Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Sex Symbol

9,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
How much, how often, and how soon before a work out should I take it to promote optimal mass gain?
LightningxXxStorm
How much, how often, and how soon before a work out should I take it to promote optimal mass gain?

load up for 4-5 days by taking 5g 3-4 times a day with meals to equal 15-20g a day. so you can do breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed (4 times). So do that for 4-5 days to fill your muscles and then continue every day from then by taking 5g post workout. eat right and drink plenty of water
Yeah you definitely want to load up the first few days, from there you can just supplement 5-10g a day depending on your body. (As far as I know)
And I've actually heard you want to take it after your workout, as your muscles will be receiving more nutrients after they are broken down in order to repair them.
Yeahhh I take creatine after working out. Be sure to drink plenty of water.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Okay before you listen to anyone take a look at the facts.

There is no evidence suggesting that "loading" does anything for you.

Creatine is an organic molecule produced in the body that helps to shuttle energy to your muscle cells. Your body produces about a gram of it a day, plus another gram from the foods you eat. Any extra (from supplements, etc.) will take an effect but eventually be removed from the body as waste.

Your muscle received nutrients from the food that you eat, not your creatine.

Supplemented creatine takes about an hour to be fully absorbed into your muscle cells, but it is excreted as creatinine about 90 minutes after absorption. Therefore, you can infer these facts:

Creatine will provide you with more power during your workout

In order for the creatine to take effect during your workout, take your supplement an hour before you go (usually 5g is recommended - there is no evidence suggesting loading or taking more than that will provide any additional benefit)

Taking creatine on non-workout days is quite useless, considering it is excreted as waste about 90 minutes after absorption

Taking creatine after your workout defeats the purpose

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Monster Pup

Creatine is an organic molecule produced in the body that helps to shuttle energy to your muscle cells. Your body produces about a gram of it a day, plus another gram from the foods you eat. Any extra (from supplements, etc.) will take an effect but eventually be removed from the body as waste.

Supplemented creatine takes about an hour to be fully absorbed into your muscle cells, but it is excreted as creatinine about 90 minutes after absorption. Therefore, you can infer these facts:

In order for the creatine to take effect during your workout, take your supplement an hour before you go (usually 5g is recommended - there is no evidence suggesting loading or taking more than that will provide any additional benefit)

Taking creatine on non-workout days is quite useless, considering it is excreted as waste about 90 minutes after absorption

This. Except I definitely take it on off days, and I definitely don't think it's useless if you take it after a workout. I've heard the best way to do it is to take it an hour before hand but I've also heard people take it before bed, first thing in the morning, and immediately after their workouts for good results. I've also heard that it depends on your body weight. Being around 200lb I take a little more than 5g a day.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
NSK0
LightningxXxStorm

load up for 4-5 days by taking 5g 3-4 times a day with meals to equal 15-20g a day. so you can do breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed (4 times). So do that for 4-5 days to fill your muscles and then continue every day from then by taking 5g post workout. eat right and drink plenty of water

dont do that. just eat food and then take about 5 grams a day if u want to.maybe 10. it all depends on ur weight tho. honestly, just take 5 to 10 grams so after work out and some other time. u get creatine naturally from food. im not really sure whether every type of creatine does the same thing but just look it up. theres like 7 types i think.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
Jmart0193
Yeah you definitely want to load up the first few days, from there you can just supplement 5-10g a day depending on your body. (As far as I know)
And I've actually heard you want to take it after your workout, as your muscles will be receiving more nutrients after they are broken down in order to repair them.

it doesnt give u nutrients lol. it replenishes atp and gives u quick bursts of energy. its kinda temporary. i think its good for working out cuz u get more creatine phosphate which gives u more energy. i think all the other creatines do the same thing
biceptron
NSK0
LightningxXxStorm

dont do that. just eat food and then take about 5 grams a day if u want to.maybe 10. it all depends on ur weight tho. honestly, just take 5 to 10 grams so after work out and some other time. u get creatine naturally from food. im not really sure whether every type of creatine does the same thing but just look it up. theres like 7 types i think.

Monster Pup

It is not necessary to load but it can help you see results faster. To get the full benefit of creatine you must saturate your muscle cells with it. 5g a day will take up to thirty days depending on the persons lean body mass. Using a loading dosage of 15-20g per day for about 3 days can quickly saturate the muscle cells in this time and then a maintenance dosage (5g) for the rest of the time taking creatine. This is what i found mostly on my research of creatine a year ago so it might be outdated information but it is still useful. And a reason to take after a workout...had this quote on a txt file forgot the site sorry.

Quote:
Taking creatine post workout is the most beneficial time for several reasons. Insulin helps drive more creatine into muscle cells, if you are a smart bodybuilder then in your post workout meal you should be eating foods that help spike your insulin, if this is the case, then taking creatine with this meal will help it's uptake into muscle cells. The body absorbs many nutrients better after a workout. Creatine will help refuel your body's low creatine phosphate stores.
Will Taking Creatine Before a Workout Give Me More Energy?
No, not exactly. Once again for creatine to work your muscle cells must be saturated with it. This takes at least a week to do, so doing it once before a workout will not make a difference. Now if your cells are already saturated with creatine then it will still not make a difference if you take it before you workout. Your body must process it first and that takes time. The creatine your body will use in the upcoming workout will come from the creatine phosphate stores already in the cells, not from the creatine you just ingested.

The method that i posted is a pretty common one which is why i posted it. Im not saying it is the best way but it really is effective. To be honest, in my opinion, I believe it really depends on the person. Ive tried loading and not loading and i would get faster results by loading. my friend is the complete opposite meaning loading didnt do anything for him and was just a waste of creatine. Find the best method for you.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
NSK0
biceptron
NSK0
LightningxXxStorm

Monster Pup

It is not necessary to load but it can help you see results faster. To get the full benefit of creatine you must saturate your muscle cells with it. 5g a day will take up to thirty days depending on the persons lean body mass. Using a loading dosage of 15-20g per day for about 3 days can quickly saturate the muscle cells in this time and then a maintenance dosage (5g) for the rest of the time taking creatine. This is what i found mostly on my research of creatine a year ago so it might be outdated information but it is still useful. And a reason to take after a workout...had this quote on a txt file forgot the site sorry.

Quote:
Taking creatine post workout is the most beneficial time for several reasons. Insulin helps drive more creatine into muscle cells, if you are a smart bodybuilder then in your post workout meal you should be eating foods that help spike your insulin, if this is the case, then taking creatine with this meal will help it's uptake into muscle cells. The body absorbs many nutrients better after a workout. Creatine will help refuel your body's low creatine phosphate stores.
Will Taking Creatine Before a Workout Give Me More Energy?
No, not exactly. Once again for creatine to work your muscle cells must be saturated with it. This takes at least a week to do, so doing it once before a workout will not make a difference. Now if your cells are already saturated with creatine then it will still not make a difference if you take it before you workout. Your body must process it first and that takes time. The creatine your body will use in the upcoming workout will come from the creatine phosphate stores already in the cells, not from the creatine you just ingested.

The method that i posted is a pretty common one which is why i posted it. Im not saying it is the best way but it really is effective. To be honest, in my opinion, I believe it really depends on the person. Ive tried loading and not loading and i would get faster results by loading. my friend is the complete opposite meaning loading didnt do anything for him and was just a waste of creatine. Find the best method for you.

oh well if u researched then ur most likely right. i research too but only like once a month and i usually forget what i research lol. mostly broscience here
biceptron
Jmart0193

it doesnt give u nutrients lol. it replenishes atp and gives u quick bursts of energy. its kinda temporary. i think its good for working out cuz u get more creatine phosphate which gives u more energy. i think all the other creatines do the same thing

I realize that creatine is not a "nutrient" per se, but it's still carried to the muscles by the blood. Guess what! More blood is going through your muscles after a workout to bring nutrients to the muscles for repair.... More blood to the muscles means more creatine brought to them as well for recharging and having the glucose stores in order to perform stronger the next time you use them.
Don't take Creatine bro. If you get higher quality sorts, it is worth it, but it's very expensive. Otherwise, once you stop using Creatine, your muscles will turn to water weight.

Shirtless Smoker

4,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Don't take Creatine bro. If you get higher quality sorts, it is worth it, but it's very expensive. Otherwise, once you stop using Creatine, your muscles will turn to water weight.
lol its not expensive
Captn Pikachu
Flamboyant Cannibal
lol its not expensive

If you want good stuff, it's more expensive. But I guess you're right. It doesn't cost that much.

Hilarious Genius

5,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
I'm surprised how many people out there use creatine. I've always just tended to stick to protein after workouts... does creatine really help you build (ie repair) muscle? People have always told me to be wary of it, but tbh I know so little about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff