Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey everyone!

Does anybody know a place online I can go to look up Japanese words? My Jap/Eng dictionary kinda got trashed by my kid bro...... so I need a site to use until I earn enough for a replacement.

That said, anybody at least know how to say Angel in Japanese?
Kira_Koneko

According to my dictionary: tenshi, enzeru. However, I don't trust my dictionary, nor have I found an online Japanese/English dictionary that is trustworthy.
Kira_Koneko

"Tenshi".

I use a Japanese/English online translator, which are scattered all over the Net (and look more or less alike, anyway).

A word of warning, from the Fandom Geezer in me: please, please be absolutely sure that you have to use Japanese in an English story before using it. And if someone with no knowledge of Japanese cannot understand it without resorting to the author's glossary, then you should take it out.
Ziginina
HERE

^_^

razz

The forums are a much more accurate and effective means than google. Many people <i>really</i> dislike paging through list after list of useless things.

As for angel, the common word for it is Tenshi.
Siouxie
Kira_Koneko

According to my dictionary: tenshi, enzeru. However, I don't trust my dictionary, nor have I found an online Japanese/English dictionary that is trustworthy.

Enzeru is the Japanese way of saying "Angel"--I mean it's their way of saying the actual word. The word that means "angel" is Tenshi.
So don't use Enzeru.
XanyKaos
Siouxie
Kira_Koneko

Enzeru is the Japanese way of saying "Angel"--I mean it's their way of saying the actual word. The word that means "angel" is Tenshi.
So don't use Enzeru.

Yes, "Enzeru" isn't actualy Japanese, it's "Engrish"
Yuzure
Kira_Koneko

"Tenshi".

I use a Japanese/English online translator, which are scattered all over the Net (and look more or less alike, anyway).

A word of warning, from the Fandom Geezer in me: please, please be absolutely sure that you have to use Japanese in an English story before using it. And if someone with no knowledge of Japanese cannot understand it without resorting to the author's glossary, then you should take it out.

Amen to that!

I concur, tenshi is the word I see most often used by fanfic writers to mean angel.
Go to www.trussel.com

and click on the Japanese section. It's the best transalator for me^^

It gives you the kanji and katakana versions too!
Jim Breen's Japanese/English Dictionary

I use this one for when I'm translating. It's probably a bit more complete than you'd want, though. Mr. Breen's a linguist and a nice guy.
Thank you all very much! *hugs everyone* heart

Dont worry, I dont just use random Japanese in my stories. I usually use it for character names or weapon names, using a word with a meaning that fits the character/weapon somehow.

Thanks again! biggrin 3nodding blaugh heart
http://kanjidict.stc.cx/dict Kanji, romaji, translations. I second the warning not to use Japanese if you don't need to. That does include naming things in Japanese for no reason, IMHO. xd Why do they have a Japanese name? Why not something English (or whatever language it is you're writing in).

If you want to play with Japanese words, tenshi is an excellent place to start, though. While Ten is a pretty straightforward word, the kanji used for shi offers lots of rooms for exploration as to what kind of creature a "tenshi" could be - and of course, a lot of other kanjis can be used for "shi" - such as the one for four, and the one for death. wink
I use Japanese names for a few reasons:

* I love Japanese stuff sweatdrop

* I love to draw, and most of my stories are actually Manga's. I hope to be able to move to Japan and do some really good Mangas and maybe even a few Animes. It probably won't happen..... but hey, a girl can dream right? xp

* I like my characters to have a name that means something to them. Such as I have a character in one story/Manga who can use the power of Water. I named her Ame, which is Japanese for Rain. Now granted, Rain itself could be a pretty name, but other names, like Ame's BF who has Wind power is called Kaze ( Breeze ), wouldnt sound right in English. Can you imagine a guy with the name Breeze? whee

Ok, enough ranting for now..... g2g, sayonara peeps! blaugh
Kira_Koneko
* I like my characters to have a name that means something to them. Such as I have a character in one story/Manga who can use the power of Water. I named her Ame, which is Japanese for Rain. Now granted, Rain itself could be a pretty name, but other names, like Ame's BF who has Wind power is called Kaze ( Breeze ), wouldnt sound right in English. Can you imagine a guy with the name Breeze? whee

Well, when I name characters, I enjoy messing with the names until they mean something, either an essential statement of the character or some sort of secret statement about how the character will end up. This is mostly RP characters.

I think what people are trying to say can be illustrated with your example. Ame sounds like a natural enough name, as it's close to Amy. But, even with the interesting symbolism, does "Kaze" sound like a natural name? Breeze doesn't, no, but Kaze doesn't sound like a name to me either. It mostly depends on the setting, I'd suppose.

I will not tell you how to name your characters or write your manga. Just keep in mind that excessive use of Japanese in a piece, especially in inappropriate places, can automatically give a less than stellar impression. Much like wearing flame clothing here may. 3nodding
Mangas isn't capitalised, and no apostrophe goes at the end of it - it's just "mangas". Same for animes. ^_^,

I have no problems whatsoever with a guy called Breeze or Wind. One of my leads is called Raspberry, and I love her to bits and pieces. I tried to rename her, but it didn't work. Himbeere or Raspberry it will be, if I ever finish that story. It's not odd once you start to think of the word and start to think of the character. Look at Dragonlance - I devoured it as a teenager, and I never thought that Goldmoon, Sturm (German for, uh, storm!), Flint and so on were too strange.

Japanese is different because Japanese names have obvious meanings (well, if you know the kanji): they are composed of kanji, all meaning something. But even so, it doesn't work just to slap a Japanese name on a different setting for no reason. But if you're going to give someone a Japanese-sounding name that has a meaning, why not give them a name that their parents might actually give them?

There are many more considerations you should follow when naming. Here just a few: In the character's culture, is the meaning or the sound of a name more relevant? Does the culture choose unique names, or are there a number of names that people vary on? What does their language sound like, and does the name stick out? Why? If they have a Japanese name, why? Do their parents know Japanese? How is it written - romaji, kanji, hiragana?

The list goes on.

Of course, if you're only writing for fun and for yourself, go ahead and name your characters what you want. wink But if you want to strive on to a higher level, you'll want to take that kind of thing into consideration.

Of course, it can all work out, but I still think you should be careful.

A long time ago, I had a Renée in a Japan-based story. She had a proper Japanese middle name (Ayumi in hiragana, if I recall correctly), and her first name was only French because her parents met in France and originally meant to live there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff