Welcome to Gaia! ::

LoveLoud837
IronySandwich
LoveLoud837
logical fallacy, of course, an agnostic can believe in a God but not know which god it believes in.

Fun fact: a single person can have more than one description that applies to them.

This hypothetical person is a theist. They believe in a God. Their agnosticism is irrelevant.

What you are doing is like objecting to someone being called blonde by pointing out that they are right handed.

A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option.

this is the logical fallacy.

Are we going to attack eachother about logical fallacies, when you're clearly wrong, or are we going to discuss the topic?

What you are doing is like telling your buddy who is trying to get a game of football going that you can't tie your shoes.

It is not a false dilemma to point out when a pair of words is literally a dichotomy, as is theist/atheist. There are not other "options". There can be ambiguity, and plenty of "it's complicated", but none of that makes a word pair where one set is literally defined as the compliment the another set have a "third way".

Your example makes no sense. Those two options are clearly unrelated, and I'm not the one trying to claim that a position on topic A prevents a person from taking a position on unrelated topic B. You are the one putting forth a false dilemma by saying that a person who is an agnostic theist can't be a theist because they are agnostic.
Infamy In Action

"But I'm still spiritual."
There are a ton of spiritual atheists. More than you think. Spirituality and Religion do not have to mean the same thing. Some atheists are very new-agey and believe in more than just what is physically presented to us, they just deny the god factor.

I'm of the idea that atheism is believing that there is no such thing as God.

So what is spirituality to an atheist?

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

There are a ton of spiritual atheists. More than you think. Spirituality and Religion do not have to mean the same thing. Some atheists are very new-agey and believe in more than just what is physically presented to us, they just deny the god factor.

Spirituality does not mean "gods", which is what atheists don't believe in. Your idea is wrong, and you've been told that numerous times.
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

Spirituality does not mean "gods", which is what atheists don't believe in. Your idea is wrong, and you've been told that numerous times.
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

See bold.

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

That depends on the atheist. The only uniting factor between one atheist and the next is the lack of belief in gods.
Lucky~9~Lives
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

See bold.
Ok. What does that entail?

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Rumblestiltskin
Mei tsuki7
That's false.

No...it's not.

Quote:
It's extremely relevant seeing as it makes everything subjective.

The reason why it's irrelevant is because the definition of god has no bearing on whether people believe it or not...which is the only determining factor in whether someone is a theist or an atheist.
This is a thing worth noting-

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
AliKat1988
Rumblestiltskin
Mei tsuki7
That's false.

No...it's not.

Quote:

The reason why it's irrelevant is because the definition of god has no bearing on whether people believe it or not...which is the only determining factor in whether someone is a theist or an atheist.

Not really. Whether theological positions assume too much about a god or not is irrelevant to whether people believe the claims or not. People might justify not believing by pointing this out...but it's still not entirely relevant to the point.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Rumblestiltskin
AliKat1988
Rumblestiltskin
Mei tsuki7
That's false.

No...it's not.

Quote:

Not really. Whether theological positions assume too much about a god or not is irrelevant to whether people believe the claims or not. People might justify not believing by pointing this out...but it's still not entirely relevant to the point.
How do you know if you believe in a god if you don't even have a definition of what a god is?

Floppy Member

AliKat1988
Rumblestiltskin
AliKat1988
Rumblestiltskin
Mei tsuki7
That's false.

No...it's not.

Quote:

How do you know if you believe in a god if you don't even have a definition of what a god is?

If the definition is incoherent, I cannot believe in the god because I cannot understand that the option even exists. I don't think all theists think that through thoroughly with respect to their own belief claims, do you?
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

That depends on the atheist. The only uniting factor between one atheist and the next is the lack of belief in gods.
Actually that's a uniting factor among non-Christians. The uniting factor among atheists is that God does not exist.

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
Infamy In Action

Actually that's a uniting factor among non-Christians. The uniting factor among atheists is that God does not exist.

Non-Christian theists of all types believe in gods. Atheists do not believe in any of them. I talk philosophy - you talk nonsense. This isn't sensible. Come back when you can function without having to redefine other people's stances in order to support your own.
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest

Non-Christian theists of all types believe in gods. Atheists do not believe in any of them. I talk philosophy - you talk nonsense. This isn't sensible. Come back when you can function without having to redefine other people's stances in order to support your own.
So atheists believe that gods exist?

Floppy Member

Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest
Artistic Layman
The Legendary Guest

So atheists believe that gods exist?

Which gods? Give me a god and I'll tell you if I believe in it.

Atheism is not the positive assertion that no gods exist. Play semantics all you want. The result will be the same.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff