Vidar with Grid.

His attributes are the spear named Gungnir, the ring named Draupnir, and his eight footed horse named Sleipnir. He resides in Valhalla, where all the soldiers who died during battle go. He has only one eye, which is the Sun. He only drinks wine, and since he doesn't eat he gives his food to his two wolves. His two ravens fly through the world during the day to bring him back news of man.

Odin constantly sought wisdom, so he went down to the Well of Wisdom that was guarded by Mimir. She told him that in order to gain more wisdom the price would be one of his eyes, hence the reason why Odin only has one eye. When he sought the knowledge of runes, he gained it through suffering by hanging from the World Tree, Yggdrasil, while having been wounded by his spear for nine days and nights. While he hung there he learned the runes. Towards the end he saw all the runes clearly and learned their meanings.

Myth says that when Odin and his brothers killed the giant, Ymir, they made the heavens and earth out of the giant’s body; and the first man (Askr, or ash) and woman (Embla, or elm) out of two trees by giving them intelligence, a soul, and a new form.

Thor
Also known as: Thorr, Thunar, Thunor, and Donar.
User Image

Thor is the god of thunder. His favorite belongings are a magical hammer named Mjollnir (Destroyer), a belt of strength named Megingjardar, and iron gloves. He drives a chariot pulled by two goats, Tanngriasni and Tanngnost.

Thor is the son of Odin and Earth. He is married to Sif, the Goddess of fertility. He has two sons, Magni and Modi; and one daughter, Thrud. His enemy is Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent. Myths state that Thor will kill Jormungad, but then die from its poison on the day of Ragnarok ("Doom of the gods").

One day, Thor’s hammer fell into the hands of a giant named Thrym, who buried it deep under the rocks of Jotunheim. Thor sent Loki to reason with the giant and get his hammer back. Loki reported back and told Thor that the only way the giant would return the hammer is if Freya, the goddess of love, married him. Freya was repulsed at the idea. Loki convinced Thor to dress as Freya and met Thrym, dressed as his soon to be wife. At the wedding feast, Thrym decided to look under his bride's veil and was flabbergasted as to why his bride's eyes glowed like fire. Loki provided him with an excuse that he believed, so he placed the in his bride's lap. Then, Thor tore of his disguise and slaughtered Thrym and all his followers.

-----

Sources:
Magic of the Gods and Goddesses by D.J. Conway. Pages 233-245.
Bulfinch’s Mythology published by Gramercy. Pages 328-351.
Mythology by Edith Hamilton. Pages 454-462.
Odin
Thor

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:12 pm
User Image

Herb Garden - Mint
Written by PiercedPixie2

User Image

Mentha, usually known as mint, is a popular herb. It’s found in a variety of foods and fragrances, grown for the strong taste and smell. It grows best in cool, rich and moist soils. They do make good ‘companion’ plant sine they repelling bothersome insects but a gardener should keep an eye on these plants since they are invasive, and can take over a garden. If one does not have the time for pinching and watching this plant - pot growing is recommended.

In culinary, mint can be used in a variety of teas, jellies, garnishes, salads, and juleps. Many people love to include mint in their daily diet, since it breaks down fat very well.

Mint tea can be used to relieve stomach aches and menstrual cramps. Some mint juice before bed helps to give a more restful sleep and the tea can help your appetite 30 minutes before eating. Chewing mint leaves, gives your mouth a clean feeling and better breath.

Some more practical uses are if you grow mint at your door it will repel ants. To repel bugs from your pantry, stick some dried mint stems in either hanging or lying loosely. And to repel mosquitoes, put a mint pot on your back deck in the summer.

Planet: Mercury
Element: Air
Powers: Money, Lust, Healing, Travel, Exorcism, and Protection.

-----

Sources:
Medical Sources
Correspondence source
1001 Hints and Tips for Your Garden from Reader's Digest. Pages 75, 136, 176

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:14 pm
User Image

Kitchen Witches - Mint Recipes
Provided by AmyK02

The recipes all include mint; this month's featured herb. Mint adds freshness and a nice color contrast to many meals. Mint can also be used as a garnish on many drinks, salads and other foods.

Here are two of the recipes I like the best, but there are many ways to include mint into your diet. Don't be afraid to experiment and substitute ingredients.

Raspberry Mint Smoothie
Side Note: The given recipe is based off the one on the website with a few personal adjustments.
Yield: 2 Servings

Description:
This refreshing beverage can be enjoyed year-round but is an especially wonderful treat in the summer heat. The texture is very similar to a light smoothie and is sweet and healthy.

Ingredients:
• 1 cup natural yogurt
• 1/2 cup mineral water
• 3 ounces raspberries (or most any fruit... experiment!)
• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) granulated sugar
• 2 sprigs mint + garnish

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a blender and combine. (Use a medium setting, and don't blend for long; only until mint is shredded and fruit is blended.) Serve in glasses garnished with more mint.

----------

Refreshing Mint and Tuna Salad
Side Note: When I made this I only had shredded mozzarella cheese on hand that I used in place of the feta- and it was still very yummy.
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients:
• 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
• 1 (6 ounce) package crumbled garlic and herb feta cheese
• 3 hearts* of romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
• 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
• 4 green onions, chopped
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 4 cloves** garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
• salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large serving bowl, toss together the tuna, feta cheese, lettuce, cucumber and green onion. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, mint leaves, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss gently. Serve immediately.

----------
*The heart is the center part, or core, of the lettuce.
**A "clove" is a piece, or section, of the garlic "bulb".

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 pm
User Image

Meditation - Relieving Stress
Written by dark_angel_32189

We all feel stress at some point in our lives, whether it be from school, work, family, friends, or just life in general. What's important, though, is how we handle that stress. Different things work for different people, but I've found this very short and easy meditation technique to work incredibly well for me. Hopefully it'll work for you, too!

First things first, turn off your lights and other light-producing electronics (televisions, computers, etc). Then, light some scented candles or incense (or unscented if the scented ones bother you). Any scent is fine, just as long as it's one that will help you relax. After lighting some relaxing incense or candles turn on some peaceful, soothing music. I prefer playing Enya CDs while doing this exercise, but if there's another musician/band that you prefer then that's fine too (just no loud stuff! If you wouldn't hear it in a spa, then it's probably not a good idea to try it with this exercise).

Once you've done all of that, sit or lay down on a comfortable surface (I usually do this on my bed; but a chair, pillow, or the floor will work to. Whatever makes you the most comfortable). Close your eyes.

Take a deep breath in through your nose while visualizing a white, positive energy flowing into your body through your nostrils. Hold that breath in for one to two seconds. Then, breathe out through your mouth while visualizing a black, negative energy leaving your body through your mouth. Repeat.

I usually do this exercise for about fifteen minutes, but feel free to do it for however long it takes you to feel completely relaxed and stress-free (no more than half an hour at a time though).

It works for me every single time. I really hope it will work for all of you too, but you'll never know until you try!

The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games