Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Friend

6,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
In the making...
I think the goal of getting published is good, but if this story is a sample, you have a long way to go.

However, plenty of reading, for example, some of the mainstream authors who write in English, is good advice. If you are aware of how they write, you will know why they are getting published. In the meantime, concentrate on writing for competitions which you can find online. These will give you deadlines you can work to.

After years of writing, I decided to do four university courses, partly to be reminded of the basics and to study the elements of good writing. I learned a lot, mainly to be more patient with my writing, to redraft, often many times, until I was happy with the result. In my opinion, the first draft just gets the ideas down, but it is not always the best version for others to read and enjoy.

I also suggest you read 'The Right To Write' by Julia Cameron. She lets you see how writing can not only just be a hobby, but an everyday action and a way of life.

J

Familiar Friend

6,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Jeromy3
I think the goal of getting published is good, but if this story is a sample, you have a long way to go.

However, plenty of reading, for example, some of the mainstream authors who write in English, is good advice. If you are aware of how they write, you will know why they are getting published. In the meantime, concentrate on writing for competitions which you can find online. These will give you deadlines you can work to.

After years of writing, I decided to do four university courses, partly to be reminded of the basics and to study the elements of good writing. I learned a lot, mainly to be more patient with my writing, to redraft, often many times, until I was happy with the result. In my opinion, the first draft just gets the ideas down, but it is not always the best version for others to read and enjoy.

I also suggest you read 'The Right To Write' by Julia Cameron. She lets you see how writing can not only just be a hobby, but an everyday action and a way of life.

J

Thank you! I'm taking your advice! But not just all of yours, EVERYBODY'S! So just thanks to everyone! I am still in the making with another book, so wish me luck!
Savannah heart
I'm not sure why..... but I agree with Rainbow Lunatic. Your plot has some holes in it but the style of writing is rather good, actually. Just tweak the plot a bit- okay, a LOT since you'll probably have to change the dialogue and what not. What I NEED to tell you though, AVOID the cliches. Especially the-new-girl-turns-popular cliches, the-new-girl-gets-the-popular-guy cliches, the-new-girl-is-actually-a-beauty cliches or the-new-girl-knocks-the-Queen-Bee-off-her-throne cliches. In other words, avoid cliches in general. Really, I hoped that helped you.....somewhat. ^_^'

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff