Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did you miss me?

Im baaaccckkk 0.38181818181818 38.2% [ 168 ]
Bitches 0.61818181818182 61.8% [ 272 ]
Total Votes:[ 440 ]

Beloved Genius

Jagger-Wolf
xlove_buttonx

Hello everyone! I have a question, I have had my nose pierced in the past and I know where the whole is because I can feel it from the inside and see where it should be on the outside. Question is, it has healed with I wouldn't say a bump but its raised scar tissue. Not very noticeable except I notice it because I look for it. Long story short, I want my nose ring back in but I am afraid if I push it through that tissue that it will heal with a bad scar if I take it out. Any advice or should I just not mess with that side and get the other side done?
YOU don't push it through. You have a professional repierce it for you.

Okay thank you, do you think it will heal properly? I don't want to be left with a huge scar if I have to take it out later in life.

Eloquent Vampire

xlove_buttonx
Jagger-Wolf
xlove_buttonx

Hello everyone! I have a question, I have had my nose pierced in the past and I know where the whole is because I can feel it from the inside and see where it should be on the outside. Question is, it has healed with I wouldn't say a bump but its raised scar tissue. Not very noticeable except I notice it because I look for it. Long story short, I want my nose ring back in but I am afraid if I push it through that tissue that it will heal with a bad scar if I take it out. Any advice or should I just not mess with that side and get the other side done?

Okay thank you, do you think it will heal properly? I don't want to be left with a huge scar if I have to take it out later in life.
Assuming your piercer is professional, well educated, well trained and experienced, and follows sterile procedures and regulations, all scarring will be down to how YOU take care of your piercing. Proper aftercare, wise jewelry style and material choice, and sometimes just how your body reacts to trauma, will all affect how you scar or don't scar.

Beloved Genius

Jagger-Wolf
xlove_buttonx
Jagger-Wolf
xlove_buttonx

Assuming your piercer is professional, well educated, well trained and experienced, and follows sterile procedures and regulations, all scarring will be down to how YOU take care of your piercing. Proper aftercare, wise jewelry style and material choice, and sometimes just how your body reacts to trauma, will all affect how you scar or don't scar.

Thank you very much for all the advice!

Eloquent Vampire

New item added to the Shop! My first item of geekery in a long time. Go check it out!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215428803/triforce-beanie
Yarrrrgh. So everything was healing well. No pain. No more discharge. Just daily SSS cleanings to prevent any build-up of external debris like lint and what not, but suddenly things have gone wrong. Bottom two piercings are sore to the touch (noticed it when I rolled over on the pillow a few nights ago) and slightly bruised looking around the piercing themselves.

I've already sent an email to the piercing studio to find out their holiday hours (they're closed today) and will probably go in tomorrow or the day after to have it looked at. So annoyed, and praying they're not rejecting/migrating, because I've been fastidious about not touching them overmuch, so it's unlikely they're infected.

Eloquent Vampire

spuntino
Yarrrrgh. So everything was healing well. No pain. No more discharge. Just daily SSS cleanings to prevent any build-up of external debris like lint and what not, but suddenly things have gone wrong. Bottom two piercings are sore to the touch (noticed it when I rolled over on the pillow a few nights ago) and slightly bruised looking around the piercing themselves.

I've already sent an email to the piercing studio to find out their holiday hours (they're closed today) and will probably go in tomorrow or the day after to have it looked at. So annoyed, and praying they're not rejecting/migrating, because I've been fastidious about not touching them overmuch, so it's unlikely they're infected.
Cartilage piercings can be assholes. They'll be uncannily fine early on and then suddenly "HEY! THAT HURT!" and then start acting up. If you've been super diligent with cleaning, avoiding trauma, not sleeping on it, all that good stuff, I'm sure it's okay, just being pissy. But get it looked at anyway, just to be safe.
Jagger-Wolf
spuntino

Cartilage piercings can be assholes. They'll be uncannily fine early on and then suddenly "HEY! THAT HURT!" and then start acting up. If you've been super diligent with cleaning, avoiding trauma, not sleeping on it, all that good stuff, I'm sure it's okay, just being pissy. But get it looked at anyway, just to be safe.

Yeah. So I hear. I've probably been sleeping on them without meaning to. I tend to roll over in my sleep. But that's why I've been careful to keep up the cleaning. I know that getting debris like cat hair or lint is a serious possibility in this house.

Still. No discharge is pretty good, right? No redness or swelling either. I'm hoping I just knocked it in my sleep or something. =/

Eloquent Vampire

spuntino
Jagger-Wolf
spuntino

Yeah. So I hear. I've probably been sleeping on them without meaning to. I tend to roll over in my sleep. But that's why I've been careful to keep up the cleaning. I know that getting debris like cat hair or lint is a serious possibility in this house.

Still. No discharge is pretty good, right? No redness or swelling either. I'm hoping I just knocked it in my sleep or something. =/
Yeah, it probably just got some dust in there and is upset about it. Just keep soaking to keep it clean and encourage it to push out whatever may be in there. If it's really sore, you can do a warm chamomile tea bag soak during the day, or add one more plain warm water soak. No more than 2 salt soaks a day, but the one extra warm water soak can help a lot to calm it down and encourage the flushing without the potential irritant of the salt.

Cartilage is known to be bitchy, but yeah, the no swelling, discharge or anything like that is a good sign, more an indication that it's just pissy rather than something being actually wrong.
did anyone here buy the baf calendar? im buying lotsa custom anatometal things which is obvs expensive. idk if i should buy it now withthe 20 percent or just wait til a 30 percent sale. i know they usually do one for the 4th of july but is the other 30 sale for new years? id like to get the jewelry asap
Went to the studio today and had my ear checked out. The bruising has gone, but it's still red and angry, so he said to basically keep doin' what I've been doin' (two SSS each day, chamomile or plain warm soak as necessary) until it chills out again.

He also did the figurative fingerwag and told me to come have the bars swapped when they settle again, because it's likely I irritated the piercings either while sleeping or cleaning, because they were the "right" length for swollen-healing tissue, but now are a bit too long and slide around, causing more irritation than necessary.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Navel Question?

So, I've had my belly button pierced since September 6th, 2014.

It was extremely and almost unaturally red, until I changed it which helped a lot. It's no longer very red and sore, and pretty normal.

But, it's hard for me to take it in and out. This is the second time I've pierced it, and since there was a lot of scar tissue, I had to pierce it deeper.

It's not smooth putting in? If that makes sense.

The hole is quite small, and it feels like it needs "lube" to go through. But when I dabbed some water on it, it make the hole smaller, looking?

The only way I can successfully get the jewerly through is if I'm putting it through the top hole, down, instead of from the bottom hole, up.

What's going on? How can I help this?

Eloquent Vampire

Cutsie Mootsie
Navel Question?

It was extremely and almost unaturally red, until I changed it which helped a lot. It's no longer very red and sore, and pretty normal.

But, it's hard for me to take it in and out. This is the second time I've pierced it, and since there was a lot of scar tissue, I had to pierce it deeper.

The hole is quite small, and it feels like it needs "lube" to go through. But when I dabbed some water on it, it make the hole smaller, looking?

The only way I can successfully get the jewerly through is if I'm putting it through the top hole, down, instead of from the bottom hole, up.

You shouldn't be taking it in and out. You're irritating it unnecessarily LONG before it's past it's initial healing period, and even longer before it's full healing period.

What you need to do is STOP changing it. Go to your piercer, invest in some high quality titanium jewelry, and do NOT change it for at least 8 more months. Surface piercings of that type take a LONG time to heal.

Also, what is your cleaning and care routine?

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jagger-Wolf
Cutsie Mootsie
Navel Question?

You shouldn't be taking it in and out. You're irritating it unnecessarily LONG before it's past it's initial healing period, and even longer before it's full healing period.

What you need to do is STOP changing it. Go to your piercer, invest in some high quality titanium jewelry, and do NOT change it for at least 8 more months. Surface piercings of that type take a LONG time to heal.

Salt water soaks and cleaning it every night with soap and water.

The only reason I felt the need to change it was because it was constantly moving and becoming red and irritated. Since I've changed it it's gotten better? Which is extremely weird. It's like the first thing I had in it was too thin and long, while this one is a bit thicker and shorter. Which doesn't let it move as much and get caught on my clothes, if that makes sense.

Eloquent Vampire

Cutsie Mootsie
Jagger-Wolf
Cutsie Mootsie
Navel Question?

The only reason I felt the need to change it was because it was constantly moving and becoming red and irritated. Since I've changed it it's gotten better? Which is extremely weird. It's like the first thing I had in it was too thin and long, while this one is a bit thicker and shorter. Which doesn't let it move as much and get caught on my clothes, if that makes sense.
Stop with the soap and water. Soap is irritating and just making any problems worse. Just 2 salt soaks a day, 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt into 8oz of distilled, just hotter than bath water hot. Soak for 5-10 minutes at a time, 2 times a day.

The barbell is supposed to be too long initially to accommodate swelling. You're supposed to go back to your piercer after about 3 weeks and have them downsize it for you, then you keep that new barbell until the healing period is over. A piercing is also expected to be red and sore and painful for it's first few weeks, it's a deep puncture wound, they take a long time to heal and are quite traumatic on the body. If you put in a larger/wider barbell than what you were pierced with, you stretched a BRAND NEW piercing, and I bet that royally pissed it off.

Honestly, your best bet is to still upgrade to high quality materials, and to not change the jewelry again for at least 8 more months. Navel piercings are a surface piercing, they take a long time to heal, especially since yo went even deeper to avoid scar tissue. If it's irritated, sore, red, and upset, you need to do everything you can to eliminate irritants. High quality materials can do a lot for this, making sure your cleaning routine isn't contributing to irritation, and not changing the barbell and scraping the inside of the still raw fistula, will go a long way toward improvement.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jagger-Wolf
Cutsie Mootsie
Jagger-Wolf
Cutsie Mootsie
Navel Question?

Stop with the soap and water. Soap is irritating and just making any problems worse. Just 2 salt soaks a day, 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt into 8oz of distilled, just hotter than bath water hot. Soak for 5-10 minutes at a time, 2 times a day.

The barbell is supposed to be too long initially to accommodate swelling. You're supposed to go back to your piercer after about 3 weeks and have them downsize it for you, then you keep that new barbell until the healing period is over. A piercing is also expected to be red and sore and painful for it's first few weeks, it's a deep puncture wound, they take a long time to heal and are quite traumatic on the body. If you put in a larger/wider barbell than what you were pierced with, you stretched a BRAND NEW piercing, and I bet that royally pissed it off.

Honestly, your best bet is to still upgrade to high quality materials, and to not change the jewelry again for at least 8 more months. Navel piercings are a surface piercing, they take a long time to heal, especially since yo went even deeper to avoid scar tissue. If it's irritated, sore, red, and upset, you need to do everything you can to eliminate irritants. High quality materials can do a lot for this, making sure your cleaning routine isn't contributing to irritation, and not changing the barbell and scraping the inside of the still raw fistula, will go a long way toward improvement.

Thank you so much! I will go to my piercer asap! I also PM'ed you a picture of the piercing to give you a better idea!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff