Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Hi guys, I have a new contest for you guys to participate! IT'S NEW.
This time, I have 2 categories for you to enter; Flash Fiction Category and the Short Story Category!
If you would like to participate, but you have yet to write the story, just quote or PM to notify me!
You could choose to enter both as desired. And well, you can submit as many essays as you want. As long
each essay isn't similar to each other. I will checkkkk.

FLASH FICTION CATEGORY
PRIZE: 400k gold gaia_gaiagold gaia_gaiagold (If I really fancy your work, I may give something extra.)
2ND PRIZE: 200k, 3RD PRIZE: 80k

PARTICIPATING PRIZE: 20k gold gaia_gaiagold (For every essay that meets the requirements. Given after the deadline.)

DEADLINE: 1st February 2014 (I decided to extend it as I have no time to decide on the entries. D smile

WINNER: Yet to be decided.

So, you're gonna participate? Read the SPOILER!!**

Details for Flash Fiction:
Subject:
You are required to write a flash fiction about the topic/theme; Curry Puff
You could twist it around, perhaps make a monster out of it, or perhaps it's an ancient treasure~ Just giving some prompts.
(It's a kind of food that I like. Go learn about it, and you'll know. sweatdrop Write anything that revolves around Curry puffs~)

Requirements:
- Flash Fiction word limit is strictly capped at 240 words.
(No more than that. Fictions exceeding this word limit will be rejected.)
- Do include a title for this flash fiction you wrote!
- At the start of the post, label which category you are entering.
(Format: "Entry for Flash Fiction; Curry Puff/ Entry for Short Story; Spaghetti)
- Story must be executed in good English.
(It doesn't have to be perfect, just less of broken sentence structures)
- Exclude Sex related stuff. (Lusty stuff, out. Keep it Gaia friendly!)

Tips to Win:
- I'm assessing based on the quality of the essay, the development of ideas, Organisation and Language. xp
(Don't get pressured by that. This are just some guidelines~)
- Descriptive words really win me. blaugh
- A good/unique storyline/plot. Something interesting.
- Just let your words flow! I'm sure you'll be able to craft something brilliant!

How to Submit:
Post it in this forum! You could post as many stories as you like!
(As long it's written by you, not taken anywhere from the web. Do not PM your fiction to me.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHORT STORY CATEGORY
PRIZE: 1.2 Million gold gaia_gaiagold gaia_gaiagold gaia_gaiagold (If I really fancy your work, I may give something extra.)
2ND PRIZE: 500k, 3RD PRIZE: 200k

PARTICIPATING PRIZE: 50k gold gaia_gaiagold (For every essay that meets the requirements. Given after the deadline.)

DEADLINE: 1st February 2014 (Read above category)

WINNER: Yet to be decided.

Details for Short Story:
Subject:
You are required to write a Short Story about the topic/theme; Spaghetti
(Write anything that revolves around Spaghetti~)

Requirements:
- The essay must be at least 2000 words.
(Try not to go above 2300 words. It's just over done.)
- Do include a title for this Short Story you wrote!
- At the start of the post, label which category you are entering.
(Format: "Entry for Flash Fiction; Curry Puff/ Entry for Short Story; Spaghetti)
- Story must be executed in good English.
(It doesn't have to be perfect, just less of broken sentence structures)

Tips to Win:
- I'm assessing based on the quality of the essay, the development of ideas, Organisation and Language. xp
(Don't get pressured by that. This are just some guidelines~)
- A good/unique storyline/plot. Something interesting.
- Just let your words flow! I'm sure you'll be able to craft something brilliant!

How to Submit:
(As long it's written by you, not taken anywhere from the web. Do not PM your Story to me.)

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
PARTICIPANTS:

Curry Puff Flash Fiction:
1 ) LoudmouthedTasi
2 ) romanadvoratrelundar_DW
3 ) PrettyPreemie
4 ) shionagi
5 ) X-tailerr-X heart heart heart
6 ) lattespresso
7 ) Misuzaki Shinsei (x2) heart stare
8 ) DruidTigeress
9) naruwookie (Interesting setting, slight twist from the introduction) heart heart
10 ) kuma orion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spaghetti Short Story:
1) CuppaJoel heart heart heart
2) shionagi heart
3) lattespresso heart heart

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
CONTEST HISTORY:
As you click this spoiler, you would see the previous writing contest I have hosted.
You could check out the winning essay here too, so you would be able to see what I fancy maybe. wink

Hi guys, I'm creating a writing contest. And of course, I would like you to participate!
If you would like to participate, but you have yet to write the story, just quote or PM to notify me!

Important Stuff
PRIZE: 1 Million gold gaia_gaiagold gaia_gaiagold gaia_gaiagold (If I really fancy your work, I may give something extra.)

PARTICIPATING PRIZE: 50k gold gaia_gaiagold (For every essay that meets the requirements. Given after the deadline.)

DEADLINE: 27th November 2013, Wednesday.

WINNER OF THIS CONTEST: CuppaJoel gaia_crown

Wining Essay gaia_star
“Why did you throw your tray at the nurse?”

I stare petulantly at my hands, a dark scowl on my face, and pick at the hem of the scraggly blanket. The sorrow is not gone, simply displaced by this childish ire, the inane anger filling me to the gills with itself and choking me in its grip. I can’t breathe around it.

“Noah, why did you throw your tray at the nurse?”

Oh, now she’s getting angry. Good. Let her get angry. Let her scream and yell and shout at me. Maybe then I can throw up some of my own anger. I feel sick, my stomach churning with bile and drugs and unspoken words.

I curl my hands into fists, balling up the irritating bedding. The blanket is too heavy, too hot, too itchy. I want to throw it in an incinerator and forget that I ever walked -- you didn't walk -- through the doors of this hospital.

“I’m trying to help you, for Chrissake, would you at least look at me?”

It’s too easy to hold back a soft smirk. My mind travels back to the blanket and the painful sensation its feather-light touch elicits.

“Please...”

I can almost feel my will breaking under the ministrations of her whimpering plea. It scares me. All I am now is a husk, one withered and eroded by the fury of a man who’s lost his everything. What can I do without it? It’s filled me up, replacing every other feeling and tainting my every thought. What will I become without my righteous anger? My voice comes out as a growl, low and feral, rife with furious undertones, as I snap, “He made the mistake of saying ‘full recovery’ and ‘not likely’ in the same ******** sentence.”

She doesn't chide me for my crass language. Instead, she sits on the bed. That simple change in pressure tugs the sheets, dragging the rough fabric over my sensitive flesh, and sets off a chorus of burning nerves, and before I can stop myself, I fling the blanket off me and glare balefully at her. Her face is red, blotchy from crying, and her mouth hangs open in shock, as if she has realized what she’s just done, if only out of habit. I've hurt her terribly just as she realizes that she’s hurt me. Good.

“Please, Noah, I’m sorry--”

I laugh. It is harsh, loud, abrupt, and horribly bitter.

She stops and stares at me for a few seconds, taken aback, but her silence doesn't last. “Honey, he was just doing his job--”

I have purpose once more; my temper flares at her attempt at placating me. “Shut up!” I roar, “Shut up, shut up, shut up! Get out!”

Rage broils in my veins, swimming through my blood as my heart hammers out a frenetic beat, and my eyes prickle with the beginning of stupid, pathetic tears. I wince as she gets up -- the pain, the pain, the pain -- and force myself to smile triumphantly when I hear the room divider curtains slide apart and the door click shut.

I close my eyes and the smile slides off my face. Where is my purpose? Where is my anger?

The nurse called my ‘disease’ idiopathic, which is doctor speak for “We have no clue, Mrs. Cripple-mum, but we accept most major credit cards.” He treated me like a freaking child! That snide look to his eye as he explained my medications, as if I didn't understand what he was saying.

I ignored him at the time, out of spite, but, really, I ended up spiting myself. I don’t even know what they’re pumping through my IV. I’m sure he said something about my doc refusing to put me on Galba-something, or maybe I misheard and that's precisely what I'm on.

My head falls to rest on my palms. The darkness feels hot and feverish with words whirling in my mind like a sandstorm, each battering against my poor, tired conscience.

It isn't anyone’s fault as much as I wish it to be -- the possibility is there for me to sling (falsely) the culpability this way and that though. I could toss the blame onto my mum, for telling me to suck it up when the first warning signs reared their ugly heads. Or onto myself, for not insisting something was wrong sooner. Or onto the nurse, for being the bearer of bad news. Or I can lay back and accept my fate. Bitterness is a paralytic, didn't you know?

Is that what I will become? Will that bitterness replace me and turn me into a creature twisted and deformed by sorrow and rage, forever stuck in the stream of time, doomed to sit still as the world rushes by?

The nurse’s words, though cut off, ring clear through my skull: I’m sorry, but full recovery, for someone as late in the game as you are, well, it’s not likely that you’ll ever walk --

Ah, yes, my memory has captured that moment in lurid detail. I sent that colorless, beige plastic tray flying towards his head, pitiful little fruit cup and all. The juice and cubed fruit splattered against the wall, the tray clattered to the floor with a bang, and and and -- he just gave me this disappointed look and I wanted to curl into a ball and cry my eyes out. He used the slightest bit of pressure, too gentle than I deserved, to force me to lie back down. And at that kindness, I broke. I cried desperately for my mother, I whimpered, I sobbed.

What had the doctor called this? Subacute idiopathic transverse myelitis, that’s right. Inflammation in the myelin causing fatigue, paralysis, urinary incontinency, and pain. Pain, pain and more pain. It’s all nerve damage, isn't it? So... Why does it hurt?

God, why me? I was my school's anchor on our track team and the star shooter on our soccer team. I was treasurer of my school's student council. I volunteered at my local library. I was polite. I was an engaging student. I’m a good person! Why me? What did I do? What god did I piss off? What gypsy did I run over to be cursed this way?

I’m sorry... For whatever I did, I’m sorry.

They say that anger is just another form of every other emotion, a mutation, you could say. That, at the root of all anger, is hurt, sadness, guilt, or bitterness.

I've been in this room for a week and this hospital for eight days. I was in a larger room before for a day; I shared it with a girl who’d tried to slit her wrists but instead of going down the road she crossed the street. Maybe I can try that and end this?

Tears spill over my eyelids and I close my eyes, trying to trap the shameful display inside me. They push their way out anyways. Soon, I’m sobbing. Again.

Why?

I remember, for weeks before the public spectacle that landed me here, feeling the tight, sharp vines of pain, thorny and incessant, that had wound themselves around my waist and trailed down my thighs and even to my ankles. I remember feeling sluggish, dragging my feet around, stumbling over my own feet as I walked. I remember the pressure in my lower back, and the horrible habit I formed of cracking my back near constantly to try to alleviate that pressure.

I remember complaining and whining like a puerile brat to my mom the day of, saying surely the grocery shopping could wait until another time. I remember feeling like utter crap. I remember her rolling her eyes at me, a vaguely amused smile on her face, telling me that if I want to go home so bad, I should hurry up. I remember deciding there was some logic to her argument. I remember trying to lift my leg up and not being able to. I remember the rush of first irritation, then fear, that ran through me. But then my legs gave way, my knees buckling underneath me. I didn't feel much of anything. I couldn't move my legs. My arms felt like heavy weights, unable to lessen the impact for me, doing little more than speed up my fall. I remember the world tilting forward, a steel display rushing to meet my temple-- and blacking out in the middle of the store. What I didn't learn until later was that I pissed myself, in public. The EMTs were called. My piss-stained, unconscious prone form was loaded on a stretcher, and I've been in this god-awful hospital ever since. You didn't walk through these doors.

I want to go home. I want to go home and sleep in my own bed, with its soft downy comforter, in my room with its familiar light blue wallpaper. I want out of this crippled body. I just want out of this bed for once, to walk, to feel my own legs supporting my own weight. I don’t want to sit up in a bed or in a wheelchair, I want my own legs.

I want my life back.

Subject:
Write a story about an important moment in this character's life.
You'll decide what and when that moment is.
(The character could be based of anything! Whether it's from your imagination or someone that you observed in real life!)

Requirements:
- Story must be at least 800 words in length.
- Story must be executed in good English. (It doesn't have to be perfect, just less of broken sentence structures)

Tips to Win:
- Focus on creating a meaningful moment capturing the essence of your character.
- And of course, a good storyline/plot. Something interesting.

How to Submit:
(As long it's written by you, not taken anywhere from the web.)

PREVIOUS PARTICIPANTS:

1. |V|arru
2. Xalute
3. CuppaJoel
4. Minet de Giomanach
5.Kiyene (Submitted)
6. [x] Bob-IT [x]
7. Yutora
8. Silhouette Mirror
9. [.Impartial.Sanity.]
10. pechaberri

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200

Peaceful Lunatic

Hey there! Seems pretty interesting, and quite generous with the prizes. Although, I really can't participate due to the deadline. It's much too close, especially with NaNoWriMo taking up the attention of a lot of writers for the month of November. If the deadline was change to sometime mid-December, I'd give this another thought.

Also, the writing contest forum is pretty slow. A bump a day would do the trick just fine.

Good luck finding participants!

Demonic Hellraiser

would like to but 800 words is kinda not much for a good story. I hit 20k words in my last big try of making a book. and that was too short for a long working curve of a good story;

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Nezumi Kanji
would like to but 800 words is kinda not much for a good story. I hit 20k words in my last big try of making a book. and that was too short for a long working curve of a good story;

Well, I just want a short story, it's quite much revolving about a certain moment as mentioned.
I don't need to see some long winded novel.
The timeline of the story is best kept short!

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Ysavvryl
Hey there! Seems pretty interesting, and quite generous with the prizes. Although, I really can't participate due to the deadline. It's much too close, especially with NaNoWriMo taking up the attention of a lot of writers for the month of November. If the deadline was change to sometime mid-December, I'd give this another thought.

Also, the writing contest forum is pretty slow. A bump a day would do the trick just fine.

Good luck finding participants!

Ah that's such a shame. :/
For this contest, the deadline shall stay as it is.
But, I'll have an upcoming writing contest right after this too!
Which I'll probably drag the deadline long enough past mid december. ^^

NaNoWriMo? What was hosted? O.o

Ah ok! Thanks for the info!
Is there anyway I could gain people's attention about my contest? .-.

Mewling Kitten

Hurmm thats hard
I dont have my computer for now
Its broken ; v ;
Gl to people who participate

Generous Fatcat

10,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Threadmaster 200
IVIarru
Wow interesting