Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Cultist

I told her I'm an atheist and she flipped, started to b***h me out and being to toss the bible my way telling me that if I didn't believe I was going to hell. She also said that I better believe or else.

Yes I know I'm young, only 16 but I have felt that way since
I was young. Growing older only further confirms my beliefs. Her reaction has hurt me deeply, she told me she would be supportive when she brought it up, but shes not shes just cruel and it makes me feel like crying.

:c I really shouldn't have vented but my question is what should I do? Should I just say in a few weeks that I believe in god and get it over with?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all c: you have all been very kind with your words i feel a bit better not as emotionally unstable but i refuse to speak to my mother other then little thins right bow maybe tomorrow I'd be more willing to speak to her. Again thank you all very much I love you all c:

Edit- c; again thank you for the different points of view, I accept shes just generally worried. She has gotten over it and now shes acting like my mother again. We dont talk about religion, and I jumped on her when she was drinking. She had found her drink to be a little yellow even though it was vodka and I said there was probably Devils cut in it, she responded with "oh you'd know all about that." I did jump on her for bringing it up.
Yes were still going to church, I dont mind it really I think it gives me an in sight on how the whole religion (Christan, baptist denomination) works.

Also about the religion argument, Catholics and Christian (also Jewish and other religions) have different denominations, but they all recognize as the big over head title.
Your mother is a crazy, bible humping b***h. Most (that i've experienced) devoted Christians, Catholics, etc. are basically like "Believe in me and what I think is right, aka the bible, or I ******** hate you/you'll burn".

Don't let her push you around. You are more than old enough to make your own choices on what you believe in. She can't treat you like s**t just because your beliefs are different. Everyone is entitled to their own freedoms.

I grew up in a religious household, and it took awhile for my mom to accept the fact that I'm an atheist. I don't see a point in worshipping something imaginary that does more harm than good...

You have to stick to what you feel is right, and what you believe in.

If your mom is a good parent, she'll let you be your own person. You shouldn't listen to someone, if it goes against what you believe, solely because they hold some semblance of power over you... You deserve better
Lol Fundamentalists.
That's hella dumb if she said she would support you then flips a b***h.
Just give her the cold shoulder cause deserves it

Romantic Lover

12,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
User Image
ỳoύя jύsτ αs soƒτ αs α ℓíoи ταмe∂
ỳoύя jύsτ αs ωєτ αs τhє єvєиíиg яαíи

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Give her time to cool off. I'm just thinking that right now she's overwhelmed with the news you gave her.

But if she still acts like this even after she's cooled off, just go and throw her the parable of the Good Samaritan and remind her that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ỳoύя ℓovє ís ∂яívíиg мє…
ỳoύя ∂яívíиg мє íиsαиє

User Image

Tipsy Prophet

I wouldn't lie about believing. The cat is already out of the bag, so she just needs o find a way to cope with that fact.

7,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
She must not really love you then, if she's more obbssed with a "god" then your well- being.
I suggest, move out when you can, (since you're only 16 you may have to wait a while) and just complelty cut her out of your life until she apologizes.
You don't need vermin like her in your life.
This is what exactly happened to me.
But I actually didn't say "I'm an Atheist", they just know.

Whenever we get on the topic of religion or god or whatever they get so intense and say stupid things like "I'm scared for you, you're going to go to hell" and "Stop denying your faith". They give me glares when I don't say prayers.

I was born and raised in a very Catholic household. I just ignore them. I love them, but I don't have the same views.
It gets VERY VERY irritating when they try and push me into Catholiscm.
They got offended when I was a mere small child and I called the wafer thing "a big cookie". I WAS A LITTLE KID.

They barely even go to church omg.
Only on holidays.
Respect your mother. She can't make you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, but you have to understand that it is extremely hard for her from her worldview to have a child who will not be with her in heaven. Most likely, she might be blaming herself for failing you, and is most likely extremely worried. She reacted sinfully, yes, but you must understand that the strong reaction is because she loves you so much and wants the best for you.

So, I wouldn't bring it up. If she asks you to do something, do it. Contribute to the household and do not criticize your mother. Once you are 18, move out of the house and live whatever life you want to live.

Omnipresent Cultist

Thank you all c: you have all been very kind with your words i feel a bit better not as emotionally unstable but i refuse to speak to my mother other then little thins right bow maybe tommorow i'd be more willing to speak to her.

Again thank you all very much i love you all c:
Not as bad as if you would have told her you're attracted to the same sex.

Mewling Paladin

I say come live with me and be apart of my family. Sure, my dad's side of the family tends to be Christain, but no one really gives a damn what you believe in. My mom's Wiccan and I'm somethign of my own creation [lol].
I don't like extreme Christains/Baptists/etc. There's this thing at my state's capitol every year called Pagan Pride day that's fun until about one in the afternoon when the church lets out. Then those bible humpers jump on a bus and come right on over and start calling us sinners and making kids cry by telling them that they and their parents are going to hell because they are witches! b***h, please -__-*
If they want to worship something that has no proof it exists than we can worship the earth and s**t like the broom ridin hippies we are emotion_awesome

Oh, and... HERE! Has a fat kids paradise~ yum_cupcake yum_donut yum_pie yum_icecreampie yum_pumpkinpie yum_strawberrypie yum_puddi yum_cupcake yum_donut yum_pie yum_icecreampie yum_pumpkinpie yum_strawberrypie yum_puddi

If she does not learn to accept what you are, she will regret it later when you two are so estranged that all either of you will get is the occasional card and visiting will only happen when someone gets hospitalized [I've seen it happen, mang!]

Beloved Noob

4,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
starsparkling
This is what exactly happened to me.
But I actually didn't say "I'm an Atheist", they just know.

Whenever we get on the topic of religion or god or whatever they get so intense and say stupid things like "I'm scared for you, you're going to go to hell" and "Stop denying your faith". They give me glares when I don't say prayers.

I was born and raised in a very Catholic household. I just ignore them. I love them, but I don't have the same views.
It gets VERY VERY irritating when they try and push me into Catholiscm.
They got offended when I was a mere small child and I called the wafer thing "a big cookie". I WAS A LITTLE KID.

They barely even go to church omg.
Only on holidays.

Omg, the OP and you. I'm SO surprised that there are even a few people on Gaia who've had similar experiences to me. I'm 18 and I'm JUST going through this now. I started hinting at it until finally I just said outright to my mother that I'm a nihilist and I don't appreciate the way she tried to shove her religion down my throat.

Oh, and like starssparking, my family/ma was SUPER serious about not dissing her religion. I called her Christian tv programs boring and she FLIPPED OUT... and I was like 8 years old! What kinda 8 year old NATURALLY wants to watch that stuff?

So anyways, don't try to reason with her. Just try to avoid religious topics as MUCH as possible. And even though I know it's annoying, still respect her wishes when you want to go to church or make the excuse that you have a big school project coming up that you just remembered and it's due on Monday. (Only if you're comfortable with lying though. wink )

Just consider this a test in patience blaugh 0=)

Beloved Noob

4,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Bitter Symphony

It depends on the parent. Some people claim they're "more worried about your soul" and the possibility of Hell rather than your "sin".
sweatdrop
Rinistein
Bitter Symphony

It depends on the parent. Some people claim they're "more worried about your soul" and the possibility of Hell rather than your "sin".
sweatdrop

True true. I had two of my aunts straight out told me I will go to hell.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff