Total Votes:[ 635 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 167 168 169 > >> >>> »|

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
@Drake: Well who doesn't? mrgreen

@Brasten: I also like letting the party chip in XP for making magic items.

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
The only problem with that concept are professions is that a lot of professions have nothing to do with making anything.

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sounds a lot like the real world, huh? mrgreen

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
Just a bit.

Here's the debate currently in the boards at Paizo. Profession

I made a post like 10 minutes ago.

Aged Informer

I edited my last post with this thought. Why not just merge Craft and Profession?

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
Doesn't actually require any merging. Craft already does statisically what Profession does, aka income checks. So it would just come down to scrapping Profession all together.

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Well, you could always have Profession (prostitute), right? That's something that has nothing to do with crafting and you can make good gold at it. razz

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
That's just a variety of perform skills, with a bit of Deception mixed in, and of course being trained in ride.

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Ooh, I know when I've been told. lol
I think its more of a preform + profession + deception . yeah its a skill all in its own. LOL

Aged Informer

Craft does not currently generate income directly in 3.5. It only allows for the creation of a specific item for 1/3 price. Following stand D&D selling conventions such an item would then have to be sold at 1/2 value. Folding Profession and Craft together combine both the crafting rules and the income generation rules.

Call the new skill Trade. Trade also adopts Appraise rules for that specific Trade.

So stands the point. There are two options. Remove Profession or revise it. Profession needs more as a skill if it is to be separate from Craft. Making it a feat is not a good solution as that sub-system for customization is already quite full of more competitive options.

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
Its a option, whether it is taken or not *shrugs* I am sure there will be numerous arguements to maintain it, but I honestly can't see anything of worth to revise the Profession skill.

At least Profession as a feat has more game worthiness than it does as a skill. Whether it is competitive in comparison of other feats or not. Depending on any revisements on the skill, I'll most likely simply removing it from my game. Probably give it as a bonus feat to any class that had Profession as a class skill. Or something like that.
I liked the idea of Profession becoming a feat that adds to your class skills (or gives a bonus if it is a class skill already). If you really think about it most professions can be broken down into a few skills that are used together to to a desired end. With the way Profession works in 3.5 a master lumberjack (with say 8 ranks in Profession: Lumberjack) would be hard pressed to identify a tree or find one that isn't too knotty without spending the same points in Knowledge: Nature. 2x the cost in skill points to be able to do something that has very little game impact.

I'm thinking that everyone getting a Profession feat or Craft skill for free at first level would be a good idea. Bob the Fighter wasn't always Bob the Fighter. He might have been Bob the Farmers son, or Bob the Fishmongers son, or Bob the barkeeps son. Did he learn nothing in his years growing up around people who had a job?

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm thinking Profession for free could be good actually....that's rather surprising the only class that doesn't get Profession is the Barbarian. I'm surprised the druid has it.

*goes to check up on the convos on Paizo*

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
DrakeEvancore
I'm thinking Profession for free could be good actually....that's rather surprising the only class that doesn't get Profession is the Barbarian. I'm surprised the druid has it.

*goes to check up on the convos on Paizo*

Actually, I like that, as long as you go threw and replace anywhere with profession in a prestige class prereq. I also play with power gamers, and those sorts of provisos need to be taken into account right away...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff