Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Xeiya

I'm surprised that they haven't tried harder to make more money from zOMG over the time it's been going, thought of some really great zOMG-related things that people would really want to to spend money on -they'd only have to make an item once then sit back and watch the money come in. Maybe they could've made some really amazing buddies, dragons or something, that everyone would like and make them more expensive than the usual ones? They'd still be available to people who didn't want to pay real money through the marketplace.
I think pay-to-play areas are a good idea, they could work on new areas in the months/year that the area is exclusive to the people paying for it and when they release the new areas they make those the new pay-to-play areas and make the old ones free for everyone. The pay-to-play users (as well as zOMG cash items) fund the new areas being made which eventually become free to everyone. I'd be more willing to pay to enter new areas first if I knew the money was going back into zOMG.
Maybe they could even do more to promote mini-games in zOMG, like some users play hide-and-seek there, they could promote playing things like that there and sell items to aid them?

I don't see why money from zOMG-related items couldn't go back into updating it, any money from zOMG shouldn't have to support making new Gaia Facebook games -if they're not supporting themselves they're pointless and will go the same way anyway.

I think you're right though, the main attraction (or at least the first attraction) of zOMG is that it's free to play and if it became pay-to-play people would just leave and do something else; if you're gonna pay for an online game you might as well play the best one out there or find something free that is as good. If they made only some areas pay-to-play (and eventually free) like DMS it'd be less of an issue though because most of it is free.

I think that is an excellent idea.
The sales of the Bloodstone Amulet certainly proved to everyone that there's a sufficiently large, existing user base to introduce such a concept, and by leaving the current areas free to play you don't throw up any road blocks to potential new players.
And with any luck, by the time many of them got to the pay-for-play areas, they'd be hooked and more likely to pay than they might have been when they hadn't yet experienced the game.
That is actually a classic Marketing ploy, and I'm kinda surprised that no one at Gaia ever thought of it.

Just goes to show that there's lot's of ways to monetize zOMG! if the will to do so exists.

Friendly Lunatic

18,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Conventioneer 300
WideEyed
Xeiya

I'm surprised that they haven't tried harder to make more money from zOMG over the time it's been going, thought of some really great zOMG-related things that people would really want to to spend money on -they'd only have to make an item once then sit back and watch the money come in. Maybe they could've made some really amazing buddies, dragons or something, that everyone would like and make them more expensive than the usual ones? They'd still be available to people who didn't want to pay real money through the marketplace.
I think pay-to-play areas are a good idea, they could work on new areas in the months/year that the area is exclusive to the people paying for it and when they release the new areas they make those the new pay-to-play areas and make the old ones free for everyone. The pay-to-play users (as well as zOMG cash items) fund the new areas being made which eventually become free to everyone. I'd be more willing to pay to enter new areas first if I knew the money was going back into zOMG.
Maybe they could even do more to promote mini-games in zOMG, like some users play hide-and-seek there, they could promote playing things like that there and sell items to aid them?

I don't see why money from zOMG-related items couldn't go back into updating it, any money from zOMG shouldn't have to support making new Gaia Facebook games -if they're not supporting themselves they're pointless and will go the same way anyway.

I think you're right though, the main attraction (or at least the first attraction) of zOMG is that it's free to play and if it became pay-to-play people would just leave and do something else; if you're gonna pay for an online game you might as well play the best one out there or find something free that is as good. If they made only some areas pay-to-play (and eventually free) like DMS it'd be less of an issue though because most of it is free.

I think that is an excellent idea.
The sales of the Bloodstone Amulet certainly proved to everyone that there's a sufficiently large, existing user base to introduce such a concept, and by leaving the current areas free to play you don't throw up any road blocks to potential new players.
And with any luck, by the time many of them got to the pay-for-play areas, they'd be hooked and more likely to pay than they might have been when they hadn't yet experienced the game.
That is actually a classic Marketing ploy, and I'm kinda surprised that no one at Gaia ever thought of it.

Just goes to show that there's lot's of ways to monetize zOMG! if the will to do so exists.

That's the thing though, I'm wondering how well the bloodstone amulet/stone sold/is selling because if it's doing well enough to fund a new area that's exactly what they could do with the profit from it -but I doubt they'd give us the figures.
If we had the figures to work with we might be able to come up with something, a way to make zOMG more profitable or maybe people who were less-inclined to buy items for cash might be more willing to do it since they'd be aware that supporting the game is very much needed if they want new areas.

I wonder if they'd be interested in even entertaining any ideas that we came up with...

Eloquent Lunatic

14,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Champion 300
Blitz Jax
Point proven that Gaia HQ is only interested in making shitty FB games and hates us. :/
I'm sure they love zOMG! it's just not making a lot of money. FB games do make a lot of money

And as you know money runs the world

Stone-cold Seeker

I actually have a question,
I know there won't be any new development on it, nor work unless it's a bad bug...
But will you still cycle the servers so often?
sweatdrop I believe we could use a good cycling now too... sweatdrop
Sorry if this is a dumb question, or that it's already been addressed.

Familiar Lunatic

electric_halfnhalf
I know there won't be any new development on it, nor work unless it's a bad bug...
Aye, they'll cycle.

And aye it has been asked. Feel bad now : P

Stone-cold Seeker

gataka
electric_halfnhalf
Aye, they'll cycle.

And aye it has been asked. Feel bad now : P

Thanks, and ._. Sorry mate...

Familiar Lunatic

electric_halfnhalf

Sorry? There's no need to be sorry.

Feel worse now! I feed on bad feeling *w*

Stone-cold Seeker

gataka
electric_halfnhalf

Sorry? There's no need to be sorry.

Feel worse now! I feed on bad feeling *w*

@ o @

Invisible Hoarder

All I can say is that I'll miss you JK. W/e project they've assigned you now I give you the best of luck to give us something to make us all happy :3

Tipsy Angel

12,450 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
So I've been on gaia since 06 aaaaand i started zomg maybe a month ago...I wish I had started sooner because it really is awesome. I got to level 10 in like a week because i played so much. ^.^
I really hope zomg doesn't die =(

Original Sex Symbol

11,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
User ImageLove, Gimme love, gimme love, I don't need it...User Image

❥✖[How nice of you to clear things with us. I agree that it does not seem likely that you will be back to zOMG. But I will hold steadfast to the hope you will. We, as a community whole, should absolutely never, never give up. We're behind you, and your creation. Always. Love Maron.]❥✖

User ImageBut I'll take what I want from your Heart and I'll keep it..User Image

Dangerous Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Survivor 150
im sure the last thing jk wants is for everyone to quit playing ..all the hard work they have put into zomg.. the least we can do is keep on playing...even though no new areas for now doesnt mean theres not friends to be made and areas to be played

Rogue

I believe that there are several ways that Gaia can monetize ZOMG. For instance:

The fact that the amulet itself is proven to be effective, perhaps gaia can employ similar concept to make it P2P(Pay to Play) that is by making a specific item to be purchased from gaia cash.. It is soulbound but if the same user have more than same item the spare ones will not be soulbound. that way it can be made available in MP

Similar concept with NPC Companion (minus the alchemy), Gaia can release ZOMG creature accompanion available in cash shop annually or half annually

Master Cliff Fate's Partner In Crime

Tiny Bunny

17,950 Points
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
There was a time, back in 05... when I felt good about sending money to GaiaOnline to get the donation letters, because it helped the site. It was during this time, that the users actually felt like they mattered - like they were making a difference in supporting the site with just a mere $2.50 USD

But of late, it feels like the higher ups have lost touch with it's user base. Yes, I know that zOMG is lacking in money, for whatever reason that most of us don't understand. And I think I would be better with this, if users would get feedback in other areas of the site as well - for instance... The Guilds have been neglected much the same way as zOMG... despite the users for that also begging for an update.

I'm sad to see this update - entirely so. Because this game is the only MMO that I've ever really wanted to play...I think the team did wonderful in creating a cute little story line for the users to enjoy, and the game just had a good feeling about it as you tried to conquer the animated. >.<

The higher ups need to read what their users want; this is supposed to be a community site... The users should matter more. And the outcry for this is clear - many of their users are upset. zOMG is a wonderful game... And there are ways out there to increase the zOMG revenue. No doubt some of the facebook users (considering they're so keen on supporting that damned site) would be intrigued by a game that actually has a plot.

Like many who've already spoken here, I absolutely detest facebook games. They tend to be redundant, boring and entirely unsatisfying. This being said if we don't have to link our facebook accounts to our gaia accounts (I use my facebook for use only - no employers are ever impressed by the fact that your Farm is prosperous), and it's against the facebook ToS to not use your real name on the site. Being forced to support gaia there isn't what I have in mind, no matter how much I like JK as an artist.

I was happy to see that Swarf seems to still be dedicated to the game. But I have to ask, where is the money going to that users continue to spend on zOMG purchases in the Cash Shop now? Is it collecting to help Swarf or they applying it elsewhere? (The latter seems unethical)

I'm sure a lot of users feel like this - if we aren't made of money bags, we may as well be swept under the rug like an unwanted ball of lint. : / I will continue to show my undying support for zOMG, and only hope that others will do the same, so as to hopefully be recognized as a significant part of this gaia community.

Benevolent Codger

[ JK ]

Since I've yet to see it said, I'll add this: I do appreciate your courage, [ JK ], for sharing this with us. There's no doubt you could've gotten by indefinitely while keeping quiet, and it surely would've been easier on you to do so - the fact that you chose not to shows not only great strength, but a great deal of respect and care for the zOMG! community. As always, we most heartily appreciate your honesty with us. heart

I understand that the situation seems dire - to you, more than anyone. But I assure you that my faith in zOMG!, its community, and its future, is not shaken in the least. zOMG! has overcome obstacles in the past, thanks to the cleverness and resourcefulness of its developers, and its community - those things have not changed. Like any bump in the road, this feels more jarring than it is truly harmful - I don't doubt for a moment that we will get by... 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff