Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadow_Dragonz's avatar

5,200 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
BidBlast is out!

After blood, sweat, and tears BidBlast is finally out for your bidding pleasure. It's a way to grab some cool items, potentially cheaper, than if you were to buy them on the MP. So...

Tell us what you think about it: good, bad, like, love, hate, or just anything about BidBlast. Spill your heart out!

Thank you,


Shadow_Dragonz
Shadow_Dragonz's avatar

5,200 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
Mitsumi-chan
Yeah. I know it's new, but I used it for a bit and this is what I feel about it.

1) It didn't seem to have anything to bar users from bidding if they didn't have enough gold for the item (I tested it by moving all my gold to a mule). This might pose a problem if users are just raising the price of an item even if they can't possibly pay for it. Or if they should they win and not actually have enough. It's kind of unfair to users who are actually serious about buying the item.

2) Scripters- this is something that will be easily targeted by them and I'm sure someone is working on one already. It seems like there's nothing barring anyone from buying tens of thousands of tickets and letting an auto-clicker do it's thing.

3) The +30s rule is kind of problematic... though I didn't actually see it take place as I spammed 1000 tickets and the time didn't move at all. In the FAQ you should make it clear whether 30s is added every time someone bids, or only at the end when time runs out. If it is at the end, that might be kind of an issue as some auctions might not actually ever end (especially since you don't need to have the gold to pay for it in order to bid).
Third point has been addressed. But I still think this rule is really problematic if you're not even required to have the amount of gold to buy it to bid on it. If the first condition is fixed, then I am perfectly fine with this.
Shadow_Dragonz's avatar

5,200 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
Shadow_Dragonz
Mitsumi-chan

3) The +30s rule is kind of problematic... though I didn't actually see it take place as I spammed 1000 tickets and the time didn't move at all. In the FAQ you should make it clear whether 30s is added every time someone bids, or only at the end when time runs out. If it is at the end, that might be kind of an issue as some auctions might not actually ever end (especially since you don't need to have the gold to pay for it in order to bid).


BidBlast FAQ
BidBlast

How long does each auction last?
...
- Each auction starts with a varying amount of time on the clock. Once the clock runs down to the last 30 seconds, each bid will reset the clock back up to 30 seconds. This will continue until there are no further bids and the clock runs out.
...



We are looking into the other points you've listed here. Thanks smile

Shadow_Dragonz
nanieru's avatar

Sweet Glitch

whee Extremely exciting.
CleoSombra's avatar

Quotable Lunatic

For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.


Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?
l iConfuzzled l's avatar

Icy Muse

21,300 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
tobi-chann's avatar

Shirtless Cat

surprised
I like it so far
I don't like it.

I like the concept, but i don't like the fact you could spend thousands on tickets to bid for an item...win....and then you have to pay for the item itself!

With tickets priced at 10g each, surely THAT would could as the currency to bid buy? Or at least change it to an E-bay sort of style, where you can set max bid of gold. That would also allow us in GMT to take part better as most of these bids will run out at silly o'clock times for us.

Again, nice idea, but i think it's over complicated and over expensive.
Destrius's avatar

Champion

Wait...Mini Wings for sale? Are they re-releasing older Donation Items? eek
I remember asking at a Gaia Panel and Lanzer and DJ Hellsing reassured users that Donation Items would not be re-released.
Interesting concept, not sure how it will play out.

With the satin coat being 10k over shop price already, you may have a problem in that the eventual "winner" may not actually want to buy the coat. Winners have a week to buy the item before it falls to the runner up, who also probably won't want to win an opportunity to buy an overpriced shop item. It might take a while to offload the coat.

I guess the problem is that there is no pressure to force the winner to buy the item they bid for (provided they have the funds for it in the first place).
SilverEgg's avatar

Conversationalist

A small chat panel (where you can chat with other people bidding) would be really fun to have on the bidblast page. And decrease the boredom of just clicking 'bid'. This can also just be a link to a virtual space where people can gather and talk to each other as they bid against each other.

There is also a small glitch on the white satin coat page. Only 1 name shows up in the Top 10 Bidders list
SilverEgg's avatar

Conversationalist

CleoSombra
For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.


Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?

1.4 mil for mini wigs is still really cheap. Even 10 mil. Mini wing are worth around 170 mil in the MP right now, so even 130-150 mil is still a steal for anyone who is seriously questing mini wings.

By default though any bidding system caters to the wealthiest, there isn't really much that can be done about it.
CleoSombra's avatar

Quotable Lunatic

SilverEgg
CleoSombra
For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.


Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?

1.4 mil for mini wigs is still really cheap. Even 10 mil. Mini wing are worth around 170 mil in the MP right now, so even 130-150 mil is still a steal for anyone who is seriously questing mini wings.

My default though any bidding system caters to the wealthiest, there isn't really much that can be done about it.


Who said anything about questers? There's no rule in BidBlast dictating that only people questing for an item can bid on it.

Let's say that 75% of the population cannot earn 1 million gold within the next few days. That means they don't have a chance at winning the item. One of the 25% that is already wealthy is going to suddenly get a hell of a lot more wealthy, largely because they're wealthy.


If users didn't have to buy the item at its auction price, it wouldn't cater to the rich - it'd just cater to whatever bid at the right time.
Vampyrn's avatar

8,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
Bid Blast aka we stealin' your gold, sucks so far.

Items will end up being bid to well over their value, case and point the Elegant White Satin Coat.
Retails for 56,300 gold.
Current BB: 65,994 gold (And climbing)
Actual Value Bid: 659,940 gold

A ticket is 10g per (8g for 1000) so for every item sold 8-10 times the gold is being removed from the market. I can live with that. However, if you win the item, you don't really win... You win the CHANCE to buy the item, for the last bid value. So if the final bid was immensely over MP Value. There's no point in buying.

In the case of super-rares, like the current Bid on Mini Angel Wings, the only people who will be able to buy them after winning are the super rich. The bid on such and item will no doubt go into the millions, maybe even tens of millions so even if a normal Joe Gaian wins the bid, he can't afford to buy it. If some super-rich Gaian wins, he/she can now buy the discounted Rare, and probably sell it for a huge profit. Thus eliminating the point of Bid Blast, remove the immense amount of gold in Gaia while supplying a value reducing amount of Rares.

The bid jumping the clock back up is the stupidest thing ever when you're trying to get people cheap Rares, until people are used to the system and realize that the price they see is the price they'll have to pay, restoring the clock with each bid will just make the item return next week and drain people's gold for no reason. Let the clock run out, or it will never stop until the deadline is met.

Proposed Changes:

Bid Cap. If it's a store item, the store value minus 10 percent is the cap. If it's rare, the perceived value by Staff is the cap. This will ensure that someone will buy it, or at least have a chance to buy at a fair price. Unreasonable prices will just ensure that the same items show up week after week.

You win it, its yours. Gaians are already paying for you to win the item, you shouldn't have to buy it. With the total losses up to 10 times the bid value, the user who wins should get the item no holds barred. This is a no brain-er - whomever suggested buying the item for the bid price should be eaten by Diedrich.

Clock Reset Limit or Sleep Timer. If the item has been bid on X amount of times the clock stops resetting. OR After X amount of resetting bids, the clock stops resetting for 25 seconds. The current system will inevitably lead to trolling, i.e. people purposely bidding to keep people from getting cheap items.

Shorter Deadlines You can keep your timer reset, but make the deadline shorter so those big ticket items don't go on forever and ever. The deadlines seem to be staggered 4 days from the listing time, shorten them to 24 hours.

Adjust the end time. Currently it sounds like the deadline is 12 AM PST, that means that east coaster's will have to stay up until 3 AM if they want to win a bid... not exactly fair. Adjusting the time back by 3-4 hours suits both coasts. 8PM PST, 11PM EST, would be a better deadline time.
SilverEgg's avatar

Conversationalist

CleoSombra
SilverEgg
CleoSombra
For some of these trades, it seems that the rich get richer. The Mini-Wings are going up 1k a minute right now. Assuming that drops to 500g due to lack of interest, the price of the wings could reach well over 1.4 mill within the next 48 hours.

Only the wealthy have a that much gold on hand or can sell enough items within a limited period of time.

I'm really not sure why it was done this way. Apparently sinking x10 the amount of gold the item is worth (i.e., the satin vest has sunk approximately 500k at this moment) isn't enough?

Another concern is this:
* - This auction will end latest on Sun, 25 Sep 2011

So that means if people are still bidding, at a specific time, whoever bids last will get the item (i.e., auction ends at 12:00:00 AM, Bob puts in his bid at 11:59:57 PM and loses to Sally who puts her bid in at 11:59:58 PM). If it ends at, say, 12 AM, it's very fair . . . for those in a specific timezone. If it's 12 AM PST, that means people in the East Coast will have to be up at 3 AM.


Also, were the items generated out of thin air, or were they removed from banned accounts?

1.4 mil for mini wigs is still really cheap. Even 10 mil. Mini wing are worth around 170 mil in the MP right now, so even 130-150 mil is still a steal for anyone who is seriously questing mini wings.

My default though any bidding system caters to the wealthiest, there isn't really much that can be done about it.


Who said anything about questers? There's no rule in BidBlast dictating that only people questing for an item can bid on it.

Let's say that 75% of the population cannot earn 1 million gold within the next few days. That means they don't have a chance at winning the item. One of the 25% that is already wealthy is going to suddenly get a hell of a lot more wealthy, largely because they're wealthy.


If users didn't have to buy the item at its auction price, it wouldn't cater to the rich - it'd just cater to whatever bid at the right time.

Think smart though. I could have 0 gold on this account and STILL be able to purchase mini wings for 10-90 mil.

How? Look for a safe buyer, someone who will trust you and whom you trust to give you the gold to buy it, so that they can purchase it from you at a discount from 170mil.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games