Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Well, i'd say it's pretty much just an open discussion from here on.

What if everyone was fed up with Gaiaonline focusing more or less only on items,
on items which can only be purchased through Gaia Cash,
that is; only purchasable through real world money.

So, what it all the users just suddenly stopped spending their money on GC,
and just enjoyed the community as something else than an expensive dress-up of your avatar,

What do you think would happen to Gaiaonline if this turned into reality?

------------------------------
My own guess is that they'd close the site, since they wouldn't get money from anything but advertisement any more,
and they obviously already do have a load of advertisement going on at the site,
so there's not much they could do through that ability to raise more funds,

Second guess is that it would become a pay-to-play site,

or Thirdly; a whole bunch of people would be fired at Gaiaonline HQ, and the site would be left with either a small team of moderators trying to manage what's left of it, or it'd be left with a small team of those management-people who'd try to think of alternative ways to make people spend more money on the site.

Undead Enchantress

Door # 3 from Torse's scenario: Gaia gets sold to another company and they will keep milking the carcass or maybe, just maybe, restructure it and make it into a gosh-darn great site. New capital. New insights. New blood.
If everyone/enough people stopped
yeah it'd shut down no doubt
I don't think the man in charge would feel enough of a connection to even try to keep it afloat in that situation

But if enough people stopped for gaia to take notice
I think they'd start to reexpand their horizons
...which might already be happening for better and worse

There are way more sales than last year (and way more recolors)
So I think they've at least taken a decline into account (so maybe more spender benefits are in the future)
But things like these proposed tweaks to the mobile app suggest that they may be thinking about user/customer numbers again

It's still ignoring the community completely
but if the campaign failed I think they'd start questioning why so many people are leaving as soon as they come
Too many people are addicted to gambling and opening boxes, so this will never happen

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Anti-Ling
If everyone/enough people stopped
yeah it'd shut down no doubt
I don't think the man in charge would feel enough of a connection to even try to keep it afloat in that situation

-It's been feeling as of late that the "man in charge" is just trying to make the site die so he can move on to the next place and milk them dry of their money...

Anti-Ling
There are way more sales than last year (and way more recolors)
So I think they've at least taken a decline into account (so maybe more spender benefits are in the future)

-I bet my arse that there's more recolors than new items, simply since they can't come up with "enough" new items and just recolor/edit what they got already.

Anti-Ling
It's still ignoring the community completely
but if the campaign failed I think they'd start questioning why so many people are leaving as soon as they come

-I'm pretty sure they know already why people would leave as soon as they'd come, or leave soon after they'd come...

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I think Gaia would go bankrupt and close down.

Wheezing Plague

If the site turned "pay-to-play" they'd lose a lot of people. It's one thing to buy GC cause you want items, another to buy GC cause you're not able to access the site otherwise.

Gaia might sell it to someone else or improve other things but.. who knows.

Professional Novice

User Image
That's really a difficult thing to postulate since it's based on something that isn't likely to happen. Something drastic would have to happen for people to suddenly stop spending GC, and whatever that drastic thing was would probably influence whatever happens next. So not knowing why people stopped spending prevents us from accurately predicting what would become of the site.

Unstoppable Krampus

Shutting down the site would be the absolute last resort. First they'd probably just increase gold generators and MC re-releases and other things that the community hates but has shown to bring in more money. Canning all non-essential employees, and firing some essential ones to replace them with someone with less experience that will work for cheap, is also way more likely than an all-out shutdown. If that wasn't enough they'd probably not go strictly pay-to-play, but might offer something like an "elite players" option where you pay $10/25/50 a month and get extra bonus items worth more than the cost, like two RIG bundles for the first option or something.

User Image

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Twisted Lady
Shutting down the site would be the absolute last resort. First they'd probably just increase gold generators and MC re-releases and other things that the community hates but has shown to bring in more money. Canning all non-essential employees, and firing some essential ones to replace them with someone with less experience that will work for cheap, is also way more likely than an all-out shutdown. If that wasn't enough they'd probably not go strictly pay-to-play, but might offer something like an "elite players" option where you pay $10/25/50 a month and get extra bonus items worth more than the cost, like two RIG bundles for the first option or something.

User Image

@ emboldened: they already had done that. They cant really lay off any more. Don't remember if the second CEO (FB guy) had done that, but the other two did.

Invisible Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sort of unrelated question... What the hell happened here? Seriously. I've been gone since April and I come back and a set of underwear is 50k? It used to be 500g. Tipping is uped to 10k? So what instead of TRYING gaia just decided "******** inflation"? And like EVERYTHING is about gaia cash. So everybody is cool with this? I don't understand. What have I missed in 8 months?

Lonely Fashionista

18,750 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Timid 100
o00 Lala-Wa 00o
Sort of unrelated question... What the hell happened here? Seriously. I've been gone since April and I come back and a set of underwear is 50k? It used to be 500g. Tipping is uped to 10k? So what instead of TRYING gaia just decided "******** inflation"? And like EVERYTHING is about gaia cash. So everybody is cool with this? I don't understand. What have I missed in 8 months?

User Image

An extensive answer to at least one of your questions smile Then again you might already know about most of it since you've only been gone since April.

SlythOfAsgard's Senpai

Toxic Widow

17,575 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Clambake 200
Konani_NTH

I don't understand... Why do you still play if you are so unhappy with everything that Gaia does? I've noticed from my friends' feed that you have been posting a lot of complaint threads for awhile now. Why keep playing if you hate it so much?

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Mela_Di_Amore
Konani_NTH

I don't understand... Why do you still play if you are so unhappy with everything that Gaia does? I've noticed from my friends' feed that you have been posting a lot of complaint threads for awhile now. Why keep playing if you hate it so much?

It's not a game, so i can't really play it-

But i've been on this for a pretty long time now,
and i'm not unhappy with exactly everything, but i've much more to say about the things which i don't~
-i mean; dumpster dive is awesome, free items, but i don't say anything about it.

and i haven't posted a lot of complaint threads, i've been replying to lost of them,
also; they might be much more noticeable since i haven't posted any other kind of threads
thus if it's a question of percentage, i'm totally posting more unhappy threads than happy ones,

still though- gaia's done a lot recently which i, and many others, are not happy with-
-hello by the way, has been a while since we talked .o.~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces