Welcome to Gaia! ::

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

korinzu
The Covenant Man
I think I'm in love.

xd mrgreen Oh really? And why might that be? wink

ginger_jam

Looks like My scholar is going to the Halle House. Any ideas for plotting then?

I would have accepted the profile in PM, but my phone doesn't show the send button and I have no idea how to locate it or move what it is hiding behind.

So... accepted! Go forth and plot!

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
korinzu
The Covenant Man
I think I'm in love.

xd mrgreen Oh really? And why might that be? wink

ginger_jam

Looks like My scholar is going to the Halle House. Any ideas for plotting then?

Because very rarely to I run into people who understand that economics play a huge part when it comes to warfare and I somewhat regret not being a different character so I can reinforce those sentiments. Maybe I'll make another one.

But it's very interesting that you'd bring all of that up, because this is largely a feudal system which would mean that most villagers aren't going to be treated very well. In fact what would keep most villagers, peasants, workers, complacent in this case would be religion. "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." -Napoleon Bonaparte. And then of course you have the risk of peasants being tortured some sort of organization.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Canny Trickster

The Covenant Man

And you are absolutely right. Though frankly I have no idea how expansive the faceless king or northwode pagan religions are, which is why I didn't bring them up because I didn't want to be stepping on ideas some may have with them because their is an element in the story where religion play a major role, in the form of David and team odd ball. So I decided to focus instead of what I did know were going to be fairly accurate to the theme and period the roleplay can be considered to be loosely based off of.

The first step to bring halle from the current position to a higher one is to increase their agricultural efficiency and livestock raising, IE. perishable food stuffs and associated resources. Halle's land would be better served to corn crops, where as eyre territory would be better suited for the potato, as part of the major crop for their territories temperament.

But once those have been established and improved, that will be the gateway leading to other reforms, possibly bringing in a new method for creating quality steel from limited resources, known as crucible forging, which has the characteristics of a good modern steel, which was significantly better than what our forefathers in mideival times could have achieved on their own. Tough a lot of this will take time and require some investment, but the returns would be well worth the wait.
Ahhh I wanna talk about all these things but I had a job interview today and I'm in the process of getting wrecked emotionally by a 10 minute children's cartoon; be back soon!

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

Hey a good place to introduce the new character would to be where Mortimer and the Halle daughter are. You could say he traveled with her.

That way he'd be getting interaction right off the bat.

Also posting for mortimer tomorrow. I'm sorry I'm so slow Ginger, this week is busy busy.

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

Also, I am curious for the people who are not on skype, if they would like to try another way to chat. One of the better ones that I know of is called LINE and it's pretty fun. You need a phone number, but other than that, it works on the computer or the phone/ipod and I don't believe it requires that much data to use.
Lunatic also only uses skype on her phone and the app isn't too terrible.

We don't face chat, either. It's all just text aside from the photos we send and drawings.

I just know that it's a good way to get characters involved and have stupid conversations with other ones, where you normally couldn't.

Can you guys think of something? The OOC is pretty dry right now, but we can try and spice it up.

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
korinzu
The Covenant Man

And you are absolutely right. Though frankly I have no idea how expansive the faceless king or northwode pagan religions are, which is why I didn't bring them up because I didn't want to be stepping on ideas some may have with them because their is an element in the story where religion play a major role, in the form of David and team odd ball. So I decided to focus instead of what I did know were going to be fairly accurate to the theme and period the roleplay can be considered to be loosely based off of.

The first step to bring halle from the current position to a higher one is to increase their agricultural efficiency and livestock raising, IE. perishable food stuffs and associated resources. Halle's land would be better served to corn crops, where as eyre territory would be better suited for the potato, as part of the major crop for their territories temperament.

But once those have been established and improved, that will be the gateway leading to other reforms, possibly bringing in a new method for creating quality steel from limited resources, known as crucible forging, which has the characteristics of a good modern steel, which was significantly better than what our forefathers in mideival times could have achieved on their own. Tough a lot of this will take time and require some investment, but the returns would be well worth the wait.

If one side wanted to defeat the other than all one would need to do would be stifle their economy. There was a reason why traveling on roads was so dangerous, usually caravans would be stopped and either raided or burned. Usually raided as the needless sacrifice of resources would be pointless in and of itself. However the house of Eyre seems to value honor above a lot of things so they would be a bit more of a trivial sort when it comes to hiring bandits and other riff-raff in order to complete tasks not suited for actual military men.

I figure the only way to really wage a war in this time period is to take land and harvest what you can from it. The Eyre house is well situated in the north and is guarded by heavily forests surrounding their main keep. I'm sure we can harvest wood fairly easily and there may very well be villages set up for just this reason. While wood might not seem to be a very valuable resource initially when it comes to warfare, keep in mind that arrows have been known to pierce thinner variants of plate armor with use of the bodkin arrow. Not only that, but the sheer strength of the longbow is enough to destroy any band of enemy units due to its excessive strength and the lesser forms of armor men-at-arms typically wore during this time (leather and chainmail being popular).

For reference, a longbow averaged to be more than 6 feet tall and could have a draw-weight of roughly 130-150 lbs. Some people here might doubt the legitimacy of that but keep in mind that the English had trained young boys in archery and probably had a sort of ladder-system where a boy would get stronger and then get a bow with a higher draw-weight.

Theoretically, one side could rule the battlefield with nothing more than perhaps 1000 archers and 500 men-at-arms. Of course trenches would be dug and spikes placed into the ground. But theoretically this would be able to destroy any opposing force that isn't head-to-toe in thick metal armor.

Economically speaking this would be VERY easy to do from the Eyre's location as they are situated very closely to large swathes of forest and, what can be assumed, pinewood. As it is easy and one could get perhaps 20-25 bows from a single tree, you could arm a majority of your peasants and teach them how to use a bow for very little cost, mostly because a bow is a very simple weapon to use.
No prob, Harmonie, I've been there.

I was also gonna suggest that Connor would have come off the same ship as Itsaso. Still ruminating on how she would feel about him--on the one hand, she's got a similar view toward learning and he could find a reluctant ally in her in some ways; she'd be interested in his ideas, for sure. They'd have probably seen a lot of each other in the library. On the other...I see her trying to keep some distance from him, for a lot of reasons that I'm at the risk of writing tooooo much about but, basically, because she's kind of a d*ck.

Anyway, YES about the religious stuff!! I've had a character idea for some time now but I'm not sure how to execute it because I don't want to make huge assumptions about the way people practice the religions of the country, plus I'm kinda doing...research...that's drawing me in a lot of different directions.

whyyyyy am i still awake
Oh whoops I've had this open too long and didn't see the last couple posts.

Ahhh...maybe if everyone's in the chat and it's a better way to talk to everyone I'll make another account. I'll see if my phone can handle it but, it was old when I got it 2 years ago lol

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

ginger_jam

Anyway, YES about the religious stuff!! I've had a character idea for some time now but I'm not sure how to execute it because I don't want to make huge assumptions about the way people practice the religions of the country, plus I'm kinda doing...research...that's drawing me in a lot of different directions.

whyyyyy am i still awake

What questions did you have? I'll try and help as best I can.

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

ginger_jam
Oh whoops I've had this open too long and didn't see the last couple posts.

Ahhh...maybe if everyone's in the chat and it's a better way to talk to everyone I'll make another account. I'll see if my phone can handle it but, it was old when I got it 2 years ago lol

Only if you want to. We have a lot of crazy fun and it's great for plotting and establishing relationships with other characters.

My name is: zabblepants

D_letion's Wife

Tipsy Sailor

korinzu
The Covenant Man

So the Faceless King Religion is the most common one throughout the land. There are churches everywhere, books... all kinds of junk. If you think about the middle ages and compare it to the Catholic Church, the two would be very similar. (Aside from the obvious differences.)

That means there would be religious plays, commoners would know about it, "The families have the divine right to rule", etc. It's also to be known that the Faceless King is... Real? All of the gods in this rp are real, but the Faceless King has the most power.

As for the northwood pagans, it is only practiced within a small group of people in the Eyre territory. Pagans that do pagan things... yes that include orgies and other inappropriate things. Lady Eyre knows how to have a good time.

Any other questions I can help you with?
Harmonie and Happiness
ginger_jam

whyyyyy am i still awake

What questions did you have? I'll try and help as best I can.

Welllll I guess the best place to start would be: 1. What religion do the Gitan follow? The Faceless King, or something they have within their own culture, or a mixture? (I may be drawing too heavily in my mind on actual Roma here xP)
and 2. Do we have any established roles or hierarchies within the religious...powers? esp. in regards to women/girls.

And thank you! I'll see about it soon

Canny Trickster

Harmonie and Happiness
korinzu
The Covenant Man

So the Faceless King Religion is the most common one throughout the land. There are churches everywhere, books... all kinds of junk. If you think about the middle ages and compare it to the Catholic Church, the two would be very similar. (Aside from the obvious differences.)

That means there would be religious plays, commoners would know about it, "The families have the divine right to rule", etc. It's also to be known that the Faceless King is... Real? All of the gods in this rp are real, but the Faceless King has the most power.

As for the northwood pagans, it is only practiced within a small group of people in the Eyre territory. Pagans that do pagan things... yes that include orgies and other inappropriate things. Lady Eyre knows how to have a good time.

Any other questions I can help you with?
Yes we pagans do know how to have a good time. biggrin (Signature) And as a note, Connor is Agnostic for the most part until he sees something divine like occur, but speirr is a northwood pagan.

and this does help immensely to know how immense the faceless king religion is and how...selective the pagan aspect is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff