Welcome to Gaia! ::

What part of zOMG! was the first to confuse you? Elaborate in the topic, please! Let's talk! We've all had our "days"... :P

I couldn't find my way out of the null. 0.063291139240506 6.3% [ 10 ]
I didn't know what lag was and had no idea why I couldn't move. 0.056962025316456 5.7% [ 9 ]
I wondered what all that recrewting for smEB, smob, etc was about! 0.18354430379747 18.4% [ 29 ]
Why were there rings in the MP if I couldn't sell mine?!11! 0.075949367088608 7.6% [ 12 ]
The first buff ring I found. Why the heck couldn't I shoot with it? 0.10759493670886 10.8% [ 17 ]
Stuck in the trees and I couldn't move! PANIC!! 0.044303797468354 4.4% [ 7 ]
Why were all these people in GB standing by the null instead of killing Sand Golems like decent players? 0.082278481012658 8.2% [ 13 ]
I never got confused. I'm just THAT bright! 0.18987341772152 19.0% [ 30 ]
I'm an old player and still confused about a lot of things. 0.15189873417722 15.2% [ 24 ]
I'm only just starting out and lots of things confuse me! 0.044303797468354 4.4% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 158 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Familiar Friend

Oh s**t!

This thread has so much good content I could sink Swarf's pirate ship with it! surprised

Rainbow Hunter

turtless
Oh s**t!

This thread has so much good content I could sink Swarf's pirate ship with it! surprised

Jz! emotion_hug
Don't sink Swarf's ship. Poor Swarf. cry

Rainbow Hunter

Now then, people, let's hear it! What was the first thing to confuse YOU in zOMG! ?

For me... I was stuck in the null and never noticed the crystals in front... rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Benevolent Codger

I was lucky enough to get here early; I was around for closed Beta, which gave me a good opportunity to get familiar with the game before anything could really confound me too much. However, shortly after the game was released publically, I took a break. redface

When I came back, the first big confusion I recall having was trying to get Knife Sharpen to work - even apart from the fact that I was accustomed to it as an Ally Only buff, whoever thought it made sense for sharpening an enemy's knives to be damaging? And an accuracy debuff? I still don't get it. neutral

The curious thing about zOMG!, is that the more you know, the more confusing it gets - most zOMGaians play the game blissfully unaware of all the utter nonsense that underlies their enjoyment. While I'm glad it doesn't really prevent players from enjoying the game, I still think we'd be better off making things a little more sensible... sweatdrop

Aged Nerd

What was the first part of zOMG that confused you?

Easy one! Running out of bullets in Village Greens. sweatdrop

The whole Stamina thing wasn't explained at all, that I can recall.

Rainbow Hunter

Red Kutai

When I came back, the first big confusion I recall having was trying to get Knife Sharpen to work - even apart from the fact that I was accustomed to it as an Ally Only buff, whoever thought it made sense for sharpening an enemy's knives to be damaging? And an accuracy debuff? I still don't get it. neutral

In the beginning, I thought that knife sharpen was just an attack. Hey, it was a knife (two knives, even!), you could aim it at the enemy and it did a bit of damage - right? But I thought it was SUCH a weak attack! razz So few damage points! gonk It took me a while to figure that out (until I started reading guides about rings, I suppose.)

I also had this weird misunderstanding about Keen Aye. The description says something about "seeing on beforehand where the enemy is" or so. I took that literally - I thought it would help you see better what enemies were on other screens (like, those ninja-star-target-like things that appear when an enemy is on the next screen near you? I thought wearing keen aye would make those appear earlier or something like that). I thought that was not very interesting and I think it was eventually you who demonstrated to me the efficiency of Keen Aye. Ohh the accuracy! No longer all that "missing"!

As for healing halo... when I was *very* new, I thought that was a healing ring like bandage. I actually remember trying to heal myself by RR1-ing healing halo over and over on myself.
That, too, was not so long before I started reading the guides (and learning about rage, in the process, thankfully.)

Rainbow Hunter

beckygrendel

When was it again that you started, Becky? Was it, like me, when the default first ring was already Guns Guns Guns, unlike the earlier players who were offered a choice?

I sometimes notice that earlier players that started out with e.g. solar rays find it VERY weird when a newbie says "Help! I've run out of ammonition!!"
But from the point of view where the default first weapon is a gun (like it was for me), I don't think it's that much of a stretch *at all* to conclude: "hey, I can't shoot anymore, I must be out of ammo".

My problem, however, was not the "running out of ammo (or stamina)". My problem was that I that started playing smack dab in the middle of the infamous Halloween event of 2010. LAGVILLE!! And I had never played an MMO before, had no idea what lag was, so yes, I thought the reason why I couldn't move, or why my shots didn't have any effect on the gnomes, HAD to be because I was doing something wrong.

Aged Nerd

Memory Haunts You
beckygrendel

When was it again that you started, Becky? Was it, like me, when the default first ring was already Guns Guns Guns, unlike the earlier players who were offered a choice?

I sometimes notice that earlier players that started out with e.g. solar rays find it VERY weird when a newbie says "Help! I've run out of ammonition!!"
But from the point of view where the default first weapon is a gun (like it was for me), I don't think it's that much of a stretch *at all* to conclude: "hey, I can't shoot anymore, I must be out of ammo".

My problem, however, was not the "running out of ammo (or stamina)". My problem was that I that started playing smack dab in the middle of the infamous Halloween event of 2010. LAGVILLE!! And I had never played an MMO before, had no idea what lag was, so yes, I thought the reason why I couldn't move, or why my shots didn't have any effect on the gnomes, HAD to be because I was doing something wrong.

I didn't join Gaia until January 1st of last year. According to my badges, I started playing zOMG on Tue Jan 04, 2011.

Lawn Gnome Clipper
Acquired : Tue Jan 04, 2011
Description : Defeat 50 Lawn Gnomes to earn the Lawn Gnome Clipper badge.
emotion_awesome

So yes, I only had the Guns Guns Guns ring. On my other computer I have a screenshot of myself in VG wearing my embarrassingly newbie outfit. lol xd If it wasn't for zOMG, I would have moved on to some other site. Once I discovered zOMG, I was hooked and telling all of my friends.

That's so funny that you started in the middle of the Halloween lag!! eek rofl I remember how confused/annoyed I was the first time I ran into lag. If it had been my first day, I probably would have given up.
gonk

Rainbow Hunter

beckygrendel

That's so funny that you started in the middle of the Halloween lag!! eek rofl I remember how confused/annoyed I was the first time I ran into lag. If it had been my first day, I probably would have given up.
gonk

It was quite something. No matter how much I shot at those darn gnomes, they just stood there, looking smug and wiggling their bushy eyebrows. stressed

First I didn't know what to think. Kept hammering on the keyboard, thinking I was doing it wrong.
Then I started to realise: there is something wrong with this game... Hmmm I wonder if there is a place where I can find out whether it is just not working for me, or whether it is broken for everyone.

So I looked around, and then, HALLELUJAH!!! I discovered that there was a zOMG! forum. idea

Destructive Bunny

I was a hardcore MMO gamer, the thing that confused me the most were the buff rings. Why are the descriptions so vague? How much damage is reflected and at what rate? Why can't I see how much armor/defense I have? And density... why would I want to be fatter? crying

Rainbow Hunter

Starshine
And density... why would I want to be fatter? crying

Let me guess: but very soon you learned that you needed to get fatter in order not to be blown away and land stuck in some wall or shrubbery? lol

I had no /clue/ what My Density was for, and since I played solo so much I really had to limit myself to carrying the most essential buffs.

But what I never realised, was how good Healing Halo is for the lower level areas. In some of them, you don't even need to carry a healing ring if you keep Halo RR4'd. AND!! Bonus! which I only found out a couple of months ago: Halo makes you fatter heavier too! That was really a lightbulb moment for me: no need for density to fight e.g. Taiko drums, halo adds enough weight to counteract to their shoving. That was a bit of a revelation to me.

And I found that out when Gataka had issued a challenge in the forum to see how far you got wearing the rings he assigned - I believe it was Angel set + Ninja set. We should do more challenges and experiments like that in the forum. biggrin

Lonely Member

8,225 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm an old player and Rage confused me at first. Also the Ghi meter is and still is kind of confusing.

Hype Master

18,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
TBH, it was so long ago that I first played, I don't really remember if I became confused about anything or not. Nothing big enough to leave a lasting impression apparently.

Rainbow Hunter

II HazelSkye II
TBH, it was so long ago that I first played, I don't really remember if I became confused about anything or not. Nothing big enough to leave a lasting impression apparently.

You probably saw it all build up from the beginning, too.
Were you here since the very start?

Reminds me of something that people, who were here from the start, probably saw build up, and that people who have been around for a while have started to take for granted too: farming crews (in different areas).

When you fall newly into the game as a beginner, these are really strange. You know, the ons that get all upset when you kill a fluff in Village Greens or a Terror in Old Aqueduct?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff