Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi, I just started crocheting last week and I bought 100% Acrylic, worsted weight yarn.

And the yarn... This yarn is frustrating sometimes, as the strands split and got hooked when I pull it... Dang it makes the whole process much longer as I had to undo the stitches -__-

Is this because I bought a cheap quality yarn?

And what is 'squeaky'? English is not my first language so I'm not sure how yarn can 'squeak'.

I don't know why but all the things I crochet ended up curling. Even when the stitches weren't tense at all -_-

Should I buy a better yarn? A lot of people seem to dislike acrylic yarn, why? Should I buy wool or cotton?

Thanks in advance ^^

Rainbow Werewolf

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with the quality of the yarn. I've bought cotton and soft acrylic and I find that most do kind of unravel. In fact I think cotton does a little bit worse in some respects, but I still like using it more at times. But I've stuck to the cheaper side myself, with $5 for a small roll probably being the most expensive yarn I've had.

As to squeaking I haven't a clue. o.o

Do you mean the corners curl or if you start a chain and stitch a row or two and it curls? Ether way this is pretty common, in fact I would wonder what you are doing if your first few rows in a chain don't curl.

As to disliking acrylic is could be a number of things. They would rather have more natural fibers, cotton feels better, ect.

I would say, if you are willing to invest, go ahead and buy another type of yarn just find find out if you do like it better. Peaches and Cream I believe one brand is called, is made from cotton. They come in small rolls for a little less then $2 at walmart.
Whoa, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the stitches curl when I start the first foundation chain or when I only got 1 row in. Thank god it's natural, I thought it's wrong...

Example: (big image)
Click

How do you make all the petal chains go upward? Mine were bending and curling in so many directions, so messy >.<

Rainbow Werewolf

I got to thinking, after I replies, that you may be able to wet your project and lay it out to dry and it would help with the curling. Don't quote me on that one but it may be worth a shot. Also be careful as yarn tends to stretch, wool especially.

But! I did notice something today wile I was working on bows, Sugar'n Cream (the cotton yarn I mentioned), didn't curl up on me.

As to your flower I've never made one but I would guess that it has something to do with the pattern. Those type of projects, the really simple, common ones, tend to have different patterns and something about one may look better.

If the pattern is online you can link it to me and I can see if I have any more luck with it.

Tipsy Smoker

To get the edges of a finished product to keep from curling up like that, what you have to do is soak the finished project in hot water, then lay it flat to dry.
Using a steam iron can work too, if you don't get it too. hot. c:

Cotton and wool are great to work with, but I love Red Heart yarn, personally, haha. c:
Acrylic is great, but what I like to call 'yarn snobs' prefer wool and cotton.

I think it's just because it's more expensive, honestly. o:

Cotton is better for summer/spring things, wool is better for warmer things, and acrylic is literally good for pretty much everything.
It's not washer/dryer safe, really though, and it doesn't have the elasticity of cotton.

O.G. Gaian

Decafff
Cotton and wool are great to work with, but I love Red Heart yarn, personally, haha. c:

I think it's just because it's more expensive, honestly. o: .

It's purpose. What is the yarn going to be used for? *shrug* I use Red Heart almost exclusively for amigurumi, but for other purposes it might not be very good. For one thing, the weight of the yarn varies by color. No, really -- compare hunter green to gold. It's about twice as thick. If I'm doing something with tapestry (using several colors at once, one in the actual stitch with the others strung along at the base), the different strands need to be the same weight, so more than likely I'd use some other brand, whether it's acrylic or not. And if I'm making something like slippers or socks? Cotton or wool. Srsly. You do NOT want to know what slippers made of acrylic yarn smell like after being worn a few times.

Tipsy Smoker

faolan
Decafff

I think it's just because it's more expensive, honestly. o: .

It's purpose. What is the yarn going to be used for? *shrug* I use Red Heart almost exclusively for amigurumi, but for other purposes it might not be very good. For one thing, the weight of the yarn varies by color. No, really -- compare hunter green to gold. It's about twice as thick. If I'm doing something with tapestry (using several colors at once, one in the actual stitch with the others strung along at the base), the different strands need to be the same weight, so more than likely I'd use some other brand, whether it's acrylic or not. And if I'm making something like slippers or socks? Cotton or wool. Srsly. You do NOT want to know what slippers made of acrylic yarn smell like after being worn a few times.

I've totally noticed that. D;
I knit and not crochet, lol, just for starters. D;
I do most things in solid colors or stripes, so the weight difference doesn't usually bother me at all. o: I also only buy the regular red-heart for commissions from people who aren't gonna pay me that much. I like profit. lol
There's like a 'red heart LOVE~~~' brand or something, where everything is actually soft and generally all the same weight.

But I have a bunch of socks and slippers made out of acrylic. lol They don't smell at all.

O.G. Gaian

Decafff
I've totally noticed that. D;
I knit and not crochet, lol, just for starters. D;

I admit, I got knitting needles and learned how to use them a few years back... then got impatient, put them away, and only get them out again occasionally when I'm feeling masochistic. It's a quick cure. xd

Decafff
I do most things in solid colors or stripes, so the weight difference doesn't usually bother me at all. o:

True, that would minimize the difference... I'm probably more picky about it than I need to be, but it might just drive me a little nuts that there's such a large weight variance with yarn that's labeled "worsted weight." Seems like it should all be pretty close, but noooooo.... xd Doesn't help that what would be labeled DK or aran in Europe gets lumped into worsted here, too, or so I gather from folks even pickier than me on crafting sites.

Decafff
I also only buy the regular red-heart for commissions from people who aren't gonna pay me that much. I like profit. lol

Ah, I see we have common ground!

Decafff
There's like a 'red heart LOVE~~~' brand or something, where everything is actually soft and generally all the same weight.

Is that the super soft? The one that looks kind of like Simply Soft brand? I had a couple dark brown skeins of that, loved it... but my Joann's doesn't even normally stock that kind. Maybe I should start demanding it of them. xd

Decafff
But I have a bunch of socks and slippers made out of acrylic. lol They don't smell at all.

Ah, well, my mother's feet do have their own odor to start with. It's true for shoes, too -- some people can use acrylic just fine, but with others, they either have to have real cotton socks and leather shoes, or invest in various Dr. Scholl's products. And that's an observation from three years working at a shoe store -- making a return for a customer can get ugly, let me tell you. xp I will say that acrylic slippers wear better than cotton, though, but I haven't made any wool ones for comparison.

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150
I am addicted to Caron Simply Soft. It's my favorite yarn! I also knit a LOT with the really thin crochet cotton thread, since I make a lot of delicate lace stuff.

Peaches and Creme and Sugar and Cream are both great brands for worsted-weight cotton. They are pretty inexpensive and come in wonderful colors.

As for fiber content, I'm not picky...I'm a broke grad student, so I take what I can get! blaugh I do vastly prefer soft yarns (like Simply Soft! mrgreen ), but I'm not too choosy about whether it's natural fiber or acrylic. I have gotten some alpaca yarn before, though, and it's lovely. But...yeah. I make all kinds of things (except sweaters, since I'm hot-natured and live in the DEEP South), so I use all kinds of different yarn. As previous posters have said, what kind of yarn you should use depends on what you want to make with it, what you need the yarn to be like as far as texture and ease of care go, and what you can afford. The sky is the limit! 3nodding
Wow thanks a lot for the answers! heart

Decafff
To get the edges of a finished product to keep from curling up like that, what you have to do is soak the finished project in hot water, then lay it flat to dry.

Cotton is better for summer/spring things, wool is better for warmer things, and acrylic is literally good for pretty much everything.
It's not washer/dryer safe, really though, and it doesn't have the elasticity of cotton.

You seem to have lots of experience c:

I'll definitely try that! Thanks!

As for the yarn recommendations, I live in Korea so I can only use Korean brands *bangs head to the wall* I'm going to try using different sizes of yarn as well, I want to try making laces, scarves, blanket, doggie clothes xD

Another important question:

I really love this newfound 'hobby' of mine and I'm wondering if I could really make this a job. How do you guys make money selling your crafts? How much profit do you get for an item?

Say you're making a scarf, how do you decide the final price? The price of yarn + time spent + profit = ?? How much do you earn? Is it better than flipping burgers?

Tell me your formula please 3nodding

Tipsy Smoker

Helaine MS
Wow thanks a lot for the answers! heart

Decafff

You seem to have lots of experience c:

I'll definitely try that! Thanks!

As for the yarn recommendations, I live in Korea so I can only use Korean brands *bangs head to the wall* I'm going to try using different sizes of yarn as well, I want to try making laces, scarves, blanket, doggie clothes xD

Another important question:

I really love this newfound 'hobby' of mine and I'm wondering if I could really make this a job. How do you guys make money selling your crafts? How much profit do you get for an item?

Say you're making a scarf, how do you decide the final price? The price of yarn + time spent + profit = ?? How much do you earn? Is it better than flipping burgers?

Tell me your formula please 3nodding

I just have everything set at a base price. Like, I sell scarves for $5, hats for $8, gloves for $10, and so on.
If that doesn't help at all cos of money differences, I'm super sorry, lol
So I make like $2 offf scarves, $5 off hats, $7 off gloves. Haha. Cos I only sell the cheap yarn. lol And if people buy me yarn, then I definitely don't object. I subtract that off the price. c:

I definitely wouldn't say you could do it full-time, lol. If you want to survive, you're going to need another job, unfortunately. I've only had one person buy something from me. :c

Rainbow Werewolf

I haven't quite got around to selling yet but I do know that you could probably get some good information from http://moonyen.deviantart.com/ seeing as she makes a living off of her bunnies.

If you have a DA...if not I'm sure there would be something helpful in her journals.
Decafff

I just have everything set at a base price. Like, I sell scarves for $5, hats for $8, gloves for $10, and so on.
If that doesn't help at all cos of money differences, I'm super sorry, lol
So I make like $2 offf scarves, $5 off hats, $7 off gloves. Haha. Cos I only sell the cheap yarn. lol And if people buy me yarn, then I definitely don't object. I subtract that off the price. c:

I definitely wouldn't say you could do it full-time, lol. If you want to survive, you're going to need another job, unfortunately. I've only had one person buy something from me. :c

Why are you taking such a low profit;;; How long does it take to do a scarf/hat/glove?

Glowstick Overdose
I haven't quite got around to selling yet but I do know that you could probably get some good information from http://moonyen.deviantart.com/ seeing as she makes a living off of her bunnies.

If you have a DA...if not I'm sure there would be something helpful in her journals.

Thanks a lot! I didn't know you could make a living from selling something so tiny xD

I just realized that this 'hobby' is extremely expensive. After counting I need $15 just for the yarn to make a scarf. Or $8 if I use really cheap (and bad) yarn.

Damn it's expensive.... And the profit is miniscule neutral

Rainbow Werewolf

It is all about the way you combine it. The yarn type, what you are making, the time, and don't forget how you get your yarn.

Tipsy Smoker

It takes me like two to four hours to make everything lol.
I'm a very speedy knitter, and I just feel like that's how much the things would cost in the store lolol. Plus I charge two bucks for every extra color. C:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff