Welcome to Gaia! ::

Was the Apple actually an euphemism for Sex?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on November 25, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 >

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Recently while having a discussion about civil marriage for gays in the ED forum, someone mentioned that the apple in abovesaid Bible is actually Sex.

Now, I for one, do not believe him. He said that they 'dressed' the apple up because it was not suitable. However, when you think about it this doesn't make sense because there are so many other books in the Bible that not only deal with sex, but refers to it explicitly. The Songs of Solomon is one example.

I just wanted to know what you believe the Apple was. I believe it was what it was, literally, with the exception that it was not physical death, but spiritual (referring to what someone else said in another thread)

No flames please, and pardon me if I take some time to answer... Connection is off.
Considering the amount of sex in other parts of the book of Genesis, claiming that sex was the 'apple' but was censored seems a bit disingenuous to me. Methinks whoever came up with that theory watched 'The End of Sexual Innocence' once too often. sweatdrop

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Meghan Mitsumi
Considering the amount of sex in other parts of the book of Genesis, claiming that sex was the 'apple' but was censored seems a bit disingenuous to me.
Methinks whoever came up with that theory watched 'The End of Sexual Innocence' once too often. sweatdrop

So what did you think the Apple was? (Please don't tell me it's an ad for Macs, I'd throw out my Bible, and I *like* my Bible) blaugh
If you're talking about the "apple" from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, I would like to say that the word "apple" is never brought up.
I agree with Meghan...why give a hidden meaning to the apple in Genesis when sex is openly talked about in other parts of the Bible? sweatdrop

I believe that the apple was not exactly an apple (in the Bible it never refers to it as an actual apple, but the "fruit of knowledge"...it was something like that but I'm too lazy to get out my Bible right now.) So, I believe what they meant it to be was literal like you do. It was a fruit that gave Adam and Eve this awareness (they realized and became ashamed of their nudity...blah blah) and took away their innocence and divine grace.

Fashionable Genius

Yeah. It was fruit. And the knowledge was of "wrong" and "right." That's why it was a sin, because until then, they had been ignorant of the difference.
Naoko_Kensaku
So what did you think the Apple was? (Please don't tell me it's an ad for Macs, I'd throw out my Bible, and I *like* my Bible) blaugh

Who knows? Who says it has to be anything?
It could be a literal fruit, but more than likely it was simple disobedience.

It wasn't the eating of the fruit that was bad. It wasn't the fruit itself that was bad.
It was the act of disobeying God that resulted in sin.
There actually is a case for this... not so much "The apple was sex" but more "the apple represents sexual awareness/puberty." It takes a reading of psychological symbolism into Genesis 2-3 to get that, but it's not an interpretation that's too far gone.

It goes something like this:

Before the fruit incedent, Adam and Eve lived in paradise without knowledge of "good and evil" and were, effectively, immortal. They were also curious as to their enviroment. This is a rather apt description of the human mind's understanding prior to puberty.

So... a "snake" approaches Eve and tricks her into biting the "fruit." She then gives the fruit to Adam who bites it as well.

Adam and Eve become self-conscious. They know good from evil. They are then unceremoniously stripped of their immortality and their paradise.

Note that puberty, on average, hits girls before it hits boys. And it is durring puberty that children awaken to the reality that life is not paradise and that they are NOT immortal - especially in the ancient world. And it is durring puberty that the sex-drive awakens. The association with gentailia and snakes or pieces of fruit dates back at least to Egypt and continues to the modern day ("one-eyed snake" and "cherry" wink

Note also that it is only AFTER the fruit that Eve actually gets a name. Before she was just "woman," but now she's Eve ("life-bringer" wink - ergo, it's only AFTER that they consider a reproductive role.

So it does, after a fashion, make sense. But then, the nice thing about stories in the Bible is they work on many levels.
Heh. I suppose the p***s could be the 'tree in the center of the garden.'
By 'eating of it's fruit' Eve came into sexual awareness. xd
I should've known that this thread was going to get somewhere about that. sweatdrop xd

Fashionable Genius

Theopneustos
I should've known that this thread was going to get somewhere about that. sweatdrop xd
It just makes so much sense. sweatdrop
Theopneustos

C'mon. It was a foregone conclusion.
Heh, I guess. Anyway, I'm out for the night. Later.

Oh, and I guess this puts a whole new meaning to "Mother" earth. Night all.
Meghan Mitsumi
Naoko_Kensaku

Who knows? Who says it has to be anything?
It could be a literal fruit, but more than likely it was simple disobedience.

It wasn't the eating of the fruit that was bad. It wasn't the fruit itself that was bad.
It was the act of disobeying God that resulted in sin.

Well actually that depends on what tradition of Judaism/Christianity you follow. There are in fact two main traditions concerning the story of the fall.

One tradition, like the above does see the act as disobedience to God, with the accompanying punishment.

Another tradition however presents the story of the fall as more of a coming of age tale, in which the eating of the fruit was a necessary part of man's maturity. It was scene as an act of independence, that showed God that man was ready to progress on his own, to grow, instead of remaining a sort of child.

Wikipedia
The more modern liberal branches of Jews such as Reform Judaism and Conservative Judaism sees no "evil" other than the evil actions of human beings so they disagree with Christian traditions that identify the serpent with Satan. Eve's only transgression was that she disobeyed God's order. It is also clear from the Hebrew that Adam was with her the entire time and at no time stopped her. Therefore, it is incorrect to blame Eve alone. Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden and had to live ordinary, human lives. In other words, they had to "leave home" and grow up and live as responsible human beings. If they had never eaten from the forbidden tree, they would have never discovered their capacity to act with free will in the world. And according to the Jewish tradition, God doesn't want human beings who have no choice but to always choose to do what is good and right. When Adam and Eve lived in the Garden, they were like robots, without free will. Therefore, it was actually a blessing to have been expelled! Adam and Eve were the first humans to act on their free will--and this is ultimately what God wanted!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin#Classical_Biblical_and_Orthodox_Judaism_view

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sin_gene.htm

For example, according to the more "liberal" interpretation, the snake is not satan; just a smart snake. The fall is a necessary part of Gods plan to give man free will. The negative judgment by God is considered harsh/unfair.

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Interesting thoughts all.

If you look at the Bible, the thoughts of Satan being the ultimate 'evil' appeared much later. In fact, in the Book of Job, the angel (forgot the term) was considered as one of the servants of God.

Thanks for that one about the puberty thing. Its food for thought. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces