Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
I'm biracial, Hispanic and white. It's funny, because I'm currently in an interracial relationship as well (if you count my white, Irish boyfriend as being interracial) and he's actually darker than me because he's constantly working out in the sun and I'm a serious, sun-avoiding nerd. We're talking a good two shades. But when I do get out in the sun, I tan rather quickly.
Harpyjack
I'm biracial, Hispanic and white. It's funny, because I'm currently in an interracial relationship as well (if you count my white, Irish boyfriend as being interracial) and he's actually darker than me because he's constantly working out in the sun and I'm a serious, sun-avoiding nerd. We're talking a good two shades. But when I do get out in the sun, I tan rather quickly.

Same here. I usually have a coffee and cream color to my skin, but if you put me out in the sun for a few minutes I tan but only slightly. You guys sound like a cute couple. 4laugh

Beloved Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Metheshrew
Princess Julia Of Heart
User Image
♥Julie Says://♥

Yeah...first time posting. The other night I noticed Metheshrew's siggy and got curious.
This may entertain some of you and others it might be too long but this is somewhat my story.
Skip to the bottom part if you're too lazy to read.

As a child my parents didn't really let me out and socialize with people until I was almost six and a half. So I only knew my parents and close family members. I didn't understand color because my dad's half of the family is Hispanic (as in Spain) and Native American (two different tribes, one of the darker ones and one of the tribes that had white white skin) and my mom's half was Latin (from Mexico but were of the nearly pure European variety) and were also part Native American also (the ones that are like medium toned). So my mom looks almost white and my dad is very dark (as a child if I tanned enough in the summer I could pass for a black person).
Some of my cousin's were part Irish and such so they looked white and some were darker like us (basically until recently we had a lot of races in the family except black and as far as I know Asian).
Eventually when I did start going outside I didn't understand what races were or that the different colors meant different like areas of the world and such.
So to me black, white, Mexican, Hispanic, Asian and stuff were all the same. We all just had different features.
The town where I grew up is mostly white people though or whited out races like Asian people who act white. Eventually I discovered through them and school that races did exist and I just shrugged it off.
When I hit puberty though these two girls used to call me the n word and stuff and I didn't understand. Since I did hit puberty I've been called a lot of racist names, not that I really care but half the time they're calling me the wrong race so I just think of how stupid they are.

But as it starts here, I've always been attracted to white or at least white looking guys. Unfortunately nobody where I lived was willing to date someone with imperfect features or that didn't dress up and do their makeup all the time so I didn't really date all that much.
I stopped going outside because I have a skin disorder that if I'm exposed to sunlight for too long it super dries out my skin and it starts bubbling so I've become lighter over the years.
About two years ago though I met this cute guy (lol my boyfriend now) on Gaia and we hit it off. Long story short we were separated by 1500+ miles and I had decided to come up here to be with him.
When I discussed it with my Aunt she began making racist comments that because its Oregon that white people wouldn't like me and would be racist and that no one would accept our relationship.
Honestly nothing had hurt me more than her saying those types of things.
Most of my family has wanted me to settle down with a Hispanic or Mexican. Because my grandmother believed to keep it within similar races. My cousins who are closer to my age told me not to listen. Our generation has been branching out into dating different races and have been quite happy once we find the person we click with.
The problem is though that even my own dad doesn't like the fact I'm dating someone white (my mom could care less because she's been everywhere already.) And growing up in my family (we're not actually racist mind you) we make racial jokes about every race. We apologize if we offend anyone but basically we just trade off jokes about that sort of thing, it can be an ice breaker.

Blegh so spazzy about writing this but in short
Native American/Hispanic/Latina dating a White (of several white races but still) boy.
This disturbs people for some reason and I can't understand why.

♥ Julie

I was actually just in Oregon (we were passing through on our way to Seattle). I don't remember running into any racist people. In fact, people were actually pretty nice. When we stopped in Grants Pass we didn't see a lot of people of color, but no one seemed to be bothered by our skin color or the fact that my mother is white. It just goes to show that you can't believe what anyone says until you experience something yourself.
As for your aunt, sometimes people who are used to things going a certain way get a little uncomfortable when things don't go as planned. My mother grew up in Gettysburg PA. My grandmother was a racist, or at least she thought she was. She didn't approve of my dad at first, but then she grew to love him. It turned out that she wasn't really racist at all. She just wasn't used to someone in the family dating someone who wasn't white. When you grow up in a small town like Gettysburg, I think it's a little harder to realize that people who look different are really no more different than you are. Now, the last time we visited Gettysburg we were greeted by A LOT of stares, and they were not nice stares. I was very uncomfortable at first, but then I realized they were just like my grandma. They weren't used to seeing a family like mine, so they were just not comfortable with what they saw. I can guarantee, however, that if they took the time to get to know us like my grandma got to know my dad they'd have no problem with us.

Too true. My aunt is a bit too controlling, my mother who is quite a bit younger than her was always getting told what to do by my aunt but my mom put on her srs face and ignored her.
My mother although not the sharpest crayon in the box tends to know what to do in those types of situation. Quite literally she said 'Your aunt needs to shut the hell up and mind her own business.'
Felt bad because that is my aunt she's talking about but then again...
Metheshrew
MortuusATA
Metheshrew
MortuusATA
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/lifestyle-discussion/interracial-relationships/t.74121173_1/

Discussion! Still convinced he is a troll but whatever! good things to bring up

Ugh, I can't believe he used the 'think about the children' argument. Seriously, when people use this I wonder how many biracial or multiracial people they know to base the assumption that they'll have it more rough than other children who are neither biracial or multiracial. /rant.

I think it also depends on where and who my SO and a few others find the mixed thing very cute, and both sides of my family have embraced me. This of course was after the original issue with my mom and grandparents (my grandma actually did get disowned for marrying my grandpa *who is black* then when my mom *half breed* was about 18 my great grandma made a stand and said she wanted to see her daughter and her grandkids or else she'd kick ggpa to the curb.) After that, we were welcome in all homes, there was no trouble.

I think the worst issue was that I was slowly getting into a "black power" phase and some 80 year old ex-panther told me I was a disgrace to my race, but that was about it.

The kid was still trolling.

LOL Obvious troll was obvious.
I've been given the 'disgrace' speech as well, because I was not 'acting black enough.' This came from other kids. At first I was hurt, but now when I look back on it I can only laugh. It's like, how exactly does one act out a skin tone? Besides, like I said earlier, no one really cared for those people anyway. I had more friends than bullies.

unfortunately I still get comments like this. and i'm 21 years old User Image

5,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
Metheshrew
Harpyjack

Same here. I usually have a coffee and cream color to my skin, but if you put me out in the sun for a few minutes I tan but only slightly. You guys sound like a cute couple. 4laugh

Thanks. biggrin
Metheshrew
luna the last wolf
Metheshrew
luna the last wolf
So awesome shocking moment of the weekend story time~!!

It was my birthday this past Sunday, and I didn't really plan on having a party, just a few friends over for cake and ice cream. I was doing some laundry the late morning of and my grandfather stops making his lunch to look at me and say, "You can invite that boy over. It's your birthday and I want you to be happy. While I'm not going to change, my opinions, I wont do anything to embarrass you." Both my uncle and I had to stop and do a double take to properly understand him.

So I did what he said I could and invited my boyfriend over. Later on in the party thing, my grandfather walked in the kitchen and saw my little sister trying to take a picture of us, so he took the camera from her. We all thought he was just going to close the camera and walk away, but he took a picture of us, and was smiling.

Then a little later we were all playing Mario Kart on my gamecube. Two of our other friends were racing and I was sitting in his lap and my little sister in mine. Then my grandfather walked in our den and smiled again. It was certainly shocking, but wonderful.

Wow, that's amazing! xd I'm so glad it was a good day for you, and that your grandfather put his opinions aside for you to be happy on your birthday. ^^ Have you and your grandfather talked about your relationship since then?

It was, the day was great~ We haven't at all, the topic hasn't been brought up. I think he may be pretending as though it never actually happened. =/ But I mean, maybe things will slowly change. I know my boyfriend wanted to talk to my grandfather and thank him, but that was immediately after the party and it was thought and advised by my older sister that it wait.

Well, I think there may be a chance that your grandpa might not be as racist as he thinks himself to be. At least, that's how it seems to me. My grandma wasn't too pleased with my mother when she introduced my dad to her, but after getting to know him she loved him. I think it had to do with the way she was brought up and where she lived. My mother had the opportunity to move out of her small town in PA and move to Long Beach, California. Cities like Long Beach expose a person to many different cultures and ethnicities, but my grandma hadn't had that opportunity growing up. I think it mostly has to do with how a person was brought up. I think after some time maybe your grandpa will learn to love your boyfriend like my grandma loved my dad. *crosses fingers for you.*

I do believe it has a lot to do with where he was brought up, and thank you, I really do too! :3
luna the last wolf
Metheshrew
luna the last wolf
Metheshrew
luna the last wolf
So awesome shocking moment of the weekend story time~!!

It was my birthday this past Sunday, and I didn't really plan on having a party, just a few friends over for cake and ice cream. I was doing some laundry the late morning of and my grandfather stops making his lunch to look at me and say, "You can invite that boy over. It's your birthday and I want you to be happy. While I'm not going to change, my opinions, I wont do anything to embarrass you." Both my uncle and I had to stop and do a double take to properly understand him.

So I did what he said I could and invited my boyfriend over. Later on in the party thing, my grandfather walked in the kitchen and saw my little sister trying to take a picture of us, so he took the camera from her. We all thought he was just going to close the camera and walk away, but he took a picture of us, and was smiling.

Then a little later we were all playing Mario Kart on my gamecube. Two of our other friends were racing and I was sitting in his lap and my little sister in mine. Then my grandfather walked in our den and smiled again. It was certainly shocking, but wonderful.

Wow, that's amazing! xd I'm so glad it was a good day for you, and that your grandfather put his opinions aside for you to be happy on your birthday. ^^ Have you and your grandfather talked about your relationship since then?

It was, the day was great~ We haven't at all, the topic hasn't been brought up. I think he may be pretending as though it never actually happened. =/ But I mean, maybe things will slowly change. I know my boyfriend wanted to talk to my grandfather and thank him, but that was immediately after the party and it was thought and advised by my older sister that it wait.

Well, I think there may be a chance that your grandpa might not be as racist as he thinks himself to be. At least, that's how it seems to me. My grandma wasn't too pleased with my mother when she introduced my dad to her, but after getting to know him she loved him. I think it had to do with the way she was brought up and where she lived. My mother had the opportunity to move out of her small town in PA and move to Long Beach, California. Cities like Long Beach expose a person to many different cultures and ethnicities, but my grandma hadn't had that opportunity growing up. I think it mostly has to do with how a person was brought up. I think after some time maybe your grandpa will learn to love your boyfriend like my grandma loved my dad. *crosses fingers for you.*

I do believe it has a lot to do with where he was brought up, and thank you, I really do too! :3

You're very welcome! I wish you the best of luck, and please keep us posted. ^^
It looks funny to me, but that's just me. Other then that I don't give a ********.

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
just posting to say i support
Hoshioni

Thanks. heart

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
Metheshrew
Hoshioni

Thanks. heart

what does annoy me though are idiots who believe all biracial children will be dieased over some stupid myth spreaded with no proof [or think its new mixed races, history....needs to be taught]

and inversly believe that '' if you dont find ________ sexually appealing then your racist. [people like what they like, doesnt make them haters]
Hoshioni
Metheshrew
Hoshioni

Thanks. heart

what does annoy me though are idiots who believe all biracial children will be dieased over some stupid myth spreaded with no proof [or think its new mixed races, history....needs to be taught]

and inversly believe that '' if you dont find ________ sexually appealing then your racist. [people like what they like, doesnt make them haters]

People believe in that myth because they obviously don't know a lot of biracial people.

People who state the second comment are obviously ignorant. I'm half black, and I'm rarely attracted to black guys. It doesn't make me racist at all. I can't help who I am attracted to.

Witty Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I'm a bunch of races mashed together ( Caucasian -German, Hispanic, and Asian-Korean) and I just moved to Iowa to my new University. I swear, when I walked into a Mcdonalds people were staring at me funny like they've never seen a brown person before X_X;. I mean, most of the people here are nice and don't say harsh things...its just kind of funny how they stare and sometimes ask questions like "What Ethnicity are you?" My new best friend said "You look so much like my friend in middle school but she was Mexican. O_O; You're just a very tan white girl." XD Gosh~

It's odd too because I have a ton of cellphone charms on my phone and a group of Chinese foreign exchange students were like "You're so Asian! Come hang with us.' X_O; I don't know how Cell phone charms make you Asian, but ok? XD hahaha!

Anywho, I'm still dating my Filipino Boyfriend and so far I have not seen other multi-racial couples roaming around campus. I wish there were more :/

Fashionable Citizen

8,925 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Forum Junior 100
i'm all for it, love is meant to be spread heart
I'm in total support <3 I'm African-American and I my boyfriend is Caucasian. When we first started dating my boyfriend almost got kicked out of the house for wanting to date me by his mom. It was partially because she wanted him to date inside his race and also because she was scared of how his grandparents would react. (Which is funny now because his grandma has no problems with me and even told him that as long as you love her and really care about her, everything else doesn't matter) Though, I never really got to meet his grandpa. I was kinda kept secret from most of his family for a while, and during that time his grandpa passed away...

But now everything is cool. His mom is alright with everything (and the rest of his family is AWESOME) My mom's side has no problems with us (alot of people on her side of the family are mixed) yet on my dad's side, even though they don't say anything about it, I can tell that aren't really comfortable with it. In fact, even though my dad says otherwise, I really think my dad didn't want to go to my cousin's wedding because he was marrying a white girl. (He kept saying he had to go to work. But my mom found out from a message on the phone that he never went to work) Also some people at the wedding left super early because they weren't comfortable with my cousin's choice...which is so ignorant in this time and age...sigh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff