Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Opera Phantomess
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

>.>

Make of it as you wish.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.

I hate that "It'll screw over people who are already working on these recipes!" excuse. Because that happens a LOT with cash items. People will buy something at a high price, or buy it earlier and then the price gets higher, but then the item loses a ton of value when it gets rereleased. Gaia doesn't seem to have any problem rereleasing cash items even though it "screws over" users who already own the item. It's been acknowledged that any item that ISN'T an MC is prone to being rereleased in large quantities. s**t, Gaia could give every user every Kitten Star for free and they wouldn't be going back on anything they've said. The "It'll screw over current Alchemists!" excuse is just that: an excuse.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
mamarita
Excuse me, but like everything else around here, have you not figured out that they don't seem to really care what we the users want? It is what they want, or what Lanzer wants. Screw us. It's no longer a matter of this being a user based site. They have too few developers to work on these projects properly from conception. If they actually thought all these things through properly from the beginning we wouldn't have these problems with alchemy.

Why not just bring the wings out as MC's. And whose brilliant (and I use that word very loosely) idea was alchemy in the first place. I think Merlin was a fictional character from the 13th Century in the British Isles. I think Alchemy came from there- and should be returned!

I think Alchemy was actually a good idea, it was just executed very, very poorly. Dragon Quest IX has a really cool Alchemy system. You can either use it to make new items, or make "upgraded" versions of existing items. It's very challenging and can take a while to get to the next step of items, but it's done in a perfectly fair way. If the item cannot be bought in stores or from NPCs, chances are you can find it in a treasure chest in a grotto or get it by fighting a certain monster. There's a lot of strategy and work involved but it doesn't overly rely on luck or riches. And the items you put in and the work you took to get those items are worth the end result, too. You get a stronger weapon or a cooler-looking outfit piece or a shield with better defense. Gaia Alchemy is the COMPLETE opposite. If you aren't rich enough to afford tons of chance items to open and MAYBE you'll get what you want, you can't do much with Alchemy. Many of the items are not worth the end result by the standards of most users. (7+ million gold for a single-pose companion or clothing item? Come on...)

Shadowy Millionaire

13,000 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Alchemy is a great idea. How the Gaia alchemy team has brought it here, its miserable. It needs reworked.

An announcement needs made about a special AtA dealing only with alchemy, inviting all users to speak their mind or bring forth concerns of any changes. A public meeting needs to be held. Period

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
So I've been lurking on SomethingAwful's Gaia thread, and apparently a dev showed up there to answer questions. Someone asked him whose idea it was to put the wings in alchemy and he said this:
Anonymous dev
I don't know, actually. All of us? I think there's general agreement among the creative team that you should have to work your a** off and probably get really goddamn angry at us for months and months to get them. I'm not directly involved in alchemy, but my personal opinion is that wings should be a reward for the most grueling effort you could possibly make. I couldn't tell you what others think (unless I walk over and ask them).

The thread itself is not really about alchemy but I thought this was interesting. They really do seem to think that alchemy is about hard work and effort. It's a little sad.

Adorable Champion

31,115 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Waffles! 25
Wow, SA really hates us. :o

So basically the devs don't care at all, huh?

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Fansub
So I've been lurking on SomethingAwful's Gaia thread, and apparently a dev showed up there to answer questions. Someone asked him whose idea it was to put the wings in alchemy and he said this:
Anonymous dev
I don't know, actually. All of us? I think there's general agreement among the creative team that you should have to work your a** off and probably get really goddamn angry at us for months and months to get them. I'm not directly involved in alchemy, but my personal opinion is that wings should be a reward for the most grueling effort you could possibly make. I couldn't tell you what others think (unless I walk over and ask them).

The thread itself is not really about alchemy but I thought this was interesting. They really do seem to think that alchemy is about hard work and effort. It's a little sad.

Oh I had no idea that thread existed. How delightful.

Yeah, if there was any doubt that the staff has no ******** idea what Alchemy is from a user perspective, this confirms it.

Trash Model

16,325 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Black Friday Ruler 25
Fansub
Anonymous dev

More like YEARS AND YEARS for most Gaians.

And they apparently still think rich and lucky= "hardwork" emotion_facepalm
Anyone can EASILY become rich on the site if they have tons of expendable income they're willing to spend on the site. Spending real money does not equal effort.

Not to mention that it is completely possible to make a system that would take a lot of time and effort over a course of months without relying on luck and ridiculous supplies of gold. It could easily have been a legit quest that requires you to just complete an insanely long chain of actions that need to be repeated numerous times. Or, if sticking with alchemy, a formula that relies on things that are completely farmable, but needing exceedingly large quantities of those items.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
MistressMinako
Fansub
Anonymous dev

Yeah, if there was any doubt that the staff has no ******** idea what Alchemy is from a user perspective, this confirms it.

It also kinda confirms that they don't take us seriously imho. It feels really dismissive.

Sweet Marshmallow

Fansub
Anonymous dev

What the flying ********.

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Fansub
MistressMinako
Fansub
Anonymous dev

It also kinda confirms that they don't take us seriously imho. It feels really dismissive.

Nothing less than what I expect from Gaia's staff these days. All it takes is hard work, and $1000+ a month in GC purchases to be a superstar.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Valentine
Fansub
Anonymous dev

What the flying ********]
Yeah. I just really don't know what to say now.

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

To staff members that may be reading this thread: the internet does not forget. If your staff is posting about Gaia on a public forum, we will find it.

Granted, it is questionable if that poster really is a staff member, but goddamn, the absolute arrogance in the post is in-line with the behavior that I've witnessed here over the last year or so from staff members, so I'm inclined to believe that person is an employee. And, if not, it's sad that that the state of Gaia is so far from what it should be that we'd believe those posts.

Hilarious Vampire

7,225 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I just wish they'd realize that as long as there's a chance factor in what components you get, it will NEVER be about hard work. Really, they could put all the components in the shop and base rarity on the formula itself, and the system would work really well.

Mysterious Trickster

I still say, put the damn components in the Cash Shop for a single GC and watch the amount of users flocking to buy them, myself included.

Staff said they didn't want to flood the MP, but users such as the trio working on the Demonic Quest have a s**t ton of components to flood the MP with. I don't know what's stopping them from doing that.

SA Post... I read on. The Anon Dev, at one point, talked about the Easter Event and how some of the users who liking it. It oddly reminded me of a Dev who posted about the Easter Event in ATA. Hm...

In a relationship with PoshuI

MistressMinako
Fansub
MistressMinako
Fansub
Anonymous dev

Nothing less than what I expect from Gaia's staff these days. All it takes is hard work, and $1000+ a month in GC purchases to be a superstar.

Or you have to be interested in playing the market which I am not. Not in real life, not online. I prefer something straightforward with clear steps that I can follow along with, not being worried about the chance my investment will crash.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff