Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you got as much catching up to do as me?

Yes. RWARGH THIS MEANS WAR 0.63333333333333 63.3% [ 19 ]
No, I was sensible and did my daily words :P 0.36666666666667 36.7% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 30 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 874 875 876 > >> >>> »|

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Welcome to the 11th Annual Gaian SuWriMos!

[How does this always come around so fast?! =D This is my favourite time of year, guys. YAY!]

What is this, you ask? This is the Gaian Summer Writing Months, that's what! Since quite a few people are in school or otherwise occupied during November when NaNoWriMo takes place, ten years ago we came up with the idea to host our own during the summer (for the Northern Hemisphere, at least - sorry, Aussies!) when people usually have more time. We've also made it longer: three months instead of one, and much more flexible: you set your own goal.

To sum this whole thing up:

When: June 1st through August 31st (you can do it for just one or two of the months if you're busy). See later post for info about Camp NaNoWriMo's July session.

What: Write something! 10k words, 50k words, 150k words, whatever you want.

Who: Should you choose to accept this mission, you!

Where: Wherever you write best: on your computer, in a notebook, wherever!

Why: So you have a reason to write that story you've been always been meaning to!

So get ready, get set, and get writing!

For those interested, we also running a parallel "Off-Season" thread here in the WF. It won't be active during the SuWriMos, but it's great during the rest of the year so please bookmark this for later!

• Please let me know if you have an idea for something fun, or if you're also running a parallel FUN thread (aka WotD or similar) so I can link you. ^^

REMINDER: Threads asking for plot help, etc. aren't allowed in the Writers forum!
    Please use either the Think Tank and Idea Box sticky or the Story Discussion forum of the SuWriMos Guild for getting help.
  • Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Tycoon 200
    • Somebody Likes You 100
    What does SuWriMos stand for, again?
    Summer Writing Months.

What's the purpose of this thread?
    It's a place where you can talk about what you're going to write and get help on your novel idea. Once SuWriMos is in full swing, come here to get support and help for problems you may run into. We love to chat!

What's this NaNoWriMo thing you mentioned?
    NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days, and (hopefully) turn out a rough draft of a novel (or perhaps the start of one). If you want to check it out, their website is www.nanowrimo.org

Do I have to join the guild to participate?
    Not at all! But why wouldn't you? There is no fee to join the guild, and it's open to the public. If you'd like, make a post in the Goal Declaration thread to let us know you're in and what your goal is.

What am I supposed to do?
    Pick a goal, and write! You've got three months. You can write all three months, just two or even just one. You set your own goal; the minimum is usually 50,000 words unless you're only doing it for one of the months or have a really busy schedule and want to do less. If you reach your goal before the three months are up, by all means aim higher!

What if I don't have a specific word count goal?
    We support non-specific goals too! For instance, if you want to get a story finished but don't know how many words it will take, just make finishing it your goal. If you're working on a big piece, your goal could be getting X number of chapters/scenes written, or reaching a certain point in the story. Editing/revision goals are okay too.

Where do I post my story?
    You don't have to post it on the internet if you don't want. If you do want to share it on Gaia, you can post it in the Original Stories/Prose subforum (or the Fanfiction subforum if it's a fanfic). We've also got a subforum of the SuWriMos guild devoted to just this. Outside of Gaia, there's Fictionpress, Edit Red, or Fanfiction.net; or you can post it on your own website or blog.

So it's sort of a contest...is there a prize?
    Your prize will be the satisfaction of having finished a rough draft of at the end of it all, and bragging rights for having written a novel. What more does a writer need? (If I get some donations, I might reward everybody who also participates in the thread and makes their goal by the end of the summer.)

Are there any rules about what I can and can't write?
    If it's fiction, it's game. That includes fanfics. If you want to write non-fiction too, go ahead, but unless you're writing an autobiography then you'll probably need to do lots of research, and research takes time so it's generally better to go with fiction. Scripts are fine too.

Can I use this to finish a story I've already started?
    You're encouraged to start something brand-new, but you don't have to. Sequels are fair game, as well as completely rewriting a story from scratch. If you do chose to use something you've already started, it's only fair that you don't count the words you've written previously.

Do all the words have to be in one story, or can I write two or three shorter stories and add them up?
    If you want to write a couple shorter pieces and add them up, it's okay.

What if I reach my goal at the end of August, but my story isn't finished?
    Keep writing, of course! It may take you longer, but with such a good head start you're sure to finish eventually.

Do I have to get my word count validated when I'm finished, like with NaNoWriMo?
    Nope. You don't have to turn in your novel to anyone for validation. If you say you've reached your goal, then we'll believe you. Since there are no real prizes, there's not really anything to gain by lying about your word count - you'll only be lying to yourself.

You keep talking about a guild... where is it?
    It's here! It's public so you don't need to join to post, but joining is free :'D

Have other questions? Just ask!

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Tycoon 200
    • Somebody Likes You 100
    Participants

Going to take a gander at this? Get yourself on the list! All you have to do is post in here saying that you're going to participate and give your goal, and I'll put you on the list! If you're going to post your story on Gaia or another website and want to advertise, you can give me a link and I'll add it here.

Note: you don't have to sign up to participate. Having your name on the list might give you a little more motivation, though! [And if you hit your goal, I'll put a emotion_awesome by your name for all the world to see! Just PM me if/when you finish.]

Got any questions? Just ask!

Participant Form: (I'm adding a quote-me function so I don't miss anybody's form!)

[quote="Psychotic Maniacal Sanity"][/quote]
    [b]Gaia Username:[/b]
    [b]SuWriMos Goal:[/b] Please tell us your goal for the whole summer if you're writing all three months.
    [b]Project Title(s):[/b] if applicable
    [b]Camp NaNoWriMo Profile URL:[/b] if applicable
    [b]Camp NaNoWriMo Goal:[/b] If different/smaller/more specific than your summer goal
    [b]Story link:[/b] if applicable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last Updated: 2/07/15

List of Crazy Beautiful People:

#
    username | SuWriMos goal | Camp goal + profile link | story link + title

Alberic of Krufton | finish novel | Camp: 15k | Caenef
    emotion_awesome Ami Satomora | Work on unfinished projects, finish 50 prompts challenge | Camp: Finish Aizora

x-BelleDameSansMerci-x | 5-10K progress on all unfinished stories | Camp: n/a | Hell's Circus, On Stranger Seas, The Aftermath, Fall of Zandurin.
    BlueJayAdler | Finish Echo | Camp: 50k | Echo

Call Me Nefret | 50k | Camp: 50k | The Historical Integrity League for Temporal Interference Preservation, Dragon Seeker, Blue Sky Waiting
    Child_Of_Roses | 35k (Finish Weaver, start Skies) | Camp: 10k | Dream Weaver & Bloody Skies

danishshieldmaiden | 30k | Camp: 10k | Fra Gateston til Esterden
    Defective Ice Cube | 30K | Nocturnal Luminescence

Elizabeth Rhodes | 60k/complete 1st draft | Camp: 30k | Jasper's Legacy

Holy Arithmetic | 100k | Aeon of the Blood Moons

Ju-chansuki | 50k | Camp: 30k | Guardian's Burden

- L u n a A s t r i d - | 15k | Hawthorne

xMaskedShipper | 65k | Camp: 25k | Various Short Stories
    Melody Grey | Finish novel & start first round of editing | Title TBA
    MooMooChii | 100k | In the Flesh

Petit Poupee | 60k | Camp: 10k | Byen (The City)
    Psychotic Maniacal Sanity | 75k | Camp: No goal set yet | Penumbra

Silently Wishful | Begin project 10-15k | Eternal Summer
    StarStruckKitten | Write a whole novel | Untitled

TarnishedLily | 40k | Camp: 40k | Raised by Death (Camp) & Untitled Adventure (SuWriMos)
    therabbithole-xo | 50k minimum | Camp: 10k | The World of Nothing
    TheVillainessWildcard | 25k | Camp: 10k | Heroine
    t o l e k s z i | to terraform mars (I applaud this goal) | Camp: 15k

Whimsicaldreamer | To have fun | Camp: tba | Zombies vs Dinosaurs Maldia Edition

x0StrawberryLemonade0x | 10k | Swords of Obsidian and Black Roses

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Tycoon 200
    • Somebody Likes You 100
    Camp NaNoWriMo (July)

So, curious about this Camp NaNoWriMo you've also seen mentioned? Fear not! For we have answers:

What is Camp NaNoWriMo?
    For those of you who are not familiar with Camp NaNo, it is the younger sibling of NaNoWriMo (mentioned previously). The only real difference is that Camp NaNo takes places a couple of times a year, in varying months, and participants choose their own goal instead of automatically being entered in for a 50k challenge. Those participating are also given the option of signing up for a "cabin", basically a small support group, through the Camp NaNo website.

When does it take place?
    July 1st - July 31st

How much should I set my goal for?
    Whatever you like! 50k is a standard amount, but if you don't think you can commit as much time why not go for 30k? And if you're really busy, why not try 10k! Any writing is good writing, so don't be worried about your goal: just set whatever is most comfortable for you.

Do I have to sign up for the Camp NaNoWriMo website?
    Only if you want to participate officially! We certainly won't make you, but if you're looking for support outside of Gaia it might be worth signing up. SuWriMos is not affiliated with Camp NaNo, but we sure do love it. ^^

So, what has all of this got to do with SuWriMos?
    Since a lot of the SuWriMos folks also participate in Camp, and because Camp is a lot of fun, we decided to combine July's Camp session with this thread! So while it's going on, feel free to chat in here, share your progress, and take part in some of the mini challenges we have going on this summer.

What's that website again?
    www.campnanowrimo.org

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Tycoon 200
    • Somebody Likes You 100
    Events
    [Post stolen from Alberic of Krufton. Thanks! *sneaky*]

Think setting a word count goal isn't enough? Don't worry, here in the thread, we have bonus challenges for the enthusiastic writer.

What the heck is a Word War?
    I'm glad you asked! A Word War is a spontaneous mini-challenge that anyone can do. In a nutshell, it's a race to write as many words as you can in a given amount of time. Anyone can call a word war whenever they want, but it's better to do them when more people are online and in the thread, so you can rope in more participants.

Word Wars typically run between five and twenty minutes, but it's all up to you!

How do you call a word war?
    It's easy! You need to list two criteria; the duration you want to write for, and a starting time. Since people live all over the world and in different time zones, for simplicity's sake we usually only use the minutes and not the hours when naming a starting time.

For example, if you want to have a fifteen-minute war starting at (local time) 12:30, you would post:
    "Anyone want to war at :30 for 15?"
    or "How about a 15 minute war at :30?"

Then it's just a matter of writing your butt off for the allotted time! At the end of the war, people post their final word count. There are no prizes, except for the satisfaction of busting out a few hundred words and getting that story written!

What the heck's a RET? Why are people panicking?

Aaah, the dreaded RET! RET stands for Random Excerpt Time, and it's an opportunity to show off your literary prowess! All you need to do when someone calls a RET is to find a snippet of a story of yours---any story at all, since it's a random prompt---and post away! Spoiler tags are appreciated, so you don't stretch the page too much, and 100-500 words is a good size to shoot for. (We want teasers, not the whole novel!)

When you post a RET, please make it legible! Basic WF etiquette applies, so:
    > plain black text at default size (12)
    > left-aligned, not centered
    > insert an extra space between paragraphs! Gaia is awful about eating formatting.

It's customary for folks to read everyone else's RET and then give a comment or two for each entry. Critique, praise, questions, anything goes! This is a super informal event, so we don't need essays. It's nice to get feedback, isn't it?

What's this I hear about Prompt Wars?
    Prompt Wars are almost the same as word wars, except instead of writing whatever, you have a word, phrase, or idea to incorporate into your scene! They can be as simple as "Your character finds a puppy" or "The weather takes a turn for the worse." The possibilities are endless!

Strip Wars
    (Brainchild of Hrair Rabbit)

Normal wars not exciting enough? Strip Wars may interest you, then!

Rules are:
    You must have on 5 items ONLY.
    The winner of each round does not have to remove their clothing, everyone else does.
    After the 5th prompt, the person with the most clothes wins!
    If needed, a tie-breaker prompt will be made.
    You have 3 min. for each prompt.

Challenges

Word War Challenge
    You know all those word wars that you've participated in? Keep track of them! As satisfying as getting all those wars done can be, knowing that you've done more than the next guy can be icing on the cake!

[Anybody fancy making me a new spreadsheet? whee ]

Who knows, by the end of the month, the top few Word WARriors could get prizes.

Anon Challenges
    "What's this? There's an anonymous present in my inbox!"

Anon has struck again! Who is Anon? Honestly, nobody knows, but they're the resident issuer-of-challenges and giver-of-gifts, appearing mysteriously and disappearing just as soon. If Anon chooses you for a challenge, you'll get a gift, and a condition that must be met before opening it. These can be things like:
    >Participate in five word wars
    >Write 1,000 words
    >Call three prompt wars, and get at least two people to participate

One never knows when Anon may strike, but if they do, don't panic! But please, Anon only does this out of the goodness of their shadowy heart, so don't post in the thread begging for handouts! Anon Gifts Bribes are a privilege, not a right, and it's bad taste to pester folks for rewards. After all, writing is its own reward!

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Tycoon 200
    • Somebody Likes You 100
    Saved post!

High-functioning Noob

User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

FRIST

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity

Gaia Username: t o l e k s z i
    SuWriMos Goal: to succesfully terraform mars
    Project Title(s): Untitled Dolls Project
    Camp NaNoWriMo Profile URL: whoa this is moving a little fast we only just met
    Camp NaNoWriMo Goal: thirty m'kayyy?
    Story link: Untitled Dolls Project

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

AurinJade's Wife

Revered Nerd

Gaia Username: Whimsicaldreamer
    SuWriMos Goal: To have fun.
    Project Title(s): Zombies vs Dinosaurs Maldia Edition
    Camp NaNoWriMo Profile URL:: Unknown Applicability
    Camp NaNoWriMo Goal: TBD
    Story link: Not Applicable

Professional Garbage

Five is an acceptable number.

AurinJade's Wife

UHHH ... GIF.

AurinJade's Wife

gaiz i need plot help.

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

Even though I'm taking some me time it wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least inform my intention to do SuWriMos

Gaia Username: Ami Satomora
    SuWriMos Goal: Work on unfinished projects, finish my 50 prompts challenge
    Project Title(s): N/A
    Camp NaNoWriMo Profile URL: mirroralchemist
    Camp NaNoWriMo Goal: Finish Aizora
    Story link: N/A

*goes back into her self-imposed exile

User Image

Nuclear Werewolf

Gaia Username: Alberic of Krufton