Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unidentified Destroyer

12,200 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Chad: Victory! 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
I love pokmeon, but the pokemon items are just flat out copying. You're stealing the ears and selling them as items. That's not a parody.

Zookeepers Jacket- Based on an episode, and uses a quote from the show as a description.

Bone dragon helm- cubone from pokemon

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Diosu

D3monicWolv3s

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Those items are protected under Fair Use and as "derivative work" under copyright law United States Copyright Act in 17 U.S.C. § 101.

Quote:

From the United States Copyright Act in 17 U.S.C. § 101:

A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

from wikipedia:

"For copyright protection to attach to a later, allegedly derivative work, it must display some originality of its own. It cannot be a rote, uncreative variation on the earlier, underlying work. The latter work must contain sufficient new expression, over and above that embodied in the earlier work for the latter work to satisfy copyright law’s requirement of originality."

Because they make tribute items that are creative and vastly different from the things they are parodying, they're not going to get into trouble.

The only thing I see which is too close is maybe the ninja headbands, but I'm not an intellectual property lawyer so I couldn't say for 100%.

The rest of it falls under the derivative work protections.

Otherwise every parody ever would get sued.

It's also why those homestuck dicks had no grounds for any kind of legal anything.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Magical Cat

23,200 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Oh wait
my quote messed up

Cyrxe's King

quick_star_blossom
Oh wait
my quote messed up

Blame it on the Toyota Corolla. 3nodding

Golden Phantom

11,775 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The issue really has more to do with recolor.me than it does regarding the Gaia item use on their site. Gaia's post regarding the matter even stated that it had to do with Tektek launching a competitor site. Tektek is just posting what they want to to try and create this controversy.

Unidentified Destroyer

12,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Calelith

The dragon bone helm, to me is a flat out copy of cubones mask. It doesn't seem to look at all different to me.

As for the eevee items, I don't think its all that original or shows creativity. They crafted the ears onto humans avatars. They blatantly stole part of their designs, and just put it on a hood.

But your probably right, I doubt gaia would create something that close on purpose and get in trouble for it.

Bloodthirsty Attacker

Don't forget about all of the Alice in Wonderland items

Unidentified Destroyer

12,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Phoenix Sorcerer
The issue really has more to do with recolor.me than it does regarding the Gaia item use on their site. Gaia's post regarding the matter even stated that it had to do with Tektek launching a competitor site. Tektek is just posting what they want to to try and create this controversy.

Have you seen the notice they sent him? Like in no way does it sound like its about his other site at all.

SPOOKY MANNER

Pretty sure Alice in wonderland is in public domain, and anyone can use it.

Golden Phantom

11,775 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
D3monicWolv3s
Phoenix Sorcerer

Have you seen the notice they sent him? Like in no way does it sound like its about his other site at all.

SPOOKY MANNER

Pretty sure Alice in wonderland is in public domain, and anyone can use it.

I saw it. I also saw they sent him multiple notices. My guess is they sent him more than those 2 and he is just posting those to try and make everyone attack gaia

Bloodthirsty Attacker

D3monicWolv3s

How about all of the MTV items?

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250

gaia_angelleft yum_strawberry

Gaia has already said they were okay with Tektek's existence using their intellectual property when it wasn't also being used to advertise a competitor.

Unlike Gaia's numerous knock-offs, Tektek is literally using Gaia's property. It's different than making something that very closely resembles something else. Gaia cares about this now only because Tektek is benefiting from Gaian traffic received due to services involving Gaia's property, and diverting that traffic to a competitor that Tekton himself created.

(I love Tektek and have been using it for years so don't think I find this situation at all positive)

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
SPOOKY MANNER
D3monicWolv3s

How about all of the MTV items?

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Those were part of a sponsorship.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Bloodthirsty Attacker

Calelith

Ah.

Unstoppable Lover

Licornia
Cafe Delight
like how the people say how gaia stole this from that -w- when they wearing the items that support it

Let's be honest though, there's so many items that are based on things you could be wearing them even if you try to avoid such item.s

could just wear the basics *shrugs* not that anyone wants to do that -w- i mean whos gonna pass up the chance to be a pikachu *sarcasm*
well maybe this will weed out the apples and get some people leaving -w- leaving the ones who just dont give a fudge and would like to stay a little something before this really get exciting..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff