Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The only one that I'm talking about.

What, you cannot even talk about this Jesus? How important can this character be to you if you expect someone else to define them? Oh well. Better luck trying to get someone else to go along with this.
So you really don't know that I'm referring to the Jesus depicted in the Bible?

It depends. Do you mean the character as depicted or the one that has other aspects embroidered onto him, like opposing abortion? See, I've run into a lot of conflicting positions on this character, so I've learned not to assume. I ask what the person I am talking to means.
*Sigh* Of all the depictions of Jesus and all the other gods that you know of do you believe that any of them exist?

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman

What, you cannot even talk about this Jesus? How important can this character be to you if you expect someone else to define them? Oh well. Better luck trying to get someone else to go along with this.

It depends. Do you mean the character as depicted or the one that has other aspects embroidered onto him, like opposing abortion? See, I've run into a lot of conflicting positions on this character, so I've learned not to assume. I ask what the person I am talking to means.
*Sigh* Of all the depictions of Jesus and all the other gods that you know of do you believe that any of them exist?

I remain unconvinced by what's been presented to me. They may? But the evidence isn't compelling my belief.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Infamy In Action
"But I'm still spiritual."
There are a ton of spiritual atheists. More than you think. Spirituality and Religion do not have to mean the same thing. Some atheists are very new-agey and believe in more than just what is physically presented to us, they just deny the god factor.

Spirituality and religiond on't have to mean different things either. Like I've tried to point out time and time again... it's a very fuzzy subject. Honestly, the biggest thing I was coming into this thread with was, "Well, you have to define what a god is before you can determine whether or not you believe in it."

Infamy In Action
"But I don't believe in nothing..."
And you don't have to. There is something much bigger than you or I and that's humanity. Mosts Atheists I know are secular humanists. They put their faith, community, and charity into the world and the people inhabiting it no strings attached. So no, "Hey, we'll build this school for your village, but remember our specific God is the only reason we're doing this." (I could rant and rant about mission trips, but later.)

Some people believe in more than that you know. Humanity even as a civilization is kind of small when you consider the bigger picture.

Infamy In Action
"But I can't PROVE that some god doesn't exist..."
If you can't find any proof for a god, but know you can't flat out deny that there may be one more than you could deny the existence of an invisible pink unicorn that silently follows you everywhere you go, you are an agnostic atheist.

If you cannot prove or disprove a claim, then the claim is not thrown out. It is merely reconsidered and revised, or left until such time as it can be proven or disproven. Nobody follows the phlogiston theory anymore. Is it because it could not be proven? No. It's because it was disproven with further knowledge on the subject. By that same token, the whole flat earth thing can be proven bullshit with photos of the earth from outer space. Or, you know, taking data from various points on the planet and doing a bit of math, like they did in the old days.

The whole "invisible pink unicorn" thing is a cute mental exercise, but it severely downplays the impact of belief in a deity (or deities), as well as the fact that, to a believer, there is an overwhelming supply of evidence. Evidence nonbelievers simply don't accept, because they share a different qualification for what serves as evidence.

I never really see enough talk about that fact.

Infamy In Action
"I don't believe, and generally couldn't care less about the debates or politics."
Hello, Apatheist! Apathetic atheists weren't fooled by the smoke and mirrors they pulled out at church and just don't care about changing minds. In my experience, most Atheists are apathetic up until someone's religious belief's impede on someone else's civil and human rights, at which point they become a Militant Atheist fighting on the front lines for change.

"Hey, this thing is just a brand of atheism! So is agnosticism! So is ignosticism! So is religion! It's all atheism! Yay we're all atheists! Now people will take my worldview seriously!"

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Xiam
Infamy In Action
There are a ton of spiritual atheists. More than you think. Spirituality and Religion do not have to mean the same thing. Some atheists are very new-agey and believe in more than just what is physically presented to us, they just deny the god factor.

Spirituality and religiond on't have to mean different things either. Like I've tried to point out time and time again... it's a very fuzzy subject. Honestly, the biggest thing I was coming into this thread with was, "Well, you have to define what a god is before you can determine whether or not you believe in it."

Infamy In Action
And you don't have to. There is something much bigger than you or I and that's humanity. Mosts Atheists I know are secular humanists. They put their faith, community, and charity into the world and the people inhabiting it no strings attached. So no, "Hey, we'll build this school for your village, but remember our specific God is the only reason we're doing this." (I could rant and rant about mission trips, but later.)

Some people believe in more than that you know. Humanity even as a civilization is kind of small when you consider the bigger picture.

Infamy In Action
If you can't find any proof for a god, but know you can't flat out deny that there may be one more than you could deny the existence of an invisible pink unicorn that silently follows you everywhere you go, you are an agnostic atheist.

If you cannot prove or disprove a claim, then the claim is not thrown out. It is merely reconsidered and revised, or left until such time as it can be proven or disproven. Nobody follows the phlogiston theory anymore. Is it because it could not be proven? No. It's because it was disproven with further knowledge on the subject. By that same token, the whole flat earth thing can be proven bullshit with photos of the earth from outer space. Or, you know, taking data from various points on the planet and doing a bit of math, like they did in the old days.

The whole "invisible pink unicorn" thing is a cute mental exercise, but it severely downplays the impact of belief in a deity (or deities), as well as the fact that, to a believer, there is an overwhelming supply of evidence. Evidence nonbelievers simply don't accept, because they share a different qualification for what serves as evidence.

Infamy In Action
"I don't believe, and generally couldn't care less about the debates or politics."
Hello, Apatheist! Apathetic atheists weren't fooled by the smoke and mirrors they pulled out at church and just don't care about changing minds. In my experience, most Atheists are apathetic up until someone's religious belief's impede on someone else's civil and human rights, at which point they become a Militant Atheist fighting on the front lines for change.

"Hey, this thing is just a brand of atheism! So is agnosticism! So is ignosticism! So is religion! It's all atheism! Yay we're all atheists! Now people will take my worldview seriously!"

For the intended audience of this thread (non-religious people) they do. So I'm giving too much credit to people assuming if they are in this forum then they know what a god is? -_-

Okay...? neutral I never said humanity was the ONLY thing to believe in if you didn't believe in god... I would ask you to expand on that thought though so that people who think atheism=nothingness know that's not true, there's humanity and the bigger picture.

Agnosticism isn't "throwing something out". What are you even disagreeing with?

Yeah, it's ******** adorable. emotion_drool It's a satirization of a deity, showing it to you from a different perspective. If anyone thinks that it downplays their god, then what does that tell you about their god?
Believer's evidence more often than not is something that has happened to them personally. You can't use your own experience as evidence for anyone else. Nonbelievers evidence (when regarding the christian god) is usually a contradiction with the physic of the world of the bible only about 2000 years ago, and the physics of today. That's something everyone can observe or test. And since physics is for the most part a constant, especially in such a short amount of time, the bullshit detectors in our brains go off (if we haven't already been taught to ignore them).

XD What are you going on about?? The point of this thread is to point out that just because you have other beliefs/stances that you may not expect to associate with atheism (btw all of which i've heard somewhere) that the bottom line is if you don't believe in a god, you are and atheist. Nearly everything you've said was an argument to something I never said in a way that I was supposed to disagree for some reason. If you disagree with the topic of the thread, STOP throwing out a bunch of straw man arguments and say so like past commenters have so that we can have a legitimate conversation.

Floppy Member

Xiam

Can you at least try not to strawman so obviously? If you would, I would merely pass by your posts.

Floppy Member

Infamy In Action
Xiam
Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

For the intended audience of this thread (non-religious people) they do. So I'm giving too much credit to people assuming if they are in this forum then they know what a god is? -_-

Okay...? neutral I never said humanity was the ONLY thing to believe in if you didn't believe in god... I would ask you to expand on that thought though so that people who think atheism=nothingness know that's not true, there's humanity and the bigger picture.

Yeah, it's ******** adorable. emotion_drool It's a satirization of a deity, showing it to you from a different perspective. If anyone thinks that it downplays their god, then what does that tell you about their god?
Believer's evidence more often than not is something that has happened to them personally. You can't use your own experience as evidence for anyone else. Nonbelievers evidence (when regarding the christian god) is usually a contradiction with the physic of the world of the bible only about 2000 years ago, and the physics of today. That's something everyone can observe or test. And since physics is for the most part a constant, especially in such a short amount of time, the bullshit detectors in our brains go off (if we haven't already been taught to ignore them).

XD What are you going on about?? The point of this thread is to point out that just because you have other beliefs/stances that you may not expect to associate with atheism (btw all of which i've heard somewhere) that the bottom line is if you don't believe in a god, you are and atheist. Nearly everything you've said was an argument to something I never said in a way that I was supposed to disagree for some reason. If you disagree with the topic of the thread, STOP throwing out a bunch of straw man arguments and say so like past commenters have so that we can have a legitimate conversation.

Xiam has a personal issue with members previously dragging him over refusal to accept his belief that agnosticism ought to be accepted as a "middle ground" position - which of course it's not - if memory serves me.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
Xiam
Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Xiam has a personal issue with members previously dragging him over refusal to accept his belief that agnosticism ought to be accepted as a "middle ground" position - which of course it's not - if memory serves me.

Ah! See, I didn't get where he stood from anything he said, few parts had anything to do with the actual subject. X(

I think I will put one of those infographics in the first post so that people will at least get the chance to inform themselves before commenting. razz

Floppy Member

Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
Xiam
Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Infamy In Action

Ah! See, I didn't get where he stood from anything he said, few parts had anything to do with the actual subject. X(

I think I will put one of those infographics in the first post so that people will at least get the chance to inform themselves before commenting. razz

It might help? But people who want to argue the point are going to argue regardless, no matter how easy we make it for them.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
Xiam

It might help? But people who want to argue the point are going to argue regardless, no matter how easy we make it for them.

I don't doubt people's persistence for a second. XD But it would make it easier for people who genuinely don't get it, or haven't heard of the difference before. :L

Floppy Member

Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
Xiam

I don't doubt people's persistence for a second. XD But it would make it easier for people who genuinely don't get it, or haven't heard of the difference before. :L

Oh certainly! I can't hurt to post it, in any event, except in that it provokes some people but I think we're all used to dealing with those types.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest

Oh certainly! I can't hurt to post it, in any event, except in that it provokes some people but I think we're all used to dealing with those types.

Provoking people is my idea of a saturday night well spent~ twisted The paragraph about agnosticism seems to start squabbles anyways, but on the bright side, we all gained a little xp from them for future reference. X)

Floppy Member

Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest

Provoking people is my idea of a saturday night well spent~ twisted The paragraph about agnosticism seems to start squabbles anyways, but on the bright side, we all gained a little xp from them for future reference. X)
I have done the agnostic argument so many times, I now have it on a word document to save time.
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman

I remain unconvinced by what's been presented to me. They may? But the evidence isn't compelling my belief.
So you believe that none of them exist?

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman

So you believe that none of them exist?

I did not say that. You're not getting your presuppositionalist foot in the door, Artie. Give it up.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest
Infamy In Action
The Legendary Guest

I have done the agnostic argument so many times, I now have it on a word document to save time.
Bwahaha!! rofl Eventually you'll be able to Copy/Paste your way through every argument ever! X) And you could even take it a step further and create an Ai programmed with replies to generic statements and let it do all the work for you. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff