Welcome to Gaia! ::

SilverEgg
CleoSombra
SilverEgg
CleoSombra
For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.

Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?

1.4 mil for mini wigs is still really cheap. Even 10 mil. Mini wing are worth around 170 mil in the MP right now, so even 130-150 mil is still a steal for anyone who is seriously questing mini wings.

My default though any bidding system caters to the wealthiest, there isn't really much that can be done about it.

Who said anything about questers? There's no rule in BidBlast dictating that only people questing for an item can bid on it.

Let's say that 75% of the population cannot earn 1 million gold within the next few days. That means they don't have a chance at winning the item. One of the 25% that is already wealthy is going to suddenly get a hell of a lot more wealthy, largely because they're wealthy.

If users didn't have to buy the item at its auction price, it wouldn't cater to the rich - it'd just cater to whatever bid at the right time.

Think smart though. I could have 0 gold on this account and STILL be able to purchase mini wings for 10-90 mil.

How? Look for a safe seller, someone who will trust you and whom you trust to give you the gold to buy it, so that they can purchase it from you at a discount from 170mil.

Erm . . .

You really don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying - perhaps it's because you're fixated on the fact that they're mini wings? I don't know. Apparently I must have confused you - sorry.

Conversationalist

CleoSombra
SilverEgg
CleoSombra
SilverEgg
CleoSombra
For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.

Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?

1.4 mil for mini wigs is still really cheap. Even 10 mil. Mini wing are worth around 170 mil in the MP right now, so even 130-150 mil is still a steal for anyone who is seriously questing mini wings.

My default though any bidding system caters to the wealthiest, there isn't really much that can be done about it.

Who said anything about questers? There's no rule in BidBlast dictating that only people questing for an item can bid on it.

Let's say that 75% of the population cannot earn 1 million gold within the next few days. That means they don't have a chance at winning the item. One of the 25% that is already wealthy is going to suddenly get a hell of a lot more wealthy, largely because they're wealthy.

If users didn't have to buy the item at its auction price, it wouldn't cater to the rich - it'd just cater to whatever bid at the right time.

Think smart though. I could have 0 gold on this account and STILL be able to purchase mini wings for 10-90 mil.

How? Look for a safe seller, someone who will trust you and whom you trust to give you the gold to buy it, so that they can purchase it from you at a discount from 170mil.

Erm . . .

You really don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying - perhaps it's because you're fixated on the fact that they're mini wings? I don't know. Apparently I must have confused you - sorry.

Can you clarify then? Because I think I understand.
This: "Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time." Which you based off of the mini wings, is totally untrue.

8,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
Side Note:
The chances of matching the 170 million gold price for Mini Angel Wings is Very Low.

The Math
The current clock is 47:46:36.
That's 171,996 seconds.

At 1g increase per bid, in order to get to 170 million (170 million / 171,996 second), 988.39 bids would have to be posted... EVERY SECOND.

That's just not going to happen. So, let's try a feasible number to get the maximum bid potential..
10 bids per second? 1.71 million gold.
25 bids per second? 4.29 million gold.
50 bids per second? 8.59 million gold.

So the bid is still relatively cheap, but how many Gaians can afford to pay that much when they win the item?

Conversationalist

Vampyrn
Side Note:
The chances of matching the 170 million gold price for Mini Angel Wings is Very Low.

The Math
The current clock is 47:46:36.
That's 171,996 seconds.

At 1g increase per bid, in order to get to 170 million (170 million / 171,996 second), 988.39 bids would have to be posted... EVERY SECOND.

That's just not going to happen. So, let's try a feasible number to get the maximum bid potential..
10 bids per second? 1.71 million gold.
25 bids per second? 4.29 million gold.
50 bids per second? 8.59 million gold.
So the bid is still relatively cheap, but how many Gaians can afford to pay that much when they win the item?

Trust me, if you win, you are going to get a s**t ton of offers from people to buy it from you, probably around 50-130 mil offers. You will have the gold to be able to buy a 9 mil Mini Wing! You won't get to keep them if you trade them off but you'll still earn a lot of gold/profit to satisfy you.
I would like it if there were more things to bid on. Right now we're fighting over 4 items, so no one's going to get them, even the one that's at its thirty second limit. They don't have to be rare, maybe some Alchemy components? Place a Shark's Blood there and people will bid their asses off.

Jeering Gekko

Cool feature. BUT I think the 30 secs reset is a problem... Maybe substracting 1 sec each reset?

Cosmic Guardian

I also have a bit of an issue with the 30 second rule.

Though I understand that this may be keeping anyone from coming in at the very last second and stealing the bid, really this is part of bidding and part of the thrill of the game. How it is now, the bid will never end. An example is, again, that white satin coat in the bid at the moment. It was supposed to end some time ago, but the 30 seconds keeps getting reset.

I would suggest, as it was mentioned before, that if the time extension were still in place, that the time added dwindle down, or there be a cap on how many times an auction can be extended, just so that the auction can eventually end.

Caring Sweetheart

13,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Survivor 150
"BidBlast lets you bid on super-rare Gaia items."

What I want to know is how is the Elegant White Satin Coat super-rare? The people bidding already went over what it costs in shops..............maybe I'm missing something if so please tell me because I am a little confused at this point.
Starlight Princess Lucky
I also have a bit of an issue with the 30 second rule.

Though I understand that this may be keeping anyone from coming in at the very last second and stealing the bid, really this is part of bidding and part of the thrill of the game. How it is now, the bid will never end. An example is, again, that white satin coat in the bid at the moment. It was supposed to end some time ago, but the 30 seconds keeps getting reset.

I would suggest, as it was mentioned before, that if the time extension were still in place, that the time added dwindle down, or there be a cap on how many times an auction can be extended, just so that the auction can eventually end.

There is a cap.

Under the bid button, it says (for the vest):
* - This auction will end latest on Fri, 23 Sep 2011

Dapper Man-Lover

SilverEgg
Trust me, if you win, you are going to get a s**t ton of offers from people to buy it from you, probably around 50-130 mil offers. You will have the gold to be able to buy a 9 mil Mini Wing! You won't get to keep them if you trade them off but you'll still earn a lot of gold/profit to satisfy you.

That's a good point, but it's possibly moot; it all depends on whether or not the winner is able to buy the items at the winning price with their current gold amount. If they don't have enough to buy it, they couldn't take offers to sell it because they technically don't own the item and, of course, selling items you don't own is a rather big rule violation.

Conversationalist

Shadow Coon II
SilverEgg

That's a good point, but it's possibly moot; it all depends on whether or not the winner is able to buy the items at the winning price with their current gold amount. If they don't have enough to buy it, they couldn't take offers to sell it because they technically don't own the item and, of course, selling items you don't own is a rather big rule violation.

You can still make deals with people.

Which is why there's an emphasis on the trust factor. Just take lots of screenshots about the deal and if someone tries to scam you can always file a report.

Personally I would use collateral if borrowing gold from someone.

So for example, say I win the minis for 10 mil.

Someone makes me an offer on it for 50 mil. We take screenshots about the agreed deal. They trade me 50 mil, I buy the wings for 10 mil, I send them the trade with the mini wings, I get to keep 40 mil.

That sort of deal.

OR after making some sort of deal, they give me 10 mil (with an expensive item of mine as collateral), i buy the wings, and then i trade the wings for 40 mil with them. This is probably a safer route. Etc.

Dapper Man-Lover

SilverEgg

Which is why there's an emphasis on the trust factor. Just take lots of screenshots about the deal and if someone tries to scam you can always file a report.

Someone makes me an offer on it for 50 mil. We take screenshots about the agreed deal. They trade me 50 mil, I buy the wings for 10 mil, I send them the trade with the mini wings, I get to keep 40 mil.

That sort of deal.

I completely understand and I'm sure that if the person who wins them doesn't have the gold to buy it, they'll probably make that deal with someone. However, it's still agreeing to sell someone an item that you don't own, so, if someone found out about it, they could get in trouble.

I'm not trying to be a goodie two-shoes or rain on anybody's parade; I'm merely pointing out that it would be against the rules to do that, for the sake of keeping people out of trouble. x3

Conversationalist

Shadow Coon II
SilverEgg

That sort of deal.

I completely understand and I'm sure that if the person who wins them doesn't have the gold to buy it, they'll probably make that deal with someone. However, it's still agreeing to sell someone an item that you don't own, so, if someone found out about it, they could get in trouble.

I'm not trying to be a goodie two-shoes or rain on anybody's parade; I'm merely pointing out that it would be against the rules to do that, for the sake of keeping people out of trouble. x3

I don't think it's against the rules, is it? I checked the ToS and saw nothing.

I think you can make deals to borrow gold from people, especially if you use collateral.

People use the collateral system to borrow items from each other all the time.

Dapper Man-Lover

SilverEgg

I think you can make deals to borrow gold from people, especially if you use collateral.

I know for certain that the Exchange has a rule against making threads offering to sell items that aren't currently in your inventory, so that leads me to believe that there's some rule somewhere that prohibits selling items that you don't own. I think the best option would be to PM a mod or admin and ask if that's the case.

Lots of people will do things against the rules without realizing it, so it's important that it gets pointed out for the sake of account safety and general knowledge. 3nodding

Shirtless Gekko

Shadow Coon II
SilverEgg

I know for certain that the Exchange has a rule against making threads offering to sell items that aren't currently in your inventory, so that leads me to believe that there's some rule somewhere that prohibits selling items that you don't own. I think the best option would be to PM a mod or admin and ask if that's the case.

Lots of people will do things against the rules without realizing it, so it's important that it gets pointed out for the sake of account safety and general knowledge. 3nodding
Got the exact quote for you. ninja
Quote:
Selling items that you do not own is NOT permitted.

Due to the high risk of abuse associated with these types of threads, any threads found to be selling items that users do not own themselves will be removed from the Exchange. This includes but is not limited to selling or taking offers on someone else's items.
Helping your friend find buyers is a great thing. However, if you wish to advertise their thread, please do so in the Chatterbox forum.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff