Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Gaian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
ifcruel72
Kyokushin kaikan Karate fits your description.
i do Kyokushin Karate too

Invisible Gaian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
ifcruel72
Kyokushin kaikan Karate fits your description.
i do Kyokushin Karate too

Ruthless Dabbler

6,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Knight of Disorder
Hello, I've been looking into Martial Arts for a couple months. I've yet to decide upon which one I would like to take up, mostly because I've not yet found one that really... fit me. The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone who is more knowledge able about the various styles and forms might be able to suggest one I haven't already looked into.

To start, I've already looked at the normal ones or should I say the most prolific ones.

Now, onto what I'm looking for.

Power over, direct. Always hard hitting. Strong defensively. Preferably a non-grappling style.

If you need anything more please ask me. Though I might not know what you're talking about.

Start with a grappling base buddy. Wrestling (freestyle or folk at first, likely folk), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Catch Wrestling, Judo, or even Sambo are great bases for a martial artist.

Ruthless Dabbler

6,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
If you realllllllly don't want to engage in a grappling art, then I would turn to Muay Thai, which has proven to be the most potent striking art in mixed martial arts combat over the years. Work those knees and elbows guy! There is some clinch-work involved though, hence Thai clinch or Thai Plum as it is called.

Hilarious Vampire

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Josepsh2
Soul_Snatcher_96
jiu jitsu
id be kick boxing .
mastering jiu jitsu combining with kickboxing will be superb
capoera or karate.
Bajiquan. Its a form of kung-fu.

My martial art personally is Capoeira.

Hilarious Explorer

4,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I use a mix of boxing, judo and aikido to disarm muggers of their knives and thumbs, and protect unsuspected tourists. It's cool.
I understand why you want to learn a art with no grappling techniques. You sound like someone who wants to OHKO someone. Which I understand because (Damn badass alert). But Practically every martial art has some form of grappling techinques. Have you ever thought of maybe learning a martial art that uses grappling but has strikes and just don't use the offensive grappling moves. I mean the best offense is a good defense right. Even the most experienced fighters know a few advance grapple moves and normal everyday people tend to run and try grab you once they realize they aren't gonna knock you out in like 2-3 punches. So I'm not saying don't give up on your plans but at the same time look at other options. Though I do have to say if you were serious about this. Your best options are traditional boxing and Taeknowdo.
Hey Knight,
I'm a Martial Arts instructor with experience in a few different styles. I would say it all depends on how much time you can devote your training. Assuming that allschools are created equal and you have an average amount of time to train, I would recommend your local Muay Thai gym. Its a hard Duke with heavy emphasis on power and conditioning.

Fuzzy Bear

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Friendly 100
Either...
-Taekwondo
-Karate

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Thunder Foot
Hey Knight,
I'm a Martial Arts instructor with experience in a few different styles. I would say it all depends on how much time you can devote your training. Assuming that allschools are created equal and you have an average amount of time to train, I would recommend your local Muay Thai gym. Its a hard Duke with heavy emphasis on power and conditioning.

I've actually decided on Muay Thai... still looking for a place near where I learn to pactice though.
Knight of Disorder
Thunder Foot
Hey Knight,

I've actually decided on Muay Thai... still looking for a place near where I learn to pactice though.

Good choice. Don't let looking for a gym stop you from beginning your training. If you want to be any level of decent at it, you will have to have a healthy regimen of training at home. So might as well start that now. Some of these YouTube videos nowadays are more accurate that trainers at the gums. Good idea to get a head start on it.

Aged Lunatic

10,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Thunder Foot
Knight of Disorder
Thunder Foot
Hey Knight,

Good choice. Don't let looking for a gym stop you from beginning your training. If you want to be any level of decent at it, you will have to have a healthy regimen of training at home. So might as well start that now. Some of these YouTube videos nowadays are more accurate that trainers at the gums. Good idea to get a head start on it.

Might you have any suggestions for channels to watch on youtube or other sites?

Clean Noob

1,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
Hey man you guys are forgetting wing chun, one of the great fighting styles that in my opinion put MMA on the spot it's at now lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff