Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
SumBumSam
Sight Ninja
1. Using a competitors resources to advertise your own is shady. This is what tektek was doing.
If I used your name and made a website "SumBumSam.com" and said "HEY SIGHT.NINJA IS THE COOLEST PERSON" would you be irritated with me? I assume yes. This is what tektek was doing, for the last year.

2. It wasn't years that this was going on, it was 10 months.

User Image

1. Yeah using TekTek to advertise was shady, but then I think of all the shady s**t Gaia has done
over the years. As for your example... I really could care less, oh look a site named after me!
hmmm he's plugging his personal site... I couldn't care any less. Free advertising as far as I'm
concerned, so what if he plugs him self.

2. I know... I'm aware of this, I just don't care... being treated like an ATM machine and being
bombarded with announcements daily. When Tekon ran the service for free and made helped
make Gaia what it is, but of course he had ten months... could he pull them down now? Of
course... would it change what Gaia did? no it wouldn't... the damage is done, vendors have
suffered, avid Dream Avatar Makers can't make gold the best way they know how.

User Image

Okay, well your perspective is different from mine. If my name was being used to advertise something in a way I didn't agree with, I would be very clear about it.

Also, Gaia sent a cease and desist letter, not to make tekton completely shut down his services, but to say "hey, we're not cool with you doing this". The letter is dated from late february, and the staff alert has said they have not heard from tekton, meaning he had knowledge of this for two weeks and hasn't tried to figure something out. The more I look into this situation, the more I agree with gaia and their decision. It sucks for the users, but it's not Gaia's fault. It's tekton's for (frankly) handling this immaturely.

Shy Shapeshifter

...has someone already mentioned black butler too?...Sorry...too tired to read everything now....will tomorrow though....

Wintry Dragon

DarkSnowDance
...has someone already mentioned black butler too?...Sorry...too tired to read everything now....will tomorrow though....
Would have been wise to have read it since Black Butler, rather FUNimation sponsored Gaia to make those items and the site has full permission to make and sell the items.

Shameless Shapeshifter

Sight Ninja
Okay, well your perspective is different from mine. If my name was being used to advertise something in a way I didn't agree with, I would be very clear about it.

Also, Gaia sent a cease and desist letter, not to make tekton completely shut down his services, but to say "hey, we're not cool with you doing this". The letter is dated from late february, and the staff alert has said they have not heard from tekton, meaning he had knowledge of this for two weeks and hasn't tried to figure something out. The more I look into this situation, the more I agree with gaia and their decision. It sucks for the users, but it's not Gaia's fault. It's tekton's for (frankly) handling this immaturely.

User Image

Both are at fault... considering nothing was in place to handle the backlash, but I can't see him
being totally wrong... I feel after ten years of loyal plugging and being a tool for all Gaian's to use.
He's earned plugging his own site in my eyes, he's also got something good on his hands...
reminds me of when I joined up.

User Image

Shy Shapeshifter

A mali
DarkSnowDance
Would have been wise to have read it since Black Butler, rather FUNimation sponsored Gaia to make those items and the site has full permission to make and sell the items.
ok ty...but still saving the reading for tomorrow....

Sparkly Waffles

I think that Gaia was justified businesswise. But they still have the responsibility to provide the services of tektek, because those services are a part of Gaia's experience, believe it or not. If you don't do avatar talk, or you don't go on asking for dream avatars, or you don't play word games that use drema avatar it doesn't apply for you, but it does apply for the rather large amount of us who do. There is still dream avatar up but it is likely it will be taken down soon.

Skilled Smoker

11,225 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
Barnbrat
emoloveshika

Well take a look at this. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/keep-up-the-good-work-gaia-seriously/t.96164763/

What are you trying to tell me with this?
Has nothing to do with the subject at hand which is copyright and financials

People like that are why there are so many copyright infringement items on here. They request more items in the store and making gaias greed larger. I know this place for years now but its getting out of hand... im sorry for placing my last post as a reply. Hard to do things on my phone at the moment.... sweatdrop

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
Gaia and TekTek had a perfectly amiable relationship for 11 years, fer godsake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not like the Gaia administration didn't know AND approve, the whole time!

So how come ALL OFF A SUDDEN, they step back, gasp with surprise and shock, get all offended and aggrieved, and send a C&D letter???

And if as some people seem to be saying in this thread, it was for an advertising issue that is more recent, then guess what? There is a device that people frequently use for problem solving. It's called A TELEPHONE. You pick it up and have A CONVERSATION. (Human-to-human, I mean.) There is no need to go all high-powered lawyer on a person with whom Gaia has had very friendly relations for a very long time.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Playful Lunatic

11,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Tycoon 200
emoloveshika
Barnbrat
emoloveshika

Well take a look at this. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/keep-up-the-good-work-gaia-seriously/t.96164763/

What are you trying to tell me with this?
Has nothing to do with the subject at hand which is copyright and financials

People like that are why there are so many copyright infringement items on here. They request more items in the store and making gaias greed larger. I know this place for years now but its getting out of hand... im sorry for placing my last post as a reply. Hard to do things on my phone at the moment.... sweatdrop

Oh..np. As far as the "more items" requests, I'm actually surprised how few people are upset about recolors and how many actually have items they want recolored...I think it's nice that they can do recolors but at a certain point you have to wonder: Can't the artists create anything new, in the desired colored scheme? Isn't that the job of an artist? To create? At a certain point your basically buying the same item over and over again...And Gaia used to do a pretty good job rolling out new items, but with the focus in money they have a need for quantity over quality....

Steviegoesrawr's Husbando

Man-Hungry Lover

11,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Pretty much any cash shop item, or CI/RI, has mostly been based on copywriter material.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
The way I see it, is that someone told goldymort he had competition and now goldy decides to stir the s**t pot. Making TWO different reasons, one we know is not in a letter, and still... seriously? DID gaia first send in 'look we know you made your own site, stop it' things? Cause it sure as hell looks like a NO. Until there is proof that gaia asked for the adds to recolor be taken down, I'm going to believe they did this because there was competition and they didn't like that.
Great Lakes haze
Gaia and TekTek had a perfectly amiable relationship for 11 years, fer godsake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not like the Gaia administration didn't know AND approve, the whole time!

So how come ALL OFF A SUDDEN, they step back, gasp with surprise and shock, get all offended and aggrieved, and send a C&D letter???

And if as some people seem to be saying in this thread, it was for an advertising issue that is more recent, then guess what? There is a device that people frequently use for problem solving. It's called A TELEPHONE. You pick it up and have A CONVERSATION. (Human-to-human, I mean.) There is no need to go all high-powered lawyer on a person with whom Gaia has had very friendly relations for a very long time.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

I agree, even if what Tekton did was shady, I think its a stretch to completely believe Gaia, either after their track record. They say they tried asking him nicely to take the ads down, but have trouble buying that, when they've had a historically zero tolerance policy on people advertising other sites. What I mean is, if they'd been negotiating for longer, don't you think they would have stopped advertising tektek/banned linked tektek avis until an agreement was reached? They've suspended user IPs over similar, but lesser offenses in the past, so why weren't they as rigorous to cover their bases for the potential year R.Me had been advertised? That's what feels fishy to me.

Also, the C&D had nothing to do with Tekton using tektek to advertise R.Me but states "copyright infringement" as the primary basis for the site's removal in the letter. So they're not even staying consistent with their reasons for taking it down. Another red flag. And it doesn't help that they steal from other people's work to make money either (Even ignoring the so-called "parody" items from anime/manga/videogames/TV shows/etc., how many GC mods were likely copied from clothing websites? We know Gaia looks at them, considering they've had deals with brands like Macy's in the past).

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
I think the copyright infringement Gaia has been committing is a completely separate issue from the one with Tektek. Tektek has simply been using Gaia's images like a fansite would and Gaia is basically creating bootleg items, lol. I think it's a great time to address this copyright infringement issue though.

I understand that it's perfectly legal to have inspired items. But Gaia has been crossing the line the past few months. For example, I think it's ok for the variations of Sailor Moon's hairstyle to exist. It's a cute hairstyle and variations of it don't necessarily scream Sailor Moon. But when it appears that the artists are tracing over images to make up the poses in an item and/or not bothering to change major details, it's pretty clear that something is wrong. Like how the hell is that Rabbitan item (and its recolors) allowed to exist?

User Image
User Image

Compared to this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's says a lot when there are so many users who can't distinguish between official sponsor items and unofficial ones, LOL.

Fashionable Gekko

8,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tycoon 200
I am unsure if anyone has said this yet, but Kingdom Hearts?

Shibuya Nobody
Keytarblade

Or What about slender man?

Is Gaia going to demand that Wikipedia takes down their gaia page?
If Gaia had a problem with Tektek from the start, they should have stopped it when it first started. What prompted this sudden copyright issue.
Besides, TekTek never claimed ANY of the gaia material as their own, and always credited it back to gaia.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff