Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
Two (maybe three) things to fix up with my naming conventions in this story.

My main characters are almost exclusively elves. However, in "my world", people do not have names. Neither places nor people. They have titles. But the narrator of the story - Dolores Carter - is a human from Earth, who has written and translated the story, piecing it together for human readers in English. So she assigns all of the elves arbitrary names (by which I mean the names of various alcohols and liquors), but given the relatively rare use of town names or city names, I can't seem to see the point in naming those as well. Comments, suggestions?

Personally, I thin it'd be easy to name places, as almost all placenames are 'By the tree' or 'full of things'
I suppose. I just need an arbitrary naming theme. Given the relative non-existence of important/visited places, and the nature of my character naming scheme, it's probably going to be illegal substances. Opium is a nice name for a capital city, no? Or Emsel.
Thanks for your opinion.
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

My main characters are almost exclusively elves. However, in "my world", people do not have names. Neither places nor people. They have titles. But the narrator of the story - Dolores Carter - is a human from Earth, who has written and translated the story, piecing it together for human readers in English. So she assigns all of the elves arbitrary names (by which I mean the names of various alcohols and liquors), but given the relatively rare use of town names or city names, I can't seem to see the point in naming those as well. Comments, suggestions?

Personally, I thin it'd be easy to name places, as almost all placenames are 'By the tree' or 'full of things'
I suppose. I just need an arbitrary naming theme. Given the relative non-existence of important/visited places, and the nature of my character naming scheme, it's probably going to be illegal substances. Opium is a nice name for a capital city, no? Or Emsel.
Thanks for your opinion.

Kinda weird. I thought a kid was explaining this. That's a weird kid, naming stuff after alcohol and drugs.

Also, drugs are either named after either street slang or medicinal terms, while alcohol is already named after places.

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

Thanks for your opinion.

Kinda weird. I thought a kid was explaining this. That's a weird kid, naming stuff after alcohol and drugs.

Also, drugs are either named after either street slang or medicinal terms, while alcohol is already named after places.

stare
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

Thanks for your opinion.

stare

Don't stare me. Those are valid points.

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
i don't suppose anyone's got a better name for my evil character's minions other than "Chilla Rillas"
i just can't think of something more suitable to them than that.

Mermidons (ant-people)

thank you, but the fact is is, they're not ants. and they need to be ice themed.

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

Thanks for your opinion.

She's about 30 by the time she's recollecting the events. She was 14 or so when she first went to their world, but she was stuck their for a decade before she found somebody who could take her back to Earth. And yeah, but a lot of the original meanings are (a) in a different language, or (b) lost in time. So I don't really care. I shan't name anywhere 'cocaine', but some of the street names blend in a bit more. Besides, I'll probably only name the capital city - it is the only place they ever really travel to - and maybe the nation as a whole, so it probably won't require too many abstract names.

Also, she associates the world with hedonism in general, so she considers the names appropriate.
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

Thanks for your opinion.

She's about 30 by the time she's recollecting the events. She was 14 or so when she first went to their world, but she was stuck their for a decade before she found somebody who could take her back to Earth. And yeah, but a lot of the original meanings are (a) in a different language, or (b) lost in time. So I don't really care. I shan't name anywhere 'cocaine', but some of the street names blend in a bit more. Besides, I'll probably only name the capital city - it is the only place they ever really travel to - and maybe the nation as a whole, so it probably won't require too many abstract names.

Also, she associates the world with hedonism in general, so she considers the names appropriate.

Personally, I'd associate sex and food and jewelery with hedonism, not alcohol and drugs. I associate those with the opposite, like a ghetto.
morpheus32
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
i don't suppose anyone's got a better name for my evil character's minions other than "Chilla Rillas"

Mermidons (ant-people)

thank you, but the fact is is, they're not ants. and they need to be ice themed.

gelo
Eis
ijsje, ijsco, ijs
glace
ís, klaki, ísing, ísa
jää, jäätelö, jäädyttää, jäähdyttää, jäätää, kuorruttaa, peittää jäällä, sokeroida
ghiaccio, ghiacciolo
led, sladoled, zalediti, zamrznuti, rashladiti, glazura na torti, ohlađivati, ohladiti
jég

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32

Mermidons (ant-people)

gelo
Eis
ijsje, ijsco, ijs
glace
ís, klaki, ísing, ísa
jää, jäätelö, jäädyttää, jäähdyttää, jäätää, kuorruttaa, peittää jäällä, sokeroida
ghiaccio, ghiacciolo
led, sladoled, zalediti, zamrznuti, rashladiti, glazura na torti, ohlađivati, ohladiti
jég

ok, i'm guessing you're mad about something...
SO I'M JUST GONNA GO WITH THIS (in the bold)

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32

Mermidons (ant-people)

gelo
Eis
ijsje, ijsco, ijs
glace
ís, klaki, ísing, ísa
ghiaccio, ghiacciolo
jég

SO I'M JUST GONNA GO WITH THIS
(in the bold)

no wait. i'll take that one, instead

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha
The Phoenix Rises Again
Ophiucha

Thanks for your opinion.

Personally, I'd associate sex and food and jewelery with hedonism, not alcohol and drugs. I associate those with the opposite, like a ghetto.
Sex and drugs are their main thing, and alcohol is pretty abundant too. They can't wear jewelry because I made dragons in my world jewel-obsessed creatures that would kill you for your diamonds, and food... well, I suppose they eat a lot of food, but not to such an extent that it would be notable in a world where people are sexually deviant druggies as the norm.
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32

Mermidons (ant-people)

gelo
Eis
ijsje, ijsco, ijs
glace
ís, klaki, ísing, ísa
ghiaccio, ghiacciolo
jég

No, I had little time, so I threw 'ice' into a translator. I can use another word if you want.

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
The Phoenix Rises Again
morpheus32
morpheus32

gelo
Eis
ijsje, ijsco, ijs
glace
ís, klaki, ísing, ísa
ghiaccio, ghiacciolo
jég

No, I had little time, so I threw 'ice' into a translator. I can use another word if you want.

how bout a made up name instead? i tried Chilla Rillas, and that name is too long.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff