Welcome to Gaia! ::

Prince Charmant

I've actually looked through that website and the one on the first page and am still having trouble. D;
Well for Blythe I'm using this. For Skit I'm using carefresh, paper towels and the same cedar.

-shudders- Cedar is about the absolute worst thing you could ever use for any animal, I suggest you change the other to carefresh immediately. gonk D; Just throw the cedar away it's absolute trash, and utterly horrible for rats in particular because of respiratory issues.

I'm actually not sure what I'd call that coloration xD I have a rat that's mostly solid like that and I don't refer to him as anything but solid.

And I assume this was an accidental litter? That's what it sounds like anyway considering you have one female and one male you can correct me if I'm wrong of course. Did you have a plan for the adorable little ones when they are weaned? :3
(Sorry if you've already told us all this I just don't recognize ya xD )

Invisible Citizen

hiysinphlay
Prince Charmant
hiysinphlay
Prince Charmant
User Image

This is Blythe- <3
He got my baby-girl Skit pregnant. c:
I know that she is considered a hooded rat however I'm unsure what to consider him.
Can anyone tell me? [: /I have looked at websites and am still unsure.

User Image

CLICK
^A great site for all that nifty terminology :3
I do have a quick question after seeing the pictures, that bedding looks awfully familiar do you mind me asking what it is you use?

I've actually looked through that website and the one on the first page and am still having trouble. D;
Well for Blythe I'm using this. For Skit I'm using carefresh, paper towels and the same cedar.

-shudders- Cedar is about the absolute worst thing you could ever use for any animal, I suggest you change the other to carefresh immediately. gonk D;

I'm actually not sure what I'd call that coloration xD I have a rat that's mostly solid like that and I don't refer to him as anything but solid.

And I assume this was an accidental litter? That's what it sounds like anyway considering you have one female and one male you can correct me if I'm wrong of course. Did you have a plan for the adorable little ones when they are weaned?
(Sorry if you've already told us all this I just don't recognize ya xD )

Well quite honestly usually we buy these other shavings but I didn't go with my father to buy shavings so I had to just deal with it. .-.
I know it's not the best or anywhere close but there's so little selection here and I'm assuming the stuff we usually get ran out.
The carefresh is actually relatively new here, I'm in a small town.

Anyhow I have no idea, I just thought perhaps somebody would know.
I just want to have some sort of idea of what to expect with the little ones.

Actually this wasn't all that accidental. I got the male a few weeks ago planning to breed and it happened within two days.
I didn't expect it to be so soon however but that is the main reason he was bought. c:
Anyway I actually plan to keep all nine of them, well if they all survive. She just had the babies about 7-8 hours ago.
I may give one to each of my sisters but it's rather doubtful. l:
I kind of consider them my children.

edit: I am new here, I didn't even realize there was a pets forum till an hour and a half ago. [:
Prince Charmant

Well quite honestly usually we buy these other shavings but I didn't go with my father to buy shavings so I had to just deal with it. .-.
I know it's not the best or anywhere close but there's so little selection here and I'm assuming the stuff we usually get ran out.
The carefresh is actually relatively new here, I'm in a small town.

Anyhow I have no idea, I just thought perhaps somebody would know.
I just want to have some sort of idea of what to expect with the little ones.

Actually this wasn't all that accidental. I got the male a few weeks ago planning to breed and it happened within two days.
I didn't expect it to be so soon however but that is the main reason he was bought. c:
Anyway I actually plan to keep all nine of them, well if they all survive. She just had the babies about 7-8 hours ago.
I may give one to each of my sisters but it's rather doubtful. l:
I kind of consider them my children.

edit: I am new here, I didn't even realize there was a pets forum till an hour and a half ago. [:

Sorry edited that last post on you while you were typing a response, I do that sometimes xD

I suggest just throwing out the cedar and using the carefresh and paper towels. Cedar and Pine are horrible beddings for all animals they cause respiratory problems because of the type of wood they are, and rats being particularly sensitive to that it's definitely a bad idea. If you can't regularly get carefresh there's some other options such as Aspen or natural things like fleece.

So you were breeding so you could keep them? May I ask what caging set up you have for them? Also what's their diet like? Just making sure you've got all your bases covered 3nodding
(Sorry if I come off rude, I really don't mean to sweatdrop it just always seems people take it that way)

Well you found the perfect place! Not all the pets forum is reliable but us regs really try and give out good information. Any of the links on the first page offer excellent information 3nodding

[edit] Oh and by the way the reason the bedding looked familiar was because it was what I used to use before I found out how bad it was gonk

Invisible Citizen

hiysinphlay
Sorry edited that last post on you while you were typing a response, I do that sometimes xD

I suggest just throwing out the cedar and using the carefresh and paper towels. Cedar and Pine are horrible beddings for all animals they cause respiratory problems because of the type of wood they are, and rats being particularly sensitive to that it's definitely a bad idea. If you can't regularly get carefresh there's some other options such as Aspen or natural things like fleece.

So you were breeding so you could keep them? May I ask what caging set up you have for them? Also what's their diet like? Just making sure you've got all your bases covered 3nodding
(Sorry if I come off rude, I really don't mean to sweatdrop it just always seems people take it that way)

It's alright, I don't mind. d:
Considering it's 3am there's not much I can do about it now, however I'll be staying up till my father gets up for work.
I'll try to get him to go buy some new shavings after work.
Honestly I've never had much of a choice when it came to shavings, my father isn't much of the 'research' type when it comes to it.
Actually I don't think he cares anywhere close to as much about my rats like he does for our dogs.

Well, quite honestly yes. c: I absolutely adore rats, I have had them for 10+ years and have bred them before.
I've had up to 13 at a time before, not to mention another 23 pets.
Right now the male is in an aquarium that is the right size for two rats and same with the female. c:
Once the babies get bigger I'll be sexing them, getting two new cages/aquariums and putting the males with Blythe and the females will stay with Skit.
My rats get Orijen puppy food, carrots, broccoli, watermelon, very little tomato, crackers, cheerios and sometimes I'll give them a bit of a yogurt bar. o;
When it comes to the vegetables/fruit it's really whatever is in our house.
The puppy food is in the top five for best dog foods, it's not that s**t that's mainly corn. .-.

Anyway I'm not taking it that way at all. c:

Newbie Noob

Morphine Kiss
Scarbi
So uh, how do I make my ratties not hate bath time? Whenever it's time for a bath they act like I'm trying to drown them. gonk

Well, when you first taught them about bath time, how did you go about doing so?

That itself can make a difference. Building trust is important with them, Though I personally did not do what i'm about to tell you, I just started having my rats take showers with me--well that basically consists of them running around in the tub playing in the water really. Though before hand, I let them play around in the bathroom while I was in the shower or bath or whatever. Sort of let them know it was okay, I guess.

Some things you can try;
Get a paint pan (You know the sort with the slope?) and fill it with water, and get their favorite treat that won't dissolve in water, and lead it into the deep part. See if they'll follow it in. Once they're readily able to do this; you can move to the next thing...

A shallow dish, or tub of sorts, with treats they can fish in BUT if they get scared, easily leave

And then move onto the bath tub or sink, whichever you use to give them a bath in. You can give them treats in it first, to get them use to the idea. Give a super special treat afterwards too, or maybe their favorite vegetable entree afterwards even xD Anything to make them feel comfortable about the bath they just had.

Put toys in their bath, too. Give them a platform they can get on. make bath time more than just a get clean time, make it water time fun.

Thanks so much! Their first experience with water was basically me dunking them in a tub with 3-5 inches of water, assuming they would love it. xD;;; I will try out some of this stuff instead.
awesome i found a thread about rats , I own a rat, and sadly i got im from a petstore since there arnt anybreeders in my area and hes a happy fella he loves shoulder surfing and playing with his toys and his friend :3
he loves to cuddle and is just the friendliest baby ever <3
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Little chef
we both thank you for all the wonderfull information
Hello zombeh
awesome i found a thread about rats , I own a rat, and sadly i got im from a petstore since there arnt anybreeders in my area and hes a happy fella he loves shoulder surfing and playing with his toys and his friend :3
he loves to cuddle and is just the friendliest baby ever <3
-snip-
Little chef
we both thank you for all the wonderfull information

Well you know sometimes there's nothing wrong with buying from a pet shop, and if it's your only option then it's your only option lol. I mean, I work at a pet store and sell my rats through it, so just as an example, there are sometimes good rats. Just have to look a bit in the store and ask questions.

Do you only own one? They really do the very best/live longer in pairs or groups.
Scarbi

Thanks so much! Their first experience with water was basically me dunking them in a tub with 3-5 inches of water, assuming they would love it. xD;;; I will try out some of this stuff instead.

Haha, Stimpy's first experience was a sink with water coming down. xD he hated it, so much. But I was also in a hurry at the time, doing a million and one things as usual.

Generally too, rats will get so used to water they want to swim and what not as soon as they see water. Ned enjoys going under water even. I know a lot of people end up buying kiddy pools for their rats. Personally I don't have the room or I probably would (Hell i'd even love a kiddy pool just to go sit out in during a hot day xD)
Grymsen
Hey everyone.
So I don' think I've posted here before but I'm looking for some help.
My rat fell of the top of a shelf and has hurt her leg/foot. Its kind of purple and swollen and had a bit of blood on it but she has since licked it off. She can still put pressure on it and has been scratching herself with it so I'm pretty sure its not broken, but she is favoring it and has been limping. I've been putting ice on it to keep the swelling down and it does seem to have lessoned a bit. Is there anything else I should do or should I just keep icing it and give her time to heal?

Honestly, take her to the Vet. If it's swollen and purple that usually indicates a break.

We have traps set up in our pet shop, kill traps. One unfortunate rat got caught, but only by his leg. This leg was broken in half, but still attached, I assume by just the skin. But he was STILL trying to use it despite the pain he must have been in. It was swollen, purple, and dangly. Obviously breaks vary in types---from just a minor fracture to bone sticking through etc;.

You have been doing well by icing, though. Keep doing that until you can get the rat to a Vet.

Edit: If there IS a break and you don't get it checked out by a Vet/fixed, then infection can spread throughout the body, slow death basically. =(
Oh gosh guys, I know I really shouldn't be but, i'm excited about this new dog. Topic Here

TL;DR =
Found dog, looking for owner, if not found i'm keeping her if financially it can work out.
Pic-

I had her meet my Zeus today, and he's neutered of course, but I already called her his girlfriend. xD He ran away from her sort of like how you see little kids on a playground chase eachother when they like eachother. So I teased him with a "Zeuuuus, why aren't you playing with your girlfriend?" xDD Love it.

I've already got little plans in my head though. NEVER had a girl dog, and I was just looking in PetCo at dog outfits telling my husband "I wish we had a little girl so I could have her wear pretty dresses" and sha-bam. xD Fate much? Basically, i'm always trying to dress up Zeus in girly colors and what not, but my husband hates it =( And takes it off him. And then I get made fun of for having a "Tranny dog" but, meh, whatever. He's a cutie and doesn't know it xD

I need to make my way up to another store too that has dog collars, about 2 hours from me, that say "Princess" because I have one for Zeus that says "Prince." I think I already have an idea for a name, too----Athena.

Obviously no intention of breeding either. If she isn't spayed, i'll get her spayed as soon as I can.

And for anyone who doesn't for whatever reason know Zeus, this is Zeus

8,450 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Morphine Kiss
Grymsen
Hey everyone.
My rat fell of the top of a shelf and has hurt her leg/foot. Its kind of purple and swollen and had a bit of blood on it but she has since licked it off. She can still put pressure on it and has been scratching herself with it so I'm pretty sure its not broken, but she is favoring it and has been limping. I've been putting ice on it to keep the swelling down and it does seem to have lessoned a bit. Is there anything else I should do or should I just keep icing it and give her time to heal?

Honestly, take her to the Vet. If it's swollen and purple that usually indicates a break.

We have traps set up in our pet shop, kill traps. One unfortunate rat got caught, but only by his leg. This leg was broken in half, but still attached, I assume by just the skin. But he was STILL trying to use it despite the pain he must have been in. It was swollen, purple, and dangly. Obviously breaks vary in types---from just a minor fracture to bone sticking through etc;.

You have been doing well by icing, though. Keep doing that until you can get the rat to a Vet.

Edit: If there IS a break and you don't get it checked out by a Vet/fixed, then infection can spread throughout the body, slow death basically. =(

Thanks for the tip. The swelling seems to have gone down a lot now and its not purple anymore. It looks like she might have scraped off some skin on her leg but it seems to be healing fast. Shes been running around on it and jumping so I doubt its broken. I've been icing it every day and she actually seems to be almost healed. Do all vets look at small animals? Or do some vets just deal with bigger animals like dogs and cats?
Grymsen
Morphine Kiss
Grymsen
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the tip. The swelling seems to have gone down a lot now and its not purple anymore. It looks like she might have scraped off some skin on her leg but it seems to be healing fast. Shes been running around on it and jumping so I doubt its broken. I've been icing it every day and she actually seems to be almost healed. Do all vets look at small animals? Or do some vets just deal with bigger animals like dogs and cats?

Well, it depends on the vet.
There's ones that look at ALL animals, some that look at large farm animals, and some that look at only exotics, and so on. Exotics being small pets like Rats of course.

I would still have a Vet check it out juuuust in case. After watching that rat in the shop still try to use his leg/run around and do normal routines.It never hurts for a vet checkup anyhow of course =3

Just for a price reference, it's 30 dollars for the visit here, which is the examine fee, but there's added onto that medication of course. And if they do x-rays, that's another ballfield i've never experienced.

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Alright folks, I am in need of advice once again! xD The vet suggested that I get Maurice and Circe spayed the last time I came in, as it would reduce the likelihood of them getting tumors. The questions I have are these:

1) Does anyone know the approximate cost of getting a rat spayed? I'd like to know so that I can possibly save up funds. Edit: I live in Canada, so if anyone knows how much it would cost up here, it would be preferred.

2) How beneficial is it to have a rat spayed? Does it greatly reduce the likelihood of getting other health problems? And are there any other benefits?
Impy Kun
Alright folks, I am in need of advice once again! xD The vet suggested that I get Maurice and Circe spayed the last time I came in, as it would reduce the likelihood of them getting tumors. The questions I have are these:

1) Does anyone know the approximate cost of getting a rat spayed? I'd like to know so that I can possibly save up funds.

2) How beneficial is it to have a rat spayed? Does it greatly reduce the likelihood of getting other health problems? And are there any other benefits?

Price depends on the Vet. The vet here charges 60-80 dollars for neuter/spay in small animals--exotic small animals. I'm sure if my other Vet did it too, it'd be even more though, they charge a lot for just dogs and cats. xD

As far as it being beneficial yes, it is. Tumors in general are very common as i'm sure you know, with rats. You spend your 60-80 (or more) now and you may not spend 500-1000 later trying to get the rat fixed by whatever means the Vet decides to go with, or worse with euthanasia. Mammary and Uterine tumors are common in females which, spaying reduces greatly. I'm actually honestly surprised the doc even mentioned spaying, most don't any more because "it's just a rat" basically.

Don't quote me on this but, one vet told me it reduces possible urinary tract infections. Not sure how/why, but that's what I was told.

Newbie Noob

Zeus is the cutest freaking fuzzball EVER.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff