Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Morphine Kiss
Utonagan
Hey guys, remember me? I'm the one whose roommate threw my little girl in her brother's cage and got impregnated. Well, she went into labor last night... and passed away. I walked in near the end right as she passed her sixth one. The pup was cold.. stillborn.. and she was so cold and still herself. There were pups still inside..

We're burying her today on our farm property with her pups.

God I miss her.. She was so young. It's not fair. My roommate killed my baby girl..
Oh my Gosh i'm so freaking sorry. D: How old was your rat? Just curious because sometimes that has a lot to do with things, the age. If it is a certain age and hasn't been bred it's similar to guinea pigs in that they can't pass the babies properly, if it's too young it's just laborous. Anyhow, I hope you're giving your room mate total hell =/ If it counts for anything and I was around, I would have found a foster Mom for you so you'd at least have a pup out of it =(

I do remember you xD I have been thinking about when you'd be coming back in the thread, if not to talk about rat babies but to talk about your own!!! Such a darn cutie in that sig!

She was only a baby herself.. Three or so months old. We got them right when they were weaned in the pet shop. Actually, I was there the day before when they were getting them weaned. She was so little back then. I still have pictures..

It had to be her age. She had to be too young. Her tummy was so big. Her sides just bulging. I knew something was wrong when I saw the bloody discharge around two in the afternoon yesterday but no pups were coming until about four in the morning last night. She was so slow in her movement, in drinking, in breathing. She was too tired to even clean her babies off. They were still in their sacs.

We just finished burying her and her babies. I miss her so much already..

My roommate did love her too and she's just been bawling and apologizing, but I just can't find it in myself to forgive her. I don't know if I can be the bigger person right now because I am really concerned for Rio's sister, Tweak. The poor girl is so distraught now without Rio in there. She's not eating her food nor is she moving much herself. She just stays in the corner of the cage and sleeps. I've been holding her more and more.. What am I going to do now? I don't think I could just get another rat right now, but I'm concerned for her emotional state and how social she was with her sister. She may retaliate against a new rat.

Hehe, and thanks. He's gotten so much bigger than that picture! That picture was from the same day he was born. Now the little guy is eleven pounds and twenty-two and a half inches in length! He's getting so big and learning how to crawl already. He gets the concept. He's just being a booger about it. xD
Utonagan
Morphine Kiss
Utonagan
Hey guys, remember me? I'm the one whose roommate threw my little girl in her brother's cage and got impregnated. Well, she went into labor last night... and passed away. I walked in near the end right as she passed her sixth one. The pup was cold.. stillborn.. and she was so cold and still herself. There were pups still inside..

God I miss her.. She was so young. It's not fair. My roommate killed my baby girl..
Oh my Gosh i'm so freaking sorry. D: How old was your rat? Just curious because sometimes that has a lot to do with things, the age. If it is a certain age and hasn't been bred it's similar to guinea pigs in that they can't pass the babies properly, if it's too young it's just laborous. Anyhow, I hope you're giving your room mate total hell =/ If it counts for anything and I was around, I would have found a foster Mom for you so you'd at least have a pup out of it =(

I do remember you xD I have been thinking about when you'd be coming back in the thread, if not to talk about rat babies but to talk about your own!!! Such a darn cutie in that sig!

She was only a baby herself.. Three or so months old. We got them right when they were weaned in the pet shop. Actually, I was there the day before when they were getting them weaned. She was so little back then. I still have pictures..

It had to be her age. She had to be too young. Her tummy was so big. Her sides just bulging. I knew something was wrong when I saw the bloody discharge around two in the afternoon yesterday but no pups were coming until about four in the morning last night. She was so slow in her movement, in drinking, in breathing. She was too tired to even clean her babies off. They were still in their sacs.

My roommate did love her too and she's just been bawling and apologizing, but I just can't find it in myself to forgive her. I don't know if I can be the bigger person right now because I am really concerned for Rio's sister, Tweak. The poor girl is so distraught now without Rio in there. She's not eating her food nor is she moving much herself. She just stays in the corner of the cage and sleeps. I've been holding her more and more.. What am I going to do now? I don't think I could just get another rat right now, but I'm concerned for her emotional state and how social she was with her sister. She may retaliate against a new rat.

Hehe, and thanks. He's gotten so much bigger than that picture! That picture was from the same day he was born. Now the little guy is eleven pounds and twenty-two and a half inches in length! He's getting so big and learning how to crawl already. He gets the concept. He's just being a booger about it. xD

Tweak isn't pregnant, right? I know there was a bit of worry there.

To my experience the blood plug can come out anytime about 24 hours before birth. In rare cases, 48 hours. It gets gooier towards birth time. Really there was no way for you to do much, though, because the allotted amount of time -should- be rather normal. The only give off would be that she was lethargic, and even then unless you've got a very good Vet, a C-Section can be just as fatal as birthing. Really though I guess it's not that you need a good Vet, you just need a Rat with a lot of life push similar to humans. And really for all you know it could have been something they couldn't fix---Rats can get aneurisms similar to humans, among other things. I'll assume she was going to have a rather large litter, though.

Though she was pretty young, too. It is risky when they are young for the same reason it's risky with humans, the rat is still growing.

Tweak is going through normal stages of depression, just like you basically. Give her extra out time as you are and spend time with her. Maybe take her outside if you can even. I don't think you'd have a problem in getting a new rat but, i'd recommend a young rat. Just weaned as you got Tweak an Rio before, because it's easier to introduce a young to an older than it is of the same age. The other recommendation I have is to quarantine a new rat about a month if you can. This lets bacteria filter out of the system and allows you to switch over to the brand of food you use.

I can't believe how fast babies grow! (Humans xD) I mean, it seems like everytime someone has one the next thing I know it's crawling or walking or twice it's size already. I'm just thinking "Seriously, they grow THAT fast?" Someone I know had a baby about this time last year and I went to see it in the hospital and it's already walking and talks a little and goodness, has the most curly black long hair ever. Everyone having babies gives me baby fever. xD I keep going from "I want a baby" to "I don't want a baby right now" because I know I can't really take care of one, don't have the means, and i've got a lot to do before having a baby. But really, I just feel like i'm missing out or something. So i've taken up a new hobby: Live plants. xDD

Feel free to spam about cute baby pictures. <3 I'm sure i'm not the only one who loves babies o.o
Utonagan

Ohmygod I'm so sorry, that's absolutely horrible! gonk I really f-ing hate your roommate -.-'

What happened with the other girl did she end up being pregnant too? (sorry if you've already updated about this and I missed it sweatdrop )
Morphine Kiss

You only can hold love for Evil Kitty as you do not have to live in fear of her...xD Nah I love that cat. Wish she wasn't so evil though. I'm getting Kitty Nail Caps though so the claws won't be such a fear any more. Not that they bug me it's just that I don't like being scratched.

Oh man, you know, I don't know if i've told this story yet but...xD I had a rabbit once. A baby rabbit. A small, baby, rabbit. Wild from the outside. I was probably 10? But my cat caught it and brought it to me still alive. So I sat up a big storage bin tote with some towels and grass in there, and even put a rabbit pelt in that I had because I collected Rabbit Pelts (Morbid, right?) Well anyhow, I came home from school one day and was going to go upstairs to m room only to discover I left the stairwell door open. As I walked upstairs I saw little trails of fur and followed it to anothe room upstairs where I found some leftover guts...D: It's like I set up a nice dining area for my cat. The cat even had a tuft of hair on him when I found the cat. Such a sad day. Needless to say, I shouldn't have been catching wild things. xD

I believe you on working with Doby, and being younger it's not like you were on a computer researching or even could take the time that you now could do in theory to socialize it. And i'll tell you, some dwarf hamsters can not be socialized with humans very properly. That's from experience. Especially Robos. I like to call them the fish of the fuzzy pet world, as most owners get them more as to watch rather than to play with due to their small size and fast little legs and ability to escape and never come back.

I don't blame ya on the being scratched, if my cats already didn't have to be declawed for my lease I would have gotten caps for Erik, he was a little terror before he was declawed. One time he managed to get his claw in Oroeo's nose I was so worried because he was bleeding quite a bit from it. x.x

Ohmygosh! That same thing happened to me too! My cat Blacky brought home a still living baby rabbit and we took it away from him, I stayed up with it all night rubbing it and trying to get it to come back. And in the morning he had come out of the shock of it! I was so excited I named him Rocket he was doing so well starting to eat and everything, but one morning before school my parents had to tell me that Blacky had gotten ahold of him, all that was left was a leg. It was horrible.

It's good to hear that there may have been nothing I could have done, because that sure was the way it felt back then. But yeah now that I think of it he was fun to watch ^^ plus I had Santa who loved me so I got lucky there.

Romantic Lunatic

Thanks for the thread! I'll keep an eye on it and subscribe in the event I do get a pair of rats!
biggrin
Aellos
Thanks for the thread! I'll keep an eye on it and subscribe in the event I do get a pair of rats!
biggrin

Hi there! I just posted on your thread ^^;; didn't see you'd already arrived here :3 Well we welcome you with open arms! I wish there were more people out there who could see how wonderful rats are ^-^

Newbie Noob

Newbie Noob

Utonagan
Morphine Kiss
Utonagan

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. sad Hopefully you can forgive your roommate. Hanging on to negative feelings hurts you more than it hurts anyone (I know from experience).
Scarbi

So cute! Do you have a breeder website? Or do you breed for your snakes? (I noticed your signature)

Newbie Noob

BlenderPie
Scarbi

So cute! Do you have a breeder website? Or do you breed for your snakes? (I noticed your signature)

I breed mainly for my snakes, but I choose my breeders based on health and personality, since they become my pets. heart I love rats too much to just treat them like livestock. sweatdrop
Scarbi
BlenderPie
Scarbi

I breed mainly for my snakes, but I choose my breeders based on health and personality, since they become my pets. heart I love rats too much to just treat them like livestock. sweatdrop

I'm glad that you treat your breeders well c: How many do you have? Do you mind if I ask their ages and number of litters?

Romantic Lunatic

Scarbi
Utonagan
Morphine Kiss
Utonagan

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. sad Hopefully you can forgive your roommate. Hanging on to negative feelings hurts you more than it hurts anyone (I know from experience).

That's horrible...at least your roommate is feeling remorse. Most people I know wouldn't care.

Romantic Lunatic

Okay- my fiancee is on board for a pair of female rats- so more research and finding a way to make a cage.

I want to double check on this one- we're choosing rats over cavies because of their cages. While I know they both need about the same space, I'm reading several times that rats can have stacked cages where the square footage is higher while cavies need a longer flatter cage.
Is the correct? If so that'd be great because we can do the stacked cage. biggrin

EDIT: And as I've told the girls who directed me to this thread- I'm not getting them until I've done adaquate research and have saved up the money again for them. We're JUST now moving out, so we're simply in the "We need something cuddly, but something we don't have to pay the pet deposit with." stage.

Newbie Noob

BlenderPie
Scarbi
BlenderPie
Scarbi

I'm glad that you treat your breeders well c: How many do you have? Do you mind if I ask their ages and number of litters?

Let's see...

I have my two males, Algernon (albino) who is about 6 months old, and James (cream hooded) who is about 2 months old. James isn't an active breeder yet, though.

My females are Bailey (agouti hooded) 1 year old, Peach (blue hooded) 5 months, Tinkerbelle (blue berkshire) 5 months, Miku (black berkshire) 2 months, and Luka (agouti hooded) 2 months. Miku and Luka aren't active breeders.

Bailey has had one litter, Tinkerbelle is due to give birth to her first litter in a few days, and Peach was just recently bred to Algernon.

I didn't name Bailey, Peach, or Tinkerbelle. I adopted them and just kept the names they already had. sweatdrop

I'd love to get into breeding Siamese colored rats. That is by FAR my favorite coloring, but I believe it's a recessive gene. If I started breeding Siamese I'd probably put them up for adoption as pets before using them as feeders.

Newbie Noob

Aellos
Okay- my fiancee is on board for a pair of female rats- so more research and finding a way to make a cage.

I want to double check on this one- we're choosing rats over cavies because of their cages. While I know they both need about the same space, I'm reading several times that rats can have stacked cages where the square footage is higher while cavies need a longer flatter cage.
Is the correct? If so that'd be great because we can do the stacked cage. biggrin

EDIT: And as I've told the girls who directed me to this thread- I'm not getting them until I've done adaquate research and have saved up the money again for them. We're JUST now moving out, so we're simply in the "We need something cuddly, but something we don't have to pay the pet deposit with." stage.

Rats LOVE climbing, so a stacked cage would be happy. smile Make sure if it has wire platforms that you cover those up, as the wire can cause bumblefoot in the rats. I really like the cage I have, because it has plastic platforms and ladders that are easy on the rat feet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff