Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maline
Mangas isn't capitalised, and no apostrophe goes at the end of it - it's just "mangas". Same for animes. ^_^,

*twitch*
Actually, it's "manga" or "anime" for the singular or the plural. No "s." Adding an "s" to make a word plural is mostly exclusive to the romantic languages, though German uses it on occassion. Japanese never does that. Ever.
Well i have a guru that translates words for me in japanese so if you nee any words please send me an IM at DynVampire that is if you have AIM if not send me a message
I would whole-heartedly agree with you (what with Japanese not really being all that keen on the entire singular-plural thing in nouns), and I do in daily conversation say "manga" or "anime"; however, I feel that the words' meaning has transformed in English language.

Much like "Computer" is a German word now (with its own plural, which is, uh, "Computer" wink , I feel that anime and manga are becoming part of English vocabulary. That's why I would stick with giving them a standard plural until any official authority decides otherwise. Most people don't use the correct plural for words like pizza, and I don't feel that manga or anime deserve any more respect just because their acquisition is recent.
XanyKaos
*twitch*
Actually, it's "manga" or "anime" for the singular or the plural. No "s." Adding an "s" to make a word plural is mostly exclusive to the romantic languages, though German uses it on occassion. Japanese never does that. Ever.

Then again, "manga" and "anime" have been incorporated into the English language, if only in the fannish mind. I find that it doesn't really matter either way, at least until the dictionaries make up their metaphorical minds.

Japanese do sometimes add the "s" (or "zu" wink sound, but mostly in Engrish form. (Anyone remember Azumanga Daioh's "Bonkuraazu" gag? Yeah.) But I nitpick: as a mostly context-based language, actual Japanese words are incapable of having an "s" to signify a plural anyway.
GaryStu
Then again, "manga" and "anime" have been incorporated into the English language, if only in the fannish mind. I find that it doesn't really matter either way, at least until the dictionaries make up their metaphorical minds.

Japanese do sometimes add the "s" (or "zu" wink sound, but mostly in Engrish form. (Anyone remember Azumanga Daioh's "Bonkuraazu" gag? Yeah.) But I nitpick: as a mostly context-based language, actual Japanese words are incapable of having an "s" to signify a plural anyway.

As a student of the language I would say that the fact that the language has no singular s or its equivalent in hiragana is what constrains it from adding s as a plural. sweatdrop

But yes, arguing plurals for loan words is... interesting, and ultimate pointless as most people involved are already convinced they are right. Octopuses, octopi, octopodes? I prefer to use manga and anime as both singular and plural, myself.
My bad. I'm not saying nobody else can use anime or manga as a plural. They could use some convulted construction, and I couldn't care less. biggrin I don't think my way is right or wrong - I just know that the apostrophe is wrong no matter what, and that's what I was nitpicking about.

Everyone is free to do with the words as they please until an official rule is found, after all. whee
maskedquerade
GaryStu

As a student of the language I would say that the fact that the language has no singular s or its equivalent in hiragana is what constrains it from adding s as a plural. sweatdrop

But yes, arguing plurals for loan words is... interesting, and ultimate pointless as most people involved are already convinced they are right. Octopuses, octopi, octopodes? I prefer to use manga and anime as both singular and plural, myself.

Yeah, guess it is pointless. Me, I'd pluralize everything without an "s" if I could, because I like the sound of it (Octopi all the way, baby!) I dunno, manga/anime...it sounds ..."smarter" or something. Maybe I'm just so used to it being without an "s" that it'll always sound wrong to me.
Quote:
I concur, tenshi is the word I see most often used by fanfic writers to mean angel.

Which means it's probably wrong. Fanfiction writers are the worst with using horrid, incorrect, fangirl Japanese.
Tenshi is the correct way to say angel. It is one of the few they have picked up correctly. Unlike koi. Which sets me into fits of laughter every time I read it. xd
Koi, that is funny.
You can check out www.japanguide.com if you want something to supplement your writing from Japanese culture. (It might not be enough to know the language?) Also, there should be some links to translators on it.
There are a lot of good books that you can buy or check out from your public library, as well. Just check amazon for a list.
Wow..... I never knew this topic would start a debate..... eek

But yes, you all make very good points. Thank you for the advice. smile
"<()>" blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh blaugh scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream

CodaSymphony's Husband

Fashionable Apprentice

20,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Shopkeep's Apprentice 500
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Kira_Koneko
Hey everyone!

Does anybody know a place online I can go to look up Japanese words? My Jap/Eng dictionary kinda got trashed by my kid bro...... so I need a site to use until I earn enough for a replacement.

That said, anybody at least know how to say Angel in Japanese?

Free Online Dictionaries
Kira_Koneko
Wow..... I never knew this topic would start a debate..... eek

But yes, you all make very good points. Thank you for the advice. smile

Just don't get me started on kanji tattoos, and everything fine. wink
XanyKaos
Yeah, guess it is pointless. Me, I'd pluralize everything without an "s" if I could, because I like the sound of it (Octopi all the way, baby!) I dunno, manga/anime...it sounds ..."smarter" or something. Maybe I'm just so used to it being without an "s" that it'll always sound wrong to me.

That last is probably it. Since I studied Latin, anything ending in -us, -um, or -a sounds wrong pluralized in its English form. I just tell myself it's English, not Latin, and I stop myself from going nuts. wink

It's probably that you're used to it. I can't stand people saying "kimonos" for some reason.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff