Welcome to Gaia! ::

Was the Apple actually an euphemism for Sex?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on November 25, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Naoko_Kensaku
Recently while having a discussion about civil marriage for gays in the ED forum, someone mentioned that the apple in abovesaid Bible is actually Sex.

Now, I for one, do not believe him. He said that they 'dressed' the apple up because it was not suitable. However, when you think about it this doesn't make sense because there are so many other books in the Bible that not only deal with sex, but refers to it explicitly. The Songs of Solomon is one example.

I just wanted to know what you believe the Apple was. I believe it was what it was, literally, with the exception that it was not physical death, but spiritual (referring to what someone else said in another thread)

No flames please, and pardon me if I take some time to answer... Connection is off.

The Apple of Kwnoledge is a metaphor for intelligence. The snake is a metaphor as well, likely very similar to the one we use today. Supposing the bible, especially the Old Testament, isn't a work of fiction, do you really think that God would create a mate for Adam and then tell them they couldn't breed? That's not very logical.
umm wow this topic is... different.

any way I believe that the Bible just said what it meant and meant what it said.
I mean if God did'nt like sex why would song of solomon be in His book?
I think that there was simply two super trees one which would give them immortallity and one that would bring death.
No, sex is a consecrated act when in inside the sacrament of marriage. Sex is so good, God had to be a part of it! xd
The apple is a symbol for disobedience. Adam and Eve put themselves above God's commands, thereby putting themselves above God. That's all sin is really: putting yourself in a higher position than God.
Quote:
No, sex is a consecrated act when in inside the sacrament of marriage. Sex is so good, God had to be a part of it!

Well yeah i was'nt disagreeing with this fact at all
iwas just saying that the friut of the tree of knowledge was'nt sex
Hmmm, well I'm sure the knowledge of sex was in the apple ... I mean, if Adam and Eve were completely innocent then they'd need that information to have children, right? But I don't think the whole thing is a cover.
I've always thought it just meant coming into maturity/coming into adulthood. I guess I can sort of understand where people get the sex idea, but it's unrealistic that it would be hidden while in other parts of the bible sex is talked about openly.
I suppose in a way it could because the apple was the gift of knowledge and when Adam and Eve bit the apple they got a majority of things about the earth they should have never known,basically to me God was keeping them as innonent as a baby. But I'm confused according to the apple being about sex,that would means He only wanted two humans. So,I doubt it was about that.
Now I remember,the sin was thinking you could be higher then god and disobedience. Because of all the bibles, I read Satan or Jezebel urged them to eat the apple which they said made you stronger then god. Being the trickster he is the devil managed to get them to eat it. So the person who said something about disobedience I agree with you.

2,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
ok...the apple was something you were not sposed to have right? well, in what part of the bible does it say sex is wrong? it may say that
-premarrital relations
-adultery
-homosexual sex
-rape
-insest
are wrong, but in no part of the bible does it say sex within marrige is wrong. i do not see why anyone would think that the apple means sex.

it think it in itself is not nessicaroly a sin. i think that it is just the fact that they disobay-ed god was the part that was bad. it was pandoras box and all of the other sins came from that first sin of disobaying god. this had nothing to do with sex.
sweatdrop News flash: the forbidden fruit wasn't an apple.
I don't think the "apple" was sex, really. I think it's just what its name implies: the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is just that, the knowledge of good and evil. Before the introduction of Satan in the form of the Serpent, Adam and Eve were absolutely pure, unsullied by sin (and thus, death). The knowledge of the existence of good and evil (not produced by the fruit itself, but caused by the act of disobeying God's commandment) is just that, knowing that there is GOOD on the one hand, and EVIL on the other, and knowing that there is a choice between the two, the very essence of the loss of innocence.

~Katja

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Katja_Ka
I don't think the "apple" was sex, really. I think it's just what its name implies: the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is just that, the knowledge of good and evil. Before the introduction of Satan in the form of the Serpent, Adam and Eve were absolutely pure, unsullied by sin (and thus, death). The knowledge of the existence of good and evil (not produced by the fruit itself, but caused by the act of disobeying God's commandment) is just that, knowing that there is GOOD on the one hand, and EVIL on the other, and knowing that there is a choice between the two, the very essence of the loss of innocence.

~Katja

Thank you.

Oh, and the thing about the apple was merely a reference point. Thanks for those who pointed it out.
I was always taught that the "fruit" was really "the fruit of knowledge of good and evil"
DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES
A frute of some kind I think it was.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas