Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I want to start doing more strength training as opposed to cardio. But the few times I've gone to a gym, it never seemed all that welcoming to try one of the machines. So, my question is, how do I start doing strength training while at home? And how do I know I'm doing them correctly, and I'm not about to pull out my back or some other muscle group?

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Don't use machines, use free weights. Do some research online, look up the exercises and watch yourself do with in a mirror/record yourself to make sure you are doing them correctly.

Btw, the answer to everything isn't starting strength. It's a great program for beginners but the more you learn the more you will see that it is rather oversimplified and may always be the optimal program to do.
I'm at the same point.
I can do a bunch of cardio, and my legs are uber strong, but the rest of me? Fergetaboutit!
I tried to do some curls with 15lb dumbbells and had to stop 3 minutes in.

Benevolent Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
My advice would be to build up your upper body with exercises like pushups, situps/crunches, pullups (if you can do them), or other similar exercises. You don't NEED weights.

Quotable Hunter

2,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
If you're just starting, don't use any weight at all until you are comfortable with your own body weight.
E.g, 20 real pushups, 8 pullups, 10 squats, 20 crunches. All 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down.
Its a good starting point for anyone just starting out.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
xoSphinx
I want to start doing more strength training as opposed to cardio. But the few times I've gone to a gym, it never seemed all that welcoming to try one of the machines. So, my question is, how do I start doing strength training while at home? And how do I know I'm doing them correctly, and I'm not about to pull out my back or some other muscle group?

remember to check your form when lifting. its really really important. dont be like me and get a really bad lower back cuz of bad form

Friendly Citizen

Body weight exercises like others have mentioned {Pushups, situps, dips, squats, crunches, pullups}
I've recently found doing pushups a lot easier now after working on it for a week. I used to be rather weak in the arms. But this morning, after 2 days of my body being completely sore from doing pushups and dips, I did a few pushups with no problem. My elbows and arms didn't feel a thing like it was the most easiest thing ever. Honestly was surprised and had to pause and question if I someone slipped me superman powers in my water last night xD.

So moral of that is basically- even if your body gets sore, don't be discouraged. It's your body's way of sayingyouinjuredyourself,lol healing and repairing the muscle tissues in order to become stronger.

Come to think of it..I probably did injure myself a tad but it must not be that bad since my body's not sore and achy anymore.
A lot of women like the book "New rules of lifting for women: Lift like a man, look like a goddess". It's a good starter book. You could work on your bodyweight exercises at home if you want but I would suggest just jumping in at the gym. You can't learn anything if you don't try. Most gyms have staff that will answer any questions or would be happy to help you with something.

Another good source is to check out some of the plans on bodybuilding.com. I've known a lot of women who loved Jamie Eason's livefit program. It gives videos showing how to do the exercises on the website too. So just watch some videos, make a plan, and try out the free weights in the gym.

Or hire a trainer for a few sessions to learn the basics.

Desirable Regular

6,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Destroyer Of Cherries
I'm at the same point.
I can do a bunch of cardio, and my legs are uber strong, but the rest of me? Fergetaboutit!
I tried to do some curls with 15lb dumbbells and had to stop 3 minutes in.

lol Its almost like you have a reverse prison body.

Ghostly Loiterer

I agree with everyone so far, but don't forget your core muscles!!! Do planks, side planks, bird dogs with increasing difficulty, and McGill sit ups. When you do eventually go to a gym, do a lot of standing cable machine work for your core. These kind of excerises are done either isometrically or with minor thoracic rotation.

This dude, for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBsKxP2Qstw

NOTE HOW LITTLE HE TWISTS HIS SPINE!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out