Just don't get me started on kanji tattoos, and everything fine. wink

She blinks

Whats wrong with Kanji tattoos? sweatdrop
Rael Islington
Yes, "Enzeru" isn't actualy Japanese, it's "Engrish"

Hmm no it's not

Tenshi means Angel on a whole

Enzeru is like for Cherub

At least that's how my Japanese teacher in Highschool told me.

It's like Dragon has two words. Ryu is just a large lizard

Tatsu is high dragon, like a god.
Maline
Tenshi is the correct way to say angel. It is one of the few they have picked up correctly. Unlike koi. Which sets me into fits of laughter every time I read it. xd

You mean Koi doesn't mean fish? Damn... I was using it wrong.

Lover is koibitto or was it koibito.. I don't have my dictonary close.

But my husband's nickname from me is koi (as in fish) because I'm his buggy).

Or shough that be he's my koi because I'm the buggy that caught him. I can never remember exactly what it was, but Yeah, I call him fish.

It gets some cute looks in the Japanese areas near where we live. I'll have to explain it to them and they all laugh about it thinking I had shortened Koibito.
Kira_Koneko
maskedquerade
Kira_Koneko
Wow..... I never knew this topic would start a debate..... eek

But yes, you all make very good points. Thank you for the advice. smile

Just don't get me started on kanji tattoos, and everything fine. wink

She blinks

Whats wrong with Kanji tattoos? sweatdrop

Mostly it has to do with people getting them because they're cool, and the stupid things they choose to have tattoed. Though the stupidity happens with normal tattoos (getting the name of your boyfriend tattoed on you, for instance), it seems strangely amplified when it's a language when no one can read. And then there's the fact they tend to look worse than normal tattoos because the person who does it has no idea how the kanji is really supposed to look.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, nothing really special. I always secret hope that the tattoo artist will switch it out to something ridiculous, which is an occasional happening when a person goes to another country (usually one where they actually speak the language the person wishes to be tattooed with). The reason it's a pet peeve is because when I was starting to learn Japanese, whenever I told someone, they always asked about kanji so they could have it tattooed on them.

Eloquent Dabbler

It's not necroing a topic if it's still on the first page, is it? sweatdrop Nonetheless, back to the original topic...

The point that taking into consideration the actual cultures in which your character exists is very important. If all of your characters have Japanese names, but none of them are Japanese, that would be very weird.

However, from the sounds of it, you aren't using Japanese names so much as you are using Japanese words... you would be better off searching for Japanese name lists on the web, and you could probably find some nice links for that in one of the stickies (can't remember the name at the moment. sweatdrop ). If you absolutely had to create original, craaaazy names, then get yourself a kanji dictionary that includes the characters that have special readings for use in names.

Of course, if you plan on moving to Japan to persue your mangaka dream, you are going to need to learn Japanese. I think it's safe to assume that you are already studying, since you have a dictionary; keep with it. The manga business is very difficult to break into, and believe it or not, foreigners face great prejudice in the business world in Japan. So you know now, it is not going to be an easy dream to accomplish.

One alternative you may or may not want to consider is persuing this dream in your own/another English speaking country. In the U.S. at least, manga is quickly growing in popularity. And who knows? If you can prove your mettle elsewhere, perhaps that will give you leverage to break into Japan's own manga industry.

Okay, that's enough from me for now. I need to get some sleep... sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces