Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wrathful Vampire

I think its a brilliant idea ^w^ I haven't thought of a bank but i was wondering how i could actually try to save my gaia gold. I have a habit of spending with out paying attention. This would probably help curb that lol -hands over a cookie-

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
First, you can pretty much use a mule for that kind of thing, to hide your 'money'.
Second, your fault for spending money, and you can get encouraged by people, not by a bank.
Third, no.3 is pretty much like 1 -_-; who would hack a noob?

And ofcourse, Last, it is not a bank if it has no interests. and dont say its because it will ruin the money, when pretty much getting money is pretty much buying GC, waste it on some EI or CI and sell it all. bam, millions made. the reason there is no interest is because gaia wants to make everyone 'BUY' it with real money. Some games dont even have a point when the boring ones only gives out small ammount of money and the fun ones that just came from facebook only gives AIR.

Codger

Joshua Kurayami
First, you can pretty much use a mule for that kind of thing, to hide your 'money'.

Frankly, I don't, and never have, understood this line of reasoning. I've answered this fallacy in my main thread in SF, but to put it another way, let's go with a hypothetical reality. In this reality, everyone only takes cash as payment. No checks/cheques, no debit/credit cards, just cash. Because of this, everyone carries all their money with them at all times. (Sound familiar?) In this reality, people are constantly complaining about what a pain in the a** this is, and to make it even more of a pain in the a** (even though the chances are slim), getting mugged means you lose your life savings.

And then someone comes along with a brilliant idea! A bank! A place where you can store your money without always having to have it with you! Still, there are no checks/cheques or debit/credit cards, but that's ok. People are just happy to not have to carry around their life savings at all times.

But, strangely, there's a minority of people, somewhere between 5%-20% of the population (they only ever post their thoughts anonymously, so no one knows for sure how many people are in this minority), who scoff at the idea of using a bank. "Give your money to a friend and have them hold it for you!" they cry, not realizing that this is no safer than the original system.

Absurd, isn't it? This is the system we have on gaia right now.

Quote:
Second, your fault for spending money, and you can get encouraged by people, not by a bank.

Strange, but I have no issue with not spending myself. I regularly have several million on hand. Other people, on the other hand, need better tools than simply not spending their currency if they want to save for something. This is why we have savings accounts, 401k's, and any number of other financial plans in the real world, so that people can save money. Considering the size of gaia's economy, it's just as absurd to say people shouldn't spend their gold as it is to say we don't need a bank.

Quote:

Because n00bs are the easiest to phish. (See what I did there? Corrected your assumption. Hacking is extremely rare, and real hackers wouldn't waste their time with gaia.)

Quote:
And ofcourse, Last, it is not a bank if it has no interests. and dont say its because it will ruin the money, when pretty much getting money is pretty much buying GC, waste it on some EI or CI and sell it all. bam, millions made. the reason there is no interest is because gaia wants to make everyone 'BUY' it with real money. Some games dont even have a point when the boring ones only gives out small ammount of money and the fun ones that just came from facebook only gives AIR.

You don't understand how the site's economy even works, do you?

Demonic Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
Endrael
Joshua Kurayami

Frankly, I don't, and never have, understood this line of reasoning. I've answered this fallacy in my main thread in SF, but to put it another way, let's go with a hypothetical reality. In this reality, everyone only takes cash as payment. No checks/cheques, no debit/credit cards, just cash. Because of this, everyone carries all their money with them at all times. (Sound familiar?) In this reality, people are constantly complaining about what a pain in the a** this is, and to make it even more of a pain in the a** (even though the chances are slim), getting mugged means you lose your life savings.

And then someone comes along with a brilliant idea! A bank! A place where you can store your money without always having to have it with you! Still, there are no checks/cheques or debit/credit cards, but that's ok. People are just happy to not have to carry around their life savings at all times.

But, strangely, there's a minority of people, somewhere between 5%-20% of the population (they only ever post their thoughts anonymously, so no one knows for sure how many people are in this minority), who scoff at the idea of using a bank. "Give your money to a friend and have them hold it for you!" they cry, not realizing that this is no safer than the original system.

Absurd, isn't it? This is the system we have on gaia right now.

Quote:

Strange, but I have no issue with not spending myself. I regularly have several million on hand. Other people, on the other hand, need better tools than simply not spending their currency if they want to save for something. This is why we have savings accounts, 401k's, and any number of other financial plans in the real world, so that people can save money. Considering the size of gaia's economy, it's just as absurd to say people shouldn't spend their gold as it is to say we don't need a bank.

Quote:

Because n00bs are the easiest to phish. (See what I did there? Corrected your assumption. Hacking is extremely rare, and real hackers wouldn't waste their time with gaia.)

Quote:

You don't understand how the site's economy even works, do you?

1) this is gaia, not real life. in real life you can pretty much hide your money somewhere where its the least searched.
2) not everyone has the spending problem, but some might want something quickly when they have money, to have a quick change.
3) 'phishing: a scam by which an e-mail user is duped into revealing personal or confidential information which the scammer can use illicitly'. its also known as scamming with links. nobody else is going to control your own mule. so thats actually the owner of the mule's problem.
4) maybe not much, but its pretty much like a free-market. but not alot of people have anything to sell, not good at it, or anything like that. some people who can buy gaia cash can make money easily by just buying evolving items and sell them after a few weeks of evolvution.

Codger

Joshua Kurayami
1) this is gaia, not real life. in real life you can pretty much hide your money somewhere where its the least searched.
2) not everyone has the spending problem, but some might want something quickly when they have money, to have a quick change.
3) 'phishing: a scam by which an e-mail user is duped into revealing personal or confidential information which the scammer can use illicitly'. its also known as scamming with links. nobody else is going to control your own mule. so thats actually the owner of the mule's problem.
4) maybe not much, but its pretty much like a free-market. but not alot of people have anything to sell, not good at it, or anything like that. some people who can buy gaia cash can make money easily by just buying evolving items and sell them after a few weeks of evolvution.

1. Obviously you're not good with understanding analogy and metaphor, either.

2. If they want to pull some of their gold from a bank, it wouldn't take long, a few seconds at most. Try again?

3. While I generally dislike the argument because it's often used ad hominem, in this instance I imagine it's appropriate: If someone is incompetent enough to give someone else their password, they're going to do so with a mule account, as well. This is not an argument against having a bank feature, however, despite how often it comes up. It's an argument attempting to discredit the idea by pointing out people's invariable stupidity, which is going to hold true regardless of whether or not we have a bank feature. If we were to stop doing things because people are stupid, nothing would get done, which makes the argument entirely unrelated to the merits of having an actual bank feature. Stop using it.

4. As a cash user myself, yes, I will agree that it makes it very easy to gain gold, but cash items do not bring gold into the system, barring some few exceptions (RIG fail items that are sold for their sellback value rather than being vended, for example). This means cash items are deflationary, meaning they actually make the overall value of all items more affordable because they sink gold out of the economy every time they're sold in the market. This raises the value of the gold left in the system by making it able to buy more items.

Before I started vending cash items, however, I vended purely from the market (selling trash from towns/fishing and buying/flipping items), and was able to gain quite a lot of gold doing so (bought an angelic pendant doing this, back when they were 2 mil and gold was much more difficult to earn; took me a year once I got serious about getting one). This does not mean that it is the only way to gain gold, and, as I've stated elsewhere in the thread, there are innumerable other methods for doing so that don't involve vending or games. As such, gold is not difficult to acquire if you put in the effort to do so. Gaia's site economy is considerably more complex than just buying/selling stuff in the market, even if that's what most people see of it, so to assume that you have to participate in the market as a vendor misses a sizable portion of the methods available for earning gold.

Having a bank feature would allow users to exert (at least personal) control over what is, most of the time, a confusing and frustrating system.
you got my cookie smile

Friendly Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Millionaire 200
It would be great if we could have a Safety Deposit Box for items, like Neopets does (yes, I still go on sometimes. What can I say, Turmac Roll is great), but perhaps not for unlimited items like my example, but 3 or 5, or maybe you unlock slots like for the outfits, but yeah your most epic items can be password protected.
But with the PINs, we should have double security questions in case people's emails get hacked, etc (I'm fairly paranoid about having any account on any website being hacked)

But even just the bank is a great idea, no interest necessary, but it'd be nice whee

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
'If you ask,
You will never know.
If you know,
You only have to ask.'

Springtime Gawker

10,225 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I've been wanting a bank for a quite long time. I agree that It should be Interest Free, Mainly I just like the idea of being able to put the gold away and still have access to it on the same account.

Having to use a second account as a bank is to risky, Because of the amount of trading back and fourth, and the fact that since it is not my main, and does not have consistent activity, Its at vulnerable for hacking, Or simply being reported just for the amount of money or items on the account.

I really hope that Gaia does take this into consideration and create this. And I do hope as well as they take there time on it, And make sure is a high quality thing being put out. Because I dont want to be using it when it comes out, And learn later on that I lost things because of a glitch or a bug and I won't be reimbursed for it.

Desirable Dabbler

*Gives you a cookie* ._.

Romantic Vampire

15,625 Points
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Hellraiser 500
heart heart heart heart heart
This thread makes me want to rejoin Neopets gonk But with the accursed clothing thing, nevermind >.>

Cookie'd. With all of my friends getting hacked, and me a couple times, with no loss due to quick reaction and all dat, a PIN Bank would be great. Also. ON SCREEN CLICKING. NOT KEYBOARD NUMBERPAD PIN. That would defeat the purpose entirely! But I digress.

Gaia. Do it noaw.

Magical Warlord

62,075 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Novice Dungeon Explorer 50
  • The Ring: Vol2 Master Collector 250
/gives a cookie/

Dedicated Lover

have a cookie :3

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500