Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lea Fealith
I don't mind at all. As you said, cheerleading helps.

Awesome. I shall forever more terrorize all who post here! xd With the most helpful and encouraging response possible of course.

Peaceful Lunatic

Update: Geography is fully done! Link to thread, which is still in the Test Forums. I'm not sure how to link to specific posts, so hopefully that's not needed... or someone can tell me how, please?

Next up, Culture. I got slowed down because I have three fanfic projects running: one wraps up tomorrow, I've promised a Christmas episode for one, and the third might get three updates next week. Heh, but I'm still gonna try to get most of Culture covered before 2012...

How's the rest of you doing?

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ysavvryl
Update: Geography is fully done! Link to thread, which is still in the Test Forums. I'm not sure how to link to specific posts, so hopefully that's not needed... or someone can tell me how, please?

Next up, Culture. I got slowed down because I have three fanfic projects running: one wraps up tomorrow, I've promised a Christmas episode for one, and the third might get three updates next week. Heh, but I'm still gonna try to get most of Culture covered before 2012...

How's the rest of you doing?

You have a lot on your plate. Your geography section is awesome. Some very good ideas there. Have you considered the effect that a relatively stationary sun would have on the climate of your world? At the moment your climate map is similar to a world with sun exposure similar to our own (more in the center, less at the poles). If the sun doesn't behave as it does on Earth, the climate map may look different. Maybe something like this.
User Image

I don't know if that's legible. Paint+netbook = fail.

Though if I'm reading your entry right the dragons move around and the sun moves as a result, right? So the climate might be as volatile as the weather.

I'm still working through your entry, but the tally should be updated shortly.

To link to a specific post, you can click on the little orange paper thing near the date posted and it will give you the direct url to that post, but you don't need to do that. Just a link to the general challenge is fine.

Also, in case you weren't aware, you don't have to complete a major category before posting for credit. You just need a subcategory (like Shifts and Changes). Of course if you want to complete an entire category, you're more than welcome to. You're off to an impressive start.
I finally decided that I've been going about this all wrong.

Instead of trying to follow the questions and answer them in some form of order without any context, I'm going to start over. And I'm going to do it in the form of a traveler's journal.

I've got the perfect book for it, too, after discovering B&Ns genuine Italian leather journals and buying myself one for Christmas.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
radioactive alchemist
I finally decided that I've been going about this all wrong.

Instead of trying to follow the questions and answer them in some form of order without any context, I'm going to start over. And I'm going to do it in the form of a traveler's journal.

I've got the perfect book for it, too, after discovering B&Ns genuine Italian leather journals and buying myself one for Christmas.

I've tried doing something similar, but I haven't gotten very far. Probably because I'm lazy more than anything. sweatdrop Are you going to answer the prompts in a journal like format? That could definitely keep things interesting. Or are you breaking off and working freeform?

Peaceful Lunatic

Lea Fealith

You have a lot on your plate. Your geography section is awesome. Some very good ideas there. Have you considered the effect that a relatively stationary sun would have on the climate of your world? At the moment your climate map is similar to a world with sun exposure similar to our own (more in the center, less at the poles). If the sun doesn't behave as it does on Earth, the climate map may look different. Maybe something like this.
User Image

I don't know if that's legible. Paint+netbook = fail.

Though if I'm reading your entry right the dragons move around and the sun moves as a result, right? So the climate might be as volatile as the weather.

I'm still working through your entry, but the tally should be updated shortly.

To link to a specific post, you can click on the little orange paper thing near the date posted and it will give you the direct url to that post, but you don't need to do that. Just a link to the general challenge is fine.

Also, in case you weren't aware, you don't have to complete a major category before posting for credit. You just need a subcategory (like Shifts and Changes). Of course if you want to complete an entire category, you're more than welcome to. You're off to an impressive start.

Figuring out how the climate works exactly for Radia is a brain-teaser. Your map is probably more accurate for the sun's effects. Then I have to consider the sunbeams being able to produce sunlight, and presumably heat, plus the fact that magic can be used for weather manipulation (takes lots of skill, but it can happen directly or indirectly). And since the dragons do move around, the climate is all out of whack. I see it as the sun does shift around, but the Solar Grand's power keeps it over the one continent.

Alien magic-influenced climates, ack... thought that is partly why I write fantasy instead of sci-fi (can only do soft sci-fi and get away with it).

It may look like a lot to do, but I'm a crazy-fast writer.

@radioactive alchemist: Oh yeah, writing in a nice journal like that should be inspiring. Have fun!
Freeform, baby. cool

Maybe I'll go back and pull the answers from the journal and put them in the proper order/format when I'm done... if I'm not too lazy after writing all that.
I've decided I want to join the contest. It'd be nice to be surrounded by people who make their own fantasy worlds. Guess I'll get to working on those prompts. In the meantime if anyone wants. You can check out a few chapters from my fantasy world here.

It's going to be one huge pain in the a** to write down 11 years worth of world building!! xd

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
radioactive alchemist
Freeform, baby. cool

Maybe I'll go back and pull the answers from the journal and put them in the proper order/format when I'm done... if I'm not too lazy after writing all that.

Oooh, a rebel.

Gantz, welcome aboard the S.S. Crazy.

Questionable Streaker

Could I create my Fantasyland entry on a Tumblr blog instead?

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
LoperDoper
Could I create my Fantasyland entry on a Tumblr blog instead?

You can try. If you want credit I need to be able to navigate it easily enough to know what is complete and what isn't. If you just want to take the challenge sans reward, you can do whatever you like!

Questionable Streaker

Lea Fealith
You can try. If you want credit I need to be able to navigate it easily enough to know what is complete and what isn't. If you just want to take the challenge sans reward, you can do whatever you like!
Okay, thanks.
I just find Tumblr easier to design etc.
Hello all! I've been a writer for years, and only have a small handful of complete short stories, and then over 200 beginnings to stories that never went anywhere. I'm very interested in writing a long, detailed story, and the ideas are all there, but I've realized the main reason none of my ideas ever go anywhere - I lack world-building capabilities. Seriously lacking in that department.

For instance, I start a story in a town in some random world in my head, but then I add in cars or phones or couches, and I start thinking, "Would this town actually have couches? How do couches even exist in the real world? Did someone invent them? Would that same person need to be in this fictional world in order for it to have couches?"

And then I over think it so much that I get frustrated and give up. >.>

These prompts are a great way to flesh out a world so that I might not get so tangled up in the little details that I give up on the bigger picture. I'mma give it a try. The worst that can happen is that I find another way that writing does not work for me. One of these days I just know I'll find a way that works!

Questionable Streaker

Name: LoperDoper
World Name: Enissckan
Thread Link: Click Here

If you find you cannot navigate it at all, tell me and I'll recreate it as a gaia thread. Although if you click on "Navigation" you shouldn't have any problems.

And if you're on IE, the text for one post may appear over my map of the world. Clicking on "Compatibility View" (to the left of the refresh button at the top of your page) should resolve this, or even just refreshing.
Name: Piggg
World Name: The Rock
Thread Link: Here

Just getting started. Also, I'm pretty sure I made a mistake somewhere in my progress number, but anyhow, here it is. Maps to come later. I'm planning on hand drawing and scanning them. Or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff