• Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
remourleia
Mik Laid
remourleia
Mik Laid
remourleia
okay, so you're depressed. i get it. but maybe we should find out why, before shoving a bunch of pills down your throat. there are plenty of easily fixable things that can lead to depressions, often environmental factors. same goes for the other illnesses.
Not always. There are different types of depression and different causes. For example, clinical depression or major depressive disorder is depression that is characterized by pervasive and persistent low mood. You can change the environment of someone who has major depressive disorder, but it won't change how they feel. In my own life, I've been plagued with depression for over ten years. All the things that I thought were the cause, I got rid of. I got out of my abusive childhood home, I went to college, ate three healthy meal a day, exercised regularly and I was still severely depressed. I do agree that other methods should be tried before immediately resorting to pills as they can actually worsen depression in the long run, it shouldn't be treated as a disease that has a simple and easy cure. It's a very difficult to live with.

Also, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that people who take anti-depressants haven't tried everything they could think of. Taking pills to feel happy is very stigmatized in today's society and it's a hard option that most people never chose. People with depression often take the pills for a while, feel better and get off of them in hopes they will continue to feel better. This leads me to believe that most people really don't want these pills, they just don't have a better option.

A lot of them don't know.

I seem many "depressed" people, and their diet consists of starch and sugar. That will make you depressed.
Hence why at the beginning of my post, I said, "Not always."

Maybe their diet is contributing to their depression, but its not necessarily the cause.

But they never ever check what's causing the depression. And they make you more depressed. Like, I went there and every time they would be like, "Why do you want to kill yourself?" And I never ever was suicidal. They were trying to put it into my head that I was.
It seems that you had a bad experience with a health care provider. :/

Depression is a mood disorder. webmd.com, however, says that a number of factors including abuse, certain medication, conflict, death or loss, genetics, major life events, other personal issues, substance abuse and serious illness. Diet does contribute as our body needs certain amounts of minerals to function properly, however, you are pointing to diet as if it is the be-all-fix-all solution. Since doctors can't change your genetics or bring a loved one back from the death, how exactly are they suppose to "fix" what is causing your depression? All they can do is provide the medication so you can function in your everyday life. They aren't freakin' gods. Go see a therapist if you have emotional issues that need to be resolved. Anti-depressants can make depression over a long period of time worse, yes, it's been proven, however, not treating depression is the number one reason for suicides.

It seems to me that you had a bad experience with a health care provider and as a result have lumped every doctor as bad doctors. They do indeed refer you to therapists, they give you the medication you need to live your life.

Do some research before you start assuming that everyone is just taking pills because they don't want to deal with their issues. Stop acting like depression is not the serious mental disorder it is and stigmatizing the people who take pills. You obviously aren't reading my posts because I said most of this before in my previous posts. And as for those "other illnesses" you are pointing to, like depression, I'm sure you don't have a damn clue as to what you are talking about. You are spouting ignorance and refusing to acknowledge the facts that have been proven time and time again. You aren't the first person to think of changing their diet as I said in my previous posts about how I changed my own so stop acting like you just stumbled onto to this piece of golden ******** knowledge.

Hunter

ExodusProxy
pbtdkg
ExodusProxy
In many cases the causes cannot be helped, like most personality disorders are learned and are very hard to unlearn and usually need the help of therapist. Depression and other mood disorders are usually chemical so they are easier to control with diet and exercise as well as medication.

From what I have learned about your psychology system, is that it is an industry. Pharmaceutical companies rack in large amounts of revenue from these psychological medications, despite most people would be find without them. It just proves how easily your society is brainwashed by advertising.

For some this is the case, but there are people, like myself who have a very hard time without medication. I can do it, with diet and exercise like I said, but it's very difficult to do where I am now. It's also very dependent on the doctor you're dealing with, my doctor for example is very supportive and is will to help me find what is best for me. When I said I wanted to try going off my medication he helped me, when we discovered that it was a horrible idea I went back on it. But I do agree with you, that our society is very easily brainwashed, there are those you think pharmaceuticals are the end all be all, but on the other hand there are those who are completely against them and put themselves in danger.

Most psychologists do not know how one's digestive system works.
While they are aware of that an imbalance of neurotransmitters can cause psychological symptoms, and that neurotransmitters are synthesized out of amino acids found in our diets, they have no idea how these amino acids get from one's intestines into the blood stream.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
pbtdkg
While they are aware of that an imbalance of neurotransmitters can cause psychological symptoms, and that neurotransmitters are synthesized out of amino acids found in our diets, they have no idea how these amino acids get from one's intestines into the blood stream.

No Psychologists prescribe medications. That would be a psychiatrist, doctor or arnp and they definitely know how the digestive system works.

Anxious Fairy

I've recently worried that my socially awkward boyfriend with ADHD might have a slight form of autism but at the same time I worry that he's misdiagnosed some how with his ADHD.

I've even get worried that if we stayed together for a long time and got married how our kids would turn out. With my dad and I being epileptics, my uncle having the possibility of being an undiagnosed autistic and my boyfriend having ADHD (a problem related to autism). Our kids could come out with lots of problems and I'm terrified.
jamirna
Tuah
That is a fair assessment.

I would note that in some cases fixing the cause doesn't always fix the symptoms. For example, I've finally reached a point in my life where all the problems I used to have are simply melting away. Everything is so much better about my life, and I feel more positive than I ever have before. Yet I still suffer intensely mind-numbing depression because my neurotransmitter balance is still upset.

I think what she's saying is that environmental factors can affect the neurotransmitter balance in your head.

So, where do neurotransmitters come from? They are synthesized from amino acids. Where do amino acids come from? They come from proteins in food. If your diet is lacking in these amino acids, then your neurotransmitters will be affected. You can't make something out of nothing.

Notice how as our unhealthy diets increase(which can be seen in the physical manifestations of diabetes and obesity) that these rates of mental illnesses also increase.

Also, we have so many toxins in our environment these days, such as our cleaning supplies, air fresheners, pesticides and such, most of which can easily be made with natural ingredients such as vinegar, alcohol, salt, baking soda, peroxide, and lemon juice. I believe there is research to suggest a link between these chemicals and the increase in anaphylaxis.
THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN PREACHING. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. food is the answer!
SylverStar
pbtdkg

No Psychologists prescribe medications. That would be a psychiatrist, doctor or arnp and they definitely know how the digestive system works.

Just because you can't prescribe drugs, doesn't mean you have no medical training.
You have to learn brain chemistry in psychology classes.
And psychiatrists don't know it either.
Psychiatrists don't even know the side effects of the drugs they prescribe. Everyone I know who had problems with those drugs went to their psychiatrist who prescribed them the drugs and the psychiatrists told them to go see their family doctor. So they went to the pharmacist instead.
Psychiatrists aren't even licenced by the same board as the rest of the doctors.

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
Psychologist get psychopharmacology and behavioral neuroscience...2 classes and a big difference from a medical degree....and no anatomy course are required.

Psychiatrists go to med school I don't know how their licensing works but I know what their training is.

My experience has been the opposite. The psychiatrist I had knew way more about the meds I was taking and how they affected other systems. The doctors I've seen have always been more "oh really? It does that."

UW Doctors have a 2 week rotation on Psychiatry, so they don't get a whole lot of training in that area. Where as a psychiatrist specializes in that area. I have found pharmacists actually more knowledgeable on medications than a majority of doctors.
SylverStar
Psychologist get psychopharmacology and behavioral neuroscience...2 classes and a big difference from a medical degree....and no anatomy course are required.

Psychiatrists go to med school I don't know how their licensing works but I know what their training is.

My experience has been the opposite. The psychiatrist I had knew way more about the meds I was taking and how they affected other systems. The doctors I've seen have always been more "oh really? It does that."

UW Doctors have a 2 week rotation on Psychiatry, so they don't get a whole lot of training in that area. Where as a psychiatrist specializes in that area. I have found pharmacists actually more knowledgeable on medications than a majority of doctors.

Jamirna said they don't know the digestive system though, not the drugs. Well, she said that too, but I don't think it was her main point.

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
My point was doctors and those who prescribe meds do know that system. And most people know that a healthy diet and exercise and going to keep you overall more healthy including mentally. I mostly responding to medication component but I might have overlooked the main point.

But mental illness is a complicated issue and how exactly the brain works is not known. In fact there is now new evidence suggesting that neurotransmitters are not even released like we originally thought.

When you are dealing with someone with mental illness it is not easy for them to change aspects of their everyday life. So yes a change in diet would be beneficial to some extant...it is just not that easy. Also say something like tryptophan (the precursor to serotonin) often does not cross the blood-brain-barrier so will have little effect on mood.

Also many of the benefits of diet, exercise, and supplements only work on mild cases.
Up until about three years ago, I had been taking several medications for mood disorders.

I found that after stopping my medications, I have had no problems with mood swings, irritability, or the like. I feel as though we enable ourselves to have some of (not all, mind you) these disorders.

On the topic of disorders such as Autism, Schizophrenia, and the many others, I do agree that finding the cause of these illnesses is of great importance. We are spending millions of dollars every year doing just that. When we know the underlying cause of something, it becomes much easier to cure or prevent it.

Ethereal Trickster

21,240 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The problem is related to how our society views mental illness these days, if you fit into a category that is fairly common you are easy to treat but if you are (like me) in a unusual or unique/one of a kind category things get complicated.

Also you have to remember we live in a culture where many believe a pill solves all and you have to request alternative treatment suggestions or you may not receive any ideas even from doctors who do get paid to prescribe in some cases.

I would actually blame a fair amount of current emotional sort of mental illnesses on the prevelance of social media and the fact that it makes people who are already depressed feel worse in a fair amount of cases.
People no longer want to look at external factors, they just want a quick fix.

Greedy Kitten

Princess of Heretics
Up until about three years ago, I had been taking several medications for mood disorders.

I found that after stopping my medications, I have had no problems with mood swings, irritability, or the like. I feel as though we enable ourselves to have some of (not all, mind you) these disorders.

On the topic of disorders such as Autism, Schizophrenia, and the many others, I do agree that finding the cause of these illnesses is of great importance. We are spending millions of dollars every year doing just that. When we know the underlying cause of something, it becomes much easier to cure or prevent it.

I know this isn't the point, but I'm confused as to why you think autism should be cured. As an aspie, I view it as a difference that needs to be accepted (although of course, things like social skills and sensory issues might need some touching up on), not a disability that should be fixed.

Anxious Raider

1. Sometimes the cause is actually brain chemistry, and while it can be helped with environmental factors, such as diet, etc, sometimes pills are necessary.

Schizophrenics and bipolars who aren't taking meds are usually at high risk of being a threat to themselves, and sometimes even others.

2. You're right, in fact medication should be a last resort, and a supplementary, not a quick fix, a solution, or a permanent situation, for the most part.

Therapy, along with proper (or at least decent) diet, exercise, and daily routine should come first.

3. The CAUSES should also be dealt with- sometimes parents can even unwittingly be the cause of a disorder their child develops by raising them a certain way. While there's no ultimate guide for parenting, sometimes parents need to be emotionally intelligent, and aware of their children's needs more so than they are.

And yeah, ideally everyone should be emotionally intelligent, and aware, but there are jerks out there, and so forth, and we can't stop them.

However, most of a child's influence is their close family. So.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Unfortunately it's more expensive to refer a patient to counselling/CBT/therapy or to see a psychiatrist then it is to prescribe medication. The NHS is about the cheapest option, not necessarily the best option.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with this either, but I cannot deny what's happening sweatdrop

Frozen Fairy

There's no monetary gain for corporations by telling a patient to eat better and go paleo.
There is lots of monetary gain for corporations with the prescription of pharmaceuticals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff