Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
June 2008 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:01 pm
User Image

Table of Contents:
Introduction (you are here)
Letters to the Editors
Guild Happenings
Member's Section
Animal Totems
Beginner's Section
Book Review
Crystals & Gemstones
Divination
The Elements
Gods & Goddesses
Herb Garden
Kitchen Witches
Litha
Meditation
Mythical Creatures
Spells
Yule
Game Room
Classified Ads

Book Review Discussion Thread
June 2008 Feedback Thread
Suggestions Thread

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:05 pm
User Image

Do you have a question for one of our newspaper editors (it can be about the newspaper, something you read in the newspaper, about the guild... about anything really)? Or maybe you want to leave some feedback but wanted to leave it anonymously so that only the editors knew it was you who said it?

If you have a question (on any subject) that you'd like to ask, please send a PM to Blessed_Scribe. Our current editor is dark_angel_32189 and our co-editors are koudelkaW, and WelkingPath. You can also choose to have the questions answered by a certain editor if you'd like. Also, in your PM please specify whether or not you want us to post your question or comment anonymously. If you don't specify this then your username will be published along with your comment/question.

We look forward to reading/answering all of your questions/comments!

P.S. Just like anything else with the newspaper... if you send in a question and it gets published, you will receive some free gold!

| Introduction | Letters to the Editors | Guild Happenings | Member's Section | Animal Totems | Beginner's Section | Book Review | Crystals & Gemstones | Divination | The Elements | Gods & Goddesses | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Litha | Meditation | Mythical Creatures | Spells | Yule | Game Room | Classified Ads | Book Review Discussion Thread | June 2008 Feedback Thread | Suggestions Thread |

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 pm
User Image

If you'd like to review everything that happened in May 2008, stop by the Old Updates thread in The Memoirs!

Coming in the month of June:

- We will be having a Litha/Yule celebration around the 21st of the month. If you'd like to help us out by making suggestions for party games/contests, please send them via PM to The_Blessed_Mule.

- We will be giving you all lots of chances to win Cash Shop items this month. I'll tell you about some of the current opportunities farther down in this section, but there will also be more chances later this month which you will be informed of in the Annoncements thread, so make sure that you check in frequently.

----------

Current Guild Happenings:

In The Academy:
- The Astrology Class has been closed due to inactivity of the students.
- There's a new class on Reading and Understanding Auras! A very interesting class!
- There's a new guide on The Witch's New Year: Samhain! It's full of a lot of very useful information!
- There's also a new Sabbat guide which features information about all of the Sabbats as well as information on the Moon.
- There's a new guide on Grounding.

We are always looking for new 'teachers' in The Academy. If you're interest please visit this thread. We are offering anywhere between 500g - 1500g per class/discussion (we can/will raise/lower the payment range if we deem it necessary). The exact amount will of course depend on the depth and quality of the class/discussion. It's a monthly payment, so you will receive a payment for each month that your class is active.

---

In The Blessed Be Newstand you may or may not have noticed the new little announcement at the top of the threads. It is a new suggestions thread where you can tell us what you'd like to see written about in our articles. We are currently doing a raffle for July Monthly Collectible envelope, so please be sure to stop by the Suggestions thread for all of the details!

---

In The Main Hall:
- Monthly Guild Lotto: The first place winner for the June drawing is readaholic1 and the second place winner is koudelkaW. Congratulations to both of them!

We will now start selling tickets for the July drawing. Tickets will be bumped up to 150 gold a piece, because not only will you win gold, but the first and second place jackpots will also include a July 2008 Monthly Collectible! Be sure to stop by the thread (link is above) to find out how to buy tickets!

-Copy Cat Contest: The winner for the last round was shaddowchild! Congratulations! The next round has started with a picture of Indiana Jones to copy!

- Dicey: Be sure you read the first post (and pay the 150g fee) before playing!

Quote:
Alright, it's time to draw the number for the June MC envelope! Whichever number is drawn will be the number that you have to roll to win it. Remember that you can also win it by rolling a 6 or a 36.

You can also win 1,000 gaia gold if you roll an 11.

There's no limit to how many times you can roll, and be sure to send me a PM when you roll a winning a number with the page number that you won one!

Edit: The number is 10! Good luck!

- Poetry Contest: Congratulations to Little-Lenah's "Beautiful Soul" for winning the last round! The next round has started!

- Avatar contest: Congratulations to too2sweet for winning the Summer-theme round! The next round has started with the theme: Good vs. Evil. This means that your avatar should either be displayed as evil or as good, or if done correctly a mixture of both!

| Introduction | Letters to the Editors | Guild Happenings | Member's Section | Animal Totems | Beginner's Section | Book Review | Crystals & Gemstones | Divination | The Elements | Gods & Goddesses | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Litha | Meditation | Mythical Creatures | Spells | Yule | Game Room | Classified Ads | Book Review Discussion Thread | June 2008 Feedback Thread | Suggestions Thread |

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 pm
User Image

We had quite a few very lovely people join us during the month of May. Please be sure to make them all feel welcome!

xX Fallen Angel Raine Xx, brents_sarah, x-Sleep-less-x, DenvoPryde, Sky Raven Moon, alexispadams, ShroudofAhron, witchy_lez_girl_tashina, Gambling Setzer, Dire Sparkle, megsypu, Goddess_Harmonia, Korealia, Milendil, XxPained DreamerxX, Heart Overload, moon child, magickrules, God of Science, Medieval_Princess24, Mistress_Lynx, Neganti, MaddLlama, sakura908_1, Maura02, Asherah Luna, readaholic1, FinalFantasey, Sexy Black Bear, AxTaintedxMemory, Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note, and fluffbunny89.

----------

We'd like to wish the following people a happy birthday this month:
June 2nd - - morganita14
June 3rd - - blackfadedvelvet, Jypsi Lady and Kaori Kaminaga
June 4th - - Midget2783, usiylover2, torak317 and Kadaj Ishamu
June 6th - - Ishta Lypiphera
June 7th - - GeorgyGirl and xX Fallen Angel Raine Xx
June 9th - - silly_britt15
June 10th - - RyokoHatake
June 11th - - Lunaki3 and mizoryluvsme
June 13th - - xX+Oni-Chan+Xx
June 14th - - Roufette and TheExercated
June 16th - - Im_The_Millionth_Wonder and Freya Sui
June 17th - - Angel No More
June 18th - - Confirmed Sin and Cactus Attack!
June 19th - - Muffyn and Pandora_Desdemona
June 21st - - Fioce and Arthela
June 22nd - - Koojiraa
June 24th - - hp_artist
June 27th - - Ceannara
June 29th - - Scherzo-d

----------

User Image

This month's 'Member-of-the-Month' is Starlock! Not only does s/he contribute to guild discussions, s/he is also a writer for the guild newspaper and has written many wonderful articles on the elements!

User Image

"Have you felt that you've grown as a Wiccan (or as a person if you are not Wiccan) since being involved with Blessed Be?"
Starlock
Blessed Be has given me a renewed appreciation of the Neopagan community at Gaia Online. I was surprised to find such a large and high-quality guild had escaped my notice (I thought I knew about all the Neopagan guilds!). The energy work class has been helpful as it gave me new things to consider; same goes true for many of the other discussions this guild has.

"How do you describe yourself, in terms of your religion?"
Starlock
It's complicated.
Truly, it is for everyone. A single word just won't do. It'd be like using a single word to describe one's entire personality. A paragraph wouldn't do either. An entire book, perhaps?

Nevertheless, if I had to give someone a core, take-home message concerning what my path is 'about' in a single word, I would say 'Nature.' If I could supplement that with a whole sentence I'd add "I honor the Sacred/Divine manifest in all things but particularly what we humans call 'Nature'."

"What made you interested in learning about Wicca?"
Starlock
It was a couple things in prime. First was the incorporation of the natural world and an intrinsic reverence for it. Second was the general atmosphere and acceptance of magic and fantasy/imagination. I later came to find the Wiccan view of the divine (polarized into male-female) didn't suit me so I shuffled off to look at other areas in the Neopagan umbrella.

"What do you think it means to be a Wiccan/Pagan?"
Starlock
I can only speak for myself and not for others, but I suspect some of you will agree with elements of the below. I suspect if you were to ask me this question even a month from now I'd pick out different things. It means many things to be a modern Pagan; these five came to mind right now.
• Acknowledgement of the ecological interconnectedness of all things and an intrinsic appreciation or reverence for them.
• Eternally seeking of one's own answers and freely allowing those answers to change over time with new experiences.
• Ultimately realizing there are no 'answers' and thus being tolerant of anyone and everyone's answer.
• An actively participatory spiritual lifestyle which cultivates numerous personal mystical experiences.
• Free-styled syncretism that allows no domain of knowledge to go untouched, allowing insights from the entire world's wisdom.

"Why, in your opinion, is Neo-Paganism popular today?"

Starlock
It's popular in part because its postmodern so it is already adapted to many of our current sensibilities. This is somewhat paradoxical, for Neopaganism draws upon old roots; you'd think it would be anything but postmodern! The dominant faith in the West tends to stick to traditions more strongly and is not postmodern in its approach. Tradition can be a strength; it provides a needed stationary point in these times of rapid change. It also can be stagnating force. Those who find it stagnating their personal spiritual growth often look towards alternative religions like Wicca.

"In general what obstacles do Neo-Pagans face because of their religion?"
Starlock
I'll pick just one thing to talk about here: organization (rather, the lack thereof). While lack of organization is a strength of Neopaganism, it also makes the path very confusing. Newcomers often don't know where to start and don't have places to go locally to get guidance. There's no Neopagan church down the road where they can talk to an experienced clergyperson to get help and no strong local Neopagan communities that can serve as a resource for practitioners. While as a movement we'll always have that free spirited nature, we also need to learn to organize to provide networking and community support for our fellow pathwalkers.

"What are some common misconceptions that people have in regard to Wicca?"
Starlock
In one way or another, folks try to pigeonhole it too much. I notice this happening a lot, particularly with religious terminology (including the word religion itself). Complicated things tend to resist being sealed in concrete lockboxes with no wiggle room. Put another way, folks should keep in mind that Wicca (and any other religion) has a multifaceted identity and avoid trying to be too black-white cut-and-dry when defining it.

"What advice would you give to those who are looking to become Wiccan?"
Starlock
First I'd make sure that it's the path that's really suited for them. Sometimes people grab at the first carrot dangling in front of them. Rather than go on a resulting misadventure, I'd encourage the individual to tackle some fundamental philosophical/theological questions first and see how the world's religions match up with where they stand. If Wicca really does match them - or if it is still what they want to become after looking at other paths - I'd advise them to be aware of the varieties of Wicca. In particular, get them to understand the difference between perusing a more Traditional Wiccan path and a non-trad path.

"How do you want to be remembered when you die?"
Starlock
(laughs) It isn't really going to be up to me, is it? May each remember simply as they remember, though I'd prefer an honest remembrance. No sugarcoating, but no scapegoating; I dislike the thought of people lying to themselves in memory of me.

"How do you feel about the term "witch"?"
Starlock
I avoid using it. It's not that I dislike the term; the problem is if I use it around the average person they're going to react negatively and have a completely different mental image than I intend them to. To avoid such unproductive miscommunication, I don't use the term unless it's been clarified beforehand what it means or I otherwise know the listener understands I don't mean the green-faced, long-nosed, evil, cackling, b***h witch.

"Do you believe that creatures such as faeries and dragons exist, either in this plane or on another? Why or why not? "
Starlock
It's complicated.
To be uncomplicated about it, I believe everything exists. Without exception. The real question is: in what way do I believe in it (or in what manner does it exist)? I'm pragmatic and clinical about these things. Rather than focus on what 'real' is or if someone's claim is 'real' I prefer to focus on the tangible, practical consequences of what they believe. Believing an invisible pink dragon is giving you telepathic messages? Sure, okay. Believing an invisible pink dragon is giving you telepathic messages to kill yourself and taking it seriously? Not okay. Go see a clinical psychologist.

"How do you feel about people keeping their religious beliefs a secret from their friends and/or family?"
Starlock
If someone is keeping a secret from you or hiding something from you, what's among the first thoughts that run through your mind? Often a feeling of weariness or mild fear will set in. After all, if they're hiding it, it must be bad or wrong in some way. Being in the closet implies you have something to hide and that this something to hide is bad. Because of this, I'm rarely in favor of anyone being closeted. If it doesn't look suspicious to people on the outside, it'll gnaw at you from the inside.

----------

And now for some art!

Want your artwork (drawings, poetry, photography, etc) to be featured here? Then, contact Blessed_Scribe for more details. You will receive payment for any of your artwork that is published in the newspaper.

"Happiness"
by Magyc7

Happiness is:
A friendly face,
A circle dance,
A warm smile,
A job well done,
A brand new friend,
A chocolate bar.
Happiness is:
Wherever you are.

---

Our last poetry contest winner:

"Beautiful Soul"
by Little-Lenah

Don't be too hard on yourself,
Beautiful Soul,
For there are many trials in life
and if you hang your head
for every little mistake,
Now where would you be?

Beautiful Soul,
For there are many ups and downs
And if you fall down and lay there
For every little heartbreak,
Now where would you be?

Beautiful Soul,
For life throws many surprises at you
And if you freeze
At every little shock,
Now where would you be?

Be easy,
Sweet Spirit,
For joy can be found
Even in the smallest of things.
Raise your head and smile
That's where you want to be.

Be easy,
Sweet Spirit,
Forgive, but not forget
Each lesson is worth something.
Get up and keep walking.
That's where you want to be.

Love,
Beautiful Soul,
Let go of the darkness.
A heart was meant to feel pain,
But only to learn Love.
Set free your wings.
That is where you're meant to be.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:13 pm
User Image

Animal Totems - The Wolf
Written by WelkingPath

User Image

The Wolf is our next animal totem.

Wolf is a powerful animal, and one of the best teachers of the animal kingdom. She is a social animal, but can also roam alone.

When Wolf comes to you, take notice if she is alone or with her pack. When Wolf is alone, she is showing her freedom. When she is with her pack, she is showing that she has a sense of community. Whichever aspect of her she allows you to see, you should take on that aspect.

Wolves howl to communicate with their pack members and to tell other packs where territory boarders are. If you are lucky enough to hear this powerful sound, Wolf is telling you to stand your ground and defend your own boundaries.

Wolf teaches you to balance the needs of your family and friends with the needs you have for yourself. If you see her stray from her pack, she is telling you to let go of their needs for the time being, and take care of yourself for a little while. She is loyal to her packmates, but does not lose her individuality to them. Wolf is telling you to evaluate your social situation. Are you becoming too dependant? Are you getting stepped on? Do you need to stand up for yourself?

Wolves use a lot of body language to communicate, also. It is advisable for those with this totem to learn to “listen” to the body language of those around them to find out what they are really saying and what they really think.

Since Wolf has such a strong pack life, she also allows us to see the Web of Life on a much smaller scale. We are all connected, and we each have so much to teach each other.

Sometimes transformation comes from Wolf’s friendly teachings. What new social niche do you need to fill?

Wolf will add balance and harmony to your daily life—but only if you let her. Take a good look at this natural teacher’s way of life and you will find that she is the embodiment of endurance, strength, and balance. Just breathe and let her take you into her world for a look through her eyes.

----------

Sources:
http://www.sayahda.com/cyc5.html
http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/dictionary_of_animals.htm#Weasel:

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 pm
User Image

Beginner's Witchcraft Section - Article Number 1
Written by WelkingPath

Where does one start when it comes to beginner’s Witchcraft? There is so much information out there, so many paths to walk, so many opinions of Witchcraft and Paganism that one is nearly overwhelmed at the wealth of information on the internet alone!

These articles will be the very basics of what one must know to be a Witch, Wiccan, or Pagan. If you wish to have more specific information, or my personal opinions on the issues you glimpse in my articles, feel free to PM me. I would love to discuss these matters with you.

Because of the nature of such an article, this first article, and the ones hereafter, will be successive—growing on top of topics previously discussed.

That said, I might also do a series of articles, which can be taken by itself or compared with the month before or after it.

Either way, I intend for these beginner’s articles to be objective and opinion-free. If you think that I don’t achieve this, and are offended, please PM me.

These articles will, however, lean towards the religion of Wicca, since that is what I’m most familiar with. If you want more information, but have trouble sifting through the oodles and oodles of information that the internet provides, again, PM me.

Are you seeing a pattern yet? Got a problem? PM me. Need help? PM me. Don’t like what I write? PM me. Want to know my dog’s name? …

You get it.

Alright, lastly, since this is a BEGINNER’S article, I will assume we are starting from scratch.

But we aren’t starting from scratch, are we?

If you’re a part of this guild, you obviously have SOME idea of what paganism, Wicca, witchcraft, and magick is, right? Well, most of you do—or think you do—but I’ll give you a little review in just some short and simple definitions.

Pagan: A follower of any earth-based religion, including Wiccans, Druids, and Shamans. Pagans are not Satanists.

Wicca: An earth-based religion under the umbrella of Paganism. Most Wiccans (people who practice Wicca) revere the Lord and Lady, where others prefer one over the other. Wicca embraces magick and personal choice and is in no way associated with Satanism.

Witchcraft: The practice of magick.

Witch: One who participates in witchcraft. Can be male or female. There are many types and traditions of witches. Witches do not necessarily practice Wicca as their main religion.

Warlock: An offensive term that novices may use to call male witches or Wiccans. The word literally means “oathbreaker.”

Another thing that I will do with this article is give you a recommendation each time. This recommendation could be from the internet, a certain book, or even a small activity, like a meditation.

So here’s my first recommendation: If you go to www.youtube.com, search for MagickTV. They do a great job at keeping you up to date with various opinions and authors, coven leaders, and just overall big figures in the pagan world. They also have some lessons that you can watch!

All in all, I hope this article has been some help, and I hope I can continue to show you what the pagan world has to offer. Like I said, PM me if you need anything.

May the road rise up to meet you, and the wind be at your back
Merry Part, until we meet again
Blessed Be

----------

Sources:
http://onespiritx.tripod.com/dict00.htm

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 pm
User Image

Book Review - Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
Written by too2sweet

User Image

Title: Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
Author: Ellen Dugan
Pages: 262 pages
Year Published: 2007

Synopsis (from the back cover):
A natural Witch has an appreciation of nature and an awareness of the magickal energies present in all things. This kinship with the unseen world is at the heart of Witchcraft. It is also the foundation of all magickal work.

You will enhance your spell crafting, empower your witchery, and add richness and depth to your everyday life by developing your intuition and psychic skills. Natural Witchery features straightforward how-to’s, first-hand stories, spells, rituals, fun quizzes, and creative exercises to help you live a more magickal life:

Learn how to tune in to many different kinds of energy, such as the cycles of the moon and the energy of the seasons, and use it to fuel your spell work.
Explore different types of psychic abilities, and discover your own elemental strengths and challenges.
Use natural witchery to create more harmony and balance in your home, workplace, and circle.

This friendly guidebook also includes a Book of Witchery with magickal correspondences and a handy journal section for keeping track of your progress.

Review: I always say that all knowledge is worth having, so in that sense this book isn’t a complete waste of space, but overall I think it is a little bit too “fluffy”. There are some good practical exercises that might be useful to those who are just starting out, or for those who are seeking a deeper insight into their own “magickal” personality, and some interesting information on various correspondences - including a whole section on moon phases and elements. The book also covers how to incorporate your “witchiness” into your daily life. I think what bothers me most about the book isn‘t so much the information in it, but how it’s written. While this may just be a personal issue, it seems to me that the book is just filled with cutesy witchy stuff/buzzword and not as much practical info that serious seekers might want to know (no one needs to spell magical with a “c“ and a “k“…if we are reading a book on witchcraft - we know what you are talking about without the extra letters). A lot of the information in this book (and much better) can be found with a quick Google search. Is it nice that she includes a journal section (insert cutesy title…“Book of Witchery“…need I say more)? Yes, but a true BOS should be your own, not part of someone’s book. So overall, I have to say that this one is not going to be high on my recommended reading list - if you find it cheap (or at the library, as I did), then you might give it a glance, but otherwise definitely not worth the $17 cover price.

About the Author: Ellen Dugan has been a practicing Witch for over 20 years and has published several other books on the subject of witchcraft. For more info on her or her books you can check out http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/author.php?id=45853

If you'd like to share your opinions on this book or on this review, please go to the book review discussion thread!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm
User Image

Crystals & Gemstones - Sodalite

User Image

Color: Blue.
Appearance: Mottled dark and light blue-white, often tumbled. All sizes.
Rarity: Easily obtained.
Source: North America, France, Brazil, Greenland, Russia, Myanmar, Romania.
Energy: Receptive
Planet: Venus
Element: Water
Powers: Healing, peace, meditation, wisdom

The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall
Sodalite unites logic with intuition and opens spiritual perception, bringing information from the higher mind down to the physical level. This stone stimulates the pineal gland and the third eye and deepens meditation.

It is a healing stone and can be used to help heal emotionally related diseases or diseases that are caused by anger, fear, stress, or nervousness.

To get rid of fear and guilt you can wear or rub the stone over your body.

You can also wear the stone to help still your mind, to relax your body, and to calm any inner turmoil.

The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall
Sodalite balances the metabolism, overcomes calcium deficiencies, and cleanses the lymphatic system and organs, boosting the immune system. The stone combats radiation damage and insomnia. It treats the throat, vocal cords, and larynx and is helpful for hoarseness and digestive disorders. It cools fevers, lowers blood pressure, and stimunlates absorption of fluid in the body.

----------

Sources:
The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals by Judy Hall
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic by Scott Cunningham

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm
User Image

Divination – Runic Divination
From The Book of Runes by Francis Melville

"Divination is the magical art of discovering hidden things, foreseeing future events, or discerning the likely outcome of current situations. It is the most popular way of using the runes. Usually, a specific number of runes are selected randomly, laid into set positions, and then interpreted. The different formats in which the runes are laid are known as runecasts or spreads.

Using a rune pouch
Before you begin runecasting, you should make a pouch in which to store your runes. A rune pouch should be sufficiently large to allow the runestones to become thoroughly mixed when shaken. Some runecasters like to draw the runestones directly from the shaken pouch and place them in the appropriate position of the runecast. Others prefer to cast all of the runes onto a special cloth, usually black linen, silk, or velvet, and then turn all of the runestones face up and consider each one briefly. Afterward, they turn the runes face down, swirl them around, and select the required number of runes for the runecast. Some people like to select the runes with their left hand, which is governed by the feminine, intuitive, and receptive aspect of our nature. Sensitive people may even feel a magnetic pull that draws their hand to a particular rune.

Asking a question
It is usual, although not essential, to ask a specific question before carrying out a runecast. If you are performing a runecast for someone else, this person is usually referred to as the querent—the person who is asking the question. When formulating a question, keep it simple and direct.

Reversed runes are runes that are upside down. They usually have the opposite, or reverse, of their standard meaning. Some runes do not have reversals because they are identical upright and reversed. Many runecasters prefer to ignore reversals, believing that there are sufficient positive and negative meanings in the standard rune interpretations to give a full and detailed reading. Some runmasters only use reversals for certain types of runecast. You could even select a single rune before each runecast to decide. If it is reversed, then incorporate reversed runes into your reading; if not, don’t. Experience will guide you toward the methods that best suit your purposes.

One-Rune Draw
The one-rune draw gives a quick overview or response to a current situation.

Example: “Can I trust this new friend of mine?”
If Algiz were drawn, the answer would be unequivocally affirmative because Algiz represents protection, trust, and friendship. Should Hagalaz be drawn, however, the querent should be cautious because this rune’s primary meanings are destruction and disaster."

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:23 pm
User Image

The Elements - The Elemental Qualities: Putting it all Together
Written by Starlock

By now we have an idea of what the different qualities are and what they mean. It may be intuitively apparent to some of you which qualities go with which element. Each element has two qualities and contrary qualities can't be paired together in the same element (so you won't have an element that is both hot and cold or both dry and moist). According to the Greek philosopher Aristotle:

Aristotle
Fire is hot and dry wheras Air is hot and moist (Air being a sort of vapour); and Water is cold and moist, while Earth is cold and dry.

So far so good! Almost all sources available in the Neopagan and metaphysical section of the bookstore will list these two qualities appropriately by their elements. The problem - aside from that these books don't explain what the qualities mean - is that they'll neglect to mention that each element has a primary and secondary quality.

Aristotle
Earth by dry rather than by cold, Water by cold rather than by moist, Air by moist rather than by hot, and Fire by hot rather than by dry.

This quote is only a page after the earlier one (perhaps less depending on which translation you're reading) and so often forgotten! Yet this is critical as the primary quality describes the essence of the element in question and forms the core foundation of any sort of correspondences you might want to bring out of the four elements. We'll explore this a bit more later on down the line but for now let's bring all this together.

The table below lists the primary and secondary quality of each element as well as a those keywords for 'what it means' presented in the last two articles. The meaning of each of the elements is of course much more than this, but what is below is the core foundation one can discover by studying the Greek source of these ideas.

User Image

Next time I'll introduce the final piece of basic elemental theory that deals with how the four elements relate to one another (and might be controversial to some of you!).

----------

Sources:
*** Oxford's Two Volume Set: The Complete Works of Aristotle. In particular, "On Generation and Corruption."

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:24 pm
User Image

Gods and Goddesses - Apollo
Written by Bromisto

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In Greek and Roman mythology, Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto, and has a twin sister, the chaste huntress Artemis.

As the patron of Delphi, Apollo was an oracular god — the prophetic deity of the Delphic Oracle. Medicine and healing were associated with Apollo, whether through the god himself or mediated through his son Asclepius. Apollo was also seen as a god who could bring ill-health and deadly plague as well as one who had the ability to cure. Amongst the god's custodial charges, Apollo became associated with dominion over colonists, and as the patron defender of herds and flocks. As the leader of the Muses and director of their choir, Apollo functioned as the patron god of music and poetry. Hermes created the lyre for him, and the instrument became a common attribute of Apollo.

In his youth, Apollo killed the Python, which lived in Delphi beside the Castalian Spring. This was the spring which emitted vapors that caused the oracle at Delphi to give her prophesies. Apollo killed Python but had to be punished for it, since Python was a child of Gaia.

Apollo has his ominous aspects, too. Marsyas, a satyr who dared challenge him to a music contest, was flayed after he lost. Apollo brought down arrows of plague upon the Greeks because they dishonored his priest Chryses. Apollo's arrows of plague struck Niobe, who, excessively proud of her seven sons and seven daughters, had disparaged Apollo's mother, Leto, for having only two children (Apollo and Artemis).

----------

To read more about Apollo visit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/apollo.html

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:26 pm
User Image

The Herb Garden - Grapes
Written by Choir-Angel

Grapes of course have long been a symbol of revelry and fun, rejoice, intoxication, and life. The origin of grapes is located by the area of the Middle East but is now widespread in regions with a mild climate. Wine can be obtained from the fermented grapes, and enjoyed at all kinds of occasions. There are many grape types and are mainly classified into the two categories of white and black grapes. Grapes are also one of the main detoxifying foods and can rid a body of poisons when they are the only food eaten. When on a diet such as this, it is possible to lose excess weight. This sort of diet is also good for those with kidney problems, gout or arthritis, and circulatory problems. This is largely attributed to its abundance of potassium, low sodium levels, and presence of vitamin B.

Grapes are also good as laxatives. When a grape is eaten whole, without removing the skin, it helps to clean our bowels and prevents constipation. Grapes as well are a source of natural energy because of their wealth of sugars and carbohydrates.

The fermented grape or wine has also long been valued in the treatment of cholesterol. It also helps to improve blood circulation, and to prevent heart attacks.

Grapes are also one of the best skin humidifiers when used externally, so they hydrate and recover the skin from the effects of dryness. The grapes pulp extended on the face in a mask from during 20 to 30 minutes is a good resource to eliminate wrinkles, and the vines sap can be used to reduce the eyes inflammation.

When it comes to grapes magickal uses, you can paint pictures of grapes onto garden walls to ensure fertility, and eating grapes or raisins will also increase your own fertility. They also strengthen mental powers and are used often as libation and during ritual.

Planet: Moon
Element: Water

----------

Sources:
http://www.botanical-online.com/uvasangles.htm
"Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" by Scott Cunningham

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:28 pm
User Image

Recipes - Grapes
Written by StrawberryDaiFuku

Country Grape Sherbet

Ingredients:
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 egg white, beaten
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup concord grape juice.

Directions:
Combine ingredients and beat until sugar dissolves. Pour into 2 refrigerator trays and freeze until nearly firm. Turn mixture into chilled bowl and beat until fluffy and smooth. Work fast and do not let mixture melt. Return to trays and freeze until firm. Makes 6 servings. To freeze, wrap blocks of sherbet, seal, label and date. Recommended storage time is 1 month. Note: attractive and tasty when garnished with fresh strawberries, cherries or red raspberries. Georgia Peacock , Dryden

----------

Caramelized Grapes

Ingredients:
5 Cups Seedless Red Or Green Grapes
2 C Sour cream
1/2 C Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Brown sugar

Directions:
Wash and dry grapes. Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla together. Pour cream mixture over grapes and stir gently. Pour into a 9x13 pan. In a saucepan, bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Immediately pour over grapes. Don't stir. Chill for 3-4 hours.

Yield: 6 Servings

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm
User Image

Sabbats - Litha (Circa June 21st in the Northern Hemisphere)
Written by Kareena80

User Image

In the southern hemisphere the Summer Solstice or Litha is celebrated around December 21st-23rd. Litha marks mid-summer and is when the sun is at its highest in the sky, and represents to us the longest day and shortest night. The northern hemisphere celebrates this day in June, when the sun enters Cancer.

At Litha, the tale of the Oak and Holly King, the light and dark lords, is told. The Oak King represents the waxing year, Mid Winter to Mid Summer, while the Holly King represents the waning year, Mid Summer to Mid Winter. They are both necessary because without decay and destruction no new growth can begin. Twice a year they meet each other and fight. At Yule it was the Oak King who won the battle. At the Summer Solstice, although light is at its strength, it also is the peak of the Oak King's reign, he is conquered by his darker twin, the Holly King, and the inevitable journey towards the darkness and the depths begins.

Litha is considered one of the best times to perform magickal rituals and the traditional time to harvest magickal and medical herbs. One of the names for the Moon at Midsummer is "Honey Moon" as this is a time when the hives are rich with honey. The honey can be fermented and made into a traditional Midsummer drink called "mead".

It is believed that on this midsummer night, the gates between this world and the world of faeries are opened, and the faery folk can come and go as they please. You can welcome them in if you wish, but beware- they do have a reputation for mischief. Whatever you do, do not eat any of their food, for it is said that those who partake of it become their servants forever.

The Midsummer fires are traditionally kindled from Oak and Fir and herbs are thrown into the fire to prevent sickness, bad luck and to help the crops grow.
The herbs are: St. John's Wort, Rue, Vervain, Mistletoe, Lavender, Thyme, Fennel, Plantain and Mugwort.

In return for the Goddess & God’s blessing it is suggested you do something for the earth- perhaps recycling waste or cleaning up litter around your home town.

Activities
- Decorate your circle with solar images, sunflowers and sweet scented summer herbs.
- Make and wear daisy chain necklaces & crowns
- Re-enact the battle of the Holly & Oak Kings.

Colors:
Blue, Green, Gold & Yellow

Herbs:
Frankincense, lemon, myrrh, pine, rose and wisteria.

Foods:
All garden vegetables and fruits

Deities:
Apollo, Balder, Oak King, Holly King, Sul, Isis, Hestia.

Symbols:
Oak leaves, acorns, bees, honey, floating candles, cauldrons, marigolds, ivy.

----------

Sources:
"The Book Of Wicca" by Lucy Summers
http://www.janih.com/lady/sabbats/litha.html

----------

Solstice Herb Bread

Ingredients:
C. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. dry active yeast
2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 1/4 C. hot water
2 tbsp. Crisco

Directions:
Mix 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add herbs, water, and Crisco. Beat slowly, stirring in remaining cup of flour until smooth. Scrape batter from sides of bowl and let rise in a warm place for 35 minutes or until it doubles in bulk. Punch down and beat with a spoon for about 15 seconds. Place dough in a greased loaf pan, patting down and forming a loaf shape with your hands. Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes or until it again doubles in bulk. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Brush top with butter or margarine and remove from pan to cool.

------

Build Your Own Stonehenge

Here's a unique way to celebrate the solstice: Build your own Stonehenge. As you might know, Stonehenge is one of the oldest (4,000+ years) and best known astronomical calendar sites in the world. You can recreate it without going through the bother of lugging 25 to 50 ton slabs of rock around the neighborhood. All you'll need is a bit of ambition, and a location offering an unobstructed view of the eastern or western horizon. Locations offering a 360º horizon view are ideal (and rare).

Materials:
Center stake for reference point.
50 feet of rope.
20 to 30 marker stones or small stakes.
A compass.

Directions:
The first thing you'll need to do is create a viewing circle. Anchor a reference stake at the center point of the circle and place your compass on top of it. Find due north and place a marker at 50 feet north of the center. Repeat the process for east, west and south. (The rope is used as a guide to insure that all markers are equidistant from the center stake.) Again, using the rope as a guide, place a small marker stone every few feet around the perimeter of your circle. The center of the circle now becomes your fixed reference point and the westward facing perimeter is where you'll be placing the sunset markers.

The calendar can be started at any time, but the solstice sunsets are the most fun. Mark the point of sunset with a pole, stake or other (not easily moved) marker. Tag the marker with the date of sunset.

Repeat the process every seven days or so. Over the weeks and months you'll note that the sun appears to "walk" faster at some times of the year than others. When you've finished (in a year's time) you'll have a working astronomical calendar and an excuse to invite friends and classmates over to the house to check the date.

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games