Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
Hello, I've been looking into Martial Arts for a couple months. I've yet to decide upon which one I would like to take up, mostly because I've not yet found one that really... fit me. The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone who is more knowledge able about the various styles and forms might be able to suggest one I haven't already looked into.

To start, I've already looked at the normal ones or should I say the most prolific ones.

Now, onto what I'm looking for.

Power over, direct. Always hard hitting. Strong defensively. Preferably a non-grappling style.

If you need anything more please ask me. Though I might not know what you're talking about.
kick boxing brah, power, speed, always hard hitting. And no grappling.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Blufishh
Just for arguments sake, you ever been in a real fight? All the fights I've been in involved grabbing at some point, same with all the fights I've seen except the knockouts. MMA has the most practical real world use if that's your argument. People against it I'm guessing never really gave it a chance striking is a just a big part of it as grappling/bjj is.

Yes. A handful during and before high school. I've had people grab at me during them as well. However, not once have I seen a submission move that worked. That's more then likely because they didn't really know what they were doing, and I will admit that they do have their uses in the right situations. They just don't work for me.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
bunnyhavoc
It's one I've looked at, and is still an option. It's not very high on the list though... which is still really short.

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
It's one I've looked at, and is still an option. It's not very high on the list though... which is still really short.
or take mauy thai, you learn to clinch so if you have to clinch with someone you can be better than them

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
or take mauy thai, you learn to clinch so if you have to clinch with someone you can be better than them

I don't do grappling. I understand the basics of grappling but it's just not me.

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc

I don't do grappling. I understand the basics of grappling but it's just not me.
I know, i said clinch. No ground or arm bars involved. It has to do with knees and grabbing their head. Look up high lights on that. Try boxing, kick boxing, karate stuff (i'm not a fan so i don't know much), and thats the main striking gyms you would fine. You can look for more foreign stuff, but it's harder to find around you.
Knight of Disorder
Hello, I've been looking into Martial Arts for a couple months. I've yet to decide upon which one I would like to take up, mostly because I've not yet found one that really... fit me. The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone who is more knowledge able about the various styles and forms might be able to suggest one I haven't already looked into.

To start, I've already looked at the normal ones or should I say the most prolific ones.

Power over, direct. Always hard hitting. Strong defensively. Preferably a non-grappling style.

If you need anything more please ask me. Though I might not know what you're talking about.
Why not just old school boxing?

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc

I know, i said clinch. No ground or arm bars involved. It has to do with knees and grabbing their head. Look up high lights on that. Try boxing, kick boxing, karate stuff (i'm not a fan so i don't know much), and thats the main striking gyms you would fine. You can look for more foreign stuff, but it's harder to find around you.

Clinch Fighting is often the first step to transitioning from vertical fighting to pinning and grappling. It's a major part of competitive wrestling and several other grapple heavy forms.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Karl_Krebs
Knight of Disorder

Why not just old school boxing?

Kick Boxing, is the one that's on my list of options. Plain boxing is a really good for practicing and building up your strength, but it's something that I would actually focus on. Since I posted this I've read a good deal more on all of this. Taekwon-do, Karate, one that I can't remember... I have it written down, and Kick Boxing.

The one I can't remember is Chinese martial art from the Henan province. I think I'm spelling that wrong, but it's also really hard to find a teacher outside of China so it's pretty much a wash unless I get lucky.

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc

Clinch Fighting is often the first step to transitioning from vertical fighting to pinning and grappling. It's a major part of competitive wrestling and several other grapple heavy forms.
yepp, and what will you do when someone clinches you? They teach you take down defense and clinch control, so you can ******** anyone up

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
bunnyhavoc

yepp, and what will you do when someone clinches you? They teach you take down defense and clinch control, so you can ******** anyone up

Forgive me for this, but you're and idiot. All martial arts forms teach counter moves to grabs and Clinch fighting.

That didn't come out right, you're not an idiot but your not thinking. I've sat in on a on a friend of mine taking kick boxing and even they touched upon countering grabs when using it as a for of self defense.

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
Lol you came here asking for martial arts advice and i gave it to you, you can whine about and think you know it all, or you can take the advice from a current fighter and the brother of a former champion.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
bunnyhavoc
Knight of Disorder
Lol you came here asking for martial arts advice and i gave it to you, you can whine about and think you know it all, or you can take the advice from a current fighter and the brother of a former champion.

You know what, I understood what you said, I responded. You disregarded what I said, and what I originally asked. If you take my response to that as whining, then so be it. I asked for no grappling.

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Knight of Disorder
whatever bro, you asked for help. I help, and you insulted me. This is all on you bro.

thewookieempire's Girlfriend

Bashful Flatterer

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Flatterer 200
Tae Kwon Do fits your description well. 3nodding
I have taken it, but I only got up to a blue belt. sad
Anyways, you might like it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items